• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw, can anybody point me to that last song. It interesteD me a bit.

Take You High

Get into it.

dQxfBTX.gif

Milchjon

What's up with Ariana Grande's voice ruining perfectly good songs.

I guess she's got range, but the voice itself sounds so annoying.

Milchjon

Don't hold back. She has terrible breath control and diction.

Her range doesn't matter because she can't make proper use of it.

All My Love would be such a fun song, but I feel totally embarrassed listening to it because of her voice. She sounds so utterly Nickelodeon, and unfortunately I'm older than 8.

I'm not a super big Bjork fan but I really wish I could visit the MOMA exhibit, it'd be really cool to see that sort of collection and celebration of such a strong artist's work
igBKGe6ALK9Sy.gif

3phemeral

What I'm curious about, though, is now that she's condemned "Pop Culture" and her perception of what it took to be successful, what direction will she choose to go into post-Jazz Gaga?

I suppose if the music is good enough and people like it, it won't matter if she's a hypocrite. Does RedOne have examples of him not being so RedOne-y? Because I can't imagine the new stuff sounding any different than her old stuff if that's the only sound he can produce.

What I'm curious about, though, is now that she's condemned "Pop Culture" and her perception of what it took to be successful, what direction will she choose to go into post-Jazz Gaga?

I suppose if the music is good enough and people like it, it won't matter if she's a hypocrite. Does RedOne have examples of him not being so RedOne-y? Because I can't imagine the new stuff sounding any different than her old stuff if that's the only sound he can produce.

He was also behind Hair, Scheisse and Gypsy which I think is a pretty eclectic group. His stuff with JLo and Nicki Minaj is pretty one-note but I do think Gaga's brought out his best. They really nail the hooks when they're together, and that's what I was missing from ARTPOP. Good songs, but there was no earworm melodic moment that made Pokerface and Bad Romance so irresistible. Gypsy came the closest by far, which is a good sign.

3phemeral

He was also behind Hair, Scheisse and Gypsy which I think is a pretty eclectic group. His stuff with JLo and Nicki Minaj is pretty one-note but I do think Gaga's brought out his best. They really nail the hooks when they're together, and that's what I was missing from ARTPOP. Good songs, but there was no earworm melodic moment that made Pokerface and Bad Romance so irresistible.

My main point is mostly her publicizing her distaste for the music which made her a household name, only to go back to that same formula. I suppose RedOne might be able to produce something different if given the chance - and her motivation -- to head into a new direction. I'm just a little skeptical that it will actually be much different. I don't care either way provided I enjoy the music.

You didn't find MANiCURE to be perfect ear candy? Shame that was never a single. G.U.Y. had such a promising start but that chorus is abysmal. Aura had the reverse problem and the only other option was DWUW. I don't think it was a radio-friendly problem as it was an image problem, including Gaga's retreat into submission and victimhood after being such a no-fucks-given personality during TFM and BTW.

Partition

Banned
What Gaga needs is less control. Just yesterday we learned that Paparazzi was only written because Gaga's label forced her to write a song with that title and on such subject matter. Makes you wonder how many of Gaga's "iconic" hits from TF/TFM started out as her idea, if any of them.

There is really nothing in RedOne's BTW and post output that convinces me he will do good work for her.

cory64

Gaga already burned through MJ's career arc in 4 albums. PopGa has a narrow definition for her, so we'll never get anything new sounding.

rude

Banned
What Gaga needs is less control. Just yesterday we learned that Paparazzi was only written because Gaga's label forced her to write a song with that title and on such subject matter. Makes you wonder how many of Gaga's "iconic" hits from TF/TFM started out as her idea, if any of them.

There is really nothing in RedOne's BTW and post output that convinces me he will do good work for her.
everything in this comment & she needs to go backto her TFM voice. idl that theatrical shit she did on artpop

3phemeral

Not really, except when he works with other producers. I've just gone through at least 20 different songs produced by him and all of them have the same trademark (Eurodance/synth-y) sound.
I liked that track her did with Nicole Scherzinger. Well, it was pretty good, just the chorus was fire.

What Gaga needs is less control. Just yesterday we learned that Paparazzi was only written because Gaga's label forced her to write a song with that title and on such subject matter. Makes you wonder how many of Gaga's "iconic" hits from TF/TFM started out as her idea.

For sure. I mean, when it starts to add up with Artpop having Zedd leftovers, TFM largely owing it's visual fidelity to industry veterans and talented designers, her rock ballads sounding the same, etc. I have no doubt that Gaga is talented, but like some other artists it takes someone to guide them in the right direction to best utilize those gifts.

Partition

Banned
For sure. I mean, when it starts to add up with Artpop having Zedd leftovers, TFM largely owing it's visual fidelity to industry veterans and talented designers, her rock ballads sounding the same, etc. I have no doubt that Gaga is talented, but like some other artists it takes someone to guide them in the right direction to best utilize those gifts.

Gaga is talented. Her performance at the Oscars reminded me of that, at least.

It also made me realize she's been largely wasting her talent her entire career.
Her ballads are safe, don't show off her voice, and are drowned in production for one. Making pop music, on her own accord, is something she simply isn't good at; if we use BTW and ARTPOP as the two albums she did without label control. BTW was great for reasons that had nothing to do with mainstream pop, and that's why it's my favorite album of hers.

The way I see it, Gaga either needs to let people h e l p her write her pop music, or use her strengths to make music that actually plays up on them - give me that Sound Of Music voice over some strings and become a quasi LDR clone, it would still be better than anything she's done ever.

Vazduh

It was very catchy, yeah, but still definitely a RedOne song.

If we're being generous, these songs sound a teeny bit different than his usual shtick:

Havana Brown - Flashing Lights
Porcelain Black - Rich Boi
Austin Mahone - The One I've Waited For (this one is a carbon copy of BSB's I Want It That Way so it's not exactly an original production, lol)

Let's hope he's working with other people when it comes to Gaga.

Btw, remember when he used to put this signature synth sound in literally every song? At least he's not doing that anymore.

My main point is mostly her publicizing her distaste for the music which made her a household name, only to go back to that same formula. I suppose RedOne might be able to produce something different if given the chance - and her motivation -- to head into a new direction. I'm just a little skeptical that it will actually be much different. I don't care either way provided I enjoy the music.

You didn't find MANiCURE to be perfect ear candy? Shame that was never a single. G.U.Y. had such a promising start but that chorus is abysmal. Aura had the reverse problem and the only other option was DWUW. I don't think it was a radio-friendly problem as it was an image problem, including Gaga's retreat into submission and victimhood after being such a no-fucks-given personality during TFM and BTW.

To be fair she was trash talking the pop industry not the music itself. On Stern she defends the music saying that's the sound she makes, but she was definitely soured on the "machine" aspect of being a pop star and how there are too many hands on your stuff. That said, I'm not sure what's changed now assuming she's going back to the same kind of grind. If she was pulling that whole "I hate the pop industry" thing as a facade to sell ARTPOP, then she's messy. If she's changed her mind or if her new team gives her more motive to continue then that's another story. It just sounds to me like she was burnt really hard with the Troy split and that was all just her venting, and now her mind is more clear. I just don't really know where she stands other than knowing that she's ready to show the world new things. She's kind of a wildcard right now, and I think that whatever she comes out with next is going to be refreshing and new. ARTPOP felt like leftovers to phase one, and now we're transitioning to the next phase.

MANiCURE is on the brink of greatness to me but something about it feels too rushed. Maybe if it had an instrumental break or hook between the choruses it would have felt more complete, I dunno. And GUY builds up all this flawlessness in the intro (and has a flawless outro too) but the verses are so nonsensical and the chorus is just blah. Amazing production skills but they were wasted on this one.

Do What U Want is great. If Gaga could re-do Gypsy but with her new classic Barbra vocals then I would fucking die.

cory64

Flop Rihanna songs with disproportionate viewcounts:

We Ride (failed to chart in US)
54 million views (post-Vevo)

Rehab #18
109 million views (post-Vevo)

Te Amo (not released in US)
92 million views

Man Down #59
311 million views

California King Bed #37
187 million views

You Da One #14
139 million views

Talk That Talk #31
43 million views (censored audio)

Pour It Up #19
153 million views

What Now #25
143 million views

Truly the global visual queen.

3phemeral

Gaga is talented. Her performance at the Oscars reminded me of that, at least.

It also made me realize she's been largely wasting her talent her entire career.
Her ballads are safe, don't show off her voice, and are drowned in production for one. Making pop music, on her own accord, is something she simply isn't good at; if we use BTW and ARTPOP as the two albums she did without label control. BTW was great for reasons that had nothing to do with mainstream pop, and that's why it's my favorite album of hers.

The way I see it, Gaga either needs to let people h e l p her write her pop music, or use her strengths to make music that actually plays up on them - give me that Sound Of Music voice over some strings and become a quasi LDR clone, it would still be better than anything she's done ever.

I never doubted she was vocally talented given how she hits F5s on Marry the Night while dancing live, did that BTW acapella for HBO, in addition to some other impressive belts that just lacked the proper arrangement to be emotionally resonant. She can write, too, but I think "Gaga, the Pop Star" fundamentally changed when she found success. Somehow, her methodology for producing her music transformed into something less critical of herself and more "what comes out of me must be pure and real," thus abandoning the self-editing process in favor for "authentic artistry" (in my eyes, at least).

Whether or not it's true, a lot of Artpop came off to me as lyrically and visually rough-draft, while on songs like Sexxx Dreams she admits she spent a lot of time on, it shows compared to Aura's verses or GUY's choruses (and we know SD had a better bridge in the iTunes version as opposed to the album cut). So, in a way, Gaga has evolved into this vassal of creativity where her ideas must remain pure from inception, but lack a deliberate second and third pass that would have cleaned up obviously inelegant executions.

It was very catchy, yeah, but still definitely a RedOne song.

If we're being generous, these songs sound a teeny bit different than his usual shtick:

Havana Brown - Flashing Lights
Porcelain Black - Rich Boi
Austin Mahone - The One I've Waited For (this one is a carbon copy of BSB's I Want It That Way so it's not exactly an original production, lol)

Let's hope he's working with other people when it comes to Gaga.

Btw, remember when he used to put this signature synth sound in literally every song? At least he's not doing that anymore.

Ugh, all of those were horrible. Especially the Backstreet Boys ripoff, even if authentic sounding.

To be fair she was trash talking the pop industry not the music itself. On Stern she defends the music saying that's the sound she makes, but she was definitely soured on the "machine" aspect of being a pop star and how there are too many hands on your stuff. That said, I'm not sure what's changed now assuming she's going back to the same kind of grind. If she was pulling that whole "I hate the pop industry" thing as a facade to sell ARTPOP, then she's messy. If she's changed her mind or if her new team gives her more motive to continue then that's another story. It just sounds to me like she was burnt really hard with the Troy split and that was all just her venting, and now her mind is more clear. I just don't really know where she stands other than knowing that she's ready to show the world new things. She's kind of a wildcard right now, and I think that whatever she comes out with next is going to be refreshing and new. ARTPOP felt like leftovers to phase one, and now we're transitioning to the next phase.

The way I interpreted her comments were both industry-specific and musically. I would have given her the benefit of the doubt had it not been for her praising the authenticity that Jazz provides in harnessing her talent and really emphasizing that there was some difference to what she was doing with Tony versus what she used to do. It's as if she fell victim to what is so common in these pop-related threads where non-PopGaffers jump at the chance to call these women untalented because of their associations with the Pop brand alone. Plus, didn't she also mention something along the lines of disliking the electronic trend?

MANiCURE is on the brink of greatness to me but something about it feels too rushed. Maybe if it had an instrumental break or hook between the choruses it would have felt more complete, I dunno. And GUY builds up all this flawlessness in the intro (and has a flawless outro too) but the verses are so nonsensical and the chorus is just blah. Amazing production skills but they were wasted on this one.
That's what I'm saying. There's this lack of polish on tracks that have this huge potential to smash, only they've been squandered somehow. Mostly lyrically. Practically every track suffers from this and it leaves you unsatisfied. Fashion, Donatella, MJH, Aura are the worst offenders, I think.

Sorry for venting, y'all. I just hate wasted potential.

3phemeral said:
Whether or not it's true, a lot of Artpop came off to me as lyrically and visually rough-draft, while on songs like Sexxx Dreams she admits she spent a lot of time on, it shows compared to Aura's verses or GUY's choruses (and we know SD had a better bridge in the iTunes version as opposed to the album cut). So, in a way, Gaga has evolved into this vassal of creativity where her ideas must remain pure from inception, but lack a deliberate second and third pass that would have cleaned up obviously inelegant executions.

This is exactly the one thing I don't like about Gaga's music and it's the one thing preventing her portfolio from hititng its full potential. The hooks and melodies are all there, but she needs to clean and edit a lot. A lot of her later songs really felt like a mishmash of great ideas that were sort of sporadically spit out. Makes me think about Venus and how it's practically four entirely different sounds in one. Stylistically really interesting, but the execution will polarize most because it completely lacks flow.

She's all about the big ideas and big picture but she needs to learn refinement and fine-tuning. Hoping she'll get there.

The way I interpreted her comments were both industry-specific and musically. I would have given her the benefit of the doubt had it not been for her praising the authenticity that Jazz provides in harnessing her talent and really emphasizing that there was some difference to what she was doing with Tony versus what she used to do. It's as if she fell victim to what is so common in these pop-related threads where non-PopGaffers jump at the chance to call these women untalented because of their associations with the Pop brand alone. Plus, didn't she also mention something along the lines of disliking the electronic trend?

I think the things she's said ring pretty true and don't really position her as someone who looks down on pop music. She's said that she respects jazz because it's letting her talent and voice shine through, which it is. Pop music IS very chopped and screwed and it's precisely why it took 7 years for so many people to even realize she can sing.

And she did say that the electronic trend is waning because people are gravitating more toward that acoustic, unplugged sound, and she cites Adele too. So yeah, not really dissing any of the music in particular, so much as saying that certain genres are evolving and that she's embracing jazz for the qualities that pop can't showcase coz that's just how pop is.

Practically every track suffers from this and it leaves you unsatisfied. Fashion, Donatella, MJH, Aura are the worst offenders, I think.

The worst part of it (to me) is that every track has moments that are exactly on the level of her very best, but they're just not embraced. Aura's chorus/production, Venus' first verse, GUY's intro, MJH's verses, Gypsy's chorus, etc. But they feel like they're being weighed down by the rest of the song which is just okay. Again, it's a matter of knowing how to edit; something that I hope her producers can key into this time (Red One's good at it).

3phemeral

I think the things she's said ring pretty true and don't really position her as someone who looks down on pop music. She's said that she respects jazz because it's letting her talent and voice shine through, which it is. Pop music IS very chopped and screwed and it's precisely why it took 7 years for so many people to even realize she can sing.
Ya, I may have misinterpreted this. There is a very clear dichotomy between perception of talent and talent that you have to find through cacophony of other production overlays and visual spectacles. I suppose she really did mean "My talent can shine in a way that is obvious and central to the music."

And she did say that the electronic trend is waning because people are gravitating more toward that acoustic, unplugged sound, and she cites Adele too. So yeah, not really dissing any of the music in particular, so much as saying that certain genres are evolving and that she's embracing jazz for the qualities that pop can't showcase coz that's just how pop is.
I really hope she doesn't go back to that sound before she hit it big. I'll never get the love for those college-era piano tunes that suffered from poor vocal arrangements and cliched lyrical themes.

Electric Kee yeah yeaaah yeeeeeees issss

::sympathy applause::

The worst part of it (to me) is that every track has moments that are exactly on the level of her very best, but they're just not embraced. Aura's chorus/production, Venus' first verse, GUY's intro, MJH's verses, Gypsy's chorus, etc. But they feel like they're being weighed down by the rest of the song which is just okay. Again, it's a matter of knowing how to edit; something that I hope her producers can key into this time (Red One's good at it).
Preach. Get someone in there that will polish that coal into diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom