• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PR)AN IMPRESSIVE LINEUP OF GAMES DEMONSTRATES APPEAL OF NINTENDO DS

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
AN IMPRESSIVE LINEUP OF GAMES DEMONSTRATES APPEAL OF NINTENDO DS

Publishers Confirm More Than 60 New Games in Development for Western Hemisphere

REDMOND, Wash., Aug. 10, 2004 ? Nintendo DS? will rock the Western Hemisphere with an amazing lineup of games, as the video game industry's heavy hitters prepare to support Nintendo's revolutionary dual-screened hand-held innovation. Many of the industry's biggest software companies confirm that they will deliver names like Madden NFL, Viewtiful Joe, Rayman and SpongeBob SquarePants to the Nintendo DS, so players can enjoy their favorite franchises in ways never before possible.

"Publishers worldwide have taken the unique creative tools of our dual-screened Nintendo DS and used them to invent completely new ways to play," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing. "Just imagine the possibilities that a touch screen, voice recognition and wireless multiplayer action bring to video games."

Upcoming games from publishers like Electronic Arts, Square Enix, Capcom, Atari, Sega, Activision, Konami, Namco, Ubisoft, Vivendi Universal Games, THQ, Majesco and others demonstrate the broad range of support that Nintendo DS enjoys.

"EA's studio teams are working on a lot of great titles for the Nintendo DS," says Steve Chiang, General Manager of EA's Tiburon Studio, which makes Madden NFL.

"With the wireless feature, Madden players will be able to battle one another head-to-head like never before on a portable system."

"From the first time we saw the abilities of the Nintendo DS, we knew we had something extraordinary in our hands," says Will Kassoy, Activision's vice president of global brand management. "Our developers dove right in and made the most of the unique features of this revolutionary new system."

"THQ will be a big supporter of the hand-held Nintendo DS," says Brian Farrell, THQ's president and CEO. "The untapped capabilities demonstrate an exciting leap in hand-held video game technology."

Software companies around the globe have more than 120 Nintendo DS games in development. The following list includes a partial sampling of publishers and Nintendo DS games in development for the Western Hemisphere, with more to be announced in the future. Note that many are working titles, and that the information is subject to change.

Atari, Inc.
? Atari Classics

Atlus USA
? Caduceus
? Snowboard Kids DS
? Plus three additional titles in development

Bandai Entertainment Inc.
? Meteos
? Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
? Plus one additional title in development

Capcom Entertainment, Inc.
? Mega Man Battle Network
? Viewtiful Joe

Electronic Arts
? GoldenEye
? Madden NFL
? Need For Speed Underground
? Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf
? The URBZ: Sims in the City

Hudson Soft Co., Ltd.
? Bomberman

Koei Co., Ltd.
? Dynasty Warriors (working title)
? Plus two additional titles in development

Konami Digital Entertainment
? Boktai (working title)
? Castlevania (working title)
? Dragon Booster (working title)
? Frogger 2005 (working title)
? Survival Kids (working title)
? World Soccer Winning Eleven series (working title)
? Vandal Hearts (working titles)
? WINX (working title)
? Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour

Majesco
? Moonlight Fables
? Nanostray
? Plus at least three additional titles in development

Namco Hometek Inc.
? New Mr. Driller (working title)
? Pac 'n Roll (working title)
? Pac-Pix (working title)

Orbital Media
? Four titles in development, including the genres of action platformer, strategy role-playing, combat racing and family.

SEGA of America, Inc.
? Project Rub (working title)
? Sonic DS (working title)

Square Enix Co., Ltd.
? A new story of Secret of Mana
? A new story of Slime Morimori Dragon Quest
? Dragon Quest Monsters series
? Egg Monster Heroes
? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series

Summitsoft Corporation
? Air Assault 2
? Organizer Plus

Tecmo, Inc.
? Monster Rancher

Telegames, Inc.
? Ultimate Brain Games
? Ultimate Card Games
? Ultimate Pocket Games

THQ
? SpongeBob SquarePants
? Plus five additional titles in development

Ubisoft Entertainment
? Asphalt GT
? Rayman
? Plus additional titles in development, including a major movie license for early 2005

Vivendi Universal Games
? Robots

The worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home and portable video game systems. Each year, hundreds of all-new titles for the best-selling Game Boy® Advance and Nintendo GameCube? systems extend Nintendo's vast game library and continue the tradition of delivering a rich, diverse mix of quality video games for players of all ages. Since the release of its first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.9 billion video games and more than 170 million hardware units globally, creating enduring industry icons such as Mario? and Donkey Kong® and launching popular culture franchise phenomena such as Metroid®, Zelda? and Pokémon®. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere.

For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at www.nintendo.com.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=3666

here we go

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Viewtiful Joe DS...I'm sold.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example

Woot! Looks like Atlus is bring over that surgical operation game. I can't wait to operate on those hurted hearts.

I'm interested in these. I'm not saying I'll buy a DS for any of them, but I am interested.

Atari, Inc.
? Atari Classics (depending on what these so called classics are)

Atlus USA
? Caduceus
? Snowboard Kids DS

Capcom Entertainment, Inc.
? Mega Man Battle Network
? Viewtiful Joe

Hudson Soft Co., Ltd.
? Bomberman

Koei Co., Ltd.
? Dynasty Warriors (working title)

Konami Digital Entertainment
? Boktai (working title)
? Castlevania (working title)
? Survival Kids (working title)
? Vandal Hearts (working titles)

Namco Hometek Inc.
? New Mr. Driller (working title)
? Pac 'n Roll (working title)
? Pac-Pix (working title)

SEGA of America, Inc.
? Sonic DS (working title)

Square Enix Co., Ltd.
? A new story of Secret of Mana
? A new story of Slime Morimori Dragon Quest
? Dragon Quest Monsters series
? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series

Telegames, Inc.
? Ultimate Brain Games
? Ultimate Card Games
? Ultimate Pocket Games

Ubisoft Entertainment
? Rayman

Kon Tiki

Banned
Electronic Arts
? GoldenEye

N64 port? OMG WTF?

hehe they should of announced this before the console ones. It would of been madness. Then even madder when they found out its just EA trash.

pdk27

I'm assuming Goldeneye is a port of the new game EA is coming out with but how cool would the REAL Goldeneye be.

NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!NINTENDO WINS!

who's the daddy?

JC10001 said:
Woot! Looks like Atlus is bring over that surgical operation game. I can't wait to operate on those hurted hearts.

I'm interested in these. I'm not saying I'll buy a DS for any of them, but I am interested.

Atari, Inc.
? Atari Classics (depending on what these so called classics are)

Atari is the king of trackball arcade games. So I guess we'll see what kind of commitment they have. If these games have a virual trackball like they should, it'll definetely be the best consumer released compilation ever.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's not a bad list...but there is hardly anything unique sounding on there. I would hope that some developers would try some truly original ideas out...

Deg

Banned
dark10x said:
That's not a bad list...but there is hardly anything unique sounding on there. I would hope that some developers would try some truly original ideas out...

Thats because they are franchises :p

Summitsoft Corporation
? Organizer Plus

Hmm. I bet we'll see more stuff along those lines.

Totakeke

Indeed, quite a disappointing list for Nintendo DS, but that's only if all those games are like their predecessors.

Here's hoping that every of those new iterations of popular franchises will have some new unique gameplay that uses DS's capabilities.

Seiously, what are the odds of it being the real Goldeneye? Nintendo and EA are kind of chummy and I'd imagine both would make a decent profit from such an adventure. Map editor using the touchscreen would be nice as well. :)

dark10x

Deg said:
Thats because they are franchises :p

That's the problem, though...

They seem to be treating the DS like a normal console/handheld...but it clearly IS NOT. Considering that many of these titles will also exist, in another form, on other systems...I don't believe that any of those devs will put a lot of thought into making unique DS games. Obviously, we should wait until we see more of these games in action...but at this time, it just seems like they are wasting the potential the system offers and using its unique input method as a way to control and existing type of game.

I'm just not so sure that a lot of companies are willing to come up with truly unique applications for the hardware.

gahig-banana.gif

Kon Tiki

Banned
dark10x said:

They seem to be treating the DS like a normal console/handheld...but it clearly IS NOT. Considering that many of these titles will also exist, in another form, on other systems...I don't believe that any of those devs will put a lot of thought into making unique DS games. Obviously, we should wait until we see more of these games in action...but at this time, it just seems like they are wasting the potential the system offers and using its unique input method as a way to control and existing type of game.

I'm just not so sure that a lot of companies are willing to come up with truly unique applications for the hardware.

Did you honestly expect anything unique and original from EA? I am serious.

I basically agree with dark. The DS has been touted as a breath of fresh air on console ground, but yet the list, is pretty much what I would've expected from any new Nintendo handheld. Nothing suprising, very few new titles. Of course it's a very preliminary opinion, but then again, this list is not making me say "Well this sure'll top the psp's game list in terms of originality".

Society said:
Did you honestly expect anything unique and original from EA? I am serious.

Exactly. If this thing is gonna be a purchase for me, it's gonna be the Nintendo titles (Big shock) and things like Namco's Pac-Man titles and Sega's Project Rub (which I'm still hoping is Super Monkey Ball).

And WTF. 3 months till release and we still don't really know jack about the line-up. Get off the snide, Nintendo. A press release ain't what the people are looking for.

6.8 said:
Where is teh innovation?

Honestly, does anyone really expect even half of the first year-games on the system to use the DS' unique interface options in a way that would seem to justify their DS incarnation? I don't think so. Even Nintendo has a hard time coming up with solid examples of why DS could kick ass...at least, IMO. Not that I'm doubting that there will be great things to come out of this, but really...innovation cannot be so easily put forth from all developers by just providing different interfaces. I think we'll probably see plenty of DS versions of exisiting gametypes with some mandatory DS functionality for things that don't really benefit from them. I have a bad feeling that many see this as a GBA 2 stopgap.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
To all those screaming about lack of innovation... when were you invited to play these titles? Do they not use the stylus, support wireless multiplayer, or use both screens in an interesting way? Also, I'd like to know what's so ordinary about Caduceus, Pac-Pix, Project Rub, and the like. And what do these unnamed games have in store for us?

Thanks in advance for the education.

Deg

Banned
dark10x said:

They seem to be treating the DS like a normal console/handheld...but it clearly IS NOT.

So you've seen how these games will play? [insert rolleyes]

Kon Tiki

Banned
Then again, from the other side of the fence. Never has Nintendo been so threatened in the handheld market before. Some beloved handheld franchises might appear on a rival system. Nintendo needs, in a sense, to show what franchises it has.

A very difficult situation.

dark10x

MightyHedgehog said:
Honestly, does anyone really expect even half of the first year-games on the system to use the DS' unique interface options in a way that would seem to justify their DS incarnation? I don't think so. Even Nintendo has a hard time coming up with solid examples of why DS could kick ass...at least, IMO. Not that I'm doubting that there will be great things to come out of this, but really...innovation cannot be so easily put forth from all developers by just providing different interfaces. I think we'll probably see plenty of DS versions of exisiting gametypes with some mandatory DS functionality for things that don't really benefit from them. I have a bad feeling that many see this as a GBA 2 stopgap.

You're right...

A lot of the justification for DS was that you could have inventory or maps on the other screen while you play! That's a terrible waste of the technology IMO and is exactly what Nintendo showed the most of. There were certainly some cool uses of the technology, though...but not many.

Now, the problem is that they NEED to have unique games during the first year. With the PSP coming up behind the DS, Nintendo needs to have some REALLY good games that actually use the unique abilities of the system. Obviously, most of these 3rd party titles aren't going to do it. When you think about it, the extra hardware in the DS does not even make SENSE for many of those games.

So you've seen how these games will play?

I already noted that I had not and that it was possibly too early to judge, but that doesn't mean I can't be skeptical. I mean, come on...look at the facts. A lot of those titles are based on an existing franchise, which means they are working on a version of many of those games for all available platforms. Do you really think a DS version would be so mechanically different as to justify itself? Really, though, how many of those titles (the concepts of them) do you REALLY think would benefit from the extra technology the DS brings to the table?

It just seems as though those companies are not opening their minds to the system and are just pumping out the titles that they would release on ANY new system.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Eh, not really many new games that we haven't known, but still a great list! Can't wait to get a NDS.

Kon Tiki

Banned
nubbe said:
like what?
Dragon Warrior, Metal Gear, any and all FPS. Capcom Fighters, Tekken.

Ya not really 'handheld' franchises. I just meant the market might split in two. Some ont he fence GBA developers might shift to Sony know that they do not have to deal with Nintendo.

nubbe

Society said:

Ya not really 'handheld' franchises. I just meant the market might split in two.
The Playstation market will definitely split in two

Society said:

Ya not really 'handheld' franchises. I just meant the market might split in two. Some ont he fence GBA developers might shift to Sony know that they do not have to deal with Nintendo.

I think you're being more a tad paranoid here.

Any SquareEnix title
Nintendo already has Squareenix onboard and that alone will sell DSs like nothing. The japanese love their titles and pokemon and both factors will make the DS sell like hotcake. Hell they even have FFCC on the DS and on this system; via WIFI, it will finally make sense. Not on the gba.. on the ds. You get the game as it is meant to be played. One screen for the stats, one screen for gameplay. Flawless design. Perfected.

here we go
CAPCOM fighters. You think capcom won't whore out their fighters

MGS
PSp has the edge here. The game is practically made for PSP (models already ready).. etc. I would actually go that bit further and say that Nintendo has a greater chance of scoring this franchise from sony in the long term.

Tekken
is already multiplatfrom and even appeared on GBA.

FPS
Metroid Prime DS proves that Fps can be done on the DS. Hell they are even made on the GBA. It will look better on the PSP but no one's going to NOT produce titles for the DS for that reason. It will all come down to installed base; and I think Nintendo will give them plenty of reasons to make them.

NINTENDO really can't lose. 1st party magic + titles with great third party support (I'll like to know what the nay-sayers think of the PSP titles cause they ain't that much greater) That said, Nintendo has fantastic artists / technicians in the 2d arena, their games look great, play great.. What experience does Sony have in 2d? 3d yes but if you want to play PS2 ports go ahead. The Ds will be 2d friendly and it will be 3d friendly. It's game friendly

Chittagong

Gold Member
TheGreenGiant said:
NINTENDO really can't lose. 1st party magic + titles with great third party support (I'll like to know what the nay-sayers think of the PSP titles cause they ain't that much greater) That said, Nintendo has fantastic artists / technicians in the 2d arena, their games look great, play great.. What experience does Sony have in 2d? 3d yes but if you want to play PS2 ports go ahead. The Ds will be 2d friendly and it will be 3d friendly. It's game friendly

thumb_NintendoFanboyGoggles.jpg

Kon Tiki

Banned
Any SquareEnix title

TGS.

Tekken
is already multi platform and even appeared on GBA.

Tekken is not multiplatfrom (on consoles). The appearance on GBA is exactly my point, when the next handheld tekken comes about, do you think NAMCO is going to make one for DS and one for PSP?

dark10x

Greengiant, once again...look at those titles. What's the point of releasing standard games on the DS? I know you are simply pointing out the possibility of DS recieving support of the same caliber...but is that what we really want? They need drop the franchise mentality and start creating unique games...

The DS doesn't exactly seem like a good conventional system. If given the choice, I would never want to play versions of other games on the DS if they were to play basically the same.

I really think this is simply going to require a VERY different perspective on the design of games.

Well for the people throwing the fanboy goggles around, at least with the DS there's fucking hope. With the other handheld we know there's gonna be nothing but sequels and ports featuring identical gameplay that would be far superior on its big brother.

Deg

Banned
Greengiant, once again...look at those titles. What's the point of releasing standard games on the DS? I know you are simply pointing out the possibility of DS recieving support of the same caliber...but is that what we really want? They need drop the franchise mentality and start creating unique games...

Because of course new ideas HAVE NEVER been implemented in an existing franchise.

Top Bottom