• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
RedNumberFive said:
Wow dude, you're really on the offensive today, aren't you? It's crazy how you don't realize that someone might be upset that a feature that they specifically bought the PS3 for is getting cut after the fact. The man showed that he has specific reasons for using the PS3 as a Linux box, and you're just being outright rude to him. Buying a second PS3 because the firmware update is dicking him over? Give me a break.

well dude,
nobody is taking this feature away from him, but hes fast at bitching around.(he can refuse to update, and as it sounded hes not much of a ps3 gamer)
fact is, he got a cell computer at a 10th of the price ibm sold the blades back then...
now that sony has reasons, yes preventing the system against hackers is important to sony, to get rid of therOS
he should be the first to say, "well it was a good ride, but they have to do this..".
sony is making buissness with the ps3, they just want to do what they can to keep going and to please shareholders - some of gaf act like god damn 5 year olds.
this guy should know better.

maybe its also because i hate fluid dynamics with a passion.

edit: i may come off as an ass, but i just want to tell people that this move (while being bad somehow) has its right, its usual business you know...

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
RedNumberFive said:
Personally, I don't used my CD player (aux input FTW), so I think it's fine that they are removed from all of your vehicles. CD players are not secure, because you can play burnt CDRs. I think it is a necessary security precaution, and I am willing to give up my freedoms so that the RIAA gets their fair due. If you MUST have one, just buy a discman. Simple as that!
:lol :lol :lol

Awesome

Brofist

RedNumberFive said:
Personally, I don't used my CD player (aux input FTW), so I think it's fine that they are removed from all of your vehicles. CD players are not secure, because you can play burnt CDRs. I think it is a necessary security precaution, and I am willing to give up my freedoms so that the RIAA gets their fair due. If you MUST have one, just buy a discman. Simple as that!

win :lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
sankt-Antonio said:
well dude,
nobody is taking this feature away from him, but hes fast at bitching around.
fact is, he got a cell computer at a 10th of the price ibm sold the blades back then...
now that sony has reasons, yes preventing the system against hackers is important to sony, to get rid of therOS
he should be the first to say, "well it was a good ride, but they have to do this..".
sony is making buissness with the ps3, they just want to do what they can to keep going and to please shareholders - some of gaf act like god damn 5 year olds.

This doesn't matter. At all.

Not even a little.

sankt-Antonio said:
well dude,
nobody is taking this feature away from him, but hes fast at bitching around.

Your post makes absolutely no sense. First off, you're saying that he should be punished because he purchased a cheap tool to help with his work. Then when a new firmware makes that tool useless, he should just happily move on. I'm sorry, I just can't follow your insane logic.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
hauton said:
Crux of argument: "Sony advertised that it's a computer, that I can run Linux!"

NO. Crux of argument: "Sony advertised that it has these specific features, documented them in the manuals, promoted them at developer conferences and sold the hardware based on them among the other capabilities of the system."

You're trying to introduce ambiguity where there is none. The hardware was sold as having this feature explicitly. Removing that makes it less worthwhile for some people.

obonicus

Paraclete said:
I'd love to see this thread if it was regarding Honda and removing AC/CD player/power windows. Those aren't features anyone uses amirite?

This whole thread's like a 101 on fallacies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So let's get this straight...Linux is to PS3 what AC and CD players are to cars?

Really?

This is more like Honda putting another little car inside their car for free, and then taking it out because it compromises the security of the first car. OtherOS is the option to install and run a second entirely seperate platform that isn't under Sony's control.

It's sad it's going, it sucks, but so do a lot of these analogies!

edit - and FWIW, people citing Live's EULA wrt the removal of Xbox support; there's also a EULA every time you update your PS3 firmware that has the same 'get-out' clause about loss of functionality:

3. SERVICES AND UPDATES

Some services may change your current settings, cause a loss of data or content, or cause some loss of functionality. It is recommended that you regularly back up any data on the hard disk that is of a type that can be backed up.

Many would say these EULAs aren't worth a button though so you could legally still have wiggle room in a challenge. Perhaps. Depending on the judge.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
iapetus said:
NO. Crux of argument: "Sony advertised that it has these specific features, documented them in the manuals, promoted them at developer conferences and sold the hardware based on them among the other capabilities of the system."
Don't forget that as recently as last month Sony has said "Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the "Install Other OS" feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases."

Dragon

Banned
What do you think Sony should have done instead of removing this feature?

Invest time/money in fixing whatever vulnerabilities exist? I just remember how this went down with the PSP and what a mess all those firmware updates were.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
RedNumberFive said:
Your post makes absolutely no sense. First off, you're saying that he should be punished because he purchased a cheap tool to help with his work. Then when a new firmware makes that tool useless, he should just happily move on. I'm sorry, I just can't follow your insane logic.

where did i say he should be punished?
i say be happy to have it at all, god damn it...

and guys, he can and will be able to work on his ps3...

HE WANTS STUDENTS TO WORK ON PS3!!! hes the mad man

Crisco said:
God, only gaf would make such a big deal out of something so trivial. It doesn't even have damn thing to do with gaming. Comparing it to removing DVD or PS2 BC via firmware update? Are you high? The difference is people actually use that shit, unlike OtherOS.

Look, I realize you Loonix dudes are adverse to spending money which is why you use that shit OS in the first place. However, if using OtherOS is that important to you, Sony has a $300 solution for you that will allow to continue playing PS3 games
and using OtherOS. This isn't an issue and no one will care about it in a weeks time. Class action lawsuits, are you people fucking serious?:lol

+1

Calcaneus

This sucks for people who used Linux on PS3. There doesn't seem to be any good reason for this.

I personally never used it, but I can imagine how pissed off I would be if they cut off some other feature that I used all the time, like if I couldn't stream stuff from my PC to the PS3.

Crisco

Banned
God, only gaf would make such a big deal out of something so trivial. It doesn't even have damn thing to do with gaming. Comparing it to removing DVD or PS2 BC via firmware update? Are you high? The difference is people actually use that shit, unlike OtherOS.

Look, I realize you Loonix dudes are adverse to spending money which is why you use that shit OS in the first place. However, if using OtherOS is that important to you, Sony has a $300 solution for you that will allow to continue playing PS3 games
and using OtherOS. This isn't an issue and no one will care about it in a weeks time. Class action lawsuits, are you people fucking serious?:lol

racerx

Banned
gofreak said:
So let's get this straight...Linux is to PS3 what AC and CD players are to cars?

Really?

This is more like Honda putting another little car inside their car for free, and then taking it out because it compromises the security of the first car. OtherOS is the option to install and run a second entirely seperate platform that isn't under Sony's control.

Haha. yeah, that analogy was so bad I feel for him, He sure is going have a tough time life if his brain wired like that.

Enjoying the overreaction, yeah I guess for those that use Linux you now have to make a choice but I've seen nothing worthwhile come out of that scene for 4 whole years.

The "what if they come for our PS2 backwards compat next?!" arguments are pure straw men.

Geohot made it very public how he was hacking the PS3 and through what measures. Sony's had the pure joy of being able to levy "NO PIRACY ON OUR SYSTEM" to third partys all these years, and its unsurprising they want that to continue.

I'm not going to praise Sony for this, obviously, but I would also say this is the most publicity and interest the PS3 Linux scene has had in years. Use what time it has left to show why anyone should care about losing it.

Drastic

Just as Sony were beginning to win me over, too.

For the record, one of the first things I did on my PS3 was install Yellow Dog Linux. Because I could.

I used it rarely, but when I needed it, it was there. I have 5 active PCs in my house, and none on my home theater.

One of the things I liked about the PS3 (before purchase) was Internet browsing without yet another PC in my home and without yet another input setup on my HT. (PS3 replaced upscaling DVD player input.)

When Sony's crap browser can't do something, I just fire up FF in YDL and problem solved.

I used it as recently as less than a month ago.

I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I do own all 3 latest gen systems. I have close to 100 titles for all three combined, about 4-5 of those are PS3. This kind of move will keep it that way, just as I was seriously beginning to consider moving to PS3 for multi-plats.

Cheerilee

hauton said:
Crux of argument: "Sony advertised that it's a computer, that I can run Linux!"
It's an entertainment system. It plays its games, it plays its Blu-Rays.
You seem to think that the argument that "OtherOS is an essential component of PS3 that Sony must deliver upon" will stand up in court. Good luck with that.
PS3. It only does games and Blu-Ray.*

* Until they decide it's no longer a ____ and doesn't do either games or Blu-Ray.

God forbid some hacker finds a way to run pirated PS3 games through the PS2 boot process, then Sony would disable backward compatibility. Or someone hacks it through the movie player and they disable Blu-Ray playback.

Are these bad analogies? No. They're built-in, day 1 features. The only difference is that they get used more than Linux.

Crisco said:

Taking features away is cool - and holding vital features hostage to substantiate taking them away is even cooler - as long as "people don't use the features" being removed.

Less functionality is great! More restrictions is great! Thanks, SCEx!

hauton

Good to see some people being pragmatic and dispelling a lot of the sensationalist "U GON GET SOOD" overreactions.

Hey, it's never good to have less features. But hackers like Geohot forced Sony's hand. And the legal foothold people are claiming to stake their claim on is faulty at best. Too bad, so sad.

The funny thing is that the bigger the uproar this causes, the less inclined ANY console manufacturer will be to consider Linux in any future console. You guys are really self-defeating yourselves into a massive pyrrhic victory, no?

obonicus

Calcaneus said:
I personally never used it, but I can imagine how pissed off I would be if they cut off some other feature that I used all the time, like if I couldn't stream stuff from my PC to the PS3.

No doubt, for those people it sucks hard. In general it's a shitty move. Interestingly, you have a remarkable number of people expressing what seems like actual anger over this. Personally, I'm pretty surprised PS3 Linux had so many adherents.

Dynoro

gofreak said:

Really?

A closer analogy would be Honda doing a recall that removed Bluetooth Voice Control on cars over 2 years old. You can choose to do the update or not but if you don't then your Sat Nav stops working. The two systems are not directly linked to the consumer but they are to the manufacturer.

If Honda did this would people start talking class action lawsuits; I would have thought so

racerx said:
Haha. yeah, that analogy was so bad I feel for him, He sure is going have a tough time life if his brain wired like that.

I love how you toss insults without explaining WHY you think it's such a bad analogy. Surely someone such as yourself, with such a superbly wired brain, should have no problem with the task. Bottom line - I paid for a PS3 which advertised OtherOS, and I paid for a car that included a CD player. If either of them were taken away, after the fact, by the manufacturer, I'm within my right to be pissed.

j-wood

Drastic said:
Just as Sony were beginning to win me over, too.

For the record, one of the first things I did on my PS3 was install Yellow Dog Linux. Because I could.

I used it rarely, but when I needed it, it was there. I have 5 active PCs in my house, and none on my home theater.

One of the things I liked about the PS3 (before purchase) was Internet browsing without yet another PC in my home and without yet another input setup on my HT. (PS3 replaced upscaling DVD player input.)

When Sony's crap browser can't do something, I just fire up FF in YDL and problem solved.

I used it as recently as less than a month ago.

I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I do own all 3 latest gen systems. I have close to 100 titles for all three combined, about 4-5 of those are PS3. This kind of move will keep it that way, just as I was seriously beginning to consider moving to PS3 for multi-plats.

Not that i'm supporting removing the feature, but seriously dude? The fact that you no longer can install linux is going to keep you from getting PS3 games? Which, by the way, have no connection to linux whatsoever?

Seriously?

Somnid

Dynoro said:
And if said services are a selling point and feature of the console (like OtherOS) then they are obliged to provide them. If a PS3 game or Blu-Ray comes out requiring this firmware or later then it becomes an issue.

Absolutely not. They never said you are guaranteed PSN service otherwise you could sue them if you didn't have a broadband connection or if PSN ever went down for a fraction of a second. Likewise with Blu-ray they don't guarantee anything because the Blu-ray spec can evolve (older Blu-ray players do not support all features of newer movies for example).

Your PS3 will behave exactly as it did out of the box with no internet connection so you will have no loss of functionality. You just don't get the after-market support. You can understand that if there were a lawsuit to go through it would set some ugly precedents. I could using the same logic to sue Evil Lore for removing vBulletin search because it was my expectation I would have that by joining NeoGaf and stupid things like that. They can't make you upgrade but you can't sue them for deprecating features in any sane legal system.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Leondexter said:
God forbid some hacker finds a way to run pirated PS3 games through the PS2 boot process, then Sony would disable backward compatibility. Or someone hacks it through the movie player and they disable Blu-Ray playback.

Are these bad analogies? No. They're built-in, day 1 features. The only difference is that they get used more than Linux.

No, the difference is that these features are part of sony's own platform and code that they have total control over and can patch.

Again, when there was a vulnerability in the image viewer software, what did Sony do? Did they pull out the image viewing feature?

Your FUD is bullshit.

People drawing analogies with removing BC or Blu-ray or games playing capability are talking nonsense. You're talking about Sony's own platform that they can control and patch to a very granular level vs allowing a platform they have NO control over (or control limited to defining its sandbox) to be run on their system.

They are technically completely different problems, and vulnerabilities in each are addressed totally differently.

I think it's few who are defending the removal of this feature, or welcoming it, but arguing against these inferences about other functionality and its status is totally fair game.

j-wood said:
Not that i'm supporting removing the feature, but seriously dude? The fact that you no longer can install linux is going to keep you from getting PS3 games? Which, by the way, have no connection to linux whatsoever?

Seriously?

Well if he decides to keep Linux, he won't be able to play ANY new games that require a newer firmware.

This makes me wonder if an exploit is found in the web browser will Sony remove the web browser? I mean the browser DOES crash a lot. It can't be that stable right?

Paraclete

Banned
racerx said:
:lol I was only using what I found on the official PS3 forum regarding this issue. Now, if you really want to discuss it:

What if Sony was removing BC from all the fat PS3 that could use it? It's a feature just like the ability to install Linux(both were promised ON the box). How many would bitch then?

j-wood

Why, in all that is holy, did some of you say, I want a PS3 just because it has linux.

I'm not a programming but do you really notice that much of a huge difference using linux with the cell? I'm surprised it was even optimized enough to do that.

From my viewpoint, as cheap as it is to build a pc, I would have done that and installed linux, instead of paying $600 for a PLAYSTATION 3, a video game console, to run linux.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Paraclete said:
What if Sony was removing BC from all the fat PS3 that could use it? It's a feature just like the ability to install Linux(both were promised ON the box). How many would bitch then?
Oh brother. Somnid/gofreak already covered that point well, so no need to repeat it...

racerx

Banned
RedNumberFive said:
I love how you toss insults without explaining WHY you think it's such a bad analogy. Surely someone such as yourself, with such a superbly wired brain, should have no problem with the task. Bottom line - I paid for a PS3 which advertised OtherOS, and I paid for a car that included a CD player. If either of them were taken away, after the fact, by the manufacturer, I'm within my right to be pissed.

ok, well, I'm sorry. That was an insult and it was unnecessary. But ac/cd analogy doesn't hold up.

The car manufacturer in your case is forcing you to remove the AC/CD while Sony isn't forcing you to update.

j-wood

Paraclete said:
:lol I was only using what I found on the official PS3 forum regarding this issue. Now, if you really want to discuss it:

I don't think you can stand on that argument. You're missing a clear cut connection right there. First and foremost, the PS3 is a video game console. Playing PS2 games via BC has a direct connection to video gaming.

Linux does not. In any way.

BigBadShamoo said:
This makes me wonder if an exploit is found in the web browser will Sony remove the web browser? I mean the browser DOES crash a lot. It can't be that stable right?

Well I don't use it, so let's add it to the list of things to toss. We want our PS3 to be more secure right?

Paraclete

Banned
racerx said:
ok, well, I'm sorry. That was an insult and it was unnecessary. But ac/cd analogy doesn't hold up.

The car manufacturer in your case is forcing you to remove the AC/CD while Sony isn't forcing you to update.
If you want to watch new blu-rays/play games on line/access psn/etc...yea, yea they are.

Drastic

j-wood said:

Seriously?

The reasons I have considered moving platform choice for multi-plats (when I own all systems) is exactly because of this type of move. No need to change when stunts are being played by both sides.

racerx said:

Fair enough, I can see your point. I guess it's more like a car manufacturer having me either remove my CD player OR having my AC suddenly not work. Either way, I'm getting shafted.

Ranger X

Mudkips said:
Anyone defending this is a fucking moron.

Well, you guys cry loud for what it means in overall. I understand you guys exist but you're like one person in million and it won't change anything for everybody else.
You'd be a fucking moron faster than me if you can't understand why Sony is doing this and how it will NOT affect an extremely large majority of users --- therefore not being a big deal.

Top Bottom