• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Kalentan

So... I accidently destroyed my Mutes gadget. How does he respond? He teamkills me and then tries to vote kick me.

Are people that levels of asshole?

Kalentan

Anyone else think that if the match is 3 v 5 or below, that the team with less people should get more resources? Like reinforced walls?

The more I play, the more I think in PvP, flash bangs are nigh useless. They seem to have little to no effect every time.
They seem to have an effective range of five feet, any more and it seems to have no affect, at least in my experience.

Meanwhile Blitz's flash has an approximate range of 100 feet.

Cc23830

Purchased this yesterday with the intent of playing in to the new year. Instead argued with the wife while playing The Walking dead Monopoly. I will make the right choice tonight

BIGWORM

Sorry I had to dip out earlier on the PC side, but had fun with Demo, jaytima, and another, who's name escapes me. Probably gonna be on tonight as well (the 1st).

manhack

I've been trying to play this game, excited about the tactical and objective based nature, but every game just turns into tactical team death match. Across dozens of games (solo queue, to be fair), I have yet to see a hostage extracted, and I've seen maybe one objective completed, and then only because it was 4 on 1 and the 4 planted the defuser.

Does it get better in parties?

While playing with PC GAF we see the objective completed many times. We had one match where the Hostage was rescued by both teams 3 times.

BIGWORM

Don't know if I'll ever get this game but the way paid content is handled actually sounds pretty decent.

A lot of free skins, I've just noticed. They were pretty much thank yous from Ubisoft and redeemed through Uplay itself. I'm wondering how they're going to handle DLC...

Hatchtag

Banned
I see this is on sale on Xbl, as someone who plays solo mostly is this worth picking up?

On XBO, the majority of the population has mics. Well, maybe not the majority, but much more than they do in like Halo 5 or something. So if you're worried about not being able to collaborate with your team, don't be.

Klyka

Banned
A lot of free skins, I've just noticed. They were pretty much thank yous from Ubisoft and redeemed through Uplay itself. I'm wondering how they're going to handle DLC...

tier 1-3 weapon skins are bought with renown. tier 4-5 are bought with renown or R6 credits. tier 6 skins are only bought with r6 credits.

all maps are free. all modes are free. they all unlock for everyone on the same day and same time.

operators are unlocked with either renown or r6 credits. season pass owners get them unlocked a week early and just added to their roster.

That's it. That's exactly how their DLC works,right there.

KodaRuss

tier 1-3 weapon skins are bought with renown. tier 4-5 are bought with renown or R6 credits. tier 6 skins are only bought with r6 credits.

all maps are free. all modes are free. they all unlock for everyone on the same day and same time.

operators are unlocked with either renown or r6 credits. season pass owners get them unlocked a week early and just added to their roster.

Not sure how Giant Bomb got so confused with that...

I havent been able to play for like three days and it is killing me. Dang Holidays!!!

I do love Giant Bomb and they often get things wrong about games, and it never usually bothers me, even for games I like. It just does in this case because I've barely heard anyone talk about it besides my friends and this thread and it sucks that it's being misrepresented when it's so good.

Klyka

Banned
I do love Giant Bomb and they often get things wrong about games, and it never usually bothers me, even for games I like. It just does in this case because I've barely heard anyone talk about it besides my friends and this thread and it sucks that it's being misrepresented when it's so good.

The word of mouth is strong with this game though.

Only the server issues are harming it right now.

Sojgat

I find myself agreeing with Jeff most of the time, but his opinions on Siege are pretty aggravating. I expected him not to like it (just not his kind of game), but his characterization of the game's business model seems uninformed and overly harsh. The microtransactions in Siege couldn't be more unobtrusive.

Klyka

Banned
I find myself agreeing with Jeff most of the time, but his opinions on Siege are pretty aggravating. I expected him not to like it (just not his kind of game), but his characterization of the game's business model seems uninformed and overly harsh. The microtransactions in Siege couldn't be more unobtrusive.

The way he paints it, he's making it sound like Evolve which couldn't be further away from it.

Very sad how many people will get turned off from even giving the game a chance based on these comments.

At least we have many articles saying how Siege is the "surprise of the year" and such.

To be fair on Giant Bomb, I have criticised games in the past for similar reasons.

While sure, the MT system doesn't cause any problems for non-paying players, it really should not be there. It feels as though Ubisoft decided to keep the maps free, but then realise they have absolutely no idea on how to generate additional revenue from this game. So they dumped in skins, and a season pass, neither of which are especially compelling content, and unfortunately this content is offered by the games contemporaries absolutely free of charge (Call of Duty, Battlefield)

In either case, something as simple as weapon skins should not be on sale for £5 a pop and should not be for sale on the games launch. For those that bought the full game, it comes with a paltry selection of weapon skins and and all of those that have been carefully crafted (all of the weapon skins that are not simply a generic texture painted over the weapon, but instead include carefully placed details) are paid skins.

All the while, the season pass is frightfully expensive but that too, represents very poor value for money. Aside some free skins nothing especially meaningful is offered. The rep boost is negligible, and ultimately meaningless, the same can be said for the additional challenges.

Of course none of this directly affects the full game, but indeed, it's hard to deny that it would be nice if people that did not want to spend additional cash had something to work towards. What is this clearance level nonsense? By 30 you will have unlocked all of the operators, and the skins that are purchasable with rep are awfully generic. Of course there's rep boosters you can buy to help with this too... and what a waste of money they are.

Ultimately, the game could have been more appealing in some ways if Ubisoft were not so focused on generating extra revenue from seemingly all angles. As it stands neither the season pass, skins or rep boosters represent good value for money. All skins should be purchasable in-game, even if some of them required an excess of rep, they should be unlock-able by all players.

The season pass should have focused on adding additional operator skins, drone skins, operator and map previews (map previews could take the form of a new situations), features like a potential mission editor, and weapon skin editior, etc. Skins should have been attainable by all, with cash shortcuts, then the season pass should have focused on enriching the experience with some substantial cosmetic and early access features, for a premium. Periodic releases of 'animal skins', generically plastered onto your weapons is simply not good enough.

I do disagree with Giant Bombs ignorance though, this crappy MT nonsense doesn't have any significant affect on those wanting to enjoy the core experience. More so, it has an effect on those wanting to pay a premium to get more out of it. On games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Killzone etc. it's clear how I need to spend my cash if I want to get more out of the experience, you just buy the season pass, then you don't have to worry. But Ubisoft would have to purchase the season pass, and then spend £100 on individual skins, and all the while will still leave you with less than the content offered by Battlefield or Call of Duty.

I wouldn't say it spoils the game at all, but let's say they scrapped the shite and focused on a season pass that would offer the aforementioned (operator skins, drone skins, operator and map previews (map previews could take the form of a new situations), features like a potential mission editor, and weapon skin editor, etc.) and all skins were unlockable via rep. The game would be much more engaging in terms of offering content to push forward for, regular players, while the season pass would be a must have for those wanting to get more out of the game, bringing meaningful additions that genuinely enrich the experience.

I'm not saying the MT has ruined the game, what I am saying, is that this game has one of the stupidest paid DLC models I have ever seen.

Grimsen

All the while, the season pass is frightfully expensive but that too, represents very poor value for money. Aside some free skins nothing especially meaningful is offered. The rep boost is negligible, and ultimately meaningless, the same can be said for the additional challenges.

I agree that the season pass is too expensive. But Ubi packed-in a useless 600 Rainbow points and justified charging more for it. Had it been 20$ or 25$, it would have been OK.

It does offer all 8 operators unlocked right off the bat a week ahead of time, though, which I wouldn't consider negligible.

Klyka

Banned
I agree that the season pass is too expensive. But Ubi packed-in a useless 600 Rainbow points and justified charging more for it. Had it been 20$ or 25$, it would have been OK.

It does offer all 8 operators unlocked right off the bat a week ahead of time, though, which I wouldn't consider negligible.

I bought the season pass for 15€ and the game for 30€.

I think I came out quite well here :D

OkfGrMC.png

Matches like these make your team feel worthy of the 'team rainbow' label!

Casual is casual though. These double flawless games, and similar, have been much more common since Christmas.

1 week on operators seems silly to me. What if you're busy with work on the week they come out, or something like that? If people are paying £25 then they should be able to retain something meaningful from that. Operator previews should be a perk of the pass, not its focus.

Klyka

Banned
To be fair on Giant Bomb, I have criticised games in the past for similar reasons.

One BFP (big fucking post).

It has a DLC model so useless it doesn't even need to exist which makes it the BEST DLC model.

Also, I am not sure why you have CoD and BF as your examples of good DLC content, seeing as they literally split up the playerbase :(

It has a DLC model so useless it doesn't even need to exist which makes it the BEST DLC model.

Also, I am not sure why you have CoD and BF as your examples of good DLC content, seeing as they literally split up the playerbase :(

I didn't have them as an example of good DLC content, but rather an example of a very clear representation of value for consumers. I iterated examples for content that Ubisoft could have included that would not have split the player base, yet allowed the season pass to represent good value for money. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Either way, the season pass, and all of the DLC content is pretty poor in value, and to an extent, Ubisoft do deserve some backlash from critics. They packed their game with arbitrary MT, and a nonsense season pass, anyone giving this title a glance on the store, or anything else is going to see things like 'rep boosters' and identify Siege as 'freemium' model garbage.

Of course that's not the case, but in a way, that's how Ubisoft have painted this game to outsiders. I mean, before I started playing, even I was speculative how the MT systems would affect the game. I'm sure many others were. It's easy to be internal and say 'the MT systems are unobtrusive' but that doesn't justify them, and it doesn't represent the perspective that people will often take, when looking in at Siege and its distribution model.

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps paid weapon skins are what people want. But from what I've seen myself, none of my friends feel that they represent good value for money, and even those that have purchased the skins or season pass, frequently acknowledge it as a 'waste of money'. I agree, and this is coming from someone that owns the season pass. It was a waste of money and I don't care for it. Indeed the one week previews will be cool, but I don't even know if I'll get good use out of them. If they are released in my exam period, then I won't get to use them at all.

Klyka

Banned
I didn't have them as an example of good DLC content, but rather an example of a very clear representation of value for consumers. I iterated examples for content that Ubisoft could have included that would not have split the player base, yet allowed the season pass to represent good value for money. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Either way, the season pass, and all of the DLC content is pretty poor in value, and to an extent, Ubisoft do deserve some backlash from critics. They packed their game with arbitrary MT, and a nonsense season pass, anyone giving this title a glance on the store, or anything else is going to see things like 'rep boosters' and identify Siege as 'freemium' model garbage.

Of course that's not the case, but in a way, that's how Ubisoft have painted this game to outsiders. I mean, before I started playing, even I was speculative how the MT systems would affect the game. I'm sure many others were. It's easy to be internal and say 'the MT systems are unobtrusive' but that doesn't justify them, and it doesn't represent the perspective that people will often take, when looking in at Siege and its distribution model.

They should have renamed the Season Pass to something else.

Like, call it an "Elite Account" with stuff like "Become an Elite now and gain these cool perks and access to exclusive weapon skins!"

Btw, it's not just a "1 week preview". You get the operators immediately unlocked. You won't have to spend 50k renown to unlock both of them. That's also something for people like me for example. I play the game pretty regularly,but not regularly enough to just have 50k renown lying around to buy the ops in time every time new ones come out. And I thought "hey,for 15€, this is ok for me".

They should have renamed the Season Pass to something else.

Like, call it an "Elite Account" with stuff like "Become an Elite now and gain these cool perks and access to exclusive weapon skins!"

That may help, but it wouldn't adjust the value proposition. I feel that one week early access to operators, is just not enough for most people.

Why couldn't we have an elite account that granted us all skins for the game? Why couldn't individual skins be reasonably priced.

The reality is that the season pass represents poor value for money because Ubisoft believe their skins are worth £3-5 each, which I believe a majority of consumers will disagree with. However, with this distorted logic, Ubi have justified the £25 price tag.

Klyka

Banned
That may help, but it wouldn't adjust the value proposition. I feel that one week early access to operators, is just not enough for most people.

Why couldn't we have an elite account that granted us all skins for the game? Why couldn't individual skins be reasonably priced.

The reality is that the season pass represents poor value for money because Ubisoft believe their skins are worth £3-5 each, which I believe a majority of consumers will disagree with. However, with this distorted logic, Ubi have justified the £25 price tag.

People pay exorbitant amount of money for "exclusive cosmetics", that's sadly a fact at this point.

It's just skins man, I think we can safely ignore them and leave em to the whales.

Just saw this on reddit btw:

But Blizzard always gets a free pass no matter what they do :(

People pay exorbitant amount of money for "exclusive cosmetics", that's sadly a fact at this point.

It's just skins man, I think we can safely ignore them and leave em to the whales.

I get that I can ignore the skins, but I like the game and would like to buy extra content that's worthwhile.

Just like I like street fighter and I'm happy to buy extra content like modes, and character costumes. I would like to buy extra content like character skins and modes (e.g. mission editor, AI, mission simulator) for Siege.

The problem I have is that this tat (skins, rep booster) is in the place of good content. I am more than happy to pay extra for DLC, but I want that DLC to be well produced and compelling.

Klyka

Banned
I get that I can ignore the skins, but I like the game and would like to buy extra content that's worthwhile.

Just like I like street fighter and I'm happy to buy extra content like modes, and character costumes. I would like to buy extra content like character skins and modes (e.g. mission editor, AI, mission simulator) for Siege.

The problem I have is that this tat (skins, rep booster) is in the place of good content. I am more than happy to pay extra for DLC, but I want that DLC to be well produced and compelling.

But...we are getting the well produced stuff for free.....

But...we are getting the well produced stuff for free.....

I think we're getting to a separate issue here. The season pass and MT content should represent good value or money, independent of the content that is free. So in that regard, this line of argument / discussion is a bit of a straw man, but let's continue and discuss the free content anyway.

4 maps and 8 operators.

Comparing that body of content to any contemporary, successful FPS. Honestly? It's kinda' paltry. I mean, I really appreciate new maps, but in a way, when there is so little content I would almost prefer a series of paid expansions.

I get that Siege maps are very detailed, but in terms of quantity relative to the core package... all other titles offes an expansion of 100-200% magnitude the core experience. BF4 shipped with 10 maps, and its DLC adds 20. Call of Duty ships with 10 and adds an additional 20 (counting zombies).

I honestly feel that one map per quarter is the bare minimum to keep the community engaged, and that's kind of a shame. Heck, maybe if the season pass and MT system were compelling, they could have supported a more substantial series of map / operator expansions.

Klyka

Banned
I think we're getting to a separate issue here. The season pass and MT content should represent good value or money, independent of the content that is free. So in that regard, this line of argument / discussion is a bit of a straw man, but let's continue and discuss the free content anyway.

4 maps and 8 operators.

Comparing that body of content to any contemporary, successful FPS. Honestly? It's kinda' paltry. I mean, I really appreciate new maps, but in a way, when there is so little content I would almost prefer a series of paid expansions.

I get that Siege maps are very detailed, but in terms of quantity relative to the core package... all other titles offes an expansion of 100-200% magnitude the core experience. BF4 shipped with 10 maps, and its DLC adds 20. Call of Duty ships with 10 and adds an additional 20 (counting zombies).

I honestly feel that one map per quarter is the bare minimum to keep the community engaged, and that's kind of a shame. Heck, maybe if the season pass and MT system were compelling, they could have supported a more substantial series of map / operator expansions.

The maps aren't just detailed though, the maps need to be balanced around destructability and reinforcement. They never really play the same thaks to the mechanics of the gameplay and the mechanics embedded in the maps themselves.

For me,personally, a Siege map is easily worth 2-3 Battlefront maps for example, cause the are always the exact same. They just have different graphics, they change nothing about how the game plays at all.

The maps aren't just detailed though, the maps need to be balanced around destructability and reinforcement. They never really play the same thaks to the mechanics of the gameplay and the mechanics embedded in the maps themselves.

For me,personally, a Siege map is easily worth 2-3 Battlefront maps for example, cause the are always the exact same. They just have different graphics, they change nothing about how the game plays at all.

They're not carefully balanced though, let's be honest.

On every map in this game, there are objective points that are significantly more or less viable to defend. Heck, even when I played in the pre-release tournament at Eurogamer, every even semi-decent team we played, would pick armoury of Hereford.

Luggage is by far the best defensive location on the plane.
Ground Floor House is an absolute nightmare to defend.
Strip club on Club House is awful, you can tear down the entire wall leading in on the ground floor.
Kitchen on Kafe Dostoyevsky is much easier to approach than anything on the upper floors.
Any ground floor defensive location almost immediately loses a) the ability to conceal the objective and b) the time pressure.

The reason there's so much variability in the viability of defensive locations is the lack of balance in regards to the ability to reinforce and oversee objective areas.

Also, I think Battlefront is crap, so you do not need to convince me that a Siege map is worth 3 Battlefront maps. I think Battlefield 4s maps are actually quite carefully designed, though. At least in many cases!

iMax

Saying the game is like F2P and all that is fucking bullshit and so ignorant on Giant Bomb. I remember reading something like that before and it put me off the game but having bought it people who say that couldn't be more wrong.

Jim Sterling refuses to cover it (and Halo 5... and any other game with micro transactions) for the same reason. He's completely right about micro transactions and the damage they can have on games but I don't think this is the case here at all.

He always makes a point that cosmetic items can create an effect of envy toward other players; a psychological blackmail into purchasing whatever cosmetic options are available. But in Siege, we're just talking about weapon skins. I don't even think I see anyone's skins in a match.

His other main point is that "companies want you to purchase micro transactions" and that alone is a reason to lampoon them. Well, of course they do. It's integrated into their business model.

It's an additional source of funding to counter used games sales, where the developer/publisher sees additional strain on their resources with no money heading their way. Just like season passes, online passes, and everything else they've tried in the past.

It's why they've got an extensive one year plan for Siege. It's not just "player service". They're trying to keep people from trading in for as long as possible to a point where it's no longer viable to as the value has decreased so much.

Drewfonse

Has it been confirmed that the new operators will cost 25,000 renown? And that if you buy the season pass, you get them immediately without any renown cost?

Because it takes me a long time to generate 25000.

Klyka

Banned
Is this game good? I want some gaf advices

If you read the thread, you will see people here love it.

Has it been confirmed that the new operators will cost 25,000 renown? And that if you buy the season pass, you get them immediately without any renown cost?

Because it takes me a long time to generate 25000.

25k renown is the number that has been thrown around a lot. It is not 100% confirmed though,I can't show you an official communication which states that number.

And yes,if you own the season pass,you get the operators immediately unlocked in your roster, 7 days earlier than non season pass owners.

Drewfonse

If you read the thread, you will see people here love it.

25k renown is the number that has been thrown around a lot. It is not 100% confirmed though,I can't show you can official communication which states that number.

And yes,if you own the season pass,you get the operators immediately unlocked in your roster, 7 days earlier than non season pass owners.

Ok, thanks.

I think that I might just get the season pass. I want to experience all of the operators. I'm okay spending more money on this game, because it is so freaking AWESOME.

Klyka

Banned
Ok, thanks.

I think that I might just get the season pass. I want to experience all of the operators. I'm okay spending more money on this game, because it is so freaking AWESOME.

if you shop around,you can get the season pass for very very cheap online.

Klyka

Banned
I am playing on Xbox one. Are you talking PC?

Oh,yes, sorry I was talking PC. I am sure you can find an offer for the xbone season pass somewhere too though.

Will new maps be free too?

I shall repost my earlier post

iMax

25k renown is the number that has been thrown around a lot. It is not 100% confirmed though,I can't show you an official communication which states that number.

25,000 each? That can't be right. That's insane.

arimanius

I'm glad companies are going from paid maps to paid skins. I always hated when companies split the community or hold maps back to be part of dlc. I use to not care but this past year really soured me on the practice. So I'm glad my two favorite games right now(siege and halo) aren't doing this.

Top Bottom