• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
Taylor's album seems to be all over the place. Is it country or pop? Is it coming from the point of view of a prepubescent child or a woman? Just like in her sex life, she's spread herself too far. I wouldn't call such a mishmash of concepts album of the year.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

One could view this as a brilliant way to capture her inner conflicts in life.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

royalan

Taylor's album seems to be all over the place. Is it country or pop? Is it coming from the point of view of a prepubescent child or a woman? Just like in her sex life, she's spread herself too far. I wouldn't call such a mishmash of concepts album of the year.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

And not a damn lie was detected.

Jessie and Lana are duking it out for album of the year, tbh...

Artemisia

Banned
Devotion is a lean, fresh, and soulful indie pop record. Flawless debut.

Born To Die is an overproduced, languid, tryhard mess. She tried tho.

tumblr_mavjkyJXpM1rfduvxo1_250.gif

royalan

Born To Die has more authenticity, honest songwriting, and just all-around realness in its filler tracks than that entire Country Crocker Teen Fantasy Novel called RED.

Seethe.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Devotion is a lean, fresh, and soulful indie pop record. Flawless debut.

Born To Die is
Dw8EE.png

Born To Die:
-is masterfully produced
-has many unifying concepts of love, death, and fame
-wonderfully mixes retro styles with modern flares
-features Lana's unique sultry vocals

You can't stan the inbred album that is Red and say that BTD is a mess.

Mau ®

Born To Die has more authenticity, honest songwriting, and just all-around realness in its filler tracks than that entire Country Crocker Teen Fantasy Novel called RED.

Seethe.

Since Lana has had to LIE about her persona I also have to WONDER if her songwriting is just as honest?

Probably.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

royalan

Born To Die:
-is masterfully produced

YASSSS Go IN!!

The Dalai Lana is simply on a #HigherLevel.

Call me when Taybore branches out from the same tired "Wahh this boy dumped me or I dumped him I can't remember at this point!" routine.

Artemisia

Banned
Born To Die:
-is masterfully produced

Red has the bops (22, I Knew You Were Trouble), the jams (State of Grace, Holy Ground), and the deeper songs you need to sit down to get into (Treacherous, I Almost Do).

Could Lana ever? Nope.

Koodo

Banned
Should we really be considering the opinion of a lesser who not long ago thought the Ghoul's latest bowel movement was anything above middling?

i1mGtY296FazJ.gif

Precisely.

Seethe.
wmSzp.png

Aguila

#ICONIC
Since Lana has had to LIE about her persona I also have to WONDER if her songwriting is just as honest?

Probably.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

Lana is not the only artist that creates personas (ex. Lady Gaga). Plus, she didn't LIE about it. She made it up because she doesn't like her real name, and PLEASE do not come for her songwriting when your main fave is Rihanna.

royalan

Sis... nothing about Born To Die is honest. It's all manufactured.

Probably.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

Just illustrating my point.

Lana's superior skills as a songwriter allow her to transcend simply taking old deadjournal entries and turning them into songs. Rather, she wisely chooses to use her own life experiences as a template that, once combined with a tone and theme, are morphed into masterful lyrics that are universal, thoughtful and provocative, but no less honest.

It's called creative license.

Mau ®

Lana is not the only artist that creates personas (ex. Lady Gaga). Plus, she didn't LIE about it. She made it up because she doesn't like her real name, and PLEASE do not come for her songwriting when your main fave is Rihanna.

Rihanna doesn't pretend to be a songwriter AT ALL. So your point is moot. Much like Lana del Rey in AMERICA.

botty

Banned
Just illustrating my point.

Lana's superior skills as a songwriter allow her to transcend simply taking old deadjournal entries and turning them into songs. Rather, she wisely chooses to use her own life experiences as a template that, once combined with a tone and theme, are morphed into masterful lyrics that are universal, thought and provocative, but no less honest.

It's called creative license.

eloquently put, Roy. Exactly what I was thinking too.

Not to take anything away from Taylor's writing, which is good, but just shows no maturity.

b80efe23.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
Rihanna doesn't pretend to be a songwriter AT ALL. So your point is moot. Much like Lana del Rey in AMERICA.

If Lana wasn't relevant in America then why is her album still in the top 100 on the Billboard Albums chart (#80) after 8 months. Meanwhile, Rihanna's Talk That Talk is #165 after 11 months.

You would think that such an unknown artist wouldn't even be on such a chart. Especially not ahead of the superstar Rihanna.
pacute-1.gif

Mau ®

If Lana wasn't relevant in America then why is her album still in the top 100 on the Billboard Albums chart (#80) after 8 months. Meanwhile, Rihanna's Talk That Talk is #165 after 11 months.

You would think that such an unknown artists wouldn't even be on such a chart. Especially not ahead of the superstar Rihanna.
pacute-1.gif

Talk That Talk has outsold Born To Flop (in America) by a good margin in ALL world markets.

Furthermore it spawned the biggest pop hit released this decade. The only thing Born To Die will spawn is a drunken night at a depressing gay bar.

Also a 100 spots difference in the BB200 after the top 80 is like 2-5k albums sold. I woulndt brag about that kiiiiii

Aguila

#ICONIC
Talk That Talk has outsold Born To Flop (in America) by a good margin in ALL world markets.

Furthermore it spawned the biggest pop hit released this decade. The only thing Born To Die will spawn is a drunken night at a depressing gay bar.

Also a 100 spots difference in the BB200 after the top 80 is like 2-5k albums sold. I woulndt brag about that kiiiiii

Hun, I was addressing the comment you made on her relevancy in America. Talk about moving goal posts. Lana has done quite well for being a NEW artist, and without any hit singles. She's sold about 2.5 million albums. I believe BTD outsold Rihanna's first album which had 1 hit singal. Am I wrong?
pacute-1.gif

Mau ®

Hun, I was addressing the comment you made on her relevancy in America. Talk about moving goal posts. Lana has done quite well for being a NEW artist, and without any hit singles. She's sold about 2.5 million albums. I believe BTD outsold Rihanna's first album which had 1 hit singal. Am I wrong?
pacute-1.gif

I c you're now moving onto Rih's first mixtape
pacute-1.gif

Yes Lana has done quite well for herself as a new artist
pacute-1.gif
But you will NAWT come for Rih all of a sudden on a talk about foreign things to ha like serious songwriting. Keep it limited to Taylor
pacute-1.gif

Mau ®

Spektor

Aaliyah

Furtado

Timberlake :3

Love Spektor tho I didnt bother checking out her latest album. "Far" left me rather whelmed after the brilliant "Begin to Hope".

Dont care for Aaliyah. Everytime DMJ plays ha in the DJ Room its like....meh. Thankfully Drake will make her interesting like all things he does *.*
Sorry DMJ *.*

Furtado is good. The new album is quite good. Loose was THE POP ALBUM of 2006.

Timberlake... RIP.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Arte playing State of Grace in the DJ room.

This is the song you all went gaga over? It sounds like a Blondie b-side z-side.

Gerls, I am disappoint.

Trigger

Dont care for Aaliyah. Everytime DMJ plays ha in the DJ Room its like....meh. Thankfully Drake will make her interesting like all things he does *.*
Sorry DMJ *.*

FZ5TD.gif

Disgusting.

EDIT- The video for Va Va Voom....is Nicki even trying at this point? Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom