• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Totally filler, but I'll take this over some of the other trash that was released in 2013 and so far in 2014.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I mean really they're both shit, but at least Shake It Off has "catchiness" that comes from being the intended lead single.

This...this song has quite possibly the worst chorus I've ever heard. And I own Khia albums...

Girl we should realize this song is for the kids camping while making marshellows and Hershey's™ chocolate sandwiches.

Typical Taylor. Safe, boring, homey.

I wish someone would just run her off her own audience so we can get something competent from her. The girl next door Schick is getting old now.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Typical Taylor. Safe, boring, homey.

I wish someone would just run her off her own audience so we can get something competent from her. The girl next door Schick is getting old now.

Remember when someone was saying that this would be her Bangerz or Stripped era? Pffft

Bladenic

Love it. I can already tell it's no Shake It Off in terms of catchiness or longevity, but it is satisfying my hunger for more new music until the full album releases.

I kinda dig the T-Swift song, though it can be awkward having the big repetitive hook in your song be a super abstract sentence. Of course said hook can become iconic if it clicks with the public (like "We found love in a hopeless place" did) and this IS a Taylor song afterall so I think she'll be fine.

TOURNEY UPDATE: Turnout has been sort of average so far with this match, so keep the votes coming my way if you'd like to help choose a winner! Remember that the person who wins this match gets to move on the final four/semifinals, so choose wisely!

io3IaVSEuDXId.png

Remember when someone was saying that this would be her Bangerz or Stripped era? Pffft

Nope, Taylor is not ready to go down that road. It sucks because I want to see her mature but I feel like she's going to tippy toe around it because she wants to stay "true" to the image she created. She'll be 27 by the time she does a Miley tbh.

-------

Cici Peniston has such an amazing voice. Why is she never mentioned in vocal conversation? This women can freaking blow and live too, like wtf? She was also so versatile as well, bring church vibes to dance pop and R&B.

Every time I think Mariah's hit rock-bottom vocally, she always surprises me with a new low.

Her E=MC2 delivery room grunt-singing, I told myself, was as bad as it could get. Then came MCIIY, with its disturbingly manipula-tuned belts and comically disconnected dial-a-whistles. And now, for the first time, Mariah literally cracks on stage.

It was very wise of Mariah to tour in the one continent that won't boo her off the stage.

Queen Sohyang should be the one with the Asian tour. Let ha out of your grubby hands, Korea.

GUG6SEi.gif

Slaying lives since 1996 tbh.

Peru

This sounds great, like Taylor's earlier stadium rock tunes which I always loved - only thing added is Antonoff's Churches production.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Out of the Woods is definitely better than Shake It Off
Reminds me of Savage Garden I think, or at least someone similar that was around at that time that my mum used to stan. Very similar chorus
Still not anything that special, one day I'm sure she will have a career defining song but given her career trajectory I'd imagine she has at least ten years to make one

edit; Maybe Crash and Burn? Not overly that similar now that I listen. Crash and Burn is still fucking stellar to this day though

Mau ®

OUT OF THE WOODS is fantastic. There's definitely a Savage Garden influence, also M83 <3

It's also shitting on your faves careers, as expected.

I decided to wait until listening to Tough Love before sending my vote in. I know who I'm voting for now. :p.

Thanks for voting :p You just made this match even more of a toss up. lol

Fuuuuck the chorus for Out of the Woods is borderline hypnotic. It's got some great production. It does remind me of Savage Garden a little bit with the hook's structure and the bridge, lol. I'm good with this tbh.

I see you Taylor. I'll stay cautiously (privately) perched for the rest of 1989.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeah, I love the album, too. Silver, Our Love and Can't Do Without You are my faves. I bet he was great live :)

he was. it was mostly Our Love but he found time to play Sun, Odessa, Found Out, Jamelia and Bowls, all of my favourite tracks from Swim

Mars and Can't Do Without You are my faves from Our Love

Whoever lives above me is playing Glow really loudly. They did this yesterday too. :| I want to shove my 3rd copy of ARTPOP through their letterbox

Nemesis_

wow what kind of basic M83 reduction

This is basically what I came to post. That and it's obvious that Taylor might understand her relationships aren't built to last and that I'm glad she's embracing that with this song.

But how do the Taylor stans feel now that they can't come for Rihanna's stellar songwriting skills like We Found Love

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
!!!!

WHAT KIND OF FIGHTER ARE YOU!?

XTINA May have some vocal deterioration, but if you watched her last season of The Voice you know she can still hit notes. Her AMA performance and set at the New Orleans Jazz Festival proved that she can still slay a vocal performance.

Mariah's voice, on the other hand, is as blown out as a freshman bottom's anus after Atlanta Pride. Just nothing left.

...no shade

WAIT not me only just seeing this GEM

ir6CAERKMHrmI.gif

This is basically what I came to post. That and it's obvious that Taylor might understand her relationships aren't built to last and that I'm glad she's embracing that with this song.

But how do the Taylor stans feel now that they can't come for Rihanna's stellar songwriting skills like We Found Love

i was thinking that as i was listening. i'm sure we'll see some people try and defend the lyrical credentials of this latest effort nonetheless

More like leaving them a Bible
Minus Jewels n Drugs, the worst song in Gaga's discography

I go through phases where I'm like "MANiCURE is the worst song Gaga's ever made" and then the next day I'm getting my 99th life from that chorus. I feel like that pretty much sums up my feelings towards ARTPOP. I wanna say it's her worst album but it's just too much fun. I guess we can all stand to be a little less judgY.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
because, as i've pointed out many times, something being good or bad and you liking or disliking it are two different things

because, as i've pointed out many times, something being good or bad and you liking or disliking it are two different things

And as I've pointed out just as many times, calling any music objectively good or objectively bad is a farce, and to say it isn't only makes you a human cocktail of delusion and bitters

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
And as I've pointed out just as many times, calling any music objectively good or objectively bad is a farce, and to say it isn't only makes you a human cocktail of delusion and bitters

it also puts me on the side of the majority of notable thinkers on the matter for the last ~2000 years, so, i could be in worse company

yodelling that your response to your fave putting out a shit album is to deny that music can even be of better of worse quality though.

it also puts me on the side of the majority of notable thinkers on the matter for the last ~2000 years, so, i could be in worse company

What kind of stretch mark of a claim is this sis

yodelling that your response to your fave putting out a shit album is to deny that music can even be of better of worse quality though.

My opinion was pretty aligned well before CHARTDROP came out, the fact that anyone can find joy in both Beethoven and Britney Spears shows that the entire basis of music critique is linked to your own subjective preferences, hell even just your MOOD that day. If you don't like the sound of heavy bass you're less inclined to call "Yonce" a great song than if you live for dat bass drop. That carries over into any opinion you have about a song's melody, lyrics, vocals, production or arrangement.

But I guess it doesn't matter coz we all say things suck and slay in here, I've already assumed we're aware of the subjectiveness of it all though. lol

Thanks for voting :p You just made this match even more of a toss up. lol

Fuuuuck the chorus for Out of the Woods is borderline hypnotic. It's got some great production. It does remind me of Savage Garden a little bit with the hook's structure and the bridge, lol. I'm good with this tbh.

I see you Taylor. I'll stay cautiously (privately) perched for the rest of 1989.

I'm glad!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My opinion was pretty aligned well before CHARTDROP came out, the fact that anyone can find joy in both Beethoven and Britney Spears shows that the entire basis of music critique is linked to your own subjective preferences, hell even just your MOOD that day. If you don't like the sound of heavy bass you're less inclined to call "Yonce" a great song than if you live for dat bass drop. That carries over into any opinion you have about a song's melody, lyrics, vocals, production or arrangement.

But I guess it doesn't matter coz we all say things suck and slay in here, I've already assumed we're aware of the subjectiveness of it all though. lol

Except that at no point did I claim that what I like is what is good and bad.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea that some of the music I like is bad, and some of the music I don't like is good (even some of the best music ever made (e.g. avante garde Jazz)).

Simply collapsing the distinction between quality and preference in response to the fact that some people like Beethoven and some people like Britney is overly reductive and analytically clumsy.

[edit] Oh you edited your post and now I seem crazy.

Except that at no point did I claim that what I like is what is good and bad.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea that some of the music I like is bad, and some of the music I don't like is good (even some of the best music ever made (e.g. avante garde Jazz)).

Simply collapsing the distinction between quality and preference in response to the fact that some people like Beethoven and some people like Britney is overly reductive and analytically clumsy.

Nah, the reductiveness is in assuming that something is good or bad based on some invisible outside criterion created by people who used their own SUBJECTIVE opinion to determine what they like. You're buying into other people's subjective claims and applying them to some kind of objective reality. You can claim that avante garde jazz is good because it's complex and musically layered, but complexity doesn't necessarily mean "good" does it? It means it's complex, and complex is nice sometimes. Or you can like it because it's understated and elegant, which is "good" to you because you like when things make big impressions in small ways.

Every single person, publication and reviewer that makes a claim about something's quality is using their own subjective evaluation. You should be proud to use yours sis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom