• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at this point Madonna's albums are only really there as an excuse to tour - why doesn't she just skip the albums and tour instead? She could release a few songs every now and then, if necessary.

Touchdown

Banned
People love to watch a good car wreck. Her tours always do very well.

a8ea1cee64.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
And y'all thought I was being silly when I said she should just start over.

This era is embarrassing. Has done nothing but tarnish her legacy.

the single-buying public is not imo here for madonna any more, so i'm not sure why you think aborting an era and trying hard for ephemeral lead single success is a better plan than sticking with it, getting decent opening week alber sales (as per) and then settling in for another record-breaking world tour.

living for love is actually a good song. better than GMAYL in any case. probably her best lead single since hung up.

Carly song is IMMENSE. The terrifying thing is that it will either be #1 for months or make no impact at all.

I thought it was very enjoyable overall, what you didn't like? I kind of ignored "I Have a Dream" but I got my life to everything else.
The vocals are good of course, and the production is surprisingly fresh but something is falling flat for me-- cringeworthy lyricism and a complete lack of hooks, if I had to put my finger on it. It's like the entire album is the second half of PRISM (except the songs don't sound like demos). If this is her last pop album I wouldn't even be mad about it. She can do better, and I know this because the near-perfect Wrapped In Red wasn't too long ago...

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
but wait
that carly song
I use

So at this point Madonna's albums are only really there as an excuse to tour - why doesn't she just skip the albums and tour instead? She could release a few songs every now and then, if necessary.

I have no idea why bands/artists do this. The Rolling Stones do it, Rush do it, Pearl Jam do it. Maybe it's a way to pretend they are nothing but nostalgia acts at this point.

That new Carly track is pretty good. If it goes to the top 10 I would consider it a success.

rhandino

Banned
omfffffffff

fantasia2_5_gif3.gif

LINK

pure pop slayáge

Taylor tried
What in the... I'm on my 5th replay x_x

5FW1mos.gif

===

The vocals are good of course, and the production is surprisingly fresh but something is falling flat for me-- cringeworthy lyricism and a complete lack of hooks, if I had to put my finger on it. It's like the entire album is the second half of PRISM (except the songs don't sound like demos). If this is her last pop album I wouldn't even be mad about it. She can do better, and I know this because the near-perfect Wrapped In Red wasn't too long ago...
kii, You aren't lying about Prism Vol. 2 (specially in some of the more uptbeat songs) and I think that the reason I'm enjoying it that much is because of that X_x.

Also, I still haven't listened to "Wrapped in Red" so let me give it a listen tonight.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
its odd because this carly song reminds me of taylor but I like it more than anything taylor has done
slay a bit carly, hope its successful

3phemeral

I was liking that Carly song up until the:

I really really really really really really like you

Ugh. It's probably going to be a hit and I'll have to listen to that incessant repetition of that single word ad nauseum.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I was liking that Carly song up until the:

I really really really really really really like you

Ugh. It's probably going to be a hit and I'll have to listen to that incessant repetition of that single word ad nauseum.

I dont mine the Ohhhhhs and Ahhhs that many songs use as a way to add more time to the track but repeating words like that annoys me.

trips

Neo Member
Carlysus stole her sound back from taylor and made a song better than anything on 1989. Can we stop pretending to like pop taylor now?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

LOL

In other news.
Saturday at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, Grande faced one of the bigger tests of her career. The 21-year-old headlined an arena for only the second time on her first-ever tour.

And it showed. The Bradley Center may have been filled to near-capacity with automatically adoring teen and preteen "Arianators." But the Milwaukee stop on Grande's "Honeymoon Tour" didn't signify the birth of the next superstar. Most of the time, it felt like a dress rehearsal.

Uninspired, misguided direction was a problem. Grande floated in on a cloud for "Best Mistake," uncomfortably cooing while her boyfriend delivered a guest verse on the video screen behind her. Two songs later, she floated in again — this time on a chandelier, for a not-so-great "Gatsby"-style set piece with a Mac Miller video cameo that looked like it was shot in a closet.

And one of the show's few novel twists — the use of vocal-distorting gloves for "Why Try," introduced via video by rambling celebrity endorser Imogen Heap — was underwhelming and ill-conceived. Who honestly thought chopping up and electronically manipulating Grande's pretty voice was a good idea?

Even the "sure things" weren't Saturday. "Bang Bang" should have been an explosive start. There were fireworks and a DJ and a rock band and a string section and 12 backing dancers. But vocally, Grande played it safe, falling short of the recording's massive money notes. She still hit all her choreography marks Saturday, her voice never actually faltering, although her stage presence was mechanical, her voice emotionally stilted — odd for a former Nickelodeon actress.

But her primary problem was evident in the banter. Grande seemed confused, uncertain about what to say, insecure. And if you're going to be a pop star, confidence needs to be at the top of that to-do list.

rhandino

Banned
Carlysus stole her sound back from taylor and made a song better than anything on 1989. Can we stop pretending to like pop taylor now?

Are they? I'm pretty sure there are people here who worship ha.

NzYuWBY.jpg

Edit: For some reason this cover give me Bioshock Infinite vibes, I can't quite put my finger on why...

Zutroy

Thought the Carly song sounded really generic from the leaked snippet, but I've now had it on repeat for like half an hour. Really does sound like something Taylor would have put on 1989.

“While Rihanna, Kanye West and Paul McCartney’s “FourFiveSeconds” slips two places to #6 on this week’s Billboard Hot 100, it rises on the Radio Songs subchart. After reaching a peak of #13 on last week’s Radio Songs chart, the superstar collaboration this week rises to #10 on the strength of its 70 million all-format impressions. In doing so, it helps Rihanna tie a record held by Mariah Carey.”
Mariah Carey hasn’t been able to score any hits by herself lately, but her song “#Beautiful” featuring Miguel did fairly well on Top 40 radio. Unfortunately, Mariah Carey’s most recent album, Me I Am Mariah: The Elusive Chanteuse, was called a huge flop.
iQjyDKIO5hEoz.gif

Bladenic

can yall please stop it with liking this carly song

its awful. like i could get behind it but the chorus, holy fuck it's horrifying. her voice and the lyrics dont help.

She'll always have This Kiss and Tonight I'm Getting Fucked By You though.

MIAMTEC was iconic tho. Legends are allowed at least one flop album every ten years or so.

1364fadcb2.gif

Are they allowed 2?

How much do we have until the OT closes? I'm still coming up with some community stuff so I'm open to suggestions if anyone has ideas. You can PM me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom