• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
Out of the Woods is an infinitely more enjoyable song to listen to than Shake It Off. Gives me some alt rock teas even. The country music kingmakers are seething pretty hard right now I'm guessing.

I go through phases where I'm like "MANiCURE is the worst song Gaga's ever made" and then the next day I'm getting my 99th life from that chorus. I feel like that pretty much sums up my feelings towards ARTPOP. I wanna say it's her worst album but it's just too much fun. I guess we can all stand to be a little less judgY.
I think it's better than TF tbh
Outside of a few bops... it's an ok album
ARTPOP isn't going to win any awards for cohesiveness but as a collection of individual songs that have little to do with each other, I love it.

Mau ®;134305145 said:
Ke?ha is suing Dr. Luke for Sexual Assault and Battery

Destroy him!!!!
YASSS

Even if she loses (or he settles), I'm so glad that one of the gerls is willing to expose the seedy underbelly of sexual assault and mental abuse that defines the male-dominated power structure of this industry (and the entire entertainment industry, really).

FINISH HA

Ff2CldB.jpg

someone needs a new hairdresser

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nah, the reductiveness is in assuming that something is good or bad based on some invisible outside criterion created by people who used their own SUBJECTIVE opinion to determine what they like. You're buying into other people's subjective claims and applying them to some kind of objective reality. You can claim that avante garde jazz is good because it's complex and musically layered, but complexity doesn't necessarily mean "good" does it? It means it's complex, and complex is nice sometimes. Or you can like it because it's understated and elegant, which is "good" to you because you like when things make big impressions in small ways.

Every single person, publication and reviewer that makes a claim about something's quality is using their own subjective evaluation. You should be proud to use yours sis.

I don't know what makes avant garde jazz good because I don't listen to it, because I don't particularly enjoy it. But I'm sure that people who do listen to avant garde jazz know the difference between good and bad avant garde jazz when they hear it, just as many people can hear the difference between good pop and bad pop when they hear it.

I mean I'm all for local standards. Comparing Britney to Beethoven and saying that Britney sucks because her music doesn't approach the complexity of Beethoven's is as silly as saying that Beethoven sucks because it kills the mood when you're on a night out and they play Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Britney can be good and Beethoven can be good in entirely different ways and for entirely different reasons.

But if you're at a point where you don't think that it's sensible to say that Ray of Light is a better album than Hard Candy—and not that, despite the difference in quality, you still prefer Hard Candy—then I don't know what to say to you, because I take it as just stating a kind of trivially obvious fact to anybody who listens to both albums that Ray of Light is better.

[edit] And when I say that X is better than Y I don't mean that it's a fact in the same way that, say, the atomic number of Carbon is 6. That would just be a stupid view.

Ff2CldB.jpg

someone needs a new hairdresser
gerL is looking more and more like her mother every day. Dat face is starting to show its age.

In any case, that hairstyle never has been and never will be flattering on anyone who sports it. Especially when it's such a cheap clip-in job.

gallery_big_beyonce-blonde-bob-hairstyle.jpg

The sleek bob remains her best look tbh

Vazduh

he was. it was mostly Our Love but he found time to play Sun, Odessa, Found Out, Jamelia and Bowls, all of my favourite tracks from Swim

Mars and Can't Do Without You are my faves from Our Love

Wow, that's really awesome :) I'm glad to hear you had a great time.
He was in Croatia about a month ago, but the festival tickets were more than 100 Euros, and coupled with the bus ticket to Pula which would cost me another 60 Euros (and the food/hostel etc)... it was just too expensive for me. Oh, well, next time, I guess. Hopefully he comes back to play here, I'd love to see him live.

My exact same faves.

Yeeesssss!

BtDIsS4.gif

Oh, Ariel, you dumb bitch. He should have just kept his mouth shut, because now Mad Donna won't be needing his services anymore ;_;

Mau ®;134305145 said:
Ke$ha is suing Dr. Luke for Sexual Assault and Battery

Destroy him!!!!

JYqsoZi.gif

I'm genuinely shocked because these accusations are serious. And I thought that the "refrigerator" comment was too much...

I don't know what makes avant garde jazz good because I don't listen to it, because I don't particularly enjoy it. But I'm sure that people who do listen to avant garde jazz know the difference between good and bad avant garde jazz when they hear it, just as many people can hear the difference between good pop and bad pop when they hear it.

Again, I don't even buy that sis. I do think pop enthusiasts have a lot of opinions about pop songs and thus have a good handle on what appeals to them and what doesn't based on their tastes. So I think anyone that stretches it all the way to "well I know that something is unequivocally better than something else because I've listened to a lot of this kind of stuff" is still hiding behind their own subjectivity. Their personal tastes have just become so ubiquitious that they can't decipher it from objectivity. I've listened to a lot of Beyonce songs, but I can't sit here and tell you which song of hers is the best. I can tell you my favorites and which songs best accent my different moods, but there are way too many specific categories to compare them across.

I mean I'm all for local standards. Comparing Britney to Beethoven and saying that Britney sucks because her music doesn't approach the complexity of Beethoven's is as silly as saying that Beethoven sucks because it kills the mood when you're on a night out and they play Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Britney can be good and Beethoven can be good in entirely different ways and for entirely different reasons.

But if you're at a point where you don't think that it's sensible to say that Ray of Light is a better album than Hard Candy—and not that, despite the difference in quality, you still prefer Hard Candy—then I don't know what to say to you, because I take it as just stating a kind of trivially obvious fact to anybody who listens to both albums that Ray of Light is better.

I can see many people preferring Hard Candy to Ray of Light if they're more accustomed to pop tropes and if they prefer something more accessible or dancey. Ray of Light nails it to me but I can't say I would pick that album every time over even something like MDNA if I'm in the mood for something radio-friendly or clubby. Is Girl Gone Wild better than Frozen? Well I don't think it's as ambitious, and I don't think its production is as unique, but I do feel more satisfied dancing to it than I do with Frozen, and GGW can make a room lighten up in a way that Frozen cannot. So it's probably not better, but it's not worse. They're just differently constructed pieces that serve different purposes. Like saying a champagne glass is better for drinking out of than a mug. They're both used for specific tasks, and even if you were to compare them directly, it really all comes down to personal criteria like hand size, socio-economic class, beverage preference, arm strength, etc. In other words, why bother?

[edit] And when I say that X is better than Y I don't mean that it's a fact in the same way that, say, the atomic number of Carbon is 6. That would just be a stupid view.

Oh okay cool. Glad we agree then. :p

Vazduh

Dr. Luke sues Ke$ha back.

Kesha is a liar who is making up stories just so she can get out of her legally binding contract with Dr. Luke ... and she tried extorting him to boot ... this according to a new lawsuit.

Luke filed suit hours after Kesha filed her own lawsuit ... accusing him of sexual and physical assault over a period of years.

But in Luke's lawsuit ... he says the pack of lies is being engineered by Kesha's mother, Pebe and Kesha's new management firm. Luke claims Kesha tried to extort him by threatening to spread lies about him to a blogger who started a "Free Kesha" website unless he released her from her recording contract.

And Luke says in his lawsuit he's had a copy of a draft of Kesha's new abuse lawsuit for months, and she was threatening to file it if he didn't release her. In other words, he's alleging more extortion.

Luke's lawyer, Christine Lepera, tells TMZ, Kesha's lawsuit about abuse is part of "a campaign of publishing outrageous and untrue statements," calling the allegations scurrilous.

Lepera says Kesha and her mom have already admitted the statements are false.

What a mess.

Mau ®

More surfaces on the Ke$ha vs. Dr. Evil story

The most incendiary allegations revolve around sexual abuse — specifically, how Dr. Luke allegedly forced her to snort illegal drugs and gave her "sober pills," which Kesha says were really a form of gamma-hydroxybutyrate, more commonly known as the date rape drug.

Although the sexual abuse allegations will deservedly get most of the attention, she also speaks about how Dr. Luke allegedly commandeered her career, not only threatening to ruin her and her family if she went public with the abuse, but also forcing her to live with one-sided, long-term contracts that have had the alleged effect of denying her "any meaningful profit from her work due to Dr. Luke's exploitation of her over the last decade."

Bz7hvRxIAAAB6Lk.png

He is trash!!!!

Source

Taylor's "Out of the Woods" is such a slay. It's so epic.

And, hell yes Ke$ha, you go girl! Break free and release them chains from the evil Dr. Luke. I'm sure Kellegend is in her Nashville house praising Jesus right about now.

Damn it Out of the Woods is gettin' me.

I don't know whether the repetitive chorus is enlightening ala We Found Love or just kinda numbing in its basicness but I keep listening to it. Halp. :(

Also, three more hours to vote on Britney or Jessie Ware, so make sure to PM me a little somethin' somethin'.

EDIT: only three votes separate them now! Nnnnnn

EDIT2: ONE VOTE SEPARATION

Sending love to the UK.

To all my wonderful UK fans,
I realize that you are not yet able to get ‘Out Of The Woods’ due to a new strategy my record label is working on in the UK. I’ve never been one to hold my music back from any of you so I will be watching closely to see if this is ultimately a better experience for you, the fans.
My good friend Ed Sheeran utilized the same strategy with ‘One’ in the UK and he seemed very happy with the feedback from his fans.
But, ultimately, it’s down to you. Let me know.
Peace out.
Taylor/Natalie/Becky

umm

what does this even mean

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
it means the song will get some radio play for a few weeks then go up for sale so it will garner bigger first week sales and a higher chart debut
just about everyone does it, surprised it's not caught on in the US where radio actually counts so they could slowly climb the charts then have a big jump from preorders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom