• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

Eszti

Banned
OFFTOPIC but i just foundit and wanted to share since i cant make threads yet

EA Play is only 99 cent for 1 month on PS5 now.

maybe someone likes to try some ea games :)

saintjules

Gold Member
Richard has definitely changed his tune on the comparable graphics card as well so I think they might actually have a unit for testing plus the FF7 rebirth shots John was sharing wasn't in the event footage so if they don't have a test unit then they're definitely privy to more content and info that's not available currently.

I was thinking the same. I also saw this. But if that's just the presentation then what's being said about the footage of FF7 we haven't seen is true then about them having a unit.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Hopefully this doesn’t mean the PS6 is going to be $700.
wow-hell-no.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think PS6 won't cost below 600$ at the very least.

What I'm curious to see is how far they'll go with the drive disk.

I would say PS6 600$ digital, 700$ with disk tray.

But considering how expensive components are getting, it's a wild guess 4 years from now.
Its likely the PS6 will never come bundled with a drive and the reason I say this is because shelf space in stores is valuable and having only one sku of that big of a box makes more sense

The question is how long do they support the detachable disc drive

SkylineRKR

Yeah drives are obviously on the way out. They are going to release a digital only Pro just now, it happens that the drive was already there from the PS5 slim and the Pro supports it. But PS6? Its 2028 by that point. I think physical media is dead by then.

PS6 is going to cost 700, or perhaps more. Book it. The days of subsidized consoles for 400-500 are over, especially in this current economic climate.

kaizenkko

Yeah drives are obviously on the way out. They are going to release a digital only Pro just now, it happens that the drive was already there from the PS5 slim and the Pro supports it. But PS6? Its 2028 by that point. I think physical media is dead by then.

PS6 is going to cost 700, or perhaps more. Book it. The days of subsidized consoles for 400-500 are over, especially in this current economic climate.
They can keep the support for the same disk drive already available. Just sell it as an optional component and everything will be fine.

saintjules

Gold Member

Yeah in 4 years from now anyone thinking a Console to be less than $6-700 will be laughed at imo. I guess putting the Pro out at $700 will be the true testing of the waters to see how this pans out for the future.

In the very least I expect the disc drive to be an accessory until the gaming industry decides that the physical medium is not something that is feasible to continue with.

im confused someone asked sony support id the disc drive of the slim will fit on the pro

so wtf is now true ? this cant be man sony wtf are you smoking your support says its not you say it is.

Yi6s7Lx.png

It's compatible. Tell Brian M to stfu.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
One thing I am not seeing about the PS5 Pro and these specs is issues with cooling. Given the upgrades in such a small area compared to a similar spec PC in a very airy case with big cooling fans.
there are no issues its on 4nm the pro will liekly consume just as much as a ps5 if not even lessr by a little bit, and if we go by that its the same size this means the cooling solution is completely fine.

also the chip is much bigger which is easier to cool because the heat is not so dense on one point. so the pro should be quieter than a regular ps5 or slim if we go by logic :)

Eszti

Banned
There is no way Sony would do this right? Right? RIGHT???
i hope so i counted on that but the most likely outcome is that the support worker is a moron and not sony. i mean do we really think that a company like sony would lie about such a thing in an announcement aka blog after that? they said the existing disc drive will fit which is the same as on the slim.

5:19 he thinks it fits too. so go fuck you brian god damn it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Loxus

i hope so i counted on that but the most likely outcome is that the support worker is a moron and not sony. i mean do we really think that a company like sony would lie about such a thing in an announcement aka blog after that? they said the existing disc drive will fit which is the same as on the slim.

5:19 he thinks it fits too. so go fuck you brian god damn it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dude has a 97% rating though.
Most likely just a misunderstanding.

Plus he says not directly compatible, maybe it needs an internet connection.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
This is where I am on the PS5 Pro atm. On one hand I’m thinking, woah that’s expensive, but on the other, I acknowledge the fact that tech is getting more expensive every year. However, I agree that not enough detail has been revealed to justify a pre-order just yet.

Personally, I want more info on how the Pro improves older games, which 3rd-party games will be patched, to see new games running on Pro, and how PSVR2, and to a lesser extent, how Portal will be supported.

I’m firmly on the fence. However, I could be kicked into the PS5 Pro purchase field once more info and impressions have been shown, hopefully during the next Sony show.

Sinfulgore

So you were just talking out of your ass when you said PS5 Pro was advertised as being misleading.

I'll tell you what. I'll stop being ok with whatever PS5 pro is doing that you have a beef with when PC users decide its not ok to get reamed up the ass by that nvidia dong :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Are you even listening to what I said? The misleading part is that you are paying for the additional power that can only be utilized when and how the developers see fit. Which with the PS4 Pro resulted in games even with Boost mode running exactly the same as they did with the base PS4. If someone upgraded from a 4060 to a 4080 and some games still performed the same on the 4080 as their 4060 that would be a big problem at least for PC gamers.

What are you talking about the PS4 Pro benefitted the vast majority of games thanks to the boost mode, the same will be true for PS5 Pro.
The benefits with boost mode were minor and didn't take full advantage of the power of the PS4 Pro. Here is an example of what I mean, the PS4 Pro is powerful enough to run a game like Hades at 100+ FPS but you can't do that. This is the problem, it doesn't matter how powerful the PS4 Pro or the PS5 Pro is, you are dependent on the developers to decide how that power will be used. I feel like as consoles become more and more like PCs console gamers should be allowed the best feature of PC gaming which is choice. You can buy a 4090 and use it to play in 4k with maxed-out settings, or 1440p with high FPS, or not worry about any of that and just play a game in whatever the game defaults the settings to. I think console gamers should be allowed the same thing, they are the ones paying for the increased power they should be the ones to decide how it's used.

Bitstream

The true strength of the pro can't be shown in screenshot comparisons or using ps4 games where they've shoehorned in additional power. A screenshot that looks roughly equal doesn't show that the game runs at twice the framerate. Realistically, devs aren't going to revisit their older games and try to introduce new ray tracing effects. The pro gives all devs a superior, easy to implement alternative to FSR, and this will dramatically improve picture quality across the board.

The benefits with boost mode were minor and didn't take full advantage of the power of the PS4 Pro. Here is an example of what I mean, the PS4 Pro is powerful enough to run a game like Hades at 100+ FPS but you can't do that. This is the problem, it doesn't matter how powerful the PS4 Pro or the PS5 Pro is, you are dependent on the developers to decide how that power will be used. I feel like as consoles become more and more like PCs console gamers should be allowed the best feature of PC gaming which is choice. You can buy a 4090 and use it to play in 4k with maxed-out settings, or 1440p with high FPS, or not worry about any of that and just play a game in whatever the game defaults the settings to. I think console gamers should be allowed the same thing, they are the ones paying for the increased power they should be the ones to decide how it's used.
Not minor to me. Having more stable fps is very much appreciated.

saintjules

Gold Member
I'm still kind of puzzled as to why is it that hard for people to save money for something they want? I said this a few times before. We knew about the Pro since late 2022-ish? Even with Tom Henderson dialing in on the existence of the Pro about a year or so ago. That's a combo of 18 months of PS5 Pro knowledge of existence.

Granted we didn't know the price of $700USD, but if you put some money away each week or each month, the blow would be a lot softer. I mean $100/mo. for 6-7 months would have gotten you this easily. And if you didn't know the price until just this week, you still have a 2 month buffer to find the rest.

I remember the days leading up to the PS2 launch. My Brother and I had continuously took pieces of our weekly allowance to get the $350USD just to get the Console. I didn't pre-order it back then and didn't get a PS2 at Target after waiting on line. 2 months later I was able to score one.

Am I thinking too logically here or something? Whether it's expensive or not, there are ways to better prepare yourself on cost. And that's just with anything. I mean, how are people out the gate buying a $1600 GPU, and having no complaints about it??

Last edited:

Sinfulgore

Not minor to me. Having more stable fps is very much appreciated.
That's great that you don't think its minor but 1-5 fps gains on average are by definition minor. You wouldn't even notice the difference with most games with boost mode on.
F209rLF.png

:pie_smirking: i said 1000 but hes right if we really take everything into account.
I don't think comparing prices between consoles and PC is fair because they are fundamentally different types of devices. The specs of a console don't determine performance as they do for PC. If CD Project Red doesn't make a PS5 Pro patch for Cyberpunk or Witcher 3 for example then a gaming PC with lower specs than a PS5 Pro could still outperform it. Same goes with smaller indie games that are for the most part are locked to 60 FPS on consoles.

waquzy

This is where I am on the PS5 Pro atm. On one hand I’m thinking, woah that’s expensive, but on the other, I acknowledge the fact that tech is getting more expensive every year. However, I agree that not enough detail has been revealed to justify a pre-order just yet.

Personally, I want more info on how the Pro improves older games, which 3rd-party games will be patched, to see new games running on Pro, and how PSVR2, and to a lesser extent, how Portal will be supported.

I’m firmly on the fence. However, I could be kicked into the PS5 Pro purchase field once more info and impressions have been shown, hopefully during the next Sony show.
No need for pre order, there will be loads of stock… utter failure by Sony. Almost as bad as the PS3 launch price.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
Of course its not fair and stupid on top

But people seem to like it even with zero understanding of the matter

Last edited:

Gexxy1

I think PS6 won't cost below 600$ at the very least.

What I'm curious to see is how far they'll go with the drive disk.

I would say PS6 600$ digital, 700$ with disk tray.

But considering how expensive components are getting, it's a wild guess 4 years from now.
If the PS6 releases and is lower or even equal in price to the PS5 pro, no one is going to buy a pro.

Because of that, the PS6 will be a higher price than the ps5 pro will be at the time it releases. Unless they stop selling the pro by then, or have lowered the price, it's going to cost even more.

Last edited:

Schmick

There's no way the PS6 is going to cost £700+ because the Pro does. That's the Pro. When the PS6 comes out we are back to having a 'standard' version of a Playstation console. And then there will be a £700+ PS6 Pro further into the gen.

Gexxy1

There's no way the PS6 is going to cost £700+ because the Pro does. That's the Pro. When the PS6 comes out we are back to having a 'standard' version of a Playstation console. And then there will be a £700+ PS6 Pro further into the gen.
How will they sell their inventory of PS5 pro's if the PS6 costs less?

Unless they've lowered the price of the pro by then, which is possible I guess.

Last edited:

eerik9000

How will they sell their inventory of PS5 pro's if the PS6 costs less?

Unless they've lowered the price of the pro by then, which is possible I guess.
We are at least 3 years, more likely 4 years away from PS6. It will get cheaper by then. PS5 Pro will be discontinued as soon as PS6 is announced.

eerik9000

Oh shit.

Scalpers going to be big mad.
Disc drives need online activation and will be paired to a specific console. You cannot take the disc drive (that's been activated) from one console and move it to another one. That is what it means. If it is new in box, you are good to go.

jonnyp

That must be a US thing, I haven't bought a phone "on contract" ever here in Norway.

It used to be a thing in Norway until probably the last decade, you must be really young. Phones were practically free if you signed a timed contact, but as phones got a lot more expensive it wasn't viable for phone operators to offer it anymore it seems.

Top Bottom