• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be hard for her top the PERFECTION that is Kiss. But I'm sure she'll deliver yet again.

The palpable irony of when she said that while at a set sponsored by DORITOS of all things. Mess.
Only the queen would dare
giphy.gif

royalan

I mean, he's going to get viciously attacked for the way that he said it, but did Kid Rock lie?

On Beyoncé: “Beyoncé, to me, doesn’t have a f—ing “Purple Rain,” but she’s the biggest thing on Earth. How can you be that big without at least one “Sweet Home Alabama” or “Old Time Rock and Roll”? People are like, ‘Beyoncé’s hot. Got a nice f—ing ass.’ I’m like, ‘Cool, I like skinny white chicks with big t-ts.’ Doesn’t really f—ing do much for me.”

http://loudwire.com/kid-rock-insults-korn-beyonce-obama-praising-guns-axl-rose-u-s-troops/

It's one of the main things I think will keep her from being a true Queen of Pop. Whitney, Mariah and Celine have entire catalogs worth of iconic songs; songs that were wildly successful, stand the test of time, and become the flag-bearers for the Pop genre as a whole. Even Christina has these. Even Rihanna has a few.

The closest thing Beyonce has to an iconic song is Single Ladies, and even that is more "of its time" than timeless. You won't be hearing people sing that song 10 years from now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Beyonce wants true eternal icon status, she needs to improve the quality of her own musical output. Even the good stuff, the stuff she put out in the one era I truly stanned (B'Day) was all very unimaginative, very safe, and very on-trend. Beyonce has built her career on going into the studio and doing "the Beyonce version" of whatever was already hot, and even she admits this to a degree.

(And no, don't feed me that bullshit about how iconic BEYONCE was with its secret release and videos. None of that shit matters. At its core, Beyonce was a basic album that all but the most delusional will admit that nobody remembers TODAY, much less will remember 10 years from now for anything other than how it released. It's no The True Confessions of Lauryn Hill, it's no 21, and it's no Thriller.)

The sheer lackluster quality of most of Bey's music up until this point hasn't been a problem, admittedly because thanks to the quality of her talent, work ethic, and sheer will, Beyonce has been able to pretty much hammer any song and any producer into being lucrative for herself. But the end result is that none of that shit is truly timeless. Her songs don't last far beyond the moment in which she releases them. It's why her last true hit was a collab with Lady Gaga and why her last true solo hit (and only real contender for timeless song) was Single Ladies. It's why, even despite the MASSIVE buzz she got from her surprise release of BEYONCE, only Drunk in Love managed to in any way hook the public at large. It's why, these days, her best live performances are covers of other people.

Make a timeless song, Beyonce. You're such an icon, such a talent, it shouldn't be so hard.

Touchdown

Banned
I mean, he's going to get viciously attacked for the way that he said it, but did Kid Rock lie?

http://loudwire.com/kid-rock-insults-korn-beyonce-obama-praising-guns-axl-rose-u-s-troops/

It's one of the main things I think will keep her from being a true Queen of Pop. Whitney, Mariah and Celine have entire catalogs worth of iconic songs; songs that were wildly successful, stand the test of time, and become the flag-bearers for the Pop genre as a whole. Even Christina has these. Even Rihanna has a few.

The closest thing Beyonce has to an iconic song is Single Ladies, and even that is more "of its time" than timeless. You won't be hearing people sing that song 10 years from now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Beyonce wants true eternal icon status, she needs to improve the quality of her own musical output. Even the good stuff, the stuff she put out in the one era I truly stanned (B'Day) was all very unimaginative, very safe, and very on-trend. Beyonce has built her career on going into the studio and doing "the Beyonce version" of whatever was already hot, and even she admits this to a degree.

(And no, don't feed me that bullshit about how iconic BEYONCE was with its secret release and videos. None of that shit matters. At its core, Beyonce was a basic album that all but the most delusional will admit that nobody remembers TODAY, much less will remember 10 years from now for anything other than how it released. It's no The True Confessions of Lauryn Hill, it's no 21, and it's no Thriller.)

The sheer lackluster quality of most of Bey's music up until this point hasn't been a problem, admittedly because thanks to the quality of her talent, work ethic, and sheer will, Beyonce has been able to pretty much hammer any song and any producer into being lucrative for herself. But the end result is that none of that shit is truly timeless. Her songs don't last far beyond the moment in which she releases them. It's why her last true hit was a collab with Lady Gaga and why her last true solo hit (and only real contender for timeless song) was Single Ladies. It's why, even despite the MASSIVE buzz she got from her surprise release of BEYONCE, only Drunk in Love managed to in any way hook the public at large.

Make a timeless song, Beyonce. You're such an icon, such a talent, it shouldn't be so hard.

He didn't lie tbh

tumblr_n0wq6r0hZw1sn7zr6o6_250.gif

royalan

Sis, you know you reaching with that. I'm not even going to pull out the receipts, because I don't have to and you know it.

I've actually been musing over this for a moment, because I'll admit one thing: Beyonce's Stevie Wonder tribute was everything. I loved it in spite of myself. As much as the "hater" in me wanted to hate it and find something, ANYTHING to dislike about it, I couldn't. She snatched the fuck out of that performance.

But for the life of me, I couldn't remember the last time Beyonce gave such an impassioned, technically perfect, and completely performance of her own damn music. Kiii

Sis, you know you reaching with that.
Oh auntie. Your catalogs comment was specious at best. As if the laymen could list more than a few songs off of the top of their head by any one the artists you listed. That is not to diminish is their accomplishments. They have succeeded on their own merits. But lets not act like outside of the BIG songs that anyone who doesn't stan only knows that they are supposed to think the 3 you listed are iconic. But they can't remember why. Which, I suppose, could be said for anyone.

--------------------
In other news:

Kid Fury stanned the whole entire fuck out for Rihanna today. I got my life. The stanning starts at about 27:58 in. Get into it.

royalan

Oh auntie. Your catalogs comment was specious at best. As if the laymen could list more than a few songs off of the top of their head by any one the artists you listed. That is not to diminish is their accomplishments. They have succeeded on their own merits. But lets not act like outside of the BIG songs that anyone who doesn't stan only knows that they are supposed to think the 3 you listed are iconic. But they can't remember why. Which, I suppose, could be said for anyone.

--------------------
In other news:

Kid Fury stanned the whole entire fuck out for Rihanna today. I got my life. The stanning starts at about 27:58 in. Get into it.

Not you posting this RIGHT as I started listening to this week's The Read.

The dramatic build up of that middle section is amazing. I wish it kept that same tone throughout the rest of the song.
But once she gets there, it's so loin-quiveringly electric that I think the "cool down" is necessary. It got me catatonic enough :p

But if unrelenting drama is what you're after, then may I offer this lightning BOLT(on) or this As I Li(fe-giving) or this It's Only My (Best Performance Ever)

YAS. and roy better SIT with his fatuous "sohyang has no emotion, sohyang is a singing robot, sohyang isn't eternally flawless" comments xd

rhandino

Banned
Bjork on keeping "VULNICURA" off Spotify: "It's about respect, you know?"
To work on something for two or three years and then just, Oh, here it is for free. It’s not about the money; it’s about respect, you know? Respect for the craft and the amount of work you put into it. But maybe Netflix is a good model. You go first to the cinema and after a while it will come on ­Netflix. Maybe that’s the way to go with streaming. It’s first physical and then maybe you can stream it later.

Link
ZJkAbRh.gif

Let me erase that tool of Satan of my PC since Taylord and Bjorksus have spoken
/s

---

The interview is interesting since she also speaks about Vulnicura and the "Stonemilker" video for Oculus Rift but god if some artists are annoyed by Spotify. Can't blame them though =/

Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I don't fucks with Spotify. I'm still dragging and dropping my CBRs and VBRs onto my Sansa.

It's not worth investing in Spotify, in any case, until its selection comes within eyeshot of the iTunes store.

3phemeral

But once she gets there, it's so loin-quiveringly electric that I think the "cool down" is necessary. It got me catatonic enough :p

But if unrelenting drama is what you're after, then may I offer this lightning BOLT(on) or this As I Li(fe-giving) or this It's Only My (Best Performance Ever)

YAS. and roy better SIT with his fatuous "sohyang has no emotion, sohyang is a singing robot, sohyang isn't eternally flawless" comments xd

I prefer dramatic singing especially when I don't understand the language. :) The subtleties of emotion are lost on me when I don't really associate it with a lyrical sentiment. Thanks for the links, sis. Lean On Me seems to be one of her better English covers but something about her tonality when she's not singing Korean is so unpalatable to my ears but that belt at 3:15!

And I love As I Live!

BPki6u

If there are any songs that Roy would probably like, it would be As I Live, Where Are You , but most especially Fate.

I mean, come on! The melody for Fate is like an angel descended from the veil, wrapped your ears in silk and returned you to Heaven while whispering softly in your ear. That is, until the snare drums pounded and you were stripped of your clothes where a choir of angels made sweet, sweet celestial love to your corporeal body until you climaxed at that flawless head voice, to which you were then further stricken unconscious and laid to rest atop a pillowy cloud whereby you were absolutely deceased from spiritual excitement, only to be reborn by the intensity of that last chest-voice belt!

RZHKaY

If anyone has a first exposure to SoHyang, it should definitely be Fate.

RZHKaY

If anyone has a first exposure to SoHyang, it should definitely be Fate.
Agreed - it's her most emotionally resonant performance I think.

Personally, on a strictly entertainment/play-count/daily usability basis, I'd rank ha thusly:

1) Dream (big band Disney princess realness)

2) I Always Miss You (addictive, be warned)

3) O Holy Night (I'm constantly shuffling back and forth between whether hers or Mariah's is better)

wow, it's getting late

tumblr_inline_mqmxg5Ebm81qz4rgp.gif

3phemeral

Agreed - it's her most emotionally resonant performance I think.

Personally, on a strictly entertainment/play-count/daily usability basis, I'd rank ha thusly:

1) Dream (big band Disney princess realness)

2) I Always Miss You (addictive, be warned)

3) O Holy Night (I'm constantly shuffling back and forth between whether hers or Mariah's is better)

wow, it's getting late

tumblr_inline_mqmxg5Ebm81qz4rgp.gif
For O Holy Night, she does the same thing with those sustained notes. She does this scooping up to a higher note that I don't find when she sings in Korean. But it's easy for me, as much as her highs are incredibly resonant and effortless, Mariah incorporates highs and lows that are both so satisfying. I haven't heard SoHyang use much of her lower register.

Listening to I Always Miss you and it's really cute. I can use. It's a shame these videos have those voting graphics overlaid because it blocks some of the glorious reactions the audience members have to her.

For O Holy Night, she does the same thing with those sustained notes. She does this scooping up to a higher note that I don't find when she sings in Korean. But it's easy for me, as much as her highs are incredibly resonant and effortless, Mariah incorporates highs and lows that are both so satisfying. I haven't heard SoHyang use much of her lower register.

Listening to I Always Miss you and it's really cute. I can use. It's a shame these videos have those voting graphics overlaid because it blocks some of the glorious reactions the audience members have to her.
I think part of it is that she's not comfortable with the vowel sounds that the English songs require, so she's somewhat awkward in her phrasing. Timing's occasionally an issue as well, but that's improved a boatload since her disastrous teenage years.

Other than Beyonce, I can't think another singer who's had such a shockingly MASSIVE and consistent vocal improvement. Seriously, the Sohyang from 2012 and beyond is a vocalist on par with prime Barbra, Mariah, and Whitney, in my opinion.

Around 2010 or so, she started training with the same vocal coach Xtina commissioned in 2012 or 2013.

Obviously, it was only money well spent for one of them.

3phemeral

I think part of it is that she's not comfortable with the vowel sounds that the English songs require, so she's somewhat awkward in her phrasing. Timing's occasionally an issue as well, but that's improved a boatload since her disastrous teenage years.
Despite not understanding a lick of anything she said, that was the absolute most gospel-y I've ever heard her. To the point where I could almost use had it not been for those wierd yelps of half speak-screeching.

Other than Beyonce, I can't think another singer who's had such a shockingly MASSIVE and consistent vocal improvement. Seriously, the Sohyang from 2012 and beyond is a vocalist on par with prime Barbra, Mariah, and Whitney, in my opinion.
I can't think of any popular singer who has either. Rihanna seems to have become consistent and stable, but that's about it.

Around 2010 or so, she started training with the same vocal coach Xtina commissioned in 2012 or 2013.

Obviously, it was only money well spent for one of them.
BPki6u

I think Xtina had the ability to sing properly and mix well, as seen in her "Oh Mother" performance when she kicked off B2B, but then she made a stylistic change for her live performances that didn't have any musical sense and it dragged her vocals down to hell because of it.

That's the sad part. Xtina had the potential to be a true songstress juggernaut, but she squandered it all away with tasteless vocal stylings, comically bad technique, and zero self-awareness to actually hone her craft.

Even artistically, her music has been a total pile of nothing since B2B. I can't even call it an entertaining trainwreck - her post-aughts discography is just one big identity crisis.

I'd read that she was working with Harmony Samuels for her next album, which gives me hope. That early '00s nu-soul/R&B sound is exactly what she should have been doing the past ten years.

3phemeral

That's the sad part. Xtina had the potential to be a true songstress juggernaut, but she squandered it all away with tasteless vocal stylings, comically bad technique, and zero self-awareness to actually hone her craft.

Even artistically, her music has been a total pile of nothing since B2B. I can't even call it an entertaining trainwreck - her post-aughts discography is just one big identity crisis.

I'd read that she was working with Harmony Samuels for her next album, which gives me hope. That early '00s nu-soul/R&B sound is exactly what she should have been doing the past ten years.
I actually use Bionic, but I think it should have been split into two albums (not the two that it was released as), but two as in "Hey, here are my quirky party bops" and then the "Serious indie-inspired tracks." I can use both depending on my mood.

My track reordering for Bionic:

Part I:
Not Myself Tonight
Woohoo
Desnudate
Glam
Prima Donna
I Hate Boys
My Girls
Vanity
Bobblehead

Part II:
Elastic Love
Sex for Breakfast
Lift Me Up (live version slays the album one)
All I Need
I Am
You Lost Me
Monday Morning
Birds of Prey
Stronger Than Ever

The shame with Xtina is she used to have these great runs that I would have on repeat in my head all day trying to learn but at some point she just stopped being creative with them. They had such an impact that I can even remember which track, what section of the song, and which live performance it was to this day.

3phemeral

E f f i n' right!

And yeah, Kyon and DMJ need to come back.

I miss DMJ because he inspired me to make this:

WOMQpt

But obviously because everyone hates when a member of PopGAF is permabanned.

I just noticed Minus seems to have super dithered (like, extremely) my gifs for some reason. I think the only one that might have taken up a lot of their bandwidth was the Beyonce Bleach one, though.

royalan

Bjork on keeping "VULNICURA" off Spotify: "It's about respect, you know?"

ZJkAbRh.gif

Let me erase that tool of Satan of my PC since Taylord and Bjorksus have spoken
/s

---

The interview is interesting since she also speaks about Vulnicura and the "Stonemilker" video for Oculus Rift but god if some artists are annoyed by Spotify. Can't blame them though =/

Another artist outs themselves as an idiot.

Only Taylor has an excuse for her idiocy. Her clout is big and current enough that she can pull a stunt like this and still have big record sales.

Bjork? Honey, the only way someone was going to listen to your shit in 2015 was via streaming. #Bye

rude

Banned
No tea, no shade, but Volcanorihanna wasn't even a good album. Bjork has been making the most [ d e p l o r a b l e ] shit since like Volta.

Yado

Another artist outs themselves as an idiot.

Only Taylor has an excuse for her idiocy. Her clout is big and current enough that she can pull a stunt like this and still have big record sales.

Bjork? Honey, the only way someone was going to listen to your shit in 2015 was via streaming. #Bye

Her music being on or off spotify won't impact her career in any way. Why should she care?
It was a bigger risk for an artist like Taylor tbh.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Didn't get tickets to Marina
They sold out in two minutes
this is what she gets for only having one UK show the silly bint
I'm so annoyed

Didn't get tickets to Marina
They sold out in two minutes
this is what she gets for only having one UK show the silly bint
I'm so annoyed
Neither did I. I heroically DRAGGED myself out of bed to get tickets and they were sold out like instantly. Not only that, but half of them have gone up on GetMeIn, Stubhub, ViaGogo etc for 5x the price. Fuck that shit.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Neither did I. I heroically DRAGGED myself out of bed to get tickets and they were sold out like instantly. Not only that, but half of them have gone up on GetMeIn, Stubhub, ViaGogo etc for 5x the price. Fuck that shit.

hoping she manages to add another date on the 12th but given she's performing on the 13th in usa I doubt it
she is so damn rude

hoping she manages to add another date on the 12th but given she's performing on the 13th in usa I doubt it
she is so damn rude
The 11th was the only night I'd be able to see her cus I was heading down there for EGX and we would've landed just in time for the show. Bitch tbh

Also apparently there was an O2 Priority pre-sale on Wednesday, and then a LiveNation presale yesterday too but she didn't mention either of them. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom