• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

The pressed will be pressed but that ain't changing nothing. She is slaying and that's something you can't change.

THE POP GAF HATE WILL NOT STOP THE QUEEN!!

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

Bladenic

For Jessie Ware, the past few years have been a series of happy accidents.

"There are so many great singers out there," says the 28-year-old London-born singer, whose U.K. debut, "Devotion," was recently nominated for a Mercury Prize and whose domestic debut, EP "If You're Never Gonna Move," is set to arrive Jan. 15 on Cherrytree Records/Interscope. "I just seem to be in the right place at the right time."

Indeed. In 2009, Ware was working as a journalist when she got a call from an old school friend, XL Recordings artist Jack Peñate, who asked her to perform backing vocals for him on a BBC Radio 1 session. She had to take time off to make the session, which proved to be life-changing. "It was so much fun," she says. "I just thought: 'This is the life.'"

Further shows with Peñate followed, including an eye-opening tour of America, during which a crew member introduced her to the music of then-unknown London-based dubstep producer ­SBTRKT (born Aaron Jerome). Ware was amazed by what she heard and, upon returning to London after the tour, sought out the producer, and the two started writing together. "It felt so original and exciting," says Ware, whose vocals are featured on ­SBTRKT's self-titled 2011 album (Young Turks/XL).

Additional collaborations with underground EDM artists Sampha ("Valentine") and DJ Joker ("The Vision") followed, leading Ware to a record deal with PMR Records/Island. Until landing the solo contract, Ware says she was "content just being a backing singer [on] tracks that my mates would hopefully hear in a club and dance to."

The prospect of a solo album brought new challenges. Not that Ware was concerned. Instead, she describes her attitude as "just suck it and see -- trying and experimenting different things. There are plenty of terrible songs that no one will ever hear, but they helped me shape what I didn't want to do."

The result was the 11-track "Devotion," a project that took shape throughout 2011 and into 2012 and features the work of producers Dave Okumu, Julio Bashmore and Kid Harpoon. Released in the United Kingdom in August, "Devotion" mixes downtempo dance rhythms; soulful, moody pop reminiscent of Sade; and the singer's emotive, R&B-infused vocals. The set bowed at No. 5 in the United Kingdom and sales stand at 38,000, according to the Official Charts Co.; it was nominated for the Mercury Prize less than a month after release.

Now, Ware has her sights set on the United States with shows at New York venue the Box (Dec. 10) and Los Angeles' Bootleg Bar (Dec. 13) ahead of the EP. Ware returns stateside for a six-date trek beginning Jan. 14 at the Sinclair in Cambridge, Mass., booked by Marty Diamond at Paradigm.

"My goals for Jessie are absolute nationwide domination, but in a respectful, incremental and organic way," says Cherrytree head Martin Kierszenbaum, who first encountered Ware when Island Records U.K. co-presidents Darcus Beese and Ted Cockle invited him to watch her perform in London.

In line with Cherrytree's previously successful campaigns for Ellie Goulding and La Roux, the label is taking a slow-burn approach to its latest British signing. Music has been serviced to noncommercial stations and Kierszenbaum is confident Ware will naturally gravitate toward top 40 formats. "I believe the caliber of the record is such that we're going to end up at top 40 radio," says Kierszenbaum, who's eyeing a spring U.S. bow for "Devotion."

In the meantime, Ware is happy to take each day as it comes. "I don't think too far a­head because I want to appreciate what's happening now," says the artist, who's been racking up A-list cosigns. ( Katy Perry recently tweeted: "This lil' lady is going to be massive.") "It doesn't feel like work. It feels like a real adventure."

http://www.billboard.com/features/jessie-ware-mercury-prize-nominee-preps-1008043292.story?utm_source=most_recent#/features/jessie-ware-mercury-prize-nominee-preps-1008043292.story?utm_source=most_recent

SHE IS COMING!!!!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Rihanna has sold out the Stade de France, snatching GaGa's wig for youngest artist to ever sell out the Stade de France.

le-stade-de-france.jpg

ITS OK THO SHE'LL BE OVER SOON, RIGHT?!
lmfao.gif

Bitch please...

rihanna617o4i.gif

DAT RIHANNA REIGN JUST WON'T LET UP!

They stay trying to come for her but they cant. She stays shutting them up about stuff they try to clock her on. Poor them.

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

Artemisia

Banned

In the meantime, Ware is happy to take each day as it comes. "I don't think too far a­head because I want to appreciate what's happening now," says the artist, who's been racking up A-list cosigns. ( Katy Perry recently tweeted: "This lil' lady is going to be massive.") "It doesn't feel like work. It feels like a real adventure."

Mother Perrysa, the most compassionate. Taking time out of her day to do promo for flops.

ilMJWemrXiLDn.gif

Artemisia

Banned
I AM SCREAMING.

The renamed EP (it was originally titled 110%) practically confirms there will be new tracks.

OMG.
iQ0Qk7Z8y9cx3.gif

Perra remains vulgar, but I appreciate the promo.

i0QNqD9MZlVVF.gif

for some reason title makes me think the new tracks will be a bit more dancey

omg

Koodo

Banned
I wish Jessie Ware would get with the digital times. She isn't on iTunes or Amazon, and I'm not buying a physical CD.
She did get with the digital times. Devotion was available in the iTunes USA store for a limited time after its UK release (it remains in the Canadian store). The album has been pulled now that a US version is coming, I would imagine.

The #aWAREness campaign alerted everyone of this information back in August. I'm afraid you have disappointed all of us.

iboHlU6U0Kh2Vs.gif

Even Artemess bought the album.

Artemisia

Banned
Devotion was probably taken off iTunes because of her recent record deal with Cherrytree, and they want to put their version up (probably with new tracks).

edit: ic

DMeisterJ

Banned
She did get with the digital times. Devotion was available in the iTunes USA store for a limited time after its UK release (it remains in the Canadian store). The album has been pulled now that a US version is coming, I would imagine.

The #aWAREness campaign alerted everyone of this information back in August. I'm afraid you have disappointed all of us.

iboHlU6U0Kh2Vs.gif

Even Artemess bought the album.

I didn't have an iPhone then. :/

Now I have to wait.

royalan

Nl0Ow.png

This was more difficult to figure out than I thought, so I decided to make it a much bigger deal than originally intended. Deal.

I have consulted my iTunes, my Spotify, and my Youtube receipts. Behold! The list below are all the songs relevant to this thread that got the most use by Yours Truly.

In no particular order:

Best of Me – Christina Aguilera
Your Body – Christina Aguilera
Lotus Intro – Christina Aguilera
Ride – Lana Del Rey
Blue Jeans – Lana Del Rey
Born To Die – Lana Del Rey
American – Lana Del Rey
Running – Jessie Ware
Aaliyah – Katy B/Jessie Ware
Titanium - David Guetta ft. Sia
Diamonds - Rihanna
Where Have You Been - Rihanna
Birthday Cake (Featuring Bruises) - Rihanna
Liquorish – Azealia Banks
Jumanji – Azealia Banks
Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepson
I Don’t Care – Elle Varner
Refill – Elle Varner
Criminal – ZZ Ward
Cryin’ Wolf (Featuring Kendrick Lamar) – ZZ Ward
Genesis - Grimes
Express Yourself – Diplo
I’m Addicted – Madonna
Copy Cat - Skream ft. Kelis
Push and Shove – No Doubt
Lookin Hot – No Doubt
Free – Graffiti 6
Hot Knife – Fiona Apple
Use Me – Miguel
Last Night – Niki and the Dove
Something New – Girls Aloud
One Last Time – Agnes
PU$$Y – Iggy Azalea
Spectrum - Florence + The Machine
Primadonna - Marina and the Diamonds
Bad Girls - MIA
Anything Could Floppin Happen - Ellie Goulding

Admittedly, some of these songs are cheating and were around prior to this year. But they were either made singles or were a part of a re-release in 2012. So nyah!

Over the next day or so I will be meditating on which TEN of the songs in the above list gave me the most life over the course of 2012. In the meantime, I thought you guys might like a peek at the songs that made Royalan's pussy the poppingest this year...a year that I can best describe in one word:

DISAPPOINTMENT

Yes - despite some pleasant surprises here and there this year has been a TRAVESTY for Pop music and all the genres that orbit the Pop industry. Here's hoping 2013 has some better shit in store for us.
ibjCCGedYfL9vf.gif

botty

Banned

Love the banner, Roy<3

A lot of good picks, and some I had forgotten! Will be using this to help me with the Pop gaf grammys *.*

Quite flawle.......

ibqVftM1t9NMRm.gif

Nemesis_

She is touring with Guetta tho and you can still buy tickets

http://www.ticketnet.fr/pack/idPack/252

ibkpvP5O9TZ3ep.gif

What an embarrassing liar, though who is surprised Rih can't read or have basic comprehension skills.

In other news:

Like any 22-year-old, Taylor Swift has had plenty of loves and heartbreaks, only she’s experienced them in the public eye. Now, in a new cover story for Cosmopolitan UK, the country star admits that she isn’t perfect in the romance department, especially when it comes to making connections last for the long haul.

In the January issue of the women’s magazine, Swift says when it comes to relationships, she doesn’t know “how to make them last.” “I’ve never had a really long relationship, so I have no idea what that’s like,” she says. “Wish me luck for the future!”

We’re not sure if the ever-so-lovable Swift really needs any luck when it comes to love, but she may want to apply what she’s learned from past boyfriends to her rumored relationship with One Direction‘s Harry Styles.

Styles is four years Swift’s junior, but age isn’t a deterrent when it comes to love, the singer says. “I really don’t have any rules about dating when it comes to height, age, career choice, anything like that. It doesn’t matter. It’s really more about strength of character. When it comes to age I’ve been all over the map!”

We’re not sure if Swift can learn from her mistakes and make her relationship with Styles last, but she has admitted to tossing caution to the wind — and even wrote a song about it.

“I don’t know. I think that idea of love I hope for is that you learn a lesson and you don’t have to learn it twice. But the song ‘I Knew You Were Trouble’ is about when I knowingly made the same mistake twice. I couldn’t resist it — there’s that temptation to push yourself into a risky situation with someone who is going to hurt you, and that’s what that song is about: not trusting your own instincts and ignoring all the red flags.”

The January issue of Cosmopolitan UK, featuring Swift on the cover, is on sale today (Dec. 7).

From PopCrush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom