• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 hits million-unit target in Korea; Hold 90% of console market

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4974

Rob Fahey 16:13 18/10/2004

SCEK reaches target set mid-2004 thanks to local software initiatives.

The PlayStation 2 has hit a million unit sales in South Korea, according to the latest figures from Sony Computer Entertainment Korea - beating targets set earlier this year by SCEK president Hiroyuki Kunugita.

Kunugita told the press back in July that he hoped that the firm would reach a million units sold by the end of 2004, thanks to initiatives encouraging the development of locally relevant software in the market.

This week's announcement of the millionth unit sold means that SCEK has beaten this target by over two months - and will further extend Sony's lead in the console market in South Korea, where the most recent figures show it holding around 90 per cent market share.

However, the market for consoles in the country is still relatively small, with the majority of the games industry in the territory being focused on the PC platform, and specifically PC online titles including massively multiplayer games and strategy games.

Sony has attempted to win over gamers in Korea by converting popular PC titles - including locally created RPG Magna Carta - to the PlayStation 2, a strategy which appears to have borne fruit for the firm.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
LOL. Doesn't the Xbox only have 2 countries with a million units+ sold, the US & the UK.

Everywhere else ... NOT

Spin that. :D
They might be past a million in Canada now also.

jarrod said:
They might be past a million in Canada now also.

As of June 30th.
-----------------------------------------------
North America: 10.1 million units
Europe: 3.9 million units
Asia Pacific: 1.5 million units

XBox NPD as of June 30th = 9.1 Million units.

Given that there HAD to be some decent number of units in the channel in the US, I doubt that the canucks have reached a million yet. With those numbers, I'd be surprised for them to have more than 500k installed base in Canada.

Hard to tell...

jarrod

Banned
A few months back (March maybe?) though we found out that both GC & Xbox were sitting around 800k installed base in Canada (with PS2 around 2.5 million iirc). Anyone else remember this?

Jumpman

Wow, 1 million units for a videogame system in South Korea is quite impressive. Congrats to Sony. :)

Does anyone know how many people live in South Korea? I hope the market continues to grow there. It would be huge for the industry if they could tap into the large population in south Asia, this milestone is a good start.

Matt

Jumpman said:
Does anyone know how many people live in South Korea? I hope the market continues to grow there. It would be huge for the industry if they could tap into the large population in south Asia, this milestone is a good start.
48 and a half.

Top Bottom