• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is outselling Xbox Series Consoles at a rate of about 4 to 1 the last 15 months

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I don't understand why people think that Microsoft will actualy launch another console. Their current system is falling is sales, their are launching games on their main competitor and marketing cloud streaming devices over consoles. It's Microsoft, make nonsense decisions is their expertise, but I can't see any signs of them making another console.
It seems like people here think that making console is like buying morning coffee, they don't realize its a huge investment in R&D (billions) with tangled supply chain and massive negotiations that take years!

MS Gaming is more than $70 BILLION in the RED. They need to recoup this investment asap! not make the hole even bigger!

Last edited:
Now this gives us a better perspective. This is why they are changing their strategy and likely won't do anymore a "most powerful" home console.

The best way to play GTA6 in the future will be PS5 Pro then eventually PC then Steam Deck 2 then Microsoft XDeck (tentative name of the next Microsoft handheld).

Astray

cEEXgED.png

S5xChYS.png

We See You Welcome Back GIF by Regal
He had a car accident after the ABK deal closed and now can only communicate in reactions.

Don't drink and drive.

I don't understand why people think that Microsoft will actualy launch another console. Their current system is falling is sales, their are launching games on their main competitor and marketing cloud streaming devices over consoles. It's Microsoft, make nonsense decisions is their expertise, but I can't see any signs of them making another console.

Because there’s a loyal fan base of about 30 million people who would buy it.

It’s never going to be on the same planet as PlayStation or Nintendo, but for f**ks sake Microsoft, don’t piss that up the wall too.

clarky

Gold Member
Now this gives us a better perspective. This is why they are changing their strategy and likely won't do anymore a "most powerful" home console.

The best way to play GTA6 in the future will be PS5 Pro then eventually PC then Steam Deck 2 then Microsoft XDeck (tentative name of the next Microsoft handheld).
What in the shitting shit are you talking about.

Kvally

They will, because they still sell them. If they end up with 50-60 million this gen, in addition to all the games they sell on Xbox as well as PC, no reason to not have an Xbox. I would rather have more options than less.

kaizenkko

Because there’s a loyal fan base of about 30 million people who would buy it.

It’s never going to be on the same planet as PlayStation or Nintendo, but for f**ks sake Microsoft, don’t piss that up the wall too.
Xbox One also was a "loyal" fanbase of almost 60 million, but I don't think Series will ever come close to this number. A new Xbox console would probably sell worse than Series.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Honestly the PS5 Pro could end up outselling the Series X.

For the sake of argument, If we say half of the sales of the Xbox sales are Series X, that would ultimately put Series X at about 20M, if they can manage to sell 35-40M consoles (40M is hard to believe at this point).

I can easily see the PS5 Pro selling 17.5-20M units by the end of it life time.
Kobe Bryant Yes GIF

No way dude LOL! The PS5 Pro will sell around 10M. 15M would be a miracle.

This is why consoles/platforms NEED exclusives. Series X/S are actually good consoles, but the problem is, they lack an identity. They mostly have the same library as the PS5 and PC, so if you have one or both of those platforms, there are very few compelling reasons to invest into the XBOX ecosystem.

rm082e

Even if they put out a new console in 2026, what's the point?

They are not selling it anyway

People will get the PS5 Pro or wait for PS6

Oh, I agree completely. It doesn't seem like they are capable of significant change, so I think they're stuck on their current path which likely ends with them becoming a third party publisher.

There are plenty of signs that they're working on their next generation (whatever that is), but there's nothing to stop them from changing their minds before it launches if the numbers signal that's the right move. Just like movie and game studios can kill projects that are nearly done, MS could pull chalks and give up on their next generation at any time.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If the PS5 was easy to get in the first two years, then MS might be struggling to hit 20 million units. We are headed into Wii U territory here.

They will, because they still sell them. If they end up with 50-60 million this gen, in addition to all the games they sell on Xbox as well as PC, no reason to not have an Xbox. I would rather have more options than less.
With the way things are going, that would mean that Sony would have sold like 140-180M PS5s ([20,30]x4 + 60), which is probably not realistic.

Not to mention, I don't know how many of them are being used. Seems like a lot of people swapped out their Series S for PlayStation.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
If the PS5 was easy to get in the first two years, then MS might be struggling to hit 20 million units. We are headed into Wii U territory here.
People would have to return 15 million Xbox consoles to be in Wii U territory. This is more like N64 territory.

Reactions: m14

diffusionx

Gold Member
People would have to return 15 million Xbox consoles to be in Wii U territory. This is more like N64 territory.
The only reason the number is as high as it is is because the series s was the only console you could find for 2 years. Were that not the case, nobody would have bought this thing. It's a total flop of a system that for some reason people feel the need to pretend it's not.

Kacho

Gold Member
Do people still believe they're going to continue making consoles and this handheld that would cost millions in RND?
No one really knows. Phil said they were committed to next generation hardware. That could change at any moment if Amy Hood or Nutella says nah.

GametimeUK

Damn. I loved the Series X around the launch years. Xbox Live converting to gamepass, backwards compatability , VRR, auto HDR, FPS Boost, Dev Mode...

Then we had Halo (I enjoyed it), Gears Hivebusters, Forza Horizon 5. The premise of being able to buy on PC and have cross progress etc. It had potential to be a decent little eco system.

Recently aside from Hifi Rush (which ended up on PS5 anyway) there's not much the console has offered me. It's just a backwards compatability device at this point.

It's a shame, but the PS5 is flat out a better product in my opinion.

Zacfoldor

Neo account looking to poke people
I'm not the guy but I'm a neo account. I have poked but only organically. I wish only the best to my Neogaf brethren.

Seeing how moderation goes around here, the "get a reaction out of them" accounts won't last long. I kinda hope mine does though but I'm not gonna lie, I can get kinda excited and post some silly shit. I try my best to keep that under control. The saddest part is I'm a full grown ass man.

For the record I preordered 2 XSX one for me and one for my brother. Also have a 3080 and 5800x setup that kinda collects dust. I'm SO partial to my PS5 and Switch though, so it kinda it like I don't play the other ones at all....nothing is wrong with them though, they work just fine.

The one issue I did have with XSX was actually related to Halo Infinite. Kept crashing at the start. Other than that it's been tip top.

Do people still believe they're going to continue making consoles and this handheld that would cost millions in RND?

Yes and they kind of have to. Most of their GP subs are on console. If they just stop making the hardware they are giving up a lot of their GP subs. I do think they will stop making the console eventually but I don't think they are ready to do that yet.

Yes and they kind of have to. Most of their GP subs are on console. If they just stop making the hardware they are giving up a lot of their GP subs. I do think they will stop making the console eventually but I don't think they are ready to do that yet.

They are pushing for PC GamePass more than console GamePass at this point

See the "Standard" tier debacle

They are pushing for PC GamePass more than console GamePass at this point

See the "Standard" tier debacle
Of course because that's the only place where they can actually grow since console has stalled. They can't just turn around now and give up the 20+mil subs and hope those people don't just move to playstation.

LMJ

I don't... was it just made by somebody who hates South Park, but clearly kept the Randy hair and stache details lol

lol wrong thread
Anyway I think MS is going to try to "pretend" the console ship isn't sinking publicly, all while building a reputation as the best rental service on the PC (Gamepass)

I think MS will become a godly publisher if only for the amount of IPs they own, as far as the hardware I imagine they will keep the Xbox name due to branding, but likely branch out with multiple prebuilt SKus in the PC race

Last edited:
Of course because that's the only place where they can actually grow since console has stalled. They can't just turn around now and give up the 20+mil subs and hope those people don't just move to playstation.

So they keep making consoles just to keep the one they have? That doesn't make them money

Just move Gamepass to Android TVs and Firestick then.... It' much cheaper to mantain

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Imagine for the last ten years you went to work every day and failed. You went to work and took a wet dump on the conference room floor. That is how it feels to work at 343 Studios. Legend has it they're still employed to this day.

Xbox One also was a "loyal" fanbase of almost 60 million, but I don't think Series will ever come close to this number. A new Xbox console would probably sell worse than Series.
Yes absolutely. They have zero momentum. They could gain momentum in the handheld space. If they can efficiently embed their store into a handheld and this handheld is at as powerful as XSS (with more memory, not doing the same mistake twice in a row hopefully), it should find customers. People who want a powerful box will buy a PC anyways, it has become the ultimate Xbox Series X and they can't beat high end PCs.

It would also make is simpler for developers if they only have to target one device instead of 2 this time. If Microsoft try to make a powerful home console AND a handheld, both will fail.

yazenov

The Xbox Series did decent numbers at the begins during its 2 years from launch due to the shortages of the PS5. It sales went downhill literally once the PS5 was readily available in the market.

Xbox basically was the only bitch in the pub available, and the dudes had no other alternatives :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr.Phoenix

Now people will tell you they will early-start next-gen!

Like that would accomplish anything
Well, technically they could. And I low-key believe they will. Just not in the sense we think... If they released a handheld hybrid thingy next year or in 226... that would count as their next-gen console.
This is true. But PS5 sales have started to dramatically drop as well. So it's gonna be a nice injection to have the PS5 Pro out this fall.
PS5 sales drop is understandable, there has been no price drops. Its unprecedented that a console in its 4th year has just not seen a price drop, but ha even gotten more expensive. But furthermore, its sales are still respectable, its still on track to do like 15-16M this year. That's plenty respectable especially when considering this is what counts as a slow year for it.

With GTA6 likely coming next year, and maybe even the first official price drops... it would have a very very very good year next year.

So they keep making consoles just to keep the one they have? That doesn't make them money

Just move Gamepass to Android TVs and Firestick then.... It' much cheaper to mantain

My guess is whatever they have planned next will be their chance at slowly transitioning people to their new ecosystem\PC.

Sure move people to an ecosystem where they don't even have the right to stream COD games or any future ABK titles. Then they will give even more power to a struggling\starving Ubisoft who will rake them over the coals in order to sell them the cloud rights.

XXL

The weird thing is the PS5 also has very few compelling reasons for ownership as far as exclusive games, it has sold really well on brand reputation though
Strange thing to say in 2024.

Most of the GOTYs this year are Playstation exclusive or Console Exclusive.

Astro Bot - PS5 exclusive
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - PS5 exclusive
Helldivers 2 - Console Exclusive
Wu Kong - Console Exclusive

But hey....
K-Pop GIF

Kvally

Well, technically they could. And I low-key believe they will. Just not in the sense we think... If they released a handheld hybrid thingy next year or in 226... that would count as their next-gen console.

PS5 sales drop is understandable, there has been no price drops. Its unprecedented that a console in its 4th year has just not seen a price drop, but ha even gotten more expensive. But furthermore, its sales are still respectable, its still on track to do like 15-16M this year. That's plenty respectable especially when considering this is what counts as a slow year for it.

With GTA6 likely coming next year, and maybe even the first official price drops... it would have a very very very good year next year.
Agreed. I think both consoles are going to benefit nicely from that drop. College Football did that to them too.

Radical_3d

What I really, REALLY don’t understand is: how Xbox allowed 343 to make another Halo after 4 and Guardians? In the end they nailed the gameplay but the open world is abysmal and lacks the epic of a classic campaign. All because classic campaigns are a thing of the past and Ubi games are the future. Meanwhile Outlaws is not going to break even and Space “dat 360 game” Marine 2 is selling like cupcakes. This whole industry management is an idiocracy.

Top Bottom