• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Klyka

Banned
25,000 each? That can't be right. That's insane.

That's the number being thrown around. Again, no officially confirmed number has been given.

Do remember that the time between new operators is 3 months, so the amount of renown is pretty ok. They do of course also want to gently push people to either get the season pass or outright buy the operators, cause you know, making profit.

iMax

That's the number being thrown around. Again, no officially confirmed number has been given.

Do remember that the time between new operators is 3 months, so the amount of renown is pretty ok. They do of course also want to gently push people to either get the season pass or outright buy the operators, cause you know, making profit.

Yeah, true. You said you can get season passes cheaply online. Any pointers? Only finding the PC ones to be cheap :(

edit: just saw your above post, don't worry! :)

Klyka

Banned

:O

alright, thanks mate!

Ok so we got a confirmed price of 25000 renown to unlock one of the new operators!

Alternately, new operators can be unlocked for 600 R6 Credits ($4.99 USD).

btw I fucked up my skin tiers in my previous posts. it's actually this:

Tier 1 skins can only be unlocked with Renown, while Tiers 2 and 3 can be unlocked with either Renown or R6 Credits. Tiers 4 and 5 (which represent about a third of the available skins) can only be unlocked with R6 Credits.

Klyka

Banned
Well, that's messed up.

It's not that crazy. If you play regularly, do challenges and maybe some quick Terrorist Hunt here and there,it's pretty easy to achieve. I don't see it as any harder/longer than trying to unlock an expensive LoL champ with IP.

iMax

It's not that crazy. If you play regularly, do challenges and maybe some quick Terrorist Hunt here and there,it's pretty easy to achieve. I don't see it as any harder/longer than trying to unlock an expensive LoL champ with IP.

The value dissonance is far too imbalanced. 25,000R vs $4.99? That's not right.

Tarnpanzer

If you don't buy skins, its pretty easy to collect 25k just by playing the game. Normal operators are not that expensive, and attachments are very cheap.

Shari

Except LoL is free.

I would have been ok with 10k, but 25 is ducking ridiculous.

I've been testing weapon damage and such and then also stumbled upon this video

Take home messages from my own testing and the video

• Weapon damage on in-game stats isn't a baseline for tier one armour, all damage is reduced from that which is advertised on the weapon
  • Both armour and rooks armour ability make a huge difference.
  • Glaz can one-shot you in the torso even if you have tier three armour, but not if you have tier three armour and armour plating
  • Damage drop off with range is huge, reducing damage by almost 50% as you get outside of optimum range (varies per weapon)
  • Even when accounting for the deceptive baseline damage, the in-game stats are actually inaccurate. For instance the commando states 50 damage, deals 47 to torso on tier one armour, the MP5k states 40 damage, yet deals 25.

From my own testing, in-game bullet spread charts are almost irrelevant, too. I might make a big post on that, at some point soon.

Klyka

Banned
Except LoL is free.

I would have been ok with 10k, but 25 is ducking ridiculous.

LoL also doesn't give you 20 champions from the start ;^)

I've been testing weapon damage and such and then also stumbled upon this video

Take home messages from my own testing and the video

• Weapon damage on in-game stats isn't a baseline for tier one armour, all damage is reduced from that which is advertised on the weapon
  • Both armour and rooks armour ability make a huge difference.
  • Glaz can one-shot you in the torso even if you have tier three armour, but not if you have tier three armour and armour plating
  • Damage drop off with range is huge, reducing damage by almost 50% as you get outside of optimum range (varies per weapon)
  • Even when accounting for the deceptive inaccurate baseline damage, the in-game stats are actually inaccurate. For instance the commando states 50 damage, deals 47 to torso on tier one armour, the MK5k states 40 damage, yet deals 25.

From my own testing, in-game bullet spread charts are almost irrelevant, too. I might make a big post on that, at some point soon.

headshots kill from all weapons and all ranges though,right? saw that in a video

Realistically, it takes about 45 minutes to get 1000 rep (matches take 10-20 minutes but usually average around 15 I would say. So we're talking 19 hours gametime per 25,000 rep. 150 hours for the 8 operatives. If we include matchmaking time, and such, it's closer to 200 hours.

Safe to say, the majority of people will not be unlocking all operatives without paying money. 200 hours is not a lot to spend on a game for me, but I know it is for others.

I don't think I have a problem with that though. At least it does somewhat validate the season pass.

Klyka

Banned
Realistically, it takes about 45 minutes to get 1000 rep (matches take 10-20 minutes but usually average around 15 I would say. So we're talking 19 hours gametime per 25,000 rep. 150 hours for the 8 operatives. If we include matchmaking time, and such, it's closer to 200 hours.

Safe to say, the majority of people will not be unlocking all operatives without paying money. 200 hours is not a lot to spend on a game for me, but I know it is for others.

I don't think I have a problem with that though. At least it does somewhat validate the season pass.

And this does all take place over 1 year,let's not forget that. so those 200 hours (if that at all depending on if you do terror hunt for example and of course daily challenges exist too) are spread out over 1 year of content. Or well, maybe 3 months less since the last two OPs unlock then and if you want them immediately day 1.

headshots kill from all weapons and all ranges though,right? saw that in a video

Yeah. They do, even when the bullet would only deal 5 damage they kill.

If a grenade or nitro etc hits you (the actual impact of the projectile, not the explosion), it also deals 5 damage.

I think that somewhat debunks the realism debate on the weapon damage, because by that logic, a thrown projectile impact should kill you, or silenced MP5 shot at heavy armour from long range should not. I know which one of those makes sense to me.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah. They do, even when the bullet would only deal 5 damage they kill.

If a grenade or nitro etc hits you (the actual impact of the projectile, not the explosion), it also deals 5 damage.

I think that somewhat debunks the realism debate on the weapon damage, because by that logic, a thrown projectile impact should kill you, or silenced MP5 shot at heavy armour from long range should not. I know which one of those makes sense to me.

"He died from C4 to the head"

"someone exploded his head????"

"no no,they threw it at him"

"oh....right"

nOoblet16

New operatives will be 25,000 each ?
That's microtransation gtind if I ever saw one, considering final operatives for each faction cost 2000 each in the base game. I was expecting new operatives to be around that.

I can't tell if it's my connection, my play this morning, or what, but is the gun damage different in ranked than it is in casual. I've played about 40 hours in casual and while its apparent the MP5, etc are pretty weak, I've never had issues dropping people with them. I'm playing ranked his morning and have had two people already turn and kill me while I'm bursting the mp5 into their back, chest, head area. The same happens with Kapkan's 9x19. If I run with the AK12, it's basically a one hit kill.

I know those weapons have different damage, but I never noticed such a huge disparity between them when playing casual. Anyone else notice this?

Dubz

I get that I can ignore the skins, but I like the game and would like to buy extra content that's worthwhile.

Just like I like street fighter and I'm happy to buy extra content like modes, and character costumes. I would like to buy extra content like character skins and modes (e.g. mission editor, AI, mission simulator) for Siege.

The problem I have is that this tat (skins, rep booster) is in the place of good content. I am more than happy to pay extra for DLC, but I want that DLC to be well produced and compelling.

Paid DLC splits the community. Skins are your new paid DLC.

I absolutely love the destruction and blood splatter in this game.

the satisfaction when you view the carnage at the end of a firefight is great. a lot of games fail in this aspect.

That's microtransation gtind if I ever saw one, considering final operatives for each faction cost 2000 each in the base game. I was expecting new operatives to be around that.

wtf this is dissapointing if true. I hope ubisoft doesn't ruin a good game like this.

Kalentan

Well 2000 would be too easy to get. 25k is kind of insane but at 2k the Season Pass would be nigh useless. I think if they did 10k or 12k would be better. It's still more expensive then a normal operator, but it's still more managable.

Yeah, 25000 isn't that bad to me. It doesn't take too long to unlock all operators and then you can just start saving up. I bought the gold edition when it was on sale last week, so I've spent mine, but I've had a pretty good amount of extra renown to buy weapon skins just because.

Be glad you can earn them at all without any real money.

MattyG

Banned
So I'm a bit late to the party, but I just started playing last night and OH MY GOD is this fun. One question though; what is the incentive to buying the season pass? It seems like everything is free? Is it just early access and exclusive skins?

Valkrai

So I'm a bit late to the party, but I just started playing last night and OH MY GOD is this fun. One question though; what is the incentive to buying the season pass? It seems like everything is free? Is it just early access and exclusive skins?

All post launch content will be free with the exception of skins. Ops are also free and you get them a week early if you have the season pass.

They'll be 25,000 renown for non-SP owners after.

Not really a reason to buy the pass unless you want to bypass the grind to unlock the DLC operators and get some paid skins.

I don't really feel like 25k is a lot for me. I got around 7k renown yesterday (when games actually started giving it out). I have nothing to spend it on either.

Unless the two new operators come out right away, it seems fine to me. I'll have more then enough by then.

Can someone explain to me how the ranking system works in this game. It's really confusing me for some reason I can't get my head around it

I don't really feel like 25k is a lot for me. I got around 7k renown yesterday (when games actually started giving it out). I have nothing to spend it on either.

Unless the two new operators come out right away, it seems fine to me. I'll have more then enough by then.

Yup. And then you'll have around 3 months to save up 50k again? This is a non issue.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's not even that much of a grind. I've unlocked all operators, all their attachments for every weapon, and even bought 3 skins in the 10-12k range. Still have 6k renown sitting there, even with half the recent matches not giving renown.

January operators might be a little grindy for people... but the next three updates, you have 3 months between drops. Just playing regularly should be enough. I've probably earned 50k just since launch.

This imo is such a non-issue. Especially in a world where shit like Destiny and BF4 exist.

Valkrai

It's not even that much of a grind. I've unlocked all operators, all their attachments for every weapon, and even bought 3 skins in the 10-12k range. Still have 6k renown sitting there, even with half the recent matches not giving renown.

January operators might be a little grindy for people... but the next three updates, you have 3 months between drops. Just playing regularly should be enough. I've probably earned 50k just since launch.

This imo is such a non-issue. Especially in a world where shit like Destiny and BF4 exist.

Yeah but it's still worth stating especially since it won't be following the model of regular operators.

Nothing to me will be worse of a grind than Battlefield 4 though.

I've bought all operators, unlocked some expensive skins, purchased most weapon attachments, and I have 28,379 left. And, that's without receiving a lot of it when the game was messing up this week.

iMax

Yup. And then you'll have around 3 months to save up 50k again? This is a non issue.

It would be a non-issue if an operator wasn't available for purchase with real money. The value dissonance is imbalanced. If they're sticking with 25,000, they should value the operators much higher in real-world money.

Animator

It would be a non-issue if an operator wasn't available for purchase with real money. The value dissonance is imbalanced. If they're sticking with 25,000, they should value the operators much higher in real-world money.

I fail to see your logic there. Casual play (2-3 matches a day) will get you all the renown you need and then some for the new operators and all their attachments. This is another case of gamers getting outraged over dumb shit.

I'm in the the PS4 community message thread and added it to my favorites, but how do I actually get into games with people? I can't see who's online and I can't see if anyone is in a session.

Evolved1

I'm just saying, of all the games to get annoyed about.... Siege? Where every important thing (map, weapon, mode, character) is free, and the renown piles up pretty fast?

Okay. Sure.

I despise unlock systems just in general, but on the scale of the truly offensive, Siege barely registers. They actually get points for keeping pay-for entirely cosmetic. The fact this particular game has received disproportionate criticism, being maybe the least offensive "offender", has me scratching my head, and a bit annoyed.

Evolved1

You would have a stronger case if renown wasn't as piss-easy to accumulate quickly.

iMax

I fail to see your logic there. Casual play (2-3 matches a day) will get you all the renown you need and then some for the new operators and all their attachments. This is another case of gamers getting outraged over dumb shit.

This is not "dumb shit".

Casual play, going by your metric of 2-3 matches today, will probably attain around 1000 renown daily. That's nearly a month of casual play, every day in order to unlock one operator.

Or, you can just spend five bucks and get it instantly. Do you not see the imbalance here? It's the very definition of grinding for grinding's sake. If the operators were more expensive, say $15 each, I'd have no problem with this.

Micro transactions are great when they're balanced properly with the in-game economy. This is not the case here.

iMax

You would have a stronger case if renown wasn't as piss-easy to accumulate quickly.

It really isn't though. You get, what, 300 for a successful match and 100 for a loss? 100 for a terrohunt win?

For a player who plays several matches a day, does a few challenges, they're probably going to attain around 1500 renown. Casual players will get even less. That's gonna take a long time to unlock an operator, let alone both.

Again, the problem isn't with the cost. 25,000 is fine. It's the real-world amount I have an issue with. It's far too low.

Evolved1

This is not "dumb shit".

Casual play, going by your metric of 2-3 matches today, will probably attain around 1000 renown daily. That's nearly a month of casual play, every day in order to unlock one operator.

Or, you can just spend five bucks and get it instantly. Do you not see the imbalance here? It's the very definition of grinding for grinding's sake. If the operators were more expensive, say $15 each, I'd have no problem with this.

Micro transactions are great when they're balanced properly with the in-game economy. This is not the case here.
Just don't agree. You confirm his point in your own post. Casual play will grant plenty enough renown to unlock the two operators in the three months between drops.

Go do the math on Destiny....

It really isn't though. You get, what, 300 for a successful match and 100 for a loss? 100 for a terrohunt win?

For a player who plays several matches a day, does a few challenges, they're probably going to attain around 1500 renown. Casual players will get even less. That's gonna take a long time to unlock an operator, let alone both.

Again, the problem isn't with the cost. 25,000 is fine. It's the real-world amount I have an issue with. It's far too low.

Wait, what? Lol you just threw me. Now the complaint is that the real-money cost is too cheap? Idk what to say.

Just don't agree. You confirm his point in your own post. Casual play will grant plenty enough renown to unlock the two operators in the three months between drops.

Are you referring to the class boosters which cost €30? Whereas to get to 25 it takes around 5 hours. Nothing wrong with that.

iMax

Wait, what? Lol you just threw me. Now the complaint is that real-real-money cost is too cheap? Idk what to say.

Yes, that's my point, and always has been. I don't know why it's too hard to understand. Because of the enormous value dissonance Ubisoft his employing here, they are greatly devaluing the unlocking process in normal play in favour for just using real money. How can you not see that?!

Destiny's a great example. Can you imagine if they made their class boosters $5?! It would basically negate the entire in-game level-building process.

More casual players, who you seem to think will unlock "plenty enough renown" (not sure how you're quantifying this, by the way...) are basically getting backed into a corner here.

This is not "dumb shit".

So you just want the unlock with real money to be more expensive? This is such a weird complaint.

Top Bottom