• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Cockiness was not sent to radio. It was a digital-only release. Therefore not a real single.

You didnt try at all. Much like Xtincta with Your Body.

iVgBPMFPDUTXj.gif

But is it, or is it not, a flop?

RjM6l.gif

Mau ®

But is it, or is it not, a flop?

RjM6l.gif

Dont change yo subject. It was not a single... why are we placing expectations similar to those of a major singles to a song that wasnt?

RjM6l.gif

The Boys however. Official single: sent to radio, release digitally, has a video out. Poor dat.

Styles

Taylor Swift - The Lucky One
New to town with a made up name in the angel city,
Chasing fortune and fame.
And the camera flashes, make it look like a dream.
You had it figured out since you were in school.
Everybody loves pretty, everybody loves cool.
So overnight you look like a sixties’ queen.

Another name goes up in lights, like diamonds in the sky.

And they’ll tell you now, you’re the lucky one.
Yeah, they’ll tell you now, you’re the lucky one.
But can you tell me now, you’re the lucky one.

Now it’s big black cars, and Riviera views,
And your lover in the foyer doesn’t even know you
And your secrets end up splashed on the news front page.

And they tell you that you’re lucky.
But you’re so confused,
Cause you don’t feel pretty, you just feel used.
And all the young things line up to take your place.

Another name goes up in lights. You wonder if you’ll make it out alive.

Can you tell me now, you’re the lucky one, oh, oh, oh.

It was a few years later, I showed up here.
And they still tell the legend of how you disappeared,
How you took the money and your dignity, and got the hell out.
They say you bought a bunch of land somewhere,
Chose the Rose Garden over Madison Square,
And it took some time, but I understand it now.

‘Cause now my name is up in lights, but I think you got it right,

Let me tell you now, you’re the lucky one.
Let me tell you now, you’re the lucky one.
Let me tell you now, you’re the lucky one, oh, oh, oh.

And they’ll tell you now, you’re the lucky one, oh, oh, oh.
Oh, whoa, oh, oh.

"Lucky" by Max Martin, Rami Yacoub, Alexander Kronlund

This is a story about a girl named Lucky…

Early morning, she wakes up
Knock, knock, knock on the door
It's time for makeup, perfect smile
It's you they're all waiting for
They go…
"Isn't she lovely, this Hollywood girl?"
And they say…

[CHORUS:]
She's so lucky, she's a star
But she cry, cry, cries in her lonely heart, thinking
If there's nothing missing in my life
Then why do these tears come at night

Lost in an image, in a dream
But there's no one there to wake her up
And the world is spinning, and she keeps on winning
But tell me what happens when it stops?
They go…
"Isn't she lovely, this Hollywood girl?"
And they say…

[Repeat CHORUS]

"Best actress, and the winner is…Lucky!"
"I'm Roger Johnson for Pop News standing outside the arena waiting for Lucky"
"Oh my god…here she comes!"

Isn't she lucky, this Hollywood girl?
She is so lucky, but why does she cry?
If there's nothing missing in her life
Why do tears come at night?

[repeat chorus twice]

Not a 22 year old out-writing 3 men who are in the 30s. Taylor's "Lucky One" is infinitely better than Britney's "Lucky" both lyrically and musically.

botty

Banned
Dont change yo subject. It was not a single... why are we placing expectations similar to those of a major singles to a song that wasnt?

RjM6l.gif

The Boys however. Official single: sent to radio, release digitally, has a video out. Poor dat.

Why do the record labels consider it a single? I'm not trying to be shady, I want to know.

The artists you stan for know a lot about flops, so you tell us.

RjM6l.gif

My fave also knows about #1 albums. I think that information might be more helpful.
z63MU.gif

royalan

So, y'all might remember when I posted lyrics for "Sing For Me" - a track from the upcoming Album of the Year: Lotus

In case you don't:

I'ma sing it out loud
Sing it out just for myself
Cause I don't even care
What the world thinks about
How I sound
Cause I open my mouth
My whole heart cries out
Every tear I wanna cry stays in
Cause I'm singing to the wind and
I'ma sing all night
When I open my mouth
There's no place to hide
Everything that I feel flows at the stream
Singing to the wind
I sing for me

Now, we have a YT video of some dude who's friends with the songwriter singing the chorus.

Impressions:

1) I loved the lyrics but now I'm also in love with the melody.

2) Very anthemic. Would go well with BIG production (a sweeping string section matched with tribal drums to match the rumors, perhaps).

3) Sounds exactly like something Xtina would record.

2) I can't wait until we hear this with Xtina's vocals...aaaaand I'm going to keep it cute with this dude and leave it at that. Thanks for giving us tea though.

royalan

More from the LOTUS rumor mill.

Amazon might have just accidentally given away the song that is being sampled in Xtina's "Red Hot Kind of Love". RHKOL is heavily rumored to be the second single.

Amazon.de accidentally linked this song in the Lotus tracklist instead of "Red Hot Kind of Love"...

May seem like an inconsequential thing, but Amazon.de has done this before. Before Bionic was released they accidentally linked a song called "Jungle Juice" by Elektrik Cokernut instead of the track "I Hate Boys" and, as you can hear, both songs have near-identical production.

So...take-aways:

1) Soultina is going to SLAY that intro.

2) Sounds like Xtina's coming for Rihanna's "Man Down" wig...teehee

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
PSY > Ke$ha > Maroon 5 > Taylor Swift > Fun. > Rihanna

Fitting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You are so #PRESSED over Rihanna. Its a shame. Her reign will not let up, and she will continue to assault your ears with music that is played everywhere and consumed by the general public. Poor you.

Come now. Sixth is a very respectable chart position. It's almost top five!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Come now. Sixth is a very respectable chart position. It's almost top five!

You're right. No one buys her albums (even though they've all gone platinum). They're too busy buying her singles (11 #1s and the highest selling digital artist EVER) and Radio is too busy playing her music (#1 Top 40 artist since the chart's inception). Face it. People are here for Rih, and will continue to be. Unfortunately for you, you're in the minority.

Majmun

Am I the only one here who has bought the new Nelly Furtado album? It's amazing.

The album being the biggest bomb in the history of music will leave me eternally pressed tbh. Nelly deserves better than that.

Tomodachi

Am I the only one here who has bought the new Nelly Furtado album? It's amazing.

The album being the biggest bomb in the history of music will leave me eternally pressed tbh. Nelly deserves better than that.

It's really good. I don't see how it sold so little, bad promotion? Bad as in non-existent, more like.

royalan

I think it's a bit all-over-the-place, but didn't deserve to sell that badly. Not at all.

Majmun

Loose was great and a massive success.

But other stars took over the industry during her hiatus, including Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Kesha, Katy Perry etc. They all became huge AFTER the Loose-era.
The POP industry moved on. And she didn't do enough to stay relevant...

Spirit Indestructible selling just 2637 copies during its openingweek in the UK, and less than 7000 copies during its US' opening week is disastrous.

Very bitter after this succes

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Calvin Harris is overexposed and all his songs are completely overplayed.

So why have I got Sweet Nothing on loop?

tumblr_m4kbizN4HA1qcor6q.png

Still fighting over snorelor swift, I don't know why you gerls expend so many words over such basic music. It was impressive that she could write her nursery rhyme quality jingles at like 13. The fact that people are still buying them now is embarrassing. I met some breeder friends yesterday and the first topic of conversation they brought up is how completely basic the songwriting on We Are Never... is, kiiiii

Jake Bugg is an 18 year old folk singer songwriter.

His songs get played on a wider variety of radio stations than Leona's songs do (she only gets played on pop stations) and his music appeals to a demographic that buys albums over singles (likewise the Mumfords). Leona didn't stand a chance competing against them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
All these BASIC folk bands can just >>>>>

All the worse because it makes people whine on about AUTHENTICITY and all that bloody bullshit.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Also, I got a viewing partner for the GODS ALOUD TEN TOUR tickets I plan to buy later in the week. My life is complete tbh.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Go Godel, G-G-Go Go Go!
In my head its a sort of pop gaf anthem tbh

GO GERLS G-G-GO GO GO
WE GERLS GONNA TAKE CONTROL
FOOTIE GAF BETTER KNOW KNOW KNOW
WE GERLS GONNA RUN THIS SHOW

WE'RE THE LEADERS OF THE PACK
TELL ME CAN YOU HANDLE THAT
WE'RE THE LEADERS OF THE PACK
BOY YOU BETTER WATCH YOUR BACK

Peru

I met some breeder friends yesterday and the first topic of conversation they brought up is how completely basic the songwriting on We Are Never... is, kiiiii

Max Martin's chords are all over that song, not really the best place to go for analysis of Swift's songwriting. Not that any song really sounds like that, so what 'basic' means in this regard.. or more to the point, about Swift's discography which she's written herself, is anyone's guess. The subtle turns of melody and her still evolving but always uniquely TS'ian specific yet metaphysical narratives have not ever fit your 'jingle' description. Same old story about most Swift critics, though, no interest in looking at the actual music.

Don't know if this very nice interview/article was posted here, but it's worth reading again http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/oct/18/taylor-swift-want-believe-pretty-lies

wherein she references this very nice joni mitchell song (as suggested by the article's title): http://youtu.be/igj20M84hbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom