• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is outselling Xbox Series Consoles at a rate of about 4 to 1 the last 15 months

Brucey

I think more troubling than what rate the PS5 is outselling the XS consoles, it's at what rate their sales are slowing down.

At this rate they may not break 2M console sales in the whole of next year.

It's doing end of life numbers. And I don't just mean end of life numbers. I mean numbers a console puts up when it's successor is on the market.
Yup can prob wrap it up at a little over 30 million. Channel won't accept any more units especially outside US so stuffing is out.

Hrk69

Gold Member

Will Ferrell Comedy GIF by filmeditor

It’s quite funny how Xbox sells so well at the start of a generation (same thing happened with Xbox One) but then sales dwindle and PlayStation just leaves it in the dust.

I think a lot of this comes down to Xbox appealing more to hardcore gamers who buy consoles at launch, where as PlayStation appeals to that huge mainstream.

All I can say is…

aiHeO63.jpeg

Seriously, the PlayStation brand has an appeal that Xbox can’t get near to. They have that cool image like Apple or Pepsi.

The neckbeards don’t understand this

Last edited:

Kvally

I think more troubling than what rate the PS5 is outselling the XS consoles, it's at what rate their sales are slowing down.

It's doing end of life numbers. And I don't just mean end of life numbers. I mean numbers a console puts up when it's successor is on the market.
This is true. But PS5 sales have started to dramatically drop as well. So it's gonna be a nice injection to have the PS5 Pro out this fall.

jm89

That is why you preorder from Sony next week. They require a PSN account to order. They will probably limit it also.
Never underestimate the effort the scalpers will go through. They probably have dozens of PSN accounts and credit cards ready to go. Probably working together to get around the address limits.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

I think 20M would be max with price cuts and things like that down the road.

I think it can do 15M+
Sony can't even make price cuts to the regular PS5, so I don't see that happening any soon for Pro.

But one point in Pro's favor is: I can see this gen getting games until 2030~2032 easily. So if someone decide to get a Pro in two or three years, still will have a lot to enjoy.

Last edited:

Kvally

Define dramatically.

adverb

1. in a way that relates to plays or the theater; in or as a play:
    The author's choice of words may imply that his text is to be read aloud or acted out dramatically.
  2. in a way characteristic of or appropriate to the theater, especially in involving conflict, intense emotion, or exaggerated speech or action:
    The speaker was quite a showman, first crouching behind the lectern, then rising up dramatically to demonstrate the rapid progress of some nations.
  3. in a way that is typical of a play in form or structure:
    The film is dramatically structured—not in its narrative form, but in the way it focuses on the faces, bodies, and voices of specific performers.
  4. in a striking way; with a striking effect or to a striking degree:
    During Hurricane Sandy, mobile internet usage spiked dramatically as people went online to get answers.
    Her dark hat and scarf dramatically set off her pale and delicate features.

XXL

Except cross-platform games look and run better on PS5 than Series X more often than not. That's when developers bother putting out an Xbox version at all.
The PS5 Pro is going to 100% have the best console versions of Xbox games as well and will be better than 90% of PCs running their games.

For example....Indiana Jones should be 4K 60fps on PS5 Pro.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
adverb

1. in a way that relates to plays or the theater; in or as a play:
    The author's choice of words may imply that his text is to be read aloud or acted out dramatically.
  2. in a way characteristic of or appropriate to the theater, especially in involving conflict, intense emotion, or exaggerated speech or action:
    The speaker was quite a showman, first crouching behind the lectern, then rising up dramatically to demonstrate the rapid progress of some nations.
  3. in a way that is typical of a play in form or structure:
    The film is dramatically structured—not in its narrative form, but in the way it focuses on the faces, bodies, and voices of specific performers.
  4. in a striking way; with a striking effect or to a striking degree:
    During Hurricane Sandy, mobile internet usage spiked dramatically as people went online to get answers.
    Her dark hat and scarf dramatically set off her pale and delicate features.
Drama Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

SweetTooth

Gold Member
It’s quite funny how Xbox sells so well at the start of a generation (same thing happened with Xbox One) but then sales dwindle and PlayStation just leaves it in the dust.

I think a lot of this comes down to Xbox appealing to more to hardcore gamers who buy consoles at launch, where as PlayStation appeals to that huge mainstream.

All I can say is…

aiHeO63.jpeg

Seriously, the PlayStation brand has an appeal that Xbox can’t get near to. They have that cool image like Apple or Pepsi.

The neckbeards don’t understand this

People forget that PS5 was so supply constrained for 1 and half year. That helped Xbox get some lost sales from Sony

Last edited:

XXL

Sony can't even make price cuts to the regular PS5, so I don't see that happening any soon for Pro.

But one point in Pro's favor is: I can see this gen getting games until 2030~2032 easily. So if someone decide to get a Pro in two or three years, still will have a lot to enjoy.
This is why I said lifetimes sales of the PS5 Pro, it's not unreachable at all.

Codeblew

Never underestimate the effort the scalpers will go through. They probably have dozens of PSN accounts and credit cards ready to go. Probably working together to get around the address limits.
Maybe. If they were smart, they would prioritize on recent account activity and/or $$ spent. It's in their best interest to get them in the hands of their core active playerbase.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was just talking about how the sales have declined, haven't met Sony's forecasts and now Mat says Sony and MS can't continue like this.

"Sony and Microsoft can't allow these declines to continue at these rates until 2027 or 2028 (or whenever the next devices and/or services arrive)"- Mat Piscatella, Circana
Sony doesn't seem too concerned if they're dropping a $700 box. Unless they have an ace up their sleeve.

DrDryRub

Neo Member
The series X is such a great console and gamepass has been wonderful for me and everyone I know. The UI is down right terrible, the pS5 has a better overall UI. The controller which was once great feels like it's made out of fisher price plastic but i still prefer it to the dual sense.

Overall both consoles have been disappointing this gen.

I'd love to read the story of how the mindset going into this gen was to the mindset of how it's ending as it couldn't be any more different. No idea how launching a traditional home console makes any sense going forward yet by all accounts they have something cooking.

We do get an idea of their mindset from the FTC trial. They were very confident.

Kacho

Gold Member
I was just talking about how the sales have declined, haven't met Sony's forecasts and now Mat says Sony and MS can't continue like this.

"Sony and Microsoft can't allow these declines to continue at these rates until 2027 or 2028 (or whenever the next devices and/or services arrive)"- Mat Piscatella, Circana
Interesting. When was this said?

We still on track for 2026 adamsapple adamsapple ?
3RC0bd.gif

rm082e

This. And what's even more concerning is the leak from MLID early this year that MS had just signed a contract with AMD to develop their next console. Sony mentioned during the ABK trial they were looking to put out the PS6 in '27 or '28, but they started working on it late in 2022. If MS didn't start working on their next box until more recently, are they really expecting to get it out much sooner (like '26 or even next holiday)? That would be...odd.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The XBONE and Series X/S are just straight-up bad consoles
Both Series S/X are beautifully designed machines with distinct Braun design and very efficient cooling solutions. While I sold my SX two years ago, I still think that it was a good machine. The controller is outdated, yes, but it’s far from bad.

Just like it was with many failed systems, it’s a great hardware underwhelmed by the mismanagement and weak first party output.

This. And what's even more concerning is the leak from MLID early this year that MS had just signed a contract with AMD to develop their next console. Sony mentioned during the ABK trial they were looking to put out the PS6 in '27 or '28, but they started working on it late in 2022. If MS didn't start working on their next box until more recently, are they really expecting to get it out much sooner (like '26 or even next holiday)? That would be...odd.

Even if they put out a new console in 2026, what's the point?

They are not selling it anyway

People will get the PS5 Pro or wait for PS6

nordique

The XBONE and Series X/S are just straight-up bad consoles with little or underwhelming exclusive games

would be insane if Microsoft went out with one of the most dogshit consoles ever
Yet MS blames everyone but their own strategy / people at the top in charge of the system

Sony has barely done anything this gen relative to last and they still destroying the competition lol

(I enjoy my Series X though but MS shot themselves in both feet this gen)

Last edited:

kaizenkko

Even if they put out a new console in 2026, what's the point?

They are not selling it anyway

People will get the PS5 Pro or wait for PS6
I don't understand why people think that Microsoft will actualy launch another console. Their current system is falling is sales, their are launching games on their main competitor and marketing cloud streaming devices over consoles. It's Microsoft, make nonsense decisions is their expertise, but I can't see any signs of them making another console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom