• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
WFL is the most played song on Top 40 this year. Unsurprising since Rih is the #1 artist on Top 40 since the chart's inception.

#ArtPop2012WorldDomination

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Take Me Home - 105,456
Up All Night - 32,953

138k albums sold this week

iSG76MCCUijwz.gif

Christopher

- A better singer
- A better dancer
- A better performer
- More accolades
- More cultural impact
- More respect by her peers
- More international popularity and recognition
- A taller resume
- A seemingly more involved approach in her projects
- More likable personality
- Has failed to make industry enemies or create bad blood
- More influential legacy-work
- Created an aesthetic that's ushered in more copycats than Madonna in her hayday
- Recognized for her talent in the most mainstream contexts (very few have reached this level)
- More on-stage charisma
- A presence and style that's become all her own
- Much higher standards for what makes a quality concert, performance, or album
- Has reached such cultural and musical acclaim that low-selling albums won't affect her negatively anymore
- Had the sharpest rise from "newbie" to "legend" status since Michael Jackson
- A better actress (not saying much)
- Is guaranteed to be remembered in 15 years
- Added a new word to the Official English Dictionary
- Sang at the Inauguration of one of the country's most iconic presidents ever
- Has a daughter who's the most talked about baby in the world, and whose face no one has seen

Should I keep going?

Okay I'll keep going:

- Has conducted herself publicly with class and respect
- Doesn't cling to an abuser
- The only person in pop music (ever) whose live vocals can top her studio vocals
- The only person other than Kanye West to be shamelessly praised on national television by Kanye West
- A music video that created a year-long frenzy in youtube imitations and cultural references
- Has mostly been the highest-paid female musician since 2008
- Unmatched business savvy and endoresment connections
- The only person in pop music (ever) to be iconicized for her vocals as much as her choreography

Can anyone recover from this kind of dragging?

Artemisia

Banned
Soulscribe knows I love him but half of that list is Hogwash and I think he knows it.

Only person ever to top her studio vocals? Gurl....Whitney says hi.

If we confine it to the current music scene, then it certainly holds true.

The point is, Rihanna isn't doing it and your fave aint doing it.

Christopher

So is Carly offically a one hit wonder so sad...all my summer favs flopped The Wanted, Jepsus I liked their new sounds and style and made something fresh.

royalan

If we confine it to the current music scene, then it certainly holds true.

The point is, Rihanna isn't doing it and your fave aint doing it.

Rihanna isn't doing it because she doesn't HAVE to.

If there is one thing Rihanna should rightfully be commended for, it's for slaying the EARTH by being exactly 100% who she is.

She keeps it real. She ain't trying to be your brat's role model and she's not trying to sing for nobody's goddamn president. And STILL she snatches. STILL she drags Bey's tired Texan crispy-ass blonde lacefront through the DUST.

More integrity in her forehead than Bey has in her entire body.

Meanwhile Bey remains lowdown, dirty, dumb and devoid of scruples. Will say anything, sign anything, endorse anything to keep her name out there. Will talk about wanting to be a role model and then turn around and record a song like video phone. Will knowingly cheat lesser known artists out of song credits and is the most prosecuted chick in the game because of this. Will endorse haircare products that she herself doesn't use because they are detrimental to the follicle health of people with her hair type. Will steal performance concepts wholesale and pray the world doesn't notice.

Beyonce is a snake, and Rih should thank her lucky stars for every quality she possesses that differentiates her from that wolf in sheep's clothing.

In the end, the only thing that matters is that you enjoyed the music they put out.
ifnid5YU117Z0.gif

This cannot be said enough.

The best fans are the ones that are there for the music, not the sales. If someone can only be a fan of an artist who is on top of the charts I am sad for them.

Artemisia

Banned

If there is one thing Rihanna should rightfully be commended for, it's for slaying the EARTH by being exactly 100% who she is.

She keeps it real. She ain't trying to be your brat's role model and she's not trying to sing for nobody's goddamn president. And STILL she snatches. STILL she drags Bey's tired Texan crispy-ass blonde lacefront through the DUST.

Meanwhile Bey remains lowdown, dirty, dumb and devoid of scruples. Will say anything, sign anything, endorse anything to keep her name out there. Will talk about wanting to be a role model and then turn around and record a song like video phone. Will knowingly cheat lesser known artists out of song credits and is the most prosecuted chick in the game because of this. Will endorse haircare products that she herself doesn't use because they are detrimental to the follicle health of people with her hair type. Will steal performance concepts wholesale and pray the world doesn't notice.

Beyonce is a snake, and Rih should thank her lucky stars for every quality she possesses that differentiates her from that wolf in sheep's clothing.

lordt

drinksmoke.jpeg

but i can't say I disagree with your overall point

DMeisterJ

Banned
I see Roy is trying to turn the Navy against the Beyhive. Nice try. And I also like how he's trying to steer the conversation off of that flop Xtuna. Again, nice try.

I see you.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Was gunna say. If anything DMJ was trying to distract from Bey vs Rihrih by bringing up Xtina.

There is no distraction intended. I stan for both of them, and the convo on who has done better or accomplished more or whatever is dumb because it's not like only one of them can be successful and be an accomplished artist. It's a dick-measuring contest when both of those females have done well for themselves.

Waffle cakes might make me buy warrior... :0

You should. It really is a quality album with solid tracks. Not without its flaws......but worth the money.

There is no distraction intended. I stan for both of them, and the convo on who has done better or accomplished more or whatever is dumb because it's not like only one of them can be successful and be an accomplished artist. It's a dick-measuring contest when both of those females have done well for themselves.

TBH there isn't much to argue about in the Bey vs Rihrih department. One is obviously the more relevant now and the other obviously has the greater legacy. Debate will not get interesting unless BOTH either flop or succeed this era.

She keeps it real. She ain't trying to be your brat's role model and she's not trying to sing for nobody's goddamn president. And STILL she snatches.
STILL she drags Bey's tired Texan crispy-ass blonde lacefront through the DUST.

I agree with the Rihanna assessment, I think folks who don't like RIh, don't like her because she's not playing the exact same game as their faves. I simply cannot at all that Beyonce SEETHE. My lord.

Nothing wrong with liking BaaB. It's a great song that can withstand Garbaj being on it and still being amazing. Hail the future King of POP

Eh.......I still get the feeling that Bieber's 15 minutes are almost up. Though I have thought that before and been wrong.

We will see. He did better this era than I expected.....but his target demo is getting kind of crowded right now.

Beaiber is giving me timberlake teas with this album I'm def feeling batb I told you guys it would smash

As someone who never overly enjoyed Timberlakes music (aside from a couple tracks) this does not encourage me.

TBH people are vastly overstating Bieber's success this era. His album sales are pretty meh when compared to 1D and Taylor's (similar demographics). He had one radio hit (his #1 hot 100 with Boyfriend was fueled by launch week sales...not radio). His singles sales were solid but still not ahead of the pack by any means..... Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I cannot deny he is a part of pop culture at this point though. Moreso than 1D or Taylor....so I guess that is something.

Bladenic

In other news, Rihanna got the #8 spot on AskMen's top 99 most desirable women list this year. Reader voted. I.. Disagree.

The bigger surprise is Cheryl Cole at #3. Not sure if this actually the US site, but good on her if it is. Not THAT local after all.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
In other news, Rihanna got the #8 spot on AskMen's top 99 most desirable women list this year. Reader voted. I.. Disagree.

The bigger surprise is Cheryl Cole at #3. Not sure if this actually the US site, but good on her if it is. Not THAT local after all.

The source is from the UK hence why Rihanna is there

Nothing wrong with liking BaaB. It's a great song that can withstand Garbaj being on it and still being amazing. Hail the future King of POP

Garbaj=Minaj thing right? I try to listen to mainstream music in years since I subscribed to Spotify and Music Unlimited, I kinda like Alaylm too.

Mau ®

Bieber surviving the sophomore slump is to be commended for. He may no longer have 1D-type sales but 1D wont have those kind of sales forever either. Yall know the life expectancy of a boyband is short. Bieber will easily outlive 1D.

Also Beibs music is better IMO kiiii

Bieber surviving the sophomore slump is to be commended for. He may no longer have 1D-type sales but 1D wont have those kind of sales forever either. Yall know the life expectancy of a boyband is short. Bieber will easily outlive 1D.

Actually he never had 1D type sales to begin with......

You better stop supporting for him I suppose.....since you only stan for the flavor of the month "hot artists"....and Bieber is no longer that.

iQRbZw8JAv75l.gif

Bladenic

Actually he never had 1D type sales to begin with......

You better stop supporting for him I suppose.....since you only stan for the flavor of the month "hot artists"....and Bieber is no longer that.

iQRbZw8JAv75l.gif

Lol yes he did.

And stop trying to come for ITZ, he can stan whomever he pleases.

Delio

It's cute to see people suddenly stanning for Bieber when a few OTs ago they didnt want him anywhere NEAR the OP or the thread. The flip flopping is TRUELY wonderful to see.

ibitgX0wBiC5qN.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom