• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

Roy, do you still think this is the best voice in pop today? Giving me memories of Rihanna trying "Hero"
lol.gif

Gotta clean that guttural lashing out of my system, be right back.

i6UhJimQNRQdB.gif

royalan

The first performance Xtina did for Lotus was last night on release day. That means that we can technically say that Lotus got NO prerelease promo.

That is unprecedented for an artist of her caliber.

EDIT:

Leona, Yes. I still believe Xtina has the capability to vocally bulldoze your fave. I just wish she respected her instrument more. I will not defend that note. ;___;

Aguila

#ICONIC
But when the fuck is Lana going to smash in the US.

tumblr_mclsjepJCe1r5kb15.gif

iirc, Jump is the song that I wanted to hear the most from Unapologetic.

Koodo

Banned
I must admit I re-listened to the Unapologetic snippets and they weren't as vulgar as I first thought.

I'm still expecting the full experience to be a warm plate of shit, but I am ready to give ha a chance.

ivJ9gJk7cQEgq.gif

Majmun

All I know is that Unapologetic will sell better than Pinkfriday Re-Flop

My prediction

Unapologetic 210k
Re-Up 80k

royalan

Christina really pissed me off after last night. She's not only proven to me how LAZY she's become as a musician but just how LITTLE she respects her own legacy. I knew that her live performances as of late have been showcases in self-parody but last night's performance really amplified that point.

Forcing your glottal voice out on a mid-octave verse is fucking heinous, first off. Secondly, GRUNTING over your song (the catchiest part of the song, I may add) while it's playing as if people have HEARD it already doesn't do much in trying to SELL the song itself. The entire bridge was sung by her like this:

"HEEEEYY-YAAAA, Errbody! Love somebody!!! Anybody!!! HEEEEEYY-YAAAA" *screech*

Anybody that hasn't heard that song before would have probably thought she was adlibbing over an instrumental. I don't know WHY she insists on INTRODUCING songs to the world by treating them like remixes, and to add to it, she walks around raising her arm in the air like a drunk sorority girl at karaoke - never a choreographed moment or any kind of motive on her part to put on a concise, organized show. It's just some walking, a growl, raised arm again, a "HAH" and "SAY" thrown in for good measure, and then spouting off lyrics as spoken words ("Heyy! Ever love somebody??").

It reminds me of Whitney in the last half-decade of her career (and life) where she felt self-actualized just by SHOWING UP on stage. She knew that she had to just shimmy around a bit and cash out and she'll be good. That's the vibe I get from Christina right now and it's an extra sour feeling because she's in NO place to be cashing out. Part 2 of her career hasn't even started yet because she's delayed it all this time and right when she makes a legitimately GREAT pop album she treats it like some niche side project. Shameful.

It makes everything all the MORE frustrating when she's been given the greatest marketing outlet in American television to ride the hype circuit, but she's not willing to do much more than what she's already done. I don't know if it's a case of inflated ego, pure apathy, delusion, or plain stupidity. Regardless of what it is, it's just baffling that she's been given such a powerful platform to drive sales but insists on taking the (really) easy way out and planting her ass on the swivel chair almost all of the time. Was she not around when her DUET with Adam Levine got him a number 1 hit? That was absolutely due to its promotion on the show, and to think that she could have had that through the several VERY marketable songs on Lotus, it's the epitome of a wasted opportunity.

Lotus is my favorite Christina Aguilera album and the paltry number of fucks she seems to give about it or her place in pop is a real disgrace.

You's on notice, bitch.

Not a lie to be found, Sis. ;__;

Is People Like Us is not a mega hit there is no justice in the world. Probably my favorite single from Kelly since the Breakaway era.

iBhk6JY0J80fg.gif

Om7PR.png

Only the true queen of country-pop.

i6UhJimQNRQdB.gif
As if......

Kelly IS the ONLY queen of pop -> country crossover.

(Taylor is the queen of the reverse)

Just based on the snippets, Unapologetic will easily be Rihanna's most consistently decent album. Nothing that strikes me as a world-killing smash, but nothing horrendously vile either.

Better than Lotus, in other words.

Numb, Jump, NOBODY'S BUSINESS (omg, if you told me a month ago I'd use a Bruises collab), Get It Over With - stellar productions all.

"What Now" sounds OK too, but reminds me a bit too much of "No Air" tbh. But anyway, the album shows you don't need an eternity of delays to cook up a handful of gems.

3phemeral

Christina really pissed me off after last night. She's not only proven to me how LAZY she's become as a musician but just how LITTLE she respects her own legacy. I knew that her live performances as of late have been showcases in self-parody but last night's performance really amplified that point.

Forcing your glottal voice out on a mid-octave verse is fucking heinous, first off. Secondly, GRUNTING over your song (the catchiest part of the song, I may add) while it's playing as if people have HEARD it already doesn't do much in trying to SELL the song itself. The entire bridge was sung by her like this:

Anybody that hasn't heard that song before would have probably thought she was adlibbing over an instrumental. I don't know WHY she insists on INTRODUCING songs to the world by treating them like remixes, and to add to it, she walks around raising her arm in the air like a drunk sorority girl at karaoke - never a choreographed moment or any kind of motive on her part to put on a concise, organized show. It's just some walking, a growl, raised arm again, a "HAH" and "SAY" thrown in for good measure, and then spouting off lyrics as spoken words ("Heyy! Ever love somebody??").

It reminds me of Whitney in the last half-decade of her career (and life) where she felt self-actualized just by SHOWING UP on stage. She knew that she had to just shimmy around a bit and cash out and she'll be good. That's the vibe I get from Christina right now and it's an extra sour feeling because she's in NO place to be cashing out. Part 2 of her career hasn't even started yet because she's delayed it all this time and right when she makes a legitimately GREAT pop album she treats it like some niche side project. Shameful.

It makes everything all the MORE frustrating when she's been given the greatest marketing outlet in American television to ride the hype circuit, but she's not willing to do much more than what she's already done. I don't know if it's a case of inflated ego, pure apathy, delusion, or plain stupidity. Regardless of what it is, it's just baffling that she's been given such a powerful platform to drive sales but insists on taking the (really) easy way out and planting her ass on the swivel chair almost all of the time. Was she not around when her DUET with Adam Levine got him a number 1 hit? That was absolutely due to its promotion on the show, and to think that she could have had that through the several VERY marketable songs on Lotus, it's the epitome of a wasted opportunity.

Lotus is my favorite Christina Aguilera album and the paltry number of fucks she seems to give about it or her place in pop is a real disgrace.

You's on notice, bitch.
Pretty sure she adlibs when she forgets the lyrics. You can hear her flubbing the words compared to the backing, so she'll sing over it to cover it up.

It's interesting how she's so comfortable with her pop-star roots, wants to inspire a new generation, but doesn't want to put the work into it so that people are exposed to it.

Don't understand it, tbh.

ibiQKAdiwQNXSU.gif

moulels

I wonder if Christina could have afforded to do more promo if she didn't spent all her coins at ILM "retouching" that video?

OMGGGGGGGG

iiZhYPJQWMfau.gif

----

Poor Xtina, Army of Me is my JAM, she deserves better. Though the second half of Lostus is a boring mess imo.

The titles sequence to SKYFALL has been officially released online.

Your faves would never be attached to such a masterful art piece and film.

Truly a visual fest sis, I loved how it basically outlined the movie without us knowing.

tumblr_md85bsrqIR1rae9heo1_500.gif

Kyon

Banned
WaiT you gotta be FUCKING kidding me now I c what Music has done to the casuals.

I played the Voice performance and when she did that note at the end I laughed right?

Then they're like why are you laughing?

I'm like are you serious? She couldn't hit that.

And I rewinded it to make them listen

"What are you talking about she did great"

I'm never talking to casual music listeners again

Trigger

WaiT you gotta be FUCKING kidding me now I c what Music has done to the casuals.

I played the Voice performance and when she did that note at the end I laughed right?

IFTtS.gif

Majmun

I don't live with my parents lol

I live with my Aunt, Uncle, their 3 kids and my sister(she and I moved here in January)

My aunt is a self proclaimed Xtina fan lmao

Oops, sorry. <3

I wonder what she, as a "casual", will think of Lotus' flopping.

Keep us updated. I love your family anecdotes.
ibiQKAdiwQNXSU.gif

royalan

"Best Of Me" is officially my favorite track from Lotus. #PhuckYoInfluence Rob..

I'm just so fucking slayed when the drums kick in on the second verse. Just a perfect meeting of lyric, vocal, production and intent.

I wish she would take the message of this song and apply it to how she's treating Lotus. ;____;

Kyon

Banned
Oops, sorry. <3

I wonder what she, as a "casual", will think of Lotus' flopping.

Keep us updated. I love your family anecdotes.
ibiQKAdiwQNXSU.gif

She didnt know about Lotus till I said it will flop today -______-

Oh and when I said she should've done the song with Blake my aunt said "Ew why are we watching this then I wanna see the song with Blake"

CH.... Just a Fool needs to be a single

Mumei

You's on notice, bitch.

Were you the one who made this?

Beautiful

Gods, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom