• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

GymWolf

Gold Member
In the presentation at 5:43 Mark Cerny says, "machine learning via PSSR library is being used quite "broadly" to add pixel detail and boost frame rate" ....I interpret that as some form of frame gen I could be wrong but it sounds pretty clear to me.
I think he is just talking about the upscaling.
If they had a framegen tech they would scream about it.

Sorry if this has been answered but do we know if the PS5 Slim faceplates will fit the Pro? If so gonna buy the black ones, reckon will look pretty sick.

Also any news on the HDMI bandwidth getting an upgrade over the base PS5's 32Gbps so we can at last do 4K/120 4:4:4 now?
Found black plates on AliExpress and the vertical stand also. No way I'm going to buy the original stuff. I already have to pay 920€ to play my old physical games on it.😡😬

Moses85

Found black plates on AliExpress and the vertical stand also. No way I'm going to buy the original stuff. I already have to pay 920€ to play my old physical games on it.😡😬
The Slim Cover does fit on the Pro?

Lies No GIF

I think he is just talking about the upscaling.
If they had a framegen tech they would scream about it.
I guess that makes sense so in theory it's probably just using machine learning to generate pixels in order alleviate the stress on the gpu by rendering at a lower resolution helping the game push more frames as a result...

Business

Colin nails this. It's got nothing to do with wages for me. I don't agree with that. What I do agree with is do not pay more than what you think it is worth.

For me it's 650 pounds as an absolute ceiling with the disk drive and stand.

Once I can do that. I'm in. As long as it doesn't take a couple of years as I'll just wait for ps6.

That is assuming they won't rise prices instead...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How closely tied together do you speculate the announcement of the PS5 Pro was to the scuttling of Concord? I can imagine a scenario where the PS5 Pro reveal presentation originally had a bunch of Concord related segments, but that Sony decided that they didn't want the failure of Concord to negatively impact the PS5 Pro announcement. Taking out Concord so that it wouldn't drag PS5 Pro down.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

PeteBull

Gold Member
How closely tied together do you speculate the announcement of the PS5 Pro was to the scuttling of Concord? I can imagine a scenario where the PS5 Pro reveal presentation originally had a bunch of Concord related segments, but that Sony decided that they didn't want the failure of Concord to negatively impact the PS5 Pro announcement. Taking out Concord so that it wouldn't drag PS5 Pro down.
They knew internally concord gonna bomb hard, thats why official anouncement of its servers going down only on 10th/11th day after launch, they didnt show any bad games in pr0 showcase/reveal so 100% sure no concord was suppsed to be there, its simple logic- they wont charge 700$/800€ and imediatelly connect that premium price device to failure like concord, even helldivers2 would get faster pr0 patch/vids than concord for the very simple reason hd2 has positive msg behind it and not 100% negativity, its marketing 101.

mitchman

Gold Member
It used to be a thing in Norway until probably the last decade, you must be really young. Phones were practically free if you signed a timed contact, but as phones got a lot more expensive it wasn't viable for phone operators to offer it anymore it seems.
I'm not young no, and I still haven't bought a phone on contract ever.

XXL

I wonder if psvr2 gets a boost
Yes. Cerny mentioned it in the CNET article.
Cerny said the Pro will allow higher-resolution games on the PSVR 2 thanks to the GPU boost and eventually a tuning of Sony's AI upscaling that will work with all VR games.

bboris77

Neo Member
PS5 Pro is the first Sony console in 20 years that I will not be getting on the release day. I did get the PS4 Pro because it enabled 4K gaming which was a game-changer for me. From what I am understanding about the PS5 Pro, the main purpose of it was to raise the level of detail/native resolution for games that run in 120hz. It may also enable ray tracing at 60fps for some titles. We are talking about fairly marginal improvements here that will definitely not be noticeable or game changing like the jump from 1080p to 4k. It definitely does not justify the extraordinary price proposition.

Another thing that prevents me from jumping on the preorder train is the fact that the PS4 Pro had a jet engine fan. The original PS5 had bad coil whine, the early PS5 slims had whiny high-pitched NMB fans. In both cases, Sony silently fixed the coil whine and annoying fans a year after the original release, so I am good being patient here.

In my opinion, this could be a first Playstation that is not a massive commercial success, very similar to the PSVR2. A nice price cut would help the situation, but I really think Sony should have just concentrated on giving us better games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AU, UK & EU getting bum raped by Sony
dEa7u6X.jpeg
And that doesn’t even includes everyone’s extra costs of drive and stand vs PS5 OG.

All you other region gamers are getting fucked.

Canadas price of $960 is almost the same to currency exchange rates only being off by less than $10.

Ashamam

Huh?

AUD1090 (ex GST) = USD733(ex Tax)

We are paying a bit of a premium but its not huge. Who knows what Sony have hedged the exchange at but on current rates its about right.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Bojji

And that doesn’t even includes everyone’s extra costs of drive and stand vs PS5 OG.

All you other region gamers are getting fucked.

Canadas price of $960 is almost the same to currency exchange rates only being off by less than $10.

I just checked disc drives in Poland and they are ~1000pln used, that's like 1/3 of PS5 pro price. Holy shit...

"Premium product" my ass.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I've been through literal hell and trauma the last three weeks. So, I decided that I will splurge, and I will do what I can to pre-order one next week with a disc drive (will try to do PS Direct).

Then next month before it ships, I'll get either a 2TB or 4TB SSD.
It comes with 2TB.

Last edited:

ManaByte

It comes with 2 TB.

I have 14TB of additional storage on my XSX (5TB and 8TB externals for XBO/BC games, 1TB expansion card).

My current PS5 has a 1TB SSD installed and a 4TB external for PS4 games. I'll obviously move that 4TB over to the Pro.

My PC has a 2TB SN850 as the C: drive and then a 6TB D: drive.

The only reason I won't get the 8TB SSD in the Pro is because it's $1,000.

Last edited:
AU, UK & EU getting bum raped by Sony
dEa7u6X.jpeg
700USD plus GST are about 1150AUD, the official price in the country will be 1199AUD.

As for Europeans countries, after VAT, the price is similar to the one in the US.

And forecast for the next year is that 1USD will be equivalent to around 200yen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, if I'm not wrong $699 is €628,59 without tax. With 23% VAT it's €773,16. It's not €799 but I'd say it's pretty close. For that extra €27 they could ad a stand though ;).
700USD plus GST are about 1150AUD, the official price in the country will be 1199AUD.

As for Europeans countries, after VAT, the price is similar to the one in the US.

And forecast for the next year is that 1USD will be equivalent to around 200yen.
According to people the 800 euro includes the VAT tax.

The real comparison is $700 US + state tax (avg about 6-7% tax). So $750 US.

That converted to Euros is 680. So Europeans are paying 120 extra Euros for nothing. Also, the US/Euro currency exchange rate is the exact same as 2016 with PS4 Pro at 0.90. Back then US and Euro price were 400 each.

Last edited:

leizzra

According to people the 800 euro includes the VAT tax.
Yes, €799 is already with 23% VAT that is normal for EU.

The real comparison is $700 US + state tax (avg about 6-7% tax). So $750 US.

That converted to Euros is 680. So Europeans are paying 120 extra Euros for nothing.
What's the point? It only shows that USA has smaller tax then EU, but that's not Sony's fault ;) . If US had one single tax like 23% VAT then the price of PS5Pro would be something like $860.

Again - $699 (so without tax) translates to €628,59. Then you are adding VAT and it's €773,16. Now if we remove the VAT from €799, then it'll be €649,5. That translates to $722,78. As I wrote, more or less the price of stand ;) .

But I agree - there were times (and still are depending on accessory like stand) when the prices where translated 1:1 between dollar and euro. I don't know if there's some other tax applied at Sony (like for the electronics) in EU so that could matter, or is it only convenience for them.

Bojji

Yes, €799 is already with 23% VAT that is normal for EU.

What's the point? It only shows that USA has smaller tax then EU, but that's not Sony's fault ;) . If US had one single tax like 23% VAT then the price of PS5Pro would be something like $860.

Again - $699 (so without tax) translates to €628,59. Then you are adding VAT and it's €773,16. Now if we remove the VAT from €799, then it'll be €649,5. That translates to $722,78. As I wrote, more or less the price of stand ;) .

But I agree - there were times (and still are depending on accessory like stand) when the prices where translated 1:1 between dollar and euro. I don't know if there's some other tax applied at Sony (like for the electronics) in EU so that could matter, or is it only convenience for them.

Quite recent even:

screen-shot-2020-09-16-at-4-44-04-pm.png
581f4ca3dd0895e9548b46a3
maxresdefault.jpg

Sony to EU players:

lube-glide-gel.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've been through literal hell and trauma the last three weeks. So, I decided that I will splurge, and I will do what I can to pre-order one next week with a disc drive (will try to do PS Direct).

Then next month before it ships, I'll get either a 2TB or 4TB SSD.

Hope you're ok dude!

Treat yourself.

Top Bottom