• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Warrior/Deconstructed today! :D I'll do my review when I've soaked it all in, so that I can make proper judgments of the songs. For now, I'll say that I'm floored.

Bladenic

I got Warrior/Deconstructed today! :D I'll do my review when I've soaked it all in, so that I can make proper judgments of the songs. For now, I'll say that I'm floored.

One of the few who bought it.

tumblr_mdjyrbhHoO1qd7fc3o1_250.gif

Trigger

Bruno makes very listenable songs. Nothing that would blow me away, but pretty decent hooks and melodies. I'll probably listen to the full album tonight.

royalan

Ugh...my best friend/roommate is a Bruno Mars STAN. I still have nightmares about the period when Doo-Wops & Hooligans was his go-to "I'm so not having sex behind this closed door" album.

I'm not sure I'm ready to relive that traumatic experience again.

Bladenic

Ugh...my best friend/roommate is a Bruno Mars STAN. I still have nightmares about the period when Doo-Wops & Hooligans was his go-to "I'm so not having sex behind this closed door" album.

I'm not sure I'm ready to relive that traumatic experience again.

People actually play music while banging? I always thought that was a joke or something from sitcoms and romantic comedies.

tumblr_mdjyrbhHoO1qd7fc3o2_250.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

That sounds boring tbh

I would rather do it to Government Hooker Supernatural on repeat

Get a little bit wrong, get a little bit wild
Get a little bit high off of this love tonight
Get a little bit raw, come a little undone
Get a little bit reckless, I can't get enough

Baby when we're touching in the dark, can you feel it?

iWzh2zTy6vVNE.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think there's an interesting comparison to be had between the fact that Rihanna gets invited to play at Victoria's Secret fashion shows and Azealia Banks gets invited to play at Karl Lagerfeld's house.

Galang

Banned
I've never really listened to Sky Ferriera before. She's pretty good.

Everything is Embarrassing is perfect. One of my favorite songs this year. Don't really like anything else on the EP unfortunately, but still interested by the album.

Also Azealia needs to get it together. 9/10 of her songs are her just rapping over already existing artist's beats she found without any changes, she really should have learned her lesson by now -_-. Pushing an album back six months and then doing all these promotions/tours/videos... this is coming in like December of 2013 :(

botty

Banned
I think there's an interesting comparison to be had between the fact that Rihanna gets invited to play at Victoria's Secret fashion shows and Azealia Banks gets invited to play at Karl Lagerfeld's house.

I wrote up some azealia shade, but then I deleted it.
iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Also Azealia needs to get it together. 9/10 of her songs are her just rapping over already existing artist's beats she found without any changes, she really should have learned her lesson by now -_-. Pushing an album back six months and then doing all these promotions/tours/videos... this is coming in like December of 2013 :(
She MAKES the songs though. Nobody knows or cares who Lazy Jay or Munchi are independently of Azealia turning their tracks into slay.

Sorry I should clarify that there are four Nicki Minaj stans who pretend to care or know who Lazy Jay or Munchi are.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

Roy shading true talent again. Quelle surprise.

Isn't there another exciting up-and-coming artist you should be dragging right about now? I'm thinking of a seven letter word that starts with P.
ipD8y9xtjEkKZ.jpg

Trigger

Everything is Embarrassing is perfect. One of my favorite songs this year. Don't really like anything else on the EP unfortunately, but still interested by the album.

If it ever gets released at this point.
r4CiE.png

Homegirl needs to make her own beats.

ibbbGyoIAhHxUP.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Just to remind everybody what the world thinks of 2012:

Time's Top 10 Albums of 2012

1. Fiona Apple, The Idler Wheel…
2. Kendrick Lamar, good kid, m.A.A.d city
3. Frank Ocean, channel ORANGE
4. Dirty Projectors, Swing Lo Magellan
5. Getatchew Mekuria & the Ex & Friends, Y’Anbessaw Tezeta
6. Swans, The Seer
7. Various Artists, Listen, Whitey! The Sounds of Black Power 1967–74
8. The Mountain Goats, Transcendental Youth
9. Azealia Banks, 1991 EP
10. Killer Mike, R.A.P. Music

ib0RiE1vjKBO0L.gif

Kiiiii at a four track EP beating out certain 13-tracked albums.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
TBH publications have an aversion to ever putting hit artists on their lists.....they are way too hip for "mainstream" acts.

Yes, tell yourself that's why Take Me Home didn't get album of the year.

Although Visions is sorely missing from that list.

*eyeroll*

For serious. The "music writers" of most publications are irrelevant hacks who only enjoy irrelevant hack artists.

Take Me Home would not be my choice for album of the year anyways

Galang

Banned
Visions is going to make many other lists at least. She already got #1 AOTY on a site didn't she? :S

If it ever gets released at this point.
r4CiE.png

Homegirl needs to make her own beats.

Seriously. Actually I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet with how close she seems to some of them.

She MAKES the songs though. Nobody knows or cares who Lazy Jay or Munchi are independently of Azealia turning their tracks into slay.

Sorry I should clarify that there are four Nicki Minaj stans who pretend to care or know who Lazy Jay or Munchi are.

Had no idea who Lazy Jay was hah, but the rest of the beat she's rapped on I heard beforehand so it's kind of a buzzkill for me when I recognize the beat. A lot of people complain on Machinedrum's page about her jacking his beats and he said he was working on original stuff for her. I hope this means she's using her money to get some custom stuff lol. She definitely gives them the extra punch, so even though she does the rest herself I feel she could do better. I'm actually purposely avoiding listening to any new Machinedrum just because of it .

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

Take Me Home doesn't need a nomination from a publication that is only read by Madonna's age group

Can't wait for their next platinum album coming next year
iLop8HLL6mkbU.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Aside from Visions, though, are there really any pop albums that deserve to be above any of the other albums on the list?

I mean yeah, obviously Lotus and Unapologetic, albums of the forever, etc.,

but I mean, actually seriously. I don't know if I think this year has been particularly great for mainstream pop.

Aside from Visions, though, are there really any pop albums that deserve to be above any of the other albums on the list?

I mean yeah, obviously Lotus and Unapologetic, albums of the forever, etc.,

but I mean, actually seriously.

...but I mean no average American knows who most of those artists are. Very few of them get played on the radio.

Its easy to parade artists whose music no one ever hears as being superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom