• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

Adnor

Banned
Ok, the é in my Windows Username was the reason why the game didn't want to create a .cfg file. I created a new, temp windows account, opened the game there and it created a .cfg file, then I just copy pasted that one to my real Windows account. I doubt I will be able to modify the options in-game, but at least I will be able to modify that .cfg.

GavinUK86

I was just about to post saying that it seems like SSR doesn't work at all unless you toggle it in-game.
Toggling SSR while the game is running seems to break it though.
Some rooms look fine after toggling it, others are completely black with lots of artifacting.

That's a pretty good example. It's really neat when it works, and it makes a huge difference to the overall presentation of the game IMO. By the way, GPU usage goes up quite a bit in some rooms when SSR is properly enabled. 4K60 on a single 1080ti may no longer be possible once SSR is patched.

I thought they looked different, but I may be mistaken.:p

You know what, you're right.

The first pic here is everything on. I loaded my save and didn't touch anything.
9ek4FEN.jpg

And this pic is turning SSR and SSDO off, applying it, then turning them back on to full resolution.

You can see the difference. You can also tell somethings changed with the GPU usage shot up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game doesn't save my graphic options, and I can't find a game.cfg file where it's supposed to be.

I'm fairly certain the special character in your Windows account name is the problem as Arkanius had the same issue, even when forcibly running the game as an admin, and his account name is André. He chose to work around it by downloading someone else's configuration file to the folder and editing it; if you'd like to do the same, here's mine (graphics settings as per the screenshots in the OP).

Edit: D'oh, never mind. Didn't see your post above.

mazillion

The sound mixing is awful! or bugged out? One half of this room has a blaring alarm going off and (in the same room) 5 feet away it's total silence. It's happening all the time too :( certain ambient sounds will just abruptly cut out at certain distances from the source area. It needs to be way more gradual than this..

Really enjoying it otherwise

Edit: here is an example of the crappy audio mixing that came up right after I posted this:
https://streamable.com/jl1is

Adnor

Banned
I'm fairly certain the special character in your Windows account name is the problem as Arkanius had the same issue, even when forcibly running the game as an admin, and his account name is André. He chose to work around it by downloading someone else's configuration file to the folder and editing it; if you'd like to do the same, here's mine (graphics settings as per the screenshots in the OP).

Yeah, already fixed it, it was the special character.

Arkanius

The first pic here is everything on. I loaded my save and didn't touch anything.

And this pic is turning SSR and SSDO off, applying it, then turning them back on to full resolution.

You can see the difference. You can also tell somethings changed with the GPU usage shot up.

There goes my idea that the game was super well optimized.
We are basically playing with SSR off :(

JaseC

I was just thinking about that as I typed that post out ha. Thanks. I'm sure you can unlock it in the ini if need be.

Yeah, setting sys_maxFPS to 0 in C:\Users\[account name]\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey\game.cfg should do the trick. Emphasis on "should" as I've not tried it yet, which is why it's not in the OP.

Yep, that's it. Thanks for the comparison. Going from 43% to 60% is like an extra 40%. CPU usage also went up by about 18%.

There goes my idea that the game was super well optimized.
We are basically playing with SSR off :(

My thoughts, exactly!

i5-2500k/1070, Max settings, 1080p getting 60FPS+ at all times. Really runs great and looks pretty nice too. The art style has that great Dishonored vibe that I love. Plus that Best Buy exclusive Steelbook 😩🙏❤👌

Mechazawa

This is probably something that's not relevant to a lot of people, but this is literally the only game I've ever played where playing in Windowed/Borderless mode straight up resets my Nvidia color settings.

The fuck is this program doing.

I mentioned this earlier, but seeing as more people have the game I'll post it again.

I haven't downgraded my drivers yet, but on the latest nvidia drivers I have no shadows or ssr on anything. I can't test out other methods because I have been refunded.

CamelCloud

Have you used GeForce Experience to "optimize" the game?

That was the issue, yeah. Thanks. It auto-optimized for some reason, should probably disable it.

Have to say it's running pretty fucking nice at 1080p.

980ti
5820k@3.3
16gb ddr4
850pro+evo

EDIT: I have noticed that Steam Broadcasting can cause a crash when you load into the game after messing with the .cfg file, solved it by simply disabling the feature.

ghostwich

I mentioned this earlier, but seeing as more people have the game I'll post it again.

I haven't downgraded my drivers yet, but on the latest nvidia drivers I have no shadows or ssr on anything. I can't test out other methods because I have been refunded.

I've got the latest drivers and and seem to have no issues. I'll flip SSR on/off to see if it makes a difference.

That was the issue, yeah. Thanks. It auto-optimized for some reason, should probably disable it.

Have to say it's running pretty fucking nice at 1080p.

980ti
5820k@3.3
16gb ddr4
850pro+evo

I reported a bug with this "optimization" and I'm glad I've gotten into the habit of taking file snapshots of my config folders (as well as keybindings).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Total opposite of Dishonored 2 for me. I'm not surprised that this performs better, to be honest; more confined environments, seemingly less character/NPC density. And I do have very high end hardware so I can brute force most performance grievances.

Still, performance here is basically perfect. Too perfect. I'm continuously hitting 144fps+ at 1440p and it's fucking up my Gsync. I need to cap.

ghostwich

Total opposite of Dishonored 2 for me. I'm not surprised that this performs better, to be honest; more confined environments, seemingly less character/NPC density. And I do have very high end hardware so I can brute force most performance grievances.

Still, performance here is basically perfect. Too perfect. I'm continuously hitting 144fps+ at 1440p and it's fucking up my Gsync. I need to cap.

I've actually decided to flip v-sync on. It's not stuttering, but I am finding some bizarre tearing issues even when I get G-sync turning on (144 and lower, my monitor is at 150Hz). I'll experiment some more in the morning, either with the refresh rate, unlocking the game's 144 cap, or, just hard locking a lower rate via RTSS.

GavinUK86

You all wanna make sure you're actually using SSR and SSDO like a couple of us said a few posts up. They aren't actually on unless you toggle them off then on again while in game. My framerates dropped from ~90 to ~60 after. I presume it'll be fixed in the first update.

You all wanna make sure you're actually using SSR and SSDO like a couple of us said a few posts up. They aren't actually on unless you toggle them off then on again while in game. My framerates dropped from ~90 to ~60 after. I presume it'll be fixed in the first update.

The first time I booted up the game, I turned everything on to its max then left it like that thinking everything should be ok. But don't have the game anymore:(. Could pick it up again when on sale though.

I hope they patch this up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, it seems I need to toggle them off then on again each time I boot up the game. Still, the framerate impact isn't major. I mainly get drops when data is streaming, but with SSR/SSDO properly on I'm still looking at 130+fps in almost all (early game, at the hub) situations. It's frequently sitting at 144 and fucking up Gsync.

Ha, I knew something was up with SSR. Didn't think to toggle them off and on while in-game, though. Glad we have a workaround at least.

pa22word

Has anyone tried plugging in generic Cryengine cvars yet to see if they work? The good old handy "r_ChromaticAberration = 0.0" might be useful for people that despise the effect, if the cfg recognizes it.

Also, "r_DrawNearFOV" for viewmodel FOV that people seem to be coveting.

JaseC

Has anyone tried plugging in generic Cryengine cvars yet to see if they work? The good old handy "r_ChromaticAberration = 0.0" might be useful for people that despise the effect, if the cfg recognizes it.

r_ChromaticAberration = 0, r_HDRBloomRatio = 0, r_MotionBlur = 0, r_Sharpening = 0 and r_Supersampling = x (where x is your desired factor) have been confirmed as valid and are in the OP.

Edit: r_DrawNearFOV has been confirmed as non-functional.

pa22word

r_ChromaticAberration = 0, r_HDRBloomRatio = 0, r_MotionBlur = 0, r_Sharpening = 0 and r_Supersampling = x (where x is your desired factor) have been confirmed as valid and are in the OP.

oops, sorry lol

Edit: And yeah, I tried just about everything to juryrig out of the game an ability to force the viewmodel higher. Autoexec with like 20 different naming combos for that DrawNear to include an h in it in some way and nothing =\ Tried binding them all to W and nothing =\

Has anyone tried forcing the console on via cvar? If we can do that we can dump the cvars using the console.

OtisInf

Can somebody else confirm that there is no difference in SSR quality between half and full res options?
I have it set to full-res and when I start the game SSR are off (even tho setting is still on full). I then have to set them to half, apply (at which point they render) and then set to full... but I see no difference in quality. They look pretty low-res / blocky to me.
I have the feeling most of these settings are simply broken. Same with the shadows. You pick 'very high', but the shadows are piss poor, as if the max budget was 256pixels.

Also that this 'release' build is from the pc of a developer called Daniele, is not really assuring me things went smooth over there. It also differs a lot from the CryEngine sourcecode on GitHub, as if this is either a very old build or they changed a lot on the engine...

oops, sorry lol

Edit: And yeah, I tried just about everything to juryrig out of the game an ability to force the viewmodel higher. Autoexec with like 20 different naming combos for that DrawNear to include an h in it in some way and nothing =\ Tried binding them all to W and nothing =\

Has anyone tried forcing the console on via cvar? If we can do that we can dump the cvars using the console.
You can't enable the console via cvars, it's compiled out of the game exe

(edit) nope shadows seem to appear 'working' as in: they have to look like this, as 'low' is even more fugly. Switching on SSR indeed makes all the difference, this is a terribly botched release.

pa22word

Also that this 'release' build is from the pc of a developer called Daniele, is not really assuring me things went smooth over there.

Well, I took that as it being the game's original codename while they were still figuring out what to call it. Lots of games do that.

You can't enable the console via cvars, it's compiled out of the game exe

Ah, drats. Hopefully someone figures it out eventually or arkane gives us the cvar to do it ourselves.

EDIT: Well, I can confirm that upping the shadows and texture VRAM streaming pool via cvars (e_ShadowsPoolSize, r_TexturesStreamPoolSize) does indeed work. Anyone having issues with pop in should be happy. Also I tried upping the e_shadowresscale cvar up to 80 and it didn't appear to do anything.

Arkanius

I always have Afterburner capping my framerate at 140 hz (just to be safe) so Gsync is always on and perfect

pa22word

Here's the results from the shadow res multiplier test:

Stock:

Shadow res multiplier @ 80:

Not really seeing much a difference. The latter is a little darker, maybe? But that might be due to slightly different angling on the shots.

EDIT: Just noticed the FPS is a lot lower too. Something worked I guess, lol

Here's what my autoexec.cfg looks like:

Code:
e_GI = On
r_ChromaticAberration = 0.0
r_Sharpening = 0
e_ParticlesObjectCollisions = Dynamic
r_SilhouettePOM = on
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 4096
e_ShadowsResScale = 80
e_ShadowsPoolSize = 4096

I wonder what caused the massive FPS hit?

Sky87

My .cfg manual changes gets removed every time i start the game or change the SSR setting ingame. I guess i need to have the file set to read only? But then how will i be able to force SSR on by disabling/enabling it?

pa22word

My .cfg manual changes gets removed every time i start the game or change the SSR setting ingame. I guess i need to have the file set to read only? But then how will i be able to force SSR on by disabling/enabling it?

Just plug it all into an autoexec.cfg and put in in the game's directory instead of using the cfg given in the saved games location.

Has anyone seen any good, maybe textless Steam grid images around? The official one still has the release date on it and seems more like marketing material.

OtisInf

Here's what my autoexec.cfg looks like:

Code:
e_GI = On
r_ChromaticAberration = 0.0
r_Sharpening = 0
e_ParticlesObjectCollisions = Dynamic
r_SilhouettePOM = on
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 4096
e_ShadowsResScale = 80
e_ShadowsPoolSize = 4096

I wonder what caused the massive FPS hit?
Hmm, when I use these I lose all shadows in the opening level :D Something is seriously broken here.

(edit) when I add supersampling I get the shadow removal with those settings. Removing the supersampling var shows the shadows again.

The sound mixing is awful! or bugged out? One half of this room has a blaring alarm going off and (in the same room) 5 feet away it's total silence. It's happening all the time too :( certain ambient sounds will just abruptly cut out at certain distances from the source area. It needs to be way more gradual than this..

Really enjoying it otherwise

Edit: here is an example of the crappy audio mixing that came up right after I posted this:
https://streamable.com/jl1is

It's weird how Bethesda has just the worst sound mixing. Like I assumed it might be an id tech issue, but here it is in Prey. Wth, Bethesda....

nOoblet16

Which file is it that people are modifying ? I've seen people say game.cfg and autoexec.cfg...so which one is it ?

damn. But it actually worked? Interesting. I assume you put those commands in the bespoken game.cfg everyone has been editing then?

You could also try setting:
Code:
r_HDRVignetting
r_ColorGrading
both to 0 to see if that gets rid of 'em
I'll try this today to see if it works but wouldn't r_ColorGrading affect everything rather than just the one that happens when the vignetting happens ?

BlizzKrut

Banned
I'm not very knowleadgeble on the types of windows a game can have but does borderless windowed have a bigger impact on performance than fullscreen?

Top Bottom