• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

I play castle so I don't get fucked over by someone else picking him. So many times they just pack the whole team in like sardines waiting to be killed. I like to spread my bulletproofs out so I either funnel the enemy team (combined with a mute) or know they are coming because they just blew it up.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
More likely that I've played with shitty Castle players.

Like my roommate. Dude has played almost as much as me (on my account :-| ) but still doesn't really know how to effectively use Operators.

Wish I knew more about sights/scopes--someone on reddit said he read a rumor that this SAT op will have a thermal sight:
Uh, lol... isn't that a thermal scope in the pic you posted!

I thought it was immediately but then got sidetracked and never looked it up to confirm. I bet he has smokes too.

Keihart

They should fix the glitch that makes the laser of Kapkan's traps invisible, and make the fucking laser invisible...

Keihart

Removing the hook would probably be a better idea.

Either of it would be ok i think. The laser makes more sense since in reality, with that trap desing, there is no reason for the laser to be visible.

As is, it's ridiculous how many pointers a kapan trap has.

I'm all for removing the laser or making it as thin as the lasers on the guns. I think EMPs and Twitch do a good enough job at scouting out kapkan traps so it should work out well

Im looking at my co op stats and have like 1100 kills. I need 2500 for trophy

But the kills also show melee, headshots, etc.... is that in addition to overall kills? Or a breakdowm of total kills?

KodaRuss

Lame. I've been watching a couple streams today where guys have abandoned Buck in ranked because the DPS just isn't there and they're getting outgunned in every faceoff.

Yep, Frost is always taken but Buck is being left behind. A grip would help immensely for the automatic rifle. Too many other attackers that are more useful than him.

Yep, Frost is always taken but Buck is being left behind. A grip would help immensely for the automatic rifle. Too many other attackers that are more useful than him.

Isnt his ability amazing? Seems like he may be more about surprising enemies with kill holes

On the other end, I feel like Frost is too much

Being the last player alive and dying to a trap is too easy

I'm kinda feeling that way, too.

I get worried that Ubi is going to get DICE/BF syndrome, where the gadgets are less "is this a fun and balanced addition to the game?" and more "wouldn't it be cool if you could launch a flying, drone-controlled missile and instantly kill someone without any warning?"

I think we'll get a clearer picture once all players have access to Operators, though.

Isnt his ability amazing? Seems like he may be more about surprising enemies with kill holes

On the other end, I feel like Frost is too much

Being the last player alive and dying to a trap is too easy

Buck's okay. He's not as useful or flexible of an Op as someone like Sledge, but his guns do have some decent punch to them. He's kinda like a Jack of All Trades when it comes to just pure assault, but he's not good for much more than just pure assault. I think Buck is best suited to playing with someone that uses a shield, like Buck+Montagne/Fuze/Blitz so that he can be the gun for them.

I'm kinda feeling that way, too.

I get worried that Ubi is going to get DICE/BF syndrome, where the gadgets are less "is this a fun and balanced addition to the game?" and more "wouldn't it be cool if you could launch a flying, drone-controlled missile and instantly kill someone without any warning?"

I think we'll get a clearer picture once all players have access to Operators, though.

I just think that with the bear trap, they designed it to be way too powerful.

Instead of downing enemies and leaving them permanently on the ground for a teammate, they should have made it so that you could remove the trap yourself

This would at least stop frost from winning games when the last player is alive. Considering that she isnt really supposed to kill like kapkan, it's rather silly that she can end games much more reliably than kapkan, especially considering the versatile placement of her traps

I think taking damage and forcing you to remove the trap or stay immobilized would make frost much more fair.

This way, the last player still has a chance to win

Kapkan should be the only one to guarantee instant death and an instant win in those situations. Otherwise, what is his redeeming quality?

atr0cious

Ugh this game is getting worse. If I'm not waiting 5 minutes at a time for an error, I'm being dropped into last chance games down 2-0 which half the time were teams running from a tker.

Evolved1

Same people who want to nerf Frost want to buff Kapkan.

lol.

wat?

Klyka

Banned
Buck's shotgun is absolutely insane and his semi auto fires as fast as you pull the trigger.

He's a good operator,just not with much synergy.
He's all about getting them sweet kills.

Same people who want to nerf Frost want to buff Kapkan.

lol.

wat?

Kapkan has an incredible number of vulnerabilities and weaknesses that Frost does not.

Frost can end the game like Kapkan, yet her versatility makes her more reliable.

EMPs, drone phase, Shock drone, IQ all clean up Kapkan easily. A good attacking team will clean up electronics near an objective. Frost is immune to this

If a Kapkan places his traps further out, chances are that they are easily ridden of considering the number of entry points and how simple it is to destroy without worrying too much about getting caught off guard

Not only can bear trap avoid all these, but bear trap can close off areas (top of ladders) and instant kill rappelers (likely a bug). Kapkan cant even expect to kill rappelers because his blatant laser sight in the middle of the window and anchor tell attackers just what to expect

She's even more dangerous after downing an enemy. Downed enemies cant crawl to safety. They cant slow down bleed out time. With how spawning works in ranked for attackers, it can be a real pain to drop what youre doing and pick up your friend across the map. Sure, that's part of the game.

But it just feels like there are far too many direct and indirect benefits with the bear trap

Frost can be incredibly great without letting enemies bleed out totally. I dont see the harm in greatly injuring attackers without downing them. To me, it makes her the easy pick over Kapkan all the time

etta

my hard graphic balls
Buck's shotgun is absolutely insane and his semi auto fires as fast as you pull the trigger.

He's a good operator,just not with much synergy.
He's all about getting them sweet kills.
His name is Buck and he's here to fuck.

Keihart

If Frost is allowed to work as she is , Kapkan should be buffed.

If Kapkan's traps have a bright red laser and a red nail, Frost's welcome mats should be at least fluorescent or something.

I actually feel that Kapkan's laser bug is pretty legit to use since Frost's gadget are a thing now.

I rarely step on any of this traps, but as is, Frost is a lot better than Kapkan.

Buffing Kapkan's traps and nerfing Tacher's EMPs would also make IQ and Twitch a lot more escential operators, wich i find would be pretty cool.

So this just happened to me on Xbox

Mt6uNEV.jpg

Even after I died it was still there. Had to quit the match.

Edit: And my console just completely froze...

Kapkan's in a good place right now. You can recover from stepping on a welcome mat, but the blast radius and lethal effect of a Kapkan's trap is incredible.

Kapkan's trap forces players to exercise caution or risk killing multiple teammates. Frost's trap punishes players for being inattentive, but doesn't punish players to nearly the same extent.

I'm not a fan of the "remove the laser" or "remove the spike" arguments, because frankly, the "it'll buff IQ" claim is crap. It'd slow the game down far too much, and punish everyone for not sticking to IQ. If she dies, the game slows to a crawl as players meticulously make their way to the objective, and even if she doesn't, they're clustering on her in a way that risks the entire team. It's just a terrible idea all-around.

Frost has a pretty strong skill with a decent kit. Kapkan has a pretty decent skill with an extremely strong kit. I feel they're both fairly balanced as they are.

Keihart

Kapkan's in a good place right now. You can recover from stepping on a welcome mat, but the blast radius and lethal effect of a Kapkan's trap is incredible.

Kapkan's trap forces players to exercise caution or risk killing multiple teammates. Frost's trap punishes players for being inattentive, but doesn't punish players to nearly the same extent.

I'm not a fan of the "remove the laser" or "remove the spike" arguments, because frankly, the "it'll buff IQ" claim is crap. It'd slow the game down far too much, and punish everyone for not sticking to IQ. If she dies, the game slows to a crawl as players meticulously make their way to the objective, and even if she doesn't, they're clustering on her in a way that risks the entire team. It's just a terrible idea all-around.

Frost has a pretty strong skill with a decent kit. Kapkan has a pretty decent skill with an extremely strong kit. I feel they're both fairly balanced as they are.

So why is the spike on Kapkan's there? why a laser and a Spike?
There is no equivalent on frost's traps either.

They need to be careful with their abilities to make it so none of them feel like a cheap or easy way to get kills that are frustrating to be killed by. They've struck a good balance I think where you know it's hard for a kapkan or placed c4 or bear trap to get kills because they have obvious tells. If they make them invisible or something or make a new deployable that kills in one shot and is insanely hard to detect then they risk what happened in other games like Wolf ET where getting killed by landmines just felt cheap and like the enemy didn't 'earn' it like they would have with just a normal gun kill.

Right now it's good because if you die to a bear trap or kapkan trap (unglitched) you know it was because you weren't paying attention, and kills from those are rare enough that you know it's not some easy thing to do; the placer had to use some unique trick to get you to walk into it and that's fine.

I think in a 5v5 game like this, the vast majority of the kills should be gun fights, and abilities should augment those and change the flow of battle but not completely replace them for some Ops.

Evolved1

Kapkan isn't supposed to be getting kills all the time. He gets occasional kills, it's enough. Tripwire kills are cheap as fuck when they're glitched. Gadget is to deter or slow entry, and it works as intended. Pin and laser are smart design imo.

I'm all for removing the laser or making it as thin as the lasers on the guns. I think EMPs and Twitch do a good enough job at scouting out kapkan traps so it should work out well

Im looking at my co op stats and have like 1100 kills. I need 2500 for trophy

But the kills also show melee, headshots, etc.... is that in addition to overall kills? Or a breakdowm of total kills?
Pretty sure that is just a breakdown of your total kills. The total pve kills includes kills done in situations though, which don't count towards your trophy, so don't be surprised if you need more than 2500.

Keihart

I don't even feel cheated when i get killed by a invisible laser, because that was a 2 second check up i didn't and should have done.

Kapkan would be ok if Frost wasn't a thing, since those are the only 2 operators especialized in traps, i say either Kapkan is underpowered or Frost is over powered now.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I feel like the Welcome Mats are too strong right now because they lack audio tells, which separates it from most other defender devices of worth. They can be placed close enough to windows to make it almost impossible to see before you jump in, a problem multiplied tenfold when you're dealing with a dark room from the bright outside. They also have far less limitations than Kapkan's traps in terms of overall placement. If they were merely there to slow you down, like, say, barbed wire, I think they'd be fine without some audio cue letting alert operators know there's one close by. But as they stand, they might be a bit too good when you consider their ability to remove you from the battle instantly, even if someone can get to you before you bleed out.

A degree of awareness will go a long way in preventing you from getting caught in one, but I think it's worth mulling over their relative power compared to every other option currently available.

I feel like the Welcome Mats are too strong right now because they lack audio tells, which separates it from most other defender devices of worth. They can be placed close enough to windows to make it almost impossible to see before you jump in, a problem multiplied tenfold when you're dealing with a dark room from the bright outside. They also have far less limitations than Kapkan's traps in terms of overall placement. If they were merely there to slow you down, like, say, barbed wire, I think they'd be fine without some audio cue letting alert operators know there's one close by. But as they stand, they might be a bit too good when you consider their ability to remove you from the battle instantly, even if someone can get to you before you bleed out.

A degree of awareness will go a long way in preventing you from getting caught in one, but I think it's worth mulling over their relative power compared to every other option currently available.

Adding ability to get yourself out of them would balance them, IMO. Rather than having to have the help of someone else.

Frostburn

When you guys do the solo operations does the voice over lady start talking over herself at all? Like explaining what you are supposed to do and giving tips at the same time while the little video is playing? I feel like the game loads it too quickly so the stuff she'd normally say doing the loading gets overlaps with the specific tips for that operation but don't see it reported as a bug anywhere.

I would really welcome some GAFers to play Siege with on PC. It's such a pain playing with randoms who just don't care. I just started this week but I've been able to hold my own and I have a mic.

Uplay: Strikevillain

Evolved1

I have made a (very raw) video of the ghostman shit we've been dealing with. It's impossible. Never seen anything this prominent blow by cert in all my years of gaming. Not even in budget shooters. Not this blatant.

To tell the offense "there is a trap on this door, if you trip it, you will die. You can alert the enemy team to your location by destroying it, or you can ignore it and move on."

He's not supposed to get kills with those traps; a lot of people seem to have this misconception about him. Kapkan is at his strongest as a roamer, setting up traps and stalking the enemy. Use your gun to get the kills, not the mines.

Anyone who has played Call of Duty: Ghosts knows how miserable it is to be killed by an IED, and those were cancerous throughout the multiplayer. Automatic explosives are not fun, and good lord was that thing the epitome of it. If Ubisoft Montreal removed the spike, here's what would happen:

• The attackers would run out of time looking for the enemy time while searching every single door for a trap, potentially exposing themselves while they do.
  • People would die cheap deaths due to barricaded doors that look exactly like normal doors do, with nothing for an experience player to go by that would indicate "entering here is a bad idea."
  • People get killed by enemies camping on the other side of a booby-trapped door, killing anyone stopping to check for a trap.
People will complain about all of these. And before you use the same frickin' "it's an IQ buff!" argument, here's a few reasons why that won't work:
  • IQ's gadget only points out objects to her, and limits her ability to identify enemies clearly and effectively.
  • Allies would have to have IQ manually point out each individual trap, or risk death to one of the reasons I listed earlier.
  • If IQ dies, the game's pace slows to a crawl more dramatically than ever before. You thought losing Thermite was bad? At least you can come back from that; losing IQ would be the death of your team.
  • It would force Attackers to pick IQ every round, and Defenders to pick Kapkan. Everyone else is basically as usual. Operators your team has to rely on like a crutch are not good for a healthy meta.
  • If your team decided to split up, suddenly you've got one team moving at a snail's pace while the other is clearing with relative efficiency. That is, unless you decide to all flock to IQ, in which case congratulations, you all stack up on a single Operator; I hope you like nitro cells!
In other words, for want of a screw, the battle was lost.

Vorheez

You know, with all these issues people are encountering, maybe the game isn't receiving the behind the scenes support that we think it is getting? Maybe it has been sent out to die and Ubi is just saving face. I don't want to think that, but it's hard to explain this half assed patch and endless server issues people are having. Like, why not just dedicate the time and man hours to fix the fucking thing and get it over with? It's like they are pussy footing around it, and this is coming from someone who hasn't even had many issues with it online. I'm just frustrated that other people's experiences are spoiled because of some shitty customer service and business practices when we all know how great this game could be.

Animator

You know, with all these issues people are encountering, maybe the game isn't receiving the behind the scenes support that we think it is getting? Maybe it has been sent out to die and Ubi is just saving face. I don't want to think that, but it's hard to explain this half assed patch and endless server issues people are having. Like, why not just dedicate the time and man hours to fix the fucking thing and get it over with? It's like they are pussy footing around it, and this is coming from someone who hasn't even had many issues with it online. I'm just frustrated that other people's experiences are spoiled because of some shitty customer service and business practices when we all know how great this game could be.

I think you are onto something man! you should blog it.

With how complex games like this are do you think fixing the code is done overnight? Do you even understand how game dev works. Game had nothing but stellar support from devs. There is a new patch coming in a week.

Vorheez

With how complex games like this are do you think fixing the code is done overnight? Do you even understand how game dev works. Game had nothing but stellar support from devs. There is a new patch coming in a week.
Don't talk to me like I'm stupid. The bullshit issues that this new "patch" introduced are entirely unforgivable from a team of trained professionals whose JOB it is to produce these types of products. The fact that there are black silhouettes of Rook running around during my game is a testament to my point. Who the fuck missed that? As someone previously said, I have also never seen anything that bad in a game before. Someone was not doing their job properly or thoroughly.

You just sound like a fanboy.

I would really welcome some GAFers to play Siege with on PC. It's such a pain playing with randoms who just don't care. I just started this week but I've been able to hold my own and I have a mic.

Uplay: Strikevillain

Here is the discord PC siege gaf plays on: https://discord.gg/0g3xFvOWXdj7L0M3

Get the app or use the web client and check that out at nights at around 9-10 est, that's when people start joining and fill out groups.

Don't talk to me like I'm stupid. The bullshit issues that this new "patch" introduced are entirely unforgivable from a team of trained professionals whose JOB it is to produce these types of products. The fact that there are black silhouettes of Rook running around during my game is a testament to my point. Who the fuck missed that? As someone previously said, I have also never seen anything that bad in a game before. Someone was not doing their job properly or thoroughly.

You just sound like a fanboy.

Stuff like that sucks, but unlike you, it's not happened to me once. It'll get fixed, it's clearly not intentional, stop acting as if they are just bumbling around. Sounds like you need a break. The game definitely needs some patches though. It'll happen.

Deception

IMO, Frost's traps seem like a lazy addition to the game. The reason I say that is because all of the rest of the ops have gadgets that have well thought out counters and ways to get around them whereas Frost doesn't.

Here is an idea I have which could have worked better. The traps should be basically a supt up version of barbed wire those does a few things more.

1. The trap should stop you in your place but allow for the player to free themselves. This can either done with a button prompt or by a teammate shooting you free.
2. In terms of damage, I think having the trap do 50 damage on the initial trap and 10 damage per 3-5 seconds with a hit or miss button prompt would work very well.
3. Finally, to not make the trap useless once people get used to doing the button prompt, have the trap disable the use of sprint or rappeling after being freed. This would be realistic and add a movement penalty to being trapped.

Just my suggestion, what does everybody think of that?

Edit: Finally playing on Yacht!
Double edit: And of course it's 3v5 ranked.
Triple edit: And I got kicked for no reason!!

manhack

Kapkan isn't supposed to be getting kills all the time. He gets occasional kills, it's enough. Tripwire kills are cheap as fuck when they're glitched. Gadget is to deter or slow entry, and it works as intended. Pin and laser are smart design imo.

Exactly, it is the same reason Frost bear traps aren't deadly, because they would be OP as hell. They are already insanely good, probably due to the novelty.

You can only change Kapkan by making his traps non-lethal or by increasing the play time of the match without screwing with balance.

I don't even feel cheated when i get killed by a invisible laser, because that was a 2 second check up i didn't and should have done.

Kapkan would be ok if Frost wasn't a thing, since those are the only 2 operators especialized in traps, i say either Kapkan is underpowered or Frost is over powered now.

If the game was intentionally built like that then I would understand, but as it is, it's an exploit and anyone killed by it has the right to feel cheated. The glitch mostly plays on peoples understanding of how the game is supposed to work rather than being overly powerful in itself. But if a door is empty (no barricade) then the first 3 months of gameplay have taught us that we don't need to check around the edges, and this exploit punishes people for using that knowledge.

There are also certain places in maps like bank, where the walls you place them through are extra thick, causing the pin to be barely visible, those locations combined with the invisible laser make the trap very difficult to detect, even if you're being cautious.

Oh c'mon, let's stop the 'oh game dev is so hard' spiel, at the end of the day regardless of the circumstances, people have pre-paid for this service (buying the game and possibly even the season pass) and the have every right to want it to function as expected and advertised.

Ubisoft and the devs on Siege have been the absolute worst I have encountered in the video game industry, in a very long time. While it's great that they are clearly 'working on things', people have been left to wait several months to fix game breaking glitches (getting outside) and many issues that tarnish any hopes of this games competitive value are still present. They have had over 9 months to address these issues, yet people are still being shot, clipping through walls, people are still occasionally getting stuck on random objects, and for every issue resolved, another has cropped up.

Even though we are aware, game dev, and netcode is difficult, why is it only this game that managed to launch with 10 minute matchmaking times, aspects of the game that were fundamentally broken (getting outside), progression bugs (failure to sync) and other nonsense. Call of Duty, Star Wars Battlefront, Destiny, The Overwatch Beta, The Garden Warfare 2 Beta, why don't these other big games launch with similar issues? This is a game from Ubisoft, not an indy company, this isn't there first netcode outing and yet it feels that every Ubisoft game goes through the same shit. Normally it isn't that much of an issue because no one really cares. I mean, when Watch Dog's player versus player gameplay didn't work that well, there wasn't that much of an outcry, because it was hardly the reason people bought the game, yet this game is online only, and still floundering... understandably, people are going to be very disappointed with the support this game has been provided, at this stage.

Top Bottom