• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since all the data is stored device side... I assume it's possible to edit files to give you tons of gems or something?
Everything is stored server side, asides from your account info (data048.bin) and your monster box (data056.bin). This is why the game requires a constant Internet connection.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Everything is stored server side, asides from your account info (data048.bin) and your monster box (data056.bin). This is why the game requires a constant Internet connection.

So couldn't you theoretically download a copy of some high-end monster box?

ParityBit

So now that we are no longer getting gems every day ( :( ) is it better to use the first couple sets as monster boxes or rare pulls? Besides Amu, I only have a my starter dragon and a Marine Rider on my team.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I have Amaterasu at level 40 of 50 and am working on getting her up to evolve her to 6*.

All that's left is a single Keeper of Light to evolve her, so next week I should have Amaterasu Ohkami! From then on I may be switching between her and my Ancient Dragon Knight as leaders. I see plenty of ADKs out there but barely any 6* Amaterasu (plenty of 5*, but quite inferior to the other healers at that point). Then after that to work on Valkyrie and a 2nd Chaos Dragon Knight. My Agdrall can be evolved to 5* right now as well, but I'm unsure of the 5* English name.

If they're already storing all that stuff server side, then why don't they store the account info stuff server side too? I feel nervous spending any money on this game because if my son accidentally deletes the app I'm totally in the hole and everything is unrecoverable.

I figured they just didn't store anything at all server side but now that I know that's not true, then it kind of confuses me why they can't make the app deletable.

ParityBit

I have Amaterasu at level 40 of 50 and am working on getting her up to evolve her to 6*.

All that's left is a single Keeper of Light to evolve her, so next week I should have Amaterasu Ohkami! From then on I may be switching between her and my Ancient Dragon Knight as leaders. Then after that to work on Valkyrie and a 2nd Chaos Dragon Knight.

All on the same account?

If they're already storing all that stuff server side, then why don't they store the account info stuff server side too? I feel nervous spending any money on this game because if my son accidentally deletes the app I'm totally in the hole and everything is unrecoverable.

I figured they just didn't store anything at all server side but now that I know that's not true, then it kind of confuses me why they can't make the app deletable.
They do store account information serverside, they just lock authorization within the app data and not behind a login system for who the goddamn knows why.

I also believe you can't just download somebody else's monster box cause there's some account info in there also. But if you only back up data048.bin and not data056.bin as well you can potentially lose your entire monster box when you restore. Can you hear that? It's the sound of everybody reading this post collectively slamming their heads onto their desks repeatedly.

They do store account information serverside, they just lock authorization within the app data and not behind a login system for who the goddamn knows why.

I also believe you can't just download somebody else's monster box cause there's some account info in there also. But if you only back up data048.bin and not data056.bin as well you can potentially lose your entire monster box when you restore. Can you hear that? It's the sound of everybody reading this post collectively slamming their heads onto their desks repeatedly.

That sucks. I don't know anything about these files you're talking about, but I basically just backup to iCloud / iTunes. I assume this is sufficient to secure the game data in case I need to restore?

Jinko

It's completely bizarre how they have done this, only a JP dev could make something so convoluted.

I am guna try and copy my account over to my tablet in a couple days and will let you all know if it fails or not ..

Victrix

*beard*
It's japan. Don't be surprised at their online ineptitude :p

It really blows on Android though, because I don't think you can get the data somewhere safe without rooting your phone (and the app wouldn't even RUN on a rooted phone a few weeks ago!)

Feel free to spend lots of cash though, I'm sure their support will help you recover a lost or deleted account (this is me laughing)

I bet I know why they did it this way now. It's easier to just generate a random token client side when you create a new character, and then embed that token in your server side data file and your client side data files, than it is to build a login system. So that means when you delete your app and re-download, it generates a new token. It's pretty crappy though, they're probably making a fortune off of the app, you'd think they'd build in a login system now that it's doing so well

Victrix

*beard*
Diagonal is a myth

(unless maybe on a large tablet)

No way I'd risk it in some of the harder dungeons on my phone though, one failed match and you tend to die in those :p

Jinko

I bet I know why they did it this way now. It's easier to just generate a random token client side when you create a new character, and then embed that token in your server side data file and your client side data files, than it is to build a login system. So that means when you delete your app and re-download, it generates a new token. It's pretty crappy though, they're probably making a fortune off of the app, you'd think they'd build in a login system now that it's doing so well

How would they sync the two up now though, they could easily add the feature to save everything server side, the data files are only like 4 kbytes.

In effect we already have accounts = ID numbers, just need to tie those files to that ID number and save them to the server.

mercviper

Diagonal is a myth

(unless maybe on a large tablet)

No way I'd risk it in some of the harder dungeons on my phone though, one failed match and you tend to die in those :p

It's just really precise. I wouldn't recommend trying to diagonal, but I would keep it in mind to actively avoid making a diagonal by accident. Can really screw your pathing up.

ccbfan

Woohoo

After spending the 2nd day doing mermaid feast (Did like 20 but at least it levelled me up quite a bit)

Then spending the entire yesterday first going against the siren at 1.5 drops and then going against the alarune at 1.5 drop. Couldn't count how many I did but I did level up a bunch.

Finally got a mermaid while waiting for my work computer to shut down (Tooks like 20 minutes since it had to do a ton of updates)

Quickly upped her to max level and now hunting for water orb ghost thing.

Question though. Should I tray to max her skill first or turn her into a siren first?

Also why does no one ever level up their Amaterasu. Got three in my friend list and they're all under level 20. I was amazed how bad they were.

xelios

Also why does no one ever level up their Amaterasu. Got three in my friend list and they're all under level 20. I was amazed how bad they were.

Because they're gods and take much more experience than the other healers to level. 5* Amaterasu is very mediocre, 6* easily crushes the other healers but overall they're very late bloomers and need loooots of experience to reach their full potential.

xCobalt

Woohoo

After spending the 2nd day doing mermaid feast (Did like 20 but at least it levelled me up quite a bit)

Then spending the entire yesterday first going against the siren at 1.5 drops and then going against the alarune at 1.5 drop. Couldn't count how many I did but I did level up a bunch.

Finally got a mermaid while waiting for my work computer to shut down (Tooks like 20 minutes since it had to do a ton of updates)

Quickly upped her to max level and now hunting for water orb ghost thing.

Question though. Should I tray to max her skill first or turn her into a siren first?

You should level their skill when they're at a lower level to save on costs during fusion. Doesn't really matter what stage they're at.

I believe Amaterasu is a god so they require a lot of exp to level up. Most people early on can't afford or have strong enough fodder to effectively level her up.

xelios

I noticed the same thing tonight and failed a bunch trying to do it. I keep practicing at the end of a wave.

I can only do it about 1/2 the time on my iPad, I imagine it's much harder on a phone.

Same here. I dont try on my phone ever.

So do you think I should use my gems for a pull or boxes, since we no longer get free ones?

I can get the diagonal move most of the time on my ipad, but yea it's not simple. Try using a stylus maybe? Even if you can get it though, it makes it much harder to plan an effective route when you have to consider diagonal moves.

As an aside, what kind of team composition should I be using? Currently I'm going with one of each element, but I'm not sure if that's as effective as going all one color. I also currently don't have a healer, just going all dps. Is it worth evolving a carbuncle up a few times and using them as a healer?

lingiii

Banned
I can get the diagonal move most of the time on my ipad, but yea it's not simple. Try using a stylus maybe? Even if you can get it though, it makes it much harder to plan an effective route when you have to consider diagonal moves.

As an aside, what kind of team composition should I be using? Currently I'm going with one of each element, but I'm not sure if that's as effective as going all one color. I also currently don't have a healer, just going all dps. Is it worth evolving a carbuncle up a few times and using them as a healer?

You will need a healer, but you're probably ok using buddies until it matters. I haven't found one of each element to be very good; your starter dragon has a leader skill to boost a same-color ally's power, so make sure you have at least one extra of his color.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Could use some more valkyries on my friends list: 393.336.291. Currently running Archangel or my own valk most of the time.

ParityBit

I have one account that started with a healer (brand new account on my phone) and one which I am building a healer. I tried all DPS (mixed dragon/ADK)... it did not work well after a while.

I leveled an Alraune and I think that I'll forget my Dryad search. I realised that the passive skill of the Dryad is the same as a leveled carbucle, and I have farmed so many times the Dryad level that I already leveled a lot my "green" main characters, and I don't want to change them for a Dryad.

My leveled carbuncle is dark, and I don't have any dark "special" character. I think that maybe is better to continue grinding on the levels until I reach a dungeon where farm healers with better drop rate (or being stronger to be able to farm in the current levels, but much faster).

Jinko

Running 2 elements is probably a better choice, I am running dark/light but switch out certain monster depending on the dungeon.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You got a vamp lord... I'd say that's a pretty good start to a team. Running all dark currently with vamp as my leader.

Yup - he's incredible. Here's my team:
33D8D9C9-D76B-4DC4-BC32-B950AA25E5A9-21566-00000D889D5D54E6.jpg

With the right partner leader, I roll through the normal dungeons. Just got to Castle of Satan.

Smiley90

That feeling when you get a High Metal dragon from a Pal Egg... which allows you to go from lvl1 on your starter purple dragon to level 35 in just ONE power-up fusion, which only costs 400coins... FEELS SO FRIGGIN AMAZING.

1x King Metal Dragon + 2x High Metal dragon + 1x regular metal dragon = 106500 exp, I need 106347 to go from 1 to 35.

EDIT: Missing one evo material though... Anyone know where I can find this guy: http://zh.pad.wikia.com/wiki/闇の番人

Pet151.png

Dark Gatekeeper/Fanren or sth, not sure what the translation into english is supposed to be.

J0dy77

Just finished Satan Dungeon this evening and have finally started to hit a road block. Failed my first normal dungeon in a while.

But I did fine the technical dungeon and wow they're awesome. Had the nose on the second stage heal to full as I was one match away from killing her. Then she dropped my fire orbs to blocks. A whole new level of enjoyment for the game. Loved it.

Where is the best place to find crimson demon mask? I need to Evo my Titan.

xelios

That feeling when you get a High Metal dragon from a Pal Egg... which allows you to go from lvl1 on your starter purple dragon to level 35 in just ONE power-up fusion, which only costs 400coins... FEELS SO FRIGGIN AMAZING.

1x King Metal Dragon + 2x High Metal dragon + 1x regular metal dragon = 106500 exp, I need 106347 to go from 1 to 35.

EDIT: Missing one evo material though... Anyone know where I can find this guy: http://zh.pad.wikia.com/wiki/闇の番人

Pet151.png

Dark Gatekeeper/Fanren or sth, not sure what the translation into english is supposed to be.

Pretty sure they're chance encounters on the Tuesday dungeons. While getting one of the tri-colored keepers I encountered a Keeper of Light about halfway through.

Smiley90

Pretty sure they're chance encounters on the Tuesday dungeons. While getting one of the tri-colored keepers I encountered a Keeper of Light about halfway through.

Tuesday mhmmm... So far... But k, thx! Will keep an eye out.

So now that we are no longer getting gems every day ( :( ) is it better to use the first couple sets as monster boxes or rare pulls? Besides Amu, I only have a my starter dragon and a Marine Rider on my team.
MONSTER BOXES!!! MONSTER BOXES!!!

Don't believe the rare pull hype, at least not early in the game. You NEED plenty of monster boxes to efficiently manage all of your fusion and evo inventory.

If you have plenty of stones, you might consider pulling 1 or 2 rares to give you something to work it early-on. But you really want at least 40-50 boxes early-on, because they will fill-up fast.

Pet151.png

He's a 100% drop in the Tuesday Keeper Special Dungeon of the same color. Only the rainbow keeper is a random drop.

Is it possible to have multiple saves on one device? I heard you could backup certain files and it would work.
You can't backup saves. Those are kept server-side. What you're reading about are people essentially backing up the aunthentication tokens for multiple different accounts. So, say you've been playing game A, and want to start a new game B, but want to "save" your progress in game A, in case you want to go back or switch between accounts. You would backup the dat48 and dat56 files from the app directory. Those files by themselves don't contain your progress information. But when you restore them at a later time, and start the game, the server will determine your account from those files and retrieve the appropriate save file for you to continue where you left off.

Aside from playing multiple accounts, some people also exploit this ability by:

1. Rolling desirable helper monsters with the free tutorial rare gacha and adding them as friends to their main accounts.
  2. Raising their rank up to 20 to send a friendship egg to their main accounts.

xelios

He's a 100% drop in the Tuesday Keeper Special Dungeon of the same color. Only the rainbow keeper is a random drop.

On Tuesdays there are only red, green & blue dungeons, not dark or light. So the dark and light keepers are random encounters within those dungeons, which (I assume) drop 100% of the time IF you run into them.

My Amaterasu at level 50 now and all I actually need a Keeper of Light as my last evo material. Tuesday can't come soon enough.

On Tuesdays there are only red, green & blue dungeons, not dark or light. So the dark and light keepers are random encounters within those dungeons, which (I assume) drop 100% of the time IF you run into them.

My Amaterasu at level 45/50 now (gods take way too much exp), and I actually need a Keeper of Light as my last evo material. Tuesday can't come soon enough.
Ah, you're right. I was thinking he posted a green Keeper pic for some reason. But yeah, the only one that doesn't drop 100% is the Rainbow Keeper.

xelios

My latest final evolution, not sure when I'll use him but it felt pretty good to evolve him up. Have the fire one that's almost ready to evolve (Agdrall).

Edit: Flare Drall evolved as well! Couldn't resist using some Sapphire Pengdras to get him to level 35. :(

photo3mqnt.png
photo2cspzq.png

Anyone had success getting a Dryad out of Demeter Forest? Ran it about 5 times just now and no luck, how many times did you have to do it before it dropped?

Trying to figure out what kind of drop rate to expect

J0dy77

Asked this earlier but it got buried. Are the starter level dragons and lil dragons worth leveling? They are taking up a ton of room in my box and have no shot at hitting my lineup. Do they eventually become worthwhile?

Gaspode_T

Dumb newbie mistake of the day = try to do a special dungeon, breeze through to the boss, die and use a magic stone to continue, then realize I am barely shaving life off the boss and have literally no chance of winning

I have a hard time remember all the names of my monsters but basically I am still trying the scatter strategy of raising multiple color teams at the same time. I don't really care about getting to end game or whatever, I just want to have fun and try not to spend money (actually I probably WOULD spend money if the gems were more like 5 for 85 yen instead of only 1 for 85 yen, which is a total ripoff)

Gaspode_T

Thanks for the gift exchange, Gaspode!

I got a Ptera and Spinon (starter light and dark dragons.)

Not sure if they're any good, but Ptera looks like a bad-ass chicken so I'm happy! Good luck with your pulls!

Yeah I got a green dragon with flower on the head thing and a second nessie blue dragon with +1.

Man I have been seeing some super interesting randoms to pick from today, maybe because it is a weekend day, I even saw one which is the cover character from Famitsu. Some of them are so badass...I like the dual color ones, so I am not too upset I didn't reroll my ジーニャ, she and my red titan are close to evolving (L35) but I have no masks at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom