• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

BlackTron

I'm willing to bet that Sony support guy just used his own deductive reasoning/common sense to assert that the disc drive from one console won't fit in another one, and in fact the drive is compatible with all versions.

Disc drives need online activation and will be paired to a specific console. You cannot take the disc drive (that's been activated) from one console and move it to another one. That is what it means. If it is new in box, you are good to go.

From what I understand, you simply need to be connected to the Internet to register the drive to the console. It does not matter whether it has already been registered to a different console or not.

ZoukGalaxy

I will recalibrate NOTHING, PRO is useless when PS5 is barely exploited at its full potential with all these LAZY devs and I will just do better: VOTE WITH MY WALLET

Donald Duck Disney GIF

*edit* oups sorry people, wrong thread, I leave it anyway since my post is not too much off topic.

Last edited:
This guys point on, just buy a gaming PC at this point. I can not understand why people woudn't do that. Play every game possible, including Xbox games and third parties with graphics toggles so you can run every game how you want.
I tried a gaming PC. The couch use is just not as convenient as it is with console. None of my friends having gaming PCs. I like to play with my friends not by myself. You can't play every game possible, it's close but it's not there yet. PC didn't even get EA college football literally the #1 selling game so far this year and PC doesn't have it. My god getting into a party from your PC while your in a game is a nightmare. Thankfully Steam recently added the feature where you can instantly share video that console has but what if I'm not on steam?

Then lets talking about the online games. Well if I want to use a controller I'm now at a disadvantage on all MP games. I'm not even going to get into the online hacking that is just disgusting on PC. Rainbow six is insane with cheaters which is shame because PC is the best place to play that game it feels so good with M/KB but I played every day and every single day my rank was being adjusted as soon as I logged in because of hackers on my team or the other team.

Last edited:
Are you even listening to what I said? The misleading part is that you are paying for the additional power that can only be utilized when and how the developers see fit. Which with the PS4 Pro resulted in games even with Boost mode running exactly the same as they did with the base PS4. If someone upgraded from a 4060 to a 4080 and some games still performed the same on the 4080 as their 4060 that would be a big problem at least for PC gamers.
Lol this clown. You dont even understand what scam or misleading means. Why would anyone listen to you lmao.

saintjules

Gold Member
When they put Bloodborne 4k/60 exclusive on the Pro, I want to see how many will cave in. I can see Sony being Predatory like that.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Mr.Phoenix

When they put Bloodborne 4k/60 exclusive on the Pro, I want to see how many will cave in. I can see Sony being Predatory like that.
Meh everyone knows Bloodborne remake is a PS6 reveal "one more thing" launch title.
They should charge more. Many of you will happily pay it. Too many people need to have the latest gadgets, no matter the cost.
I simply can't understand how we live in a world where it's justified to spend $500 - $1500 on a GPU alone, but somehow spending $700 on a console that has a CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage, PSU, a controller, and even a HDMI cable lol... is such an atrocity. A console mind you, whose GPU is equivalent to a PC GPU worth $450- $600.

The crazy thing is that GAF is the one place I expected people to be more reasonable or realistic like you know... we get it right?

How wrong I was.

Little Mac

Gold Member
We need more info, more impressions, more games showcasing the technology. I feel like Sony created more questions than answers in the Pro reveal. The showcase and TGS can't come soon enough.

GametimeUK

I understand people having an issue with the pricing or lack of a stand and disc drive etc. It's fun to dunk on Sony at the moment and the memes have been brilliant.

However, the people making fun of the device saying the image looks the essentially the same and you have to squint to see the difference are flat out wrong.

Take the price out of it, even with youtibe compression etc you can see an upgrade, and we should all know that it will look better running natively on your display.

Reactions: Isa

ManaByte

Take the price out of it, even with youtibe compression etc you can see an upgrade, and we should all know that it will look better running natively on your display.

I watched the uncompressed 4K presentation on my TV, the same TV I'd use the console on, and while you can see a difference it's very marginal and not enough to convince most people to spend SIX HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS.

Duchess

I'm going to get a Pro, but I'm not going to rush to do so. The goal is to get one late 2025, so I've got 14 months to scrape together the cash.

£700 for the base machine, plus £100 for the drive, and £30 for the fucking stand ... £830. So, I need to save £60 a month, and that's only if I don't trade in my PS5.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member

Some very good points in that. Colin was right imo. For each person their situation, and the economy is indeed rough. Also something people are forgetting is that its a niche luxury item, not the PS6. If the improvements don't do it for some people, then great, they just saved 700+ dollars or equivalent. But for those that want it and have the means then there is a product for them.

And Colin's reference to console pricing over the decades also rings true, inflation is insane and its crazy to think what people were paying for the Atari 2600 up till the PS2! That does NOT even out. Plus so many purchases come from late adopters in a systems life, who get the console and games far cheaper than us day 1 types.

saintjules

Gold Member
Some very good points in that. Colin was right imo. For each person their situation, and the economy is indeed rough. Also something people are forgetting is that its a niche luxury item, not the PS6. If the improvements don't do it for some people, then great, they just saved 700+ dollars or equivalent. But for those that want it and have the means then there is a product for them.

And Colin's reference to console pricing over the decades also rings true, inflation is insane and its crazy to think what people were paying for the Atari 2600 up till the PS2! That does NOT even out. Plus so many purchases come from late adopters in a systems life, who get the console and games far cheaper than us day 1 types.

Agreed. The thing is that in actuality they do want it. It's just out of reach for them. They wouldn't be bickering about the price. It went from why do we need this to why is it so expensive. I swear I've never seen this kind of bickering when new GPU/CPUs come out.

To be fair we haven't seen anything really in terms of what the Pro can do. But once those real world tests come out and more side by side comparisons come out, if they aren't worth the purchase, just don't get it.

I found this interesting article about the improvements added to WMMA RDNA4 compared to RDNA3. They added 8-bit precision, sparse matrix (already there on Nvidia tensor cores) and improved the prefetching and coherency. But most importantly RDNA4 will better use the L1 cache instead of hitting the L2 cache on RDNA3. That's going to be important on PS5 Pro that gets twice more L1 cache but the same amount of L2 cache.

RDNA 4 will improve the efficiency of these while adding instructions that support 8-bit precision, as opposed to just 16-bit precision
A change with RDNA 4 could mean that instead of going through the GPU-wide L2 cache, data could be shared across threads through the L1 cache. Dependent threads would need to be run on the same SE, though in theory, there are still performance gains to be had by an increase in usage of L1 cache.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why i'm hearing people talking about framegen related to pro? Did i missed something?

Isn't pssr just a dlss type of upscaling? Does the pro also have a separatd tech like nvidia framegen?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I simply can't understand how we live in a world where it's justified to spend $500 - $1500 on a GPU alone, but somehow spending $700 on a console that has a CPU, GPU, RAM, Storage, PSU, a controller, and even a HDMI cable lol... is such an atrocity. A console mind you, whose GPU is equivalent to a PC GPU worth $450- $600.

The crazy thing is that GAF is the one place I expected people to be more reasonable or realistic like you know... we get it right?

How wrong I was.
Seriously, where have you been in the past few years? No one was happy with the GTX Titan's price as far back as 2013, but the argument was that it was a prosumer GPU with double-precision performance rivaling or even exceeding that of workstation cards. People lamented the $1000 2080 Ti and its price was mocked. No one liked the 3090 at $1500, and the community was vocal against NVIDIA's price hikes. Same for the $1600 4090.

You're sitting here telling us no one complained about the best consumer GPU going from $700 to $1600 in the span of 5 years? Come on, man. PC gamers just took it without so much as a peep? There was no bitching, no backlash, people were just happy? Tech channels and outlets weren't thrashing NVIDIA for their greed? They weren't recommending us to skip on certain cards because the price wasn't worth it. NVIDIA effectively murdered the value proposition of the 60-series which was traditionally the best and people utterly and rightfully shat on the 3050, 4060, and 4060 Ti.

Y'all need to stop with this false equivalency. "Well, GPUs are getting pricier, you can't complain about consoles getting pricier." The fuck? Of course, we can and do. We spoke against NVIDIA's prices and we are now speaking against Sony's prices. Not that anything will get done, but come on, quit it with this.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You're sitting here telling us no one complained about the best consumer GPU going from $700 to $1600 in the span of 5 years? Come on, man. PC gamers just took it without so much as a peep? There was no bitching, no backlash, people were just happy? Tech channels and outlets weren't thrashing NVIDIA for their greed? They weren't recommending us to skip on certain cards because the price wasn't worth it. NVIDIA effectively murdered the value proposition of the 60-series which was traditionally the best and people utterly and rightfully shat on the 3050, 4060, and 4060 Ti.

Y'all need to stop with this false equivalency. "Well, GPUs are getting pricier, you can't complain about consoles getting pricier." The fuck? Of course, we can and do. We spoke against NVIDIA's prices and we are now speaking against Sony's prices. Not that anything will get done, but come on, quit it with this.
Thats not what I said. I never said no one complained. I say we live in a world where it's justified. I should have also added that over time, people have even come to accept these new prices as the norm.

I just don't see how a "prosumer" console, priced at $700, is such a bad thing when the mass-market version can still be had for $450.

So I get people complaining, but the levels some have taken that to what I do not understand. Some are outright acting like sony is trying to rip people off. Even if they are making $50 -$100 profit on a halo, low volume product... isn't that their right to do so or sensible on their part especially if they are selling the lower end SKU at break-even costs or even at a subsidy?

How is it ok for every other OEM to attach 100%+ markups on their products, but a console OEM (not Nintendo cause those guys are allowed to get away with everything) MAY be adding in a 10-20% markup on one of their two products and people are bringing out pitchforks.

Thats what doesn't make sense to me.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
It will be easier to pre-order from PS Direct, I'm afraid Amazon or Gamestop will get fewer units and be bombarded by scalpers.

At least on PS Direct you have to login with your PSN ID, so less chances of scalpers.
Playstation Direct was my first choice and if I miss it, try my luck with Argos or Currys.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Colin nails this. It's got nothing to do with wages for me. I don't agree with that. What I do agree with is do not pay more than what you think it is worth.

For me it's 650 pounds as an absolute ceiling with the disk drive and stand.

Once I can do that. I'm in. As long as it doesn't take a couple of years as I'll just wait for ps6.

Gaiff

Thats not what I said. I never said no one complained. I say we live in a world where it's justified. I should have also added that over time, people have even come to accept these new prices as the norm.
Not sure what you mean by "justified". No one is happy about GPU prices or the price of the PS5 Pro. We just sorta accepted them.
I just don't see how a "prosumer" console, priced at $700, is such a bad thing when the mass-market version can still be had for $450.
By prosumer I just mean consumer+profesionnal. You know, the Titan could be used both as a gaming card and as a productivity/workstation card and actually make you money. For a lot of people, the $1000 price tag was thus justified since they could make it back.
So I get people complaining, but the levels some have taken that to what I do not understand. Some are outright acting like sony is trying to rip people off. Even if they are making $50 -$100 profit on a halo, low volume product... isn't that their right to do so or sensible on their part especially if they are selling the lower end SKU at break-even costs or even at a subsidy?

How is it ok for every other OEM to attach 100%+ markups on their products, but a console OEM (not Nintendo cause those guys are allowed to get away with everything) MAY be adding in a 10-20% markup on one of their two products and people are bringing out pitchforks.

Thats what doesn't make sense to me.
Come on, everyone says Nintendo hardware is a ripoff. The Switch is a piece of crap and it's what? $300? My point is simply that you act like the PS5 is getting unfair treatment from the consumers. It really isn't. Unlike a 4090, however, it is a mainstream product, not a niche one for the most demanding of enthusiasts. It will get the proportional backlash, especially coming off the back of a system that sold 116 million units and had a $400 Pro version. The PlayStation brand is much more famous than any GPU, so you will hear about it more. People bitch about it being overpriced just like with everything else such as the PS3 or even in the olden days when systems like the Neo Geo CD flopped because of their price tag. It's nothing unusual.

Oh, and not including a disc drive for your $700 "Pro" product is simply mind-bogglingly stupid. I think that might be the single biggest point of contention regarding the PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I honestly think that they've decided to treat this thing as the perfect test of the market.

They still have the ps5 so they can see if this sells close to the og ps4 pro. If it doesn't then they know not to try this kind of pricing again. If people accept it. Welcome to the new norm.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Colin nails this. It's got nothing to do with wages for me. I don't agree with that. What I do agree with is do not pay more than what you think it is worth.

For me it's 650 pounds as an absolute ceiling with the disk drive and stand.

Once I can do that. I'm in. As long as it doesn't take a couple of years as I'll just wait for ps6.
Its only worth what people are willing to pay for it

Mr.Phoenix

Oh, and not including a disc drive for your $700 "Pro" product is simply mind-bogglingly stupid. I think that might be the single biggest point of contention regarding the PS5 Pro.
I can see how you would think that. But I don't... being that if I were in their shoes, I would have done the exact same thing.

But for some context, I do not use physical media. I want it to die a quick death. I however want there to be some discourse on standards on digital stores, and I feel we never will have those conversations and changes until everyone is on board.

Now with that out of the way, If I were Sony, and I am making a high-end version of my console, and also marking up its price by say $50 - $100, and I am pricing it for $700 and its in my best interest to push as many gamers as possible to the digital store. As long as I am still making the base model that is $450 available (also comes without a disc drive), I will not add the disc drive in the new SKU. I will basically use it to do every annoying, "they better not dare" thing under the sun, because at the end of the day, the base model is still there.

I will use it to try and desensitize people to the prospect of higher-priced consoles, to the prospect of buying disc drives separately... all the things that if I had done at the start of the gen, would spell the end of my platform.

So after 4 years, when I release the PS6 for $600, it would seem like a bargain. Oh... and it would come without a disc drive, but that would be sold like a plug in accessory right along with extra controllers and media remotes. And the backlash would be a lot less than what it is now.

But I am biased against physical media, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

Gaiff

I can see how you would think that. But I don't... being that if I were in their shoes, I would have done the exact same thing.
Stupid is the incorrect term, my bad. Their objective is to make money, so of course, if you were an executive tasked with making Sony money, you would do whatever is the most profitable for the company.
But for some context, I do not use physical media. I want it to die a quick death. I however want there to be some discourse on standards on digital stores, and I feel we never will have those conversations and changes until everyone is on board.

Now with that out of the way, If I were Sony, and I am making a high-end version of my console, and also marking up its price by say $50 - $100, and I am pricing it for $700 and its in my best interest to push as many gamers as possible to the digital store. As long as I am still making the base model that is $450 available (also comes without a disc drive), I will not add the disc drive in the new SKU. I will basically use it to do every annoying, "they better not dare" thing under the sun, because at the end of the day, the base model is still there.

I will use it to try and desensitize people to the prospect of higher-priced consoles, to the prospect of buying disc drives separately... all the things that if I had done at the start of the gen, would spell the end of my platform.

So after 4 years, when I release the PS6 for $600, it would seem like a bargain. Oh... and it would come without a disc drive, but that would be sold like a plug in accessory right along with extra controllers and media remotes. And the backlash would be a lot less than what it is now.

But I am biased against physical media, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.
Help me out here. Why do you want physical media to die off?

Last edited:

Robbit_80

Sorry if this has been answered but do we know if the PS5 Slim faceplates will fit the Pro? If so gonna buy the black ones, reckon will look pretty sick.

Also any news on the HDMI bandwidth getting an upgrade over the base PS5's 32Gbps so we can at last do 4K/120 4:4:4 now?

Mr.Phoenix

Stupid is the incorrect term, my bad. Their objective is to make money, so of course, if you were an executive tasked with making Sony money, you would do whatever is the most profitable for the company.

Help me out here. Why do you want physical media to die off?
Number of reasonable and selfish reasons (who am I kidding they are all probably selfish)
  1. I blame it for why prices are matched in on the digital stores. If they weren't there, then games should be cheaper right off the bat as the retailer allotment in that game price would be removed. But as it stands, Sony/MS/Nintendo takes what would have been their royalty allotment, and what would have been the retailer allotment, even while selling on their own store.
  2. I feel it's redundant hardware/system, and totally useless. As it stands, physical media isn't even used to play games off them, they are literally just a transport medium for the game data. You put them in, that data gets copied to your internal SSD anyway, and then run off that. If the issue is the need to have a physical copy of the game, then (this is one of the things I think should be standardized) every consumer should be allowed to make an account-tied copy of their digital games any way they see fit.

Be that to a disc, external drive.....whatever. That account key serves as a joint license for the content and should be transferable to anyone the consumer chooses. But once transferred, you relinquish access to the content, since now the content has a different account key associated to it.

Obviously, this also means that you can sell the content, and to ensure everyone is happy, the transactional sale of digital content can only happen through the parent store, you can set whatever price you want to sell it at, and can even specify a user to sell it to, or list it on the store for sale, but the parent store will take like a 10% transaction fee. This way, even when selling a used game (or used license to be more specific) the publisher and platform holder still get something off the sale. Hell, the store can even let you trade in your license key for instore credit.

I think such a system would be better than what we are doing now. And again, we will not have these changes or conversations as long as physical media remains the primary option.
  3. I am lazy, and the idea of getting up and swapping discs would literally put me off playing the game and I would just switch to Plex or something and watch a movie.
  4. They take up space, yes... I am a minimalist and the space they take up triggers my OCD.
  5. Forgot one more, kids like shiny things.... you know where this leads.
Told you they were selfish.

Sorry if this has been answered but do we know if the PS5 Slim faceplates will fit the Pro? If so gonna buy the black ones, reckon will look pretty sick.
yes they will.
Also any news on the HDMI bandwidth getting an upgrade over the base PS5's 32Gbps so we can at last do 4K/120 4:4:4 now?
I read somewhere about it being upped to 40Gbs. Dont know how true that is or if it was just my imagination.

Last edited:
Why i'm hearing people talking about framegen related to pro? Did i missed something?

Isn't pssr just a dlss type of upscaling? Does the pro also have a separatd tech like nvidia framegen?
In the presentation at 5:43 Mark Cerny says, "machine learning via PSSR library is being used quite "broadly" to add pixel detail and boost frame rate" ....I interpret that as some form of frame gen I could be wrong but it sounds pretty clear to me.

Top Bottom