• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say I am slightly disappointed with 1D's second week numbers.

I should have seen it coming after they skipped the AMA's and did no promo's or sales at all the whole week on top of not having a single on the radio.

Still. 700k two week total is nothing to sneeze at.

DMeisterJ

Banned
NEW PAGE, NEW NEWS

ALL SHE SEES IS SIGNS

ALL SHE SEES IS DOLLAR SIGNS

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

Bladenic

I will say I am slightly disappointed with 1D's second week numbers.

I should have seen it coming after they skipped the AMA's and did no promo's or sales at all the whole week on top of not having a single on the radio.

Still. 700k two week total is nothing to sneeze at.

Lol RIHlax sis, they'll probably hold decently and then see big increase around Christmas, and will end the year with one of the highest selling albums of the year.

I'm curious to see Rih's holds.

Trigger

I was going to check out The World from the Side of the Moon anyway. Seeing these number just gives me more reason too.

I'm not trying to make it catch on, it's my thing. I do it because I think it's funny, it's true, and the Xtinca stans seethe. I'll be over it soon, right around the time the coffin is buried.

ycG2c.gif

Shine on you crazy blade, shine on.

DMeisterJ

Banned
And Rih will have a #1 single and #1 album on the same week #DIAMONDS #UNAPOLOGETIC

Where them girls talkin' trash
Where them girls talkin' trash
Where they at, where they at, where they at?

Lol RIHlax sis, they'll probably hold decently and then see big increase around Christmas, and will end the year with one of the highest selling albums of the year.

Lol of course....I am always tense with 1D though.

As to Rih she has never sold well with her albums. There were sales all over on launch week for her album so the bargain hunters already purchased it. Not sure Diamonds at #1 is enough to float her sales. We will see.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

You mean 2 of the highest selling albums of the year

RihannaWink.gif

Bladenic

Lol of course....I am always tense with 1D though.

As to Rih she has never sold well with her albums. There were sales all over on launch week for her album so the bargain hunters already purchased it. Not sure Diamonds at #1 is enough to float her sales. We will see.

I just wonder if Unapologetic will outsell her previous 3 albums given its higher debut.

Edit: yep, 2 of the highest selling albums. When will Garbaj? :p

Mumei

Um, I didn't say the first era didn't count did I? It did. And that was it. 15 years ago kiii. Also most consecutive #1s? Isn't that Mariah? And Gaga never had that record, try Katy.

The record for most consecutive number ones on the Billboard Hot 100 chart goes to Whitney Houston:

Saving All My Love For You
How Will I Know
Greatest Love Of All
I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
Didn't We Almost Have It All
So Emotional
Where Do Broken Hearts Go

Your faves' flop strings of number one hits can have a seat.

i0yrgncjGe9gR.jpg

The record for most consecutive number ones on the Billboard Hot 100 chart goes to Whitney Houston:

How Will I Know
Greatest Love Of All
So Emotional

i0yrgncjGe9gR.jpg

whitney-Houston-heaven.jpg

Bladenic

How Will I Know
Greatest Love Of All
So Emotional

i0yrgncjGe9gR.jpg

Mariah still holds the record for most consecutive female #1s starting with her debut no? Either way, queens.

royalan

I'd like to know too. Wiki says she's had two in a row. I don't believe that's record breaking.

Hmmm I could have swore I read somewhere that Xtina had the record for most #1s on a single album by a pop female until Gaga took that title (briefly).

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Hmmm I could have swore I read somewhere that Xtina had the record for most #1s on a single album by a pop female until Gaga took that title (briefly).
Gaga tied with Mariah for most consecutive Top 10 singles since their debut until Marry The Night flopped.

That's the only record I can think of you might be referring to.

Bladenic

I think Mariah sent 4 straight 1s from her debut, Xtina did 3. Gaga only did 2, she never had that record.

Supermanisdead REVIEW: Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire

De Novo Adagio - A short instrumental piano intro. Calm and almost haunting. Piano magic, nothing esle. Good intro track, but it doesn't wow. 3.5/5

Brand New Me - This is THE song of the album. This is what Alicia does best. Piano and her voice, with a subdued drum coming in during the second verse. Halfway, the song really picks up and she gets to really singing. I'm so glad that this will be the second single. Flaw-free ballad. 5/5

When it's All Over - Hip-hop inspired Keys in the beginning, but she goes back to her classic soulful sounds during the verses. Here, the piano takes a back seat to the synths and drums and it really pops. The song ends with her baby son talking. Blue Ivy CLOCKED. Hew? Next. 4/5

Listen To Your Heart - Another intimate low-key song. Nothing much to say about it. Borderline filler, but I still use it. 3/5

New Day - More hip-hop style. This is a JAM. Production slays and Alicia sings beautifully over it. The hook is the best part by far. This is going in my "Alicia's greatest" playlist. 5/5

Girl on Fire (Inferno version) featuring Nicki Minaj - Yeah, that's right. The Nicki turd somehow made it onto the full version instead of the actual single. Girl on Fire wasn't the greatest in the first place, but Sticki ruins it. It still gets points because I love the beat and the hook. 2/5

Fire We Make featuring Maxwell - Awww yeah, sex jam. Nuff said. 5/5

Tears Always Win - This song is very different from her older stuff. Upbeat piano and the production is a bit more "big". The vocals are more standard Alicia ballad type stuff. Seems like a jarring combination at first, but she works it. It's not a song for a single release, but it's really cute. 4/5

Not Even The King - This is giving me Diary teas. A subdued, soulful ballad with just the piano as accompaniment. Will use extensively. 5/5

That's When I knew - Follows Not Even The King in it's style, but brings in more drums and a stronger voice overall. The chorus slays. I can't... 5/5

Limitedless - Raggae-inspired jam. A surprising turn for the album. Her signature piano is nowhere to be heard. Instead it's a lot of synth sounds and drums. This is the closest thing album has to a summer jam. Really exciting. 4.5/5

One Thing - After the shift in Limitedless, this takes a step back to standard R&B. Good, but not great. Highlight is the chorus. 3/5

101 - A final piano ballad to finish off the album. It's soft and haunting with the slight echo effect and her big volume fluctuations. Has a short secret track on the end that it is a booming, soulful Halleluljah. 4/5

Overall this is a really great album. Unfortunately the title track isn't up the par and it sucks that it is the lead single. Thankfully the best song, Brand New Me, is the second single and it is pure perfection. Girl on Fire reaches higher places than Element of Freedom and As I Am, but it reaches pretty low with Girl on Fire (Inferno). R&B record of the year, and tied with Paradise as record of the year. Now give me a star.

That is a pretty good hold for Lotus. So I think her problem isn't lack of interest, just lack of awareness. She needs a hit single, stat

Considering her 1st week numbers this is a damn good hold. Especially considering she doesn't even have a song on radio at the moment. If Lotus can hold on until JAF I think Lotus will ultimately be fine.

lmao, i missed this

royalan

That is a pretty good hold for Lotus. So I think her problem isn't lack of interest, just lack of awareness. She needs a hit single, stat

lmao, i missed this

She needs a single she'll actually promote. That's been her big problem this era.

I will never understand why she never performed Your Body.

She needs something to sell her songs that don't involve live performances.

No offense to miss Xtina, but she does a TERRIBLE job of selling her songs live because she treats them like remixes or like songs that everybody's heard for years. You can't have the whole track running in the background while you grunt and sing over it. Nobody's heard the song yet, they don't wanna be hearin' you adding another layer.

If she wanted to promote through performances then she needs to have a tight vocal that has her singing the song without the layered runs and riffs. Not to mention look decent and have a concept that isn't muddled or confusing.

ie. Pop star 101

3phemeral

lmao, i missed this
I guess that's more of a "glass is half full" type of mentality. Other girls experienced gains that week thanks to the AMAs and possibly BF deals (of which I don't know who benefited). I wouldn't say Xtina's "hold" isn't so much as "good" as it is lackluster, considering she had the Voice promo, the AMAs and BF deals going for her. Even then, she experienced drops when she probably should have gained because of how little she sold to begin with.

No offense to miss Xtina, but she does a TERRIBLE job of selling her songs live because she treats them like remixes or like songs that everybody's heard for years. You can't have the whole track running in the background while you grunt and sing over it. Nobody's heard the song yet, they don't wanna be hearin' you adding another layer.

If she wanted to promote through performances then she needs to have a tight vocal that has her singing the song without the layered runs and riffs. Not to mention look decent and have a concept that isn't muddled or confusing.

ie. Pop star 101

She needs to learn how to rearrange her songs so she can sing them live again, that or just make songs suitable for your range and avoid inserting those F5 belts when you know you can't do them live.

Kyon

Banned
Scream and Shout is genuinely awful tho, cmon gerls we're not stanning that trash are we?

I don't Stan for it. It's trash and BFB is better but the beat is cute as well as EnglishAccentney

Britney stans get excited and stan for literally ANYTHING she does no matter how awful.

There were Britney stans stanning for her fucking Twister commerical. I mean...

ikXOi4ww3zHNU.gif

Yes Britney Stans are the only ones excited when their fave does something

royalan

ie. Pop star 101

Agree. Until she gets back into shape physically and vocally she needs to give up on the idea if these powerhouse pop performances. Less is more. Focus on the song and the vocal and, for fucks sake, no more medleys.

I guess that's more of a "glass is half full" type of mentality. Other girls experienced gains that week thanks to the AMAs and possibly BF deals (of which I don't know who benefited). I wouldn't say Xtina's "hold" isn't so much as "good" as it is lackluster, considering she had the Voice promo, the AMAs and BF deals going for her. Even then, she experienced drops when she probably should have gained because of how little she sold to begin with.

She needs to learn how to rearrange her songs so she can sing them live again, that or just make songs suitable for your range and avoid inserting those F5 belts when you know you can't do them live.

I disagree. Maybe if she had something in the radio during this time a rise would be fair to expect. But she has nothing representing Lotus on radio currently. Nor did RCA discount Lotus on ITunes for BF. Considering that, her hold is definitely impressive.

Artemisia

Banned
ikXOi4ww3zHNU.gif

Yes Britney Stans are the only ones excited when their fave does something

no it just seems that many britney stans on atrl get so excited when their fave does some of the most mundane things. like 'slaying' basic choreo in a TV ad for a children's toy.

did I lie

8f70c6ea.gif

Kyon

Banned
All of my favorite albums this year were flops.

icMox0NzKure7.gif

;__;

What the bloody hell, thread is still going on about sales?

Don't want to sound like some indie kid but whooooo caaaaaares

We have to collect the receipts. Not necessarily CARING about sales. We just need ammo to defend or drag for our faves :)

no it just seems that many britney stans on atrl

That's where you stop and think.

Then have a seat and forget this ever happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom