• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
People complaining about sieges dlc model are crazy. And the fuck at wanting operators to be more expensive, is 2016 some kind of twilight zone or something?

1b88ef6139d4de45536e9adf99662cc0.jpg

Fury451

Banned
So I picked this up over the new year. Started it today, did some Situations. I get the jist. So first game....

I'm on defense with the Hostage, ends up 1v1 with just me and the Hostage. Team mate just died upstairs so I sit and wait. 50 seconds on clock and I wait.... then I see the vote to kick me start then... I'm removed.

Did I do something wrong? I'm pretty sure me waiting for them to come to the hostage is the aim of Defense? Did I really get kicked because I didn't hunt them down like I'm playing CoD?

Not a great start.

Don't sweat it, some people are just morons that scream for you to do something stupid like expose yourself. Had a guy yelling at me because I was camping the bio weapon room (got 2 of 3 kills doing that but was ultimately eliminated)- he up and quit. Pretty rare to see someone like that in my experience, though I've never seen anyone kicked for it. Most players understand the game and are pretty friendly, even cheering you on and helping to try to spot the enemy if you're the last man standing.

You also get the occasional team killing dirtbag, but that's only happened to me about 3 times out of hundreds of games.

It's worth it if you stick with it. As I mentioned, most people play the game the right way- as a team.

iMax

You've lost me. Are you talking about the existing operators or the DLC?

Also, 25 hours isn't my number. it's Ubi's.

DLC. Someone said I should look at this situation the other way around; that Ubisoft is letting us unlock in-game items without paying real-world money "unlike lots of other shooters", citing none by name, by the way.

And 25,000 Renown in 25 hours?! That's incredibly optimistic.

Klyka

Banned
So I picked this up over the new year. Started it today, did some Situations. I get the jist. So first game....

I'm on defense with the Hostage, ends up 1v1 with just me and the Hostage. Team mate just died upstairs so I sit and wait. 50 seconds on clock and I wait.... then I see the vote to kick me start then... I'm removed.

Did I do something wrong? I'm pretty sure me waiting for them to come to the hostage is the aim of Defense? Did I really get kicked because I didn't hunt them down like I'm playing CoD?

Not a great start.

You got kicked by the attacking team because they wanted to win.

At least this is something I have read is possible somehow.

To the people above posting about "DLC will split this community" and "glad I bought it cheap cause I am not DLC target audience" you guys are the worst informed and densest fucks I have seen this year on this forum.
I award you 1000 Smedbucks each and send you off to find your promised DLC land.

I'm just glad I bought this game for £15. It's fun, but I feel dirty just looking at the menu and the way it handles in-game purchases.

I never buy season passes or DLC in general to be honest, so I'm not exactly their target audience with this game.

How did you get it for 15?

Grimsen

DLC. Someone said I should look at this situation the other way around; that Ubisoft is letting us unlock in-game items without paying real-world money "unlike lots of other shooters", citing none by name, by the way.

Er, I still don't see how it's a bad thing. Anyways, never mind.

I'm far from a good player, and get 1000 renown per hour on average.

Fury451

Banned
I'm just glad I bought this game for £15. It's fun, but I feel dirty just looking at the menu and the way it handles in-game purchases.

I never buy season passes or DLC in general to be honest, so I'm not exactly their target audience with this game.

Que? I don't get these posts. The in-game purchase stuff is entirely ignorable. Playing consistently, you can unlock all characters within a relatively reasonable period of time.

It's probably the least intrusive game in regards to advertising in-game purchases and DLC in a long time.

Sectus

You get new modes, maps, operators, and weapons for free. How many other shooters do that? Considering that, I'm all okay with there being some inconsequential micro-transactions in the game.

And in my case, Ubisoft's estimate is actually pretty spot on. I've played for around 100 hours (yes, I like the game too much), and I've earned more than 100,000 renown.

You are right on the season pass. Not sure why it is called that. Ubisoft decided to call hero packs/bundles, Season Pass. My bad on the that. That is my crow to eat. However, all the other facts stand. Limited offline play, PvP focused squad based game. In game purchases to unlock heroes/operators, booster packs to make in game currency build faster for real world money, or just straight up buy content through micro transactions. There are F2P games that put this currency shit in your face less than this game. I paid $60 for the game, I should at least have %50 of the operators unlocked. Just like if you pay for $60 "bundles" for F2P games you get several heroes/operator/whatever you want to call them unlocked.

Please, again, enlighten me how this game isn't structured like a F2P game? For the last time, this has nothing to do do with the actual gameplay, which we all seem to enjoy in this thread, but there is certainly a discussion to be had about a $60 game being structured in this way.

Klyka

Banned
You are right on the season pass. Not sure why it is called that. Ubisoft decided to call hero packs/bundles, Season Pass. My bad on the that. That is my crow to eat. However, all the other facts stand. Limited offline play, PvP focused squad based game. In game purchases to unlock heroes/operators, booster packs to make in game currency build faster for real world money, or just straight up buy content through micro transactions. There are F2P games that put this currency shit in your face less than this game. I paid $60 for the game, I should at least have %50 of the operators unlocked. Just like if you pay for $60 "bundles" for F2P games you get several heroes/operator/whatever you want to call them unlocked.

Please, again, enlighten me how this game isn't structured like a F2P game? For the last time, this has nothing to do do with the actual gameplay, which we all seem to enjoy in this thread, but there is certainly a discussion to be had about a $60 being structured in this way.

I paid 28€ for Black Ops 3, why aren't all guns all operators,all skins and all customization options unlocked from the start? I don't understand.

It's 2016 mate, unlocking shit is not a new thing at this point, please.

iMax

Er, I still don't see how it's a bad thing. Anyways, never mind.

I'm far from a good player, and get 1000 renown per hour on average.

I just think it's sad how we've already seemingly decided that not having to spend real-world money on non-cosmetic content in a $60 AAA game is now totally normal.

As for renown, I get probably 300 for a win and 100 for a loss on average with about four matches an hour? Even if I win two of them (assuming they're not custom games, which are the only way to play with more than four friends), that's still not 1000.

Grimsen

Please, again, enlighten me how this game isn't structured like a F2P game? For the last time, this has nothing to do do with the actual gameplay, which we all seem to enjoy in this thread, but there is certainly a discussion to be had about a $60 game being structured in this way.

Operators take no time at all to unlock, so I have absolutely no idea why you're complaining.

Oh wait, "limited offline play"? You're still upset about the lack on a campaign? Get over it, man.

arimanius

I think this game is really fun so far, but it is definitely setup to be a F2P game and should be priced accordingly. Ugh, all this renown shit and boosters is egregious. Way to shit up an otherwise awesome game Ubisoft. This game should cost $30 tops. I am ok that I bought it, but after spending $60, having the game absolutely assault you with micro transaction shit is off putting as fuck. Really wish this was a F2P game. It would be much better.

You realize there are F2P games besides exploitative mobile games right? Heroes of the Storm is F2P, and a damn good game because if it. F2P does not equal a bad game. Take your rose colored glasses off for a second and look at the landscape of beloved really good F2P games, all of which have micro transactions that are reasonable and well handled. HotS has an almost identical setup to RB6:S. Daily challenges, boosters, heroes/operators to unlock with either gameplay or shortcut microtranactions. The main difference is I didn't have to pay $60 for HotS but I did for RB6:S. I have to pay for a season pass for this game too for future content, in HotS and many many other F2P games you don't and it is good because the player community doesn't fragment.

You are being incredibly obtuse if you can't see how this is setup as a $60 F2P game. Again, this doesn't mean it is a bad game, in fact RB6:S is fucking awesome and crazy fun. Way better than any shooter in 2015. However, Ubisoft put this game in an obnoxious, F2P wrapper with a $60 price tag and it is bullshit. Unlike Jeff, I don't think the game is garbage becaus of this, but it deserves to be called out as another awful Ubisoft practice. This game is only going to get worse as new content releases. It will be like Destiny. You either have to have the season pass to be part of the core community or you stop playing. In that regard this isn't even a $60 F2P game, it is a $90 game with a near identical setup to several highly successful F2P games. One final time, I think the F2P aspects are shit, but the game itself is great which is a shame.

How do you not see this? You've stared into one too many flash bangs if you can't.

tbt.gif

Operators take no time at all to unlock, so O have absolutely no idea why you're complaining.

Oh wait, "limited offline play"? You're still upset about the lack on a campaign? Get over it, man.

I've played for like 25 hrs and still have 6 operators to unlock. I'm also really bad, but 25 hrs on one game is a lot for me.

iMax

You get new modes, maps, operators, and weapons for free. How many other shooters do that? Considering that, I'm all okay with there being some inconsequential micro-transactions in the game.

And in my case, Ubisoft's estimate is actually pretty spot on. I've played for around 100 hours (yes, I like the game too much), and I've earned more than 100,000 renown.

But they're not inconsequential if the value is not balanced, that's the point!

As for renown, I can't say that applies to me. That's why this deal stings me in particular. I'm basically being backed into a corner to get this "free" content by buying it! I think everyone's estimates are a little inflated. And lol at whoever said all the operators can be unlocked in 2 days.

I paid 28€ for Black Ops 3, why aren't all guns all operators,all skins and all customization options unlocked from the start? I don't understand.

It's 2016 mate, unlocking shit is not a new thing at this point, please.

Black Ops 3 has an entire single player campaign that is inline with other single player only games that cost $60. See, you are on to some thing. Start comparing RB6:S to other games in 2016 mate. Yep.. ok yep, you are so close. What is the best match....other F2P games. How crazy right? Your argument could be made about any game with "unlocks" in it ever made. Just because shitty practices are becoming more commonplace, doesn't make them less shitty an obvious.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I just think it's sad how we've already seemingly decided that not having to spend real-world money on non-cosmetic content in a $60 AAA game is now totally normal.

Let me get this straight: you're annoyed that you don't have to pay money to unlock content..?

robot.gif

arimanius

Black Ops 3 has an entire single player campaign that is inline with other single player only games that cost $60. See, you are on to some thing. Start comparing RB6:S to other games in 2016 mate. Yep.. ok yep, you are so close. What is the best match....other F2P games. How crazy right? Your argument could be made about any game with "unlocks" in it ever made. Just because shitty practices are becoming more commonplace, doesn't make them less shitty an obvious.

I hope you get this upset when Overwatch launches because the content will be largely the same as Siege.

iMax

Let me get this straight: you're annoyed that you don't have to pay money to unlock content..?

robot.gif

What? I said I think it's sad that we're supposed to thank Ubisoft for letting us use in-game currency to acquire in-game content instead of paying for it with real-world money. It's a sad precedent to make considering that's literally how it's always worked.

Fury451

Banned
What? I said I think it's sad that we're supposed to thank Ubisoft for letting us use in-game currency to acquire in-game content instead of paying for it with real-world money. It's a sad precedent to make.

Why? It's a nice alternative with an increasingly monetized gaming industry. It's like back in the day when you had to earn unlocks in games, except you can bypass it with money if you're in a hurry. But you don't have to at all.

Utter insanity in this thread now. This is why its dangerous when people with giantbomb's reach spout uninformed bullshit for their followers to parrot.

Klyka

Banned

Who gives a shit about a singleplayer campaign in a multiplayer game?

We were talking about unlocks. Even the fucking single player has unlocks.

Jesus, I'm going back to actually playing the game instead of filling my mind with the crazy in this thread right now.

"MUH F2P" is one of THE most aggravating things on the internet right now.
"Evolve should be F2P" "Destiny should be F2P" "-game i want- should be F2P"

So fucking dumb. Just buy games online for half or one third the price like everyone else. Jesus fuck I gotta go headshot some Blitz players.

I hope you get this upset when Overwatch launches because the content will be largely the same as Siege.

see above: "Just because shitty practices are becoming more commonplace, doesn't make them less shitty an obvious."

For multiple reason I am not interested in Overwatch. But yeah, games that are now taking long established F2P models, keeping that in tact, and then adding a $60 buy in... is garbage. FFS, this OP even straight up discourages people from buying the season pass. That should be a red flag to some bad practices going on or some new shit a dev is trying to pull. A bunch of frogs are being boiled saying how lovely the water is and that we should be thankful that we aren't over in that cold pond.

I have played F2P that are shit, that are awesome, that have systems to allow me to pay nothing and experience everything, others that eventually squeeze money out of me for some in game item or character. However, this is the first game I have paid $60 for that then greeted me with what I have come to strongly associate with F2P games. Do you understand how people can have a reasonable reaction of clicking, "buy now for $60" installing the game, firing it up and then seeing a very familiar setup as games they played for free for the last several years? That is how people like me and others go.."huh, this is kind of bullshit."

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What? I said I think it's sad that we're supposed to thank Ubisoft for letting us use in-game currency to acquire in-game content instead of paying for it with real-world money. It's a sad precedent to make.

Considering the current landscape and the direction it appears to be headed, yes, we should "thank" them. I want to support games that let me unlock content without paying extra.

Drewfonse

I love this game so hard.

Ubi did an incredible job with the sound design. Everything, from the menu music, ambient sounds, gameplay cues, etc., is done so well. They all conspire to convince you that THIS SHIT MATTERS, SO DON'T FUCK THIS UP.

iMax

Why? It's a nice alternative with an increasingly monetized gaming industry. It's like back in the day when you had to earn unlocks in games, except you can bypass it with money if you're in a hurry. But you don't have to at all.

Well, you do, because 25,000 Renown is an insane amount for a lot of normal players who've been promised "free" content, particularly when the real-money alternative is so comparatively cheap.

iMax

Considering the current landscape and the direction it appears to be headed, yes, we should "thank" them. I want to support games that let me unlock content without paying extra.

Absolutely. But it needs to be experience-led, not grind-led. This arbitrary figure of 25,000R in no way reflects the current balance of value within the game.

see above: "Just because shitty practices are becoming more commonplace, doesn't make them less shitty an obvious."

For multiple reason I am not interested in Overwatch. But yeah, games that are now taking long established F2P models, keeping that in tact, and then adding a $60 buy in... is garbage. FFS, this OP even straight up discourages people from buying the season pass. That should be a red flag to some bad practices going on or some new shit a dev is trying to pull. A bunch of frogs are being boiled saying how lovely the water is and that we should be thankful that we aren't over in that cold pond.

I have played F2P that are shit, that are awesome, that have systems to allow me to pay nothing and experience everything, others that eventually squeeze money out of me for some in game item or character. However, this is the first game I have paid $60 for that then greeted me with what I have come to strongly associate with F2P games. Do you understand how people can have a reasonable reaction of clicking, "buy now for $60" installing the game, firing it up and then seeing a very familiar setup as games they played for free for the last several years? That is how people like me and others go.."huh, this is kind of bullshit."

What exactly is the F2P setup here?

I'm failing to see it and I play a ton of F2P games. That it's multiplayer only? That you can unlock operators?

Cause those are some humongous ass stretches.

Klyka

Banned
You know guys, there might actually be people out there and even in here, who play the game cause they think it's crazy fun and just get renown while playing the game, instead of "grinding".

Those people might not give a shit about any new operators and directly grinding for them, they'll just pick them up whenever if they have the renown for it.

iMax

You know guys, there might actually be people out there and even in here, who play the game cause they think it's crazy fun and just get renown while playing the game, instead of "grinding".

Those people might not give a shit about any new operators and directly grinding for them, they'll just pick them up whenever if they have the renown for it.

There's also some of us who spend the vast majority of their time in custom games and are kinda screwed :)

Valkrai

So you would rather have less focus on multiplayer in a multiplayer focused game to create a shoehorned in Single Player?

This is ridiculous considering how difficult creating a game like this can be plus even then just making a campaign takes a lot of resources and even more to make good. Black Ops 3 was hot garbage in its SP/COOP, the best parts were things that were established years ago (MP/Zombies)

Even then, I don't think you really understand anything about this game (Definitely not Jeff, love him but he's flat out wrong on this one). Everything in the game is free. The only two things you can buy in the game are boosters (which is redundant considering you get renown super easily without boosters) and cosmetic skins. That's the only thing that you pay real money for, I'd say its closer to CSGOs monetization model without cases and keys.

Drewfonse

Does anyone else sometimes shoot teammates because they confuse friend for foe? I've done it a number of times. I don't know why I sometimes have trouble differentiating in close quarters, but I do.

E-flux

So how's everybody's opinions about the current ranked system? Especially the way you pick and choose where to defend? I have been lately just playing casual thanks to every map turning into "luggage wars" and both teams pick the same place to defend constantly. I like having it on random, rounds feel fresh every time that way.

Ok, I hate this game right now. Total trash. I can put an entire clip into a person from behind and they are always able to headshot me with the greatest of ease. Hit detection is trash. Servers are trash. I'm Morton.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So how's everybody's opinions about the current ranked system? Especially the way you pick and choose where to defend? I have been lately just playing casual thanks to every map turning into "luggage wars" and both teams pick the same place to defend constantly. I like having it on random, rounds feel fresh every time that way.

They should have it like so

A spot that your team picked (or not pick by no voting) Can not be used by your team for the remainder of the match

I don't like "random"
In causal mode I have had the same damn spots more times that I have in ranked voting

Some people said they never see the hostage being rescued, so I put two rounds of my friends and me doing just that in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nuPz-RJaN0

I should have saved the video of me rescuring the hostage 2vs2 with 10 seconds on the clock

Valkrai

I think Ranked needs a lot of work. Right now it just seems like another form of Casual. Especially on the ranking system itself. Ubisoft doesn't want K/D Ratio to matter in it but they undermine themselves by having that as a stat when viewing players stats. Not only that but imo there's too many HUD elements as it is.

iMax

I think Ranked needs a lot of work. Right now it just seems like another form of Casual. Especially on the ranking system itself. Ubisoft doesn't want K/D Ratio to matter in it but they undermine themselves by having that as a stat when viewing players stats. Not only that but imo there's too many HUD elements as it is.

Would be nice if the ranking was a bit more transparent too, in terms of how close I am to the next rank and how close I am to dropping one!

Top Bottom