• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey review thread

How does this compare to Dishonored 2? Im a huge fan of that
There's a noticeable step up in density of detail in Prey vs D2 (which itself was a noticeable step up from D1 in this regard). The abilities/weapons given to the player in Prey are easily the best and most interesting ones that Arkane has given (most have a number of use cases, both in combat and for exploration, with more uses for old abilities being revealed as the game progresses), but unlike Dishonored there's no blink or dagger, so that definitely changes the "feel" of traversal and especially combat.

The story is maybe a liiiitle bit better than in D2 (I much preferred the story in D1 and its DLC).

Cleve

So what I'm reading in this thread really makes me feel like I need to play this game. I was a huge System Shock/SS2/Deus Ex fan that completely bounced off the Bioshock games for being corridor shooters with an attempt at a "deep" plot while capturing nothing of the gameplay or tension that made the SS games enjoyable. Is this the game for me, Gaf?

So what I'm reading in this thread really makes me feel like I need to play this game. I was a huge System Shock/SS2/Deus Ex fan that completely bounced off the Bioshock games for being corridor shooters with an attempt at a "deep" plot while capturing nothing of the gameplay or tension that made the SS games enjoyable. Is this the game for me, Gaf?
Couldn't agree more about Bioshock 1. Loved it at the time, but in retrospect there is so little freedom in that game compared to real Immersive Sims. I tried going back to play it and I just couldn't do it.

Yes, Prey is exactly what you want. Also play Dishonored if you haven't already.

This is what you hoped Bioshock to be, at least in terms of being a System Shock successor

SomTervo

Yep, just reached an area of Prey where I literally thought

"... This feels like Bioshock 2. It feels like where System Shock should have, or could have, gone"

Game is honestly insanely good, I hope the reviews and sales have legs

Skulldead

yes it is

SomTervo

giphy.gif

I don't understand how they arrived at that. I couldn't care less about the score they gave it. That's their prerogative but that sentence is a big "huh?" I've been going all over the place in this game. I've found multiple routes for areas I both wanted to get into and needed to get into. I've been able to play the way I've wanted to play for some 20 hours so far.

Jesus, yeah, that's insane.

Right now I'm in a mid-game location and there are literally four huge branches in front of me. Two of which seem to progress the main story, one of which progresses a big sidequest, and two of which will lead around to the same later location.

How the heck is there no choice? This is madness.

If legit feels like all the reviewers rushed the game. Perhaps that's the true flaw in Bethesda's no-early-review-copy policy.

Lol, agree with that.

ISee

I felt the same about bioshock tbh. Cool setting and visuals, but it is 100% a shooter, imo.

Prey is different and it is closer to system shock 2 than any other AAA game.
The space station is a huge labyrinth like dungeon, you manage skills and resources, you'll loot everything, exploration is key to success, the atmosphere is great, there are many ways to approach a situation, good level design and every part of the station has its own little twist.

On the negative side: the hacking mini game is awful, especially with k&m and some enemies are dmg sponges. There are also too many enemies at some points, which is annoying.

But overall? Yes, I'm pretty sure you'll like it. If you can, pick up the pc version.

giphy.gif

I don't understand how they arrived at that. I couldn't care less about the score they gave it. That's their prerogative but that sentence is a big "huh?" I've been going all over the place in this game. I've found multiple routes for areas I both wanted to get into and needed to get into. I've been able to play the way I've wanted to play for some 20 hours so far.

Jesus, yeah, that's insane.

Right now I'm in a mid-game location and there are literally four huge branches in front of me. Two of which seem to progress the main story, one of which progresses a big sidequest, and two of which will lead around to the same later location.

How the heck is there no choice? This is madness.

If legit feels like all the reviewers rushed the game. Perhaps that's the true flaw in Bethesda's no-early-review-copy policy.
Pretty sure they mean gameplay/playstyle wise, not traversal. There's a paragraph about how the game presents you with powers but discourages the player from using them

Which is nonsense. Based on the OT, no powers/aggressive strategic shooter is as viable as powers-focused/almost no guns. The review feels the consequences for using powers, and the narrative, means the games only wants players to play one way

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"... This feels like Bioshock 2. It feels like where System Shock should have, or could have, gone"

Pretty much. There's an undertone of moderisation. And it's arguably lacking punchy individuality, more an amalgamation of concepts expressed in numerous other titles over the last decade and then some, including Arkane's own. But for anybody who felt BioShock wasn't the spiritual successor to System Shock that they hoped it to be, even if they still enjoyed it, Prey steers so much closer to its obvious influential material that it highlights how regressive BioShock actually was.

Alongside the game design, I'm also glad Prey gives us another decently high budget scifi horror themed game to experience. The whole immersion simulator thing, RPG-lite game systems, survivialism on a space station. It's filling a void.

Rock Paper Shotgun's review equivalent is up, with a fair strong recommendation.

However, for me, it's.. pretty worrying / a turnoff when discussing the ending (with no spoilers):

RPS said:
Which is all bloody marvellous, until the end. Oh good grief. Prey’s ending is utterly, utterly terrible. I clearly shan’t even start to hint at spoiling it, but it’s atrocious, no matter which of a few barely varying finales you see. It’s abrupt, crass, and genuinely embarrassing, and even worse, madly dismissive. Literally a five second cutscene, before a post credits sequence that will have you wanting to write to your local politician to complain. (And the credits, about ten minutes long, are unskippable. I strongly recommend finding ‘steamapps\common\Prey\GameSDK\Videos’ and changing ‘Credits.bk2’ to ‘Credits.bk2.bak’, until they patch in the option to flipping skip seeing who made the best tea at the Australian offices of Bethesda.)

A bad ending doesn’t spoil a fantastic game, and Prey is absolutely that. But it really does change your overarching feelings when you’re trying to sum it up. Especially when it leaves so many threads dangling. It’s a real shame, and I expect we’ll eventually learn horror stories about the game being rushed out without anything close to the ending they were hoping for. But I don’t want to let that fill more than two paragraphs of this review, because it’s such a minor part of the dozens of hours of entertainment preceding it.

SomTervo

Pretty sure they mean gameplay/playstyle wise, not traversal. There's a paragraph about how the game presents you with powers but discourages the player from using them

Which is nonsense. Based on the OT, no powers/aggressive strategic shooter is as viable as powers-focused/almost no guns. The review feels the consequences for using powers, and the narrative, means the games only wants players to play one way

Ah, I see. Makes slightly more sense but still isn't true. Combat/powers are definitely the easiest way forward but it's more than possible to play all stealth or all hacking etc.

Would happily try a playthrough like that after I finish my first 'no rules' playthrough.

Rock Paper Shotgun's review equivalent is up, with a fair strong recommendation.

However, for me, it's.. pretty worrying / a turnoff when discussing the ending (with no spoilers):

Hmm, some people have said the ending was fantastic.

That said, Arkane are really, really bad at endings. That '5 second cinematic then credits' is exactly how they handled Dishonored 1 and 2. They prefer to let the gameplay do the talking right up to the last moment then when the story has to do the talking they just try to shove it out the door.

Finished my review of the game over on USgamer. Combat never quite came together for me, but otherwise I loved it. It feels derivative at times, but it's rare to get the games it's derived from, so I'm down with it.

Wow, why have I never heard of this game. When was it announced? I thought it was that cyberpunk with aliens one that got cancelled but this looks amazing.

System shock vibes with interesting gunplay. Whats the game length with side quests?

Wow, why have I never heard of this game. When was it announced? I thought it was that cyberpunk with aliens one that got cancelled but this looks amazing.

System shock vibes with interesting gunplay. Whats the game length with side quests?

It took me 21 hours with all the sidequest i found (quite a lot) minus the "treasure hunts".

Like the another poster said, Arkane is not the best when it comes to endings. They are serviceable, but can be lacking for some. Other than that they are really good at most if not everything leading up to the end. That said, some people in the OT really enjoyed it, so it might be a case by case thing.

jdmonmou

Finished my review of the game over on USgamer. Combat never quite came together for me, but otherwise I loved it. It feels derivative at times, but it's rare to get the games it's derived from, so I'm down with it.
Good review. I enjoyed the demo, but with a 14 hr play time I'm going to either rent or wait for a sale.

Reading the summary of some of the more negative reviews I can't say I agree at all. This is yet another great example of how I enjoy a game immensely but where not every single review is as glowing. Along with Zelda this has a huge chance of being a GOTY candidate.

Good review. I enjoyed the demo, but with a 14 hr play time I'm going to either rent or wait for a sale.

I am at 23 hours now and from what I've read here I still have a lot to see and do. It really depends on how you play the game. Arkane really encourages exploration and if you explore every single room and read all there is to read you can spend many many hours in this game. I am exactly that kind of gamer.

If you go solely for the main story, ignoring all side stuff which is a big waste in my book, it wouldn't surprise me if you can finish it in about 10 hours.

And still, 14 hours isn't bad at all anyway.

Anung

Un Rama

Play time is variable as hell considering you dictate your own style of play, pace and objectives.

I'm currently sitting at 19 hours of playtime and still have bucket loads of side quests and story to go.

shiba5

Play time is variable as hell considering you dictate your own style of play, pace and objectives.

I'm currently sitting at 19 hours of playtime and still have bucket loads of side quests and story to go.

I was at 28 hours and still had side quests I didn't finish.

Probably. I'll get it again once it's cheaper.

But man, these opening hours are rough.
Have you played one of these types of games before? There always seems to be a bit of an acclimation period when someone jumps into an Immersive Sim for the first time. There's so much freedom, you may not even realize you have it.

Ushay

Wow this was definitely not on my radar, now it is :)

If it's anything like system shock I'll be happy with it.

You guys make it sound like the darksiders of the sim genre. I'm trying to hold off starting the game for just a few more days D:

2 of my favorite games this gen Soma and Alien Isolation, i just love exploring space stations. c:

Cleve

Yes, Prey is exactly what you want. Also play Dishonored if you haven't already.

This is what you hoped Bioshock to be, at least in terms of being a System Shock successor

yes it is

Prey is different and it is closer to system shock 2 than any other AAA game.
The space station
But overall? Yes, I'm pretty sure you'll like it. If you can, pick up the pc version.

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll definitely pick it up on PC soon.

IISANDERII

Does that make those earlier reviews invalid or something? .
I'm most concerned with who's prioritizing what. Somebody who needs the clicks so they rush out an early review vs. Someone who takes their time for much more consideration and deliberation.
Avoiding preorders isn't enough; I still remember the excellent day one scores Halo Master Chief got.

AHA-Lambda

I'm amazed this is getting such low scores from quite a few outlets. I expected a much higher MC certainly :/

It's an outstanding game and I'll be amazed if it doesn't end up being my GOTY

Azzanadra

How would you guys say this ranks amongst the immersive sim ladder? I love DEUS Ex and Bioshock but have a weird relationship with Dishonored, I have played both Dishonoured games but I don't look back at then fondly, probably due to tedious rune hunting and a paper thin story that just gets you to go from level to level.

I am at 23 hours now and from what I've read here I still have a lot to see and do. It really depends on how you play the game. Arkane really encourages exploration and if you explore every single room and read all there is to read you can spend many many hours in this game. I am exactly that kind of gamer.

I love looking for all the hidden stuff it's great. They definitely reward exploration.

How would you guys say this ranks amongst the immersive sim ladder? I love DEUS Ex and Bioshock but have a weird relationship with Dishonored, I have played both Dishonoured games but I don't look back at then fondly, probably due to tedious rune hunting and a paper thin story that just gets you to go from level to level.

I feel the same way about the games you listed. Deus Ex and Bioshock are among my favourites of all time, but have never managed to beat Dishonoured despite starting it 3 times. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it just doesn't click for me.

Prey is currently my GOTY. I didn't see this coming at all. I bought a Switch just for Zelda and its amazing. I'm a Persona fan and really enjoy 5. Horizon is a great game. Nioh, Yakuza 0, Nier, Re7 in VR and For Honour - had (and still am having) a blast with them all. It's been a fantastic year for gaming.

Prey was barely on my radar. I almost didn't buy it since the backlog struggle is real this year. In fact I basically forgot it was even coming out until I saw the Gaf thread regarding the demo.

It's always hard to rank a game relative to it's genre soon after release, but as far as your question about the immersive sim ladder I think it will end up top rung for me, among Deus Ex, System Shock 2 and Stalker. Time may change my opinion, it's way too soon to say honestly. I haven't even finished it yet (somewhere around 20-25hrs in atm) - but that's where I'm feeling it will end up right now. I'm loving this game.

Top Bottom