• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Went to a friend's BBQ yesterday my Siege friend who was there said I should show them a bit of Siege as most of them haven't played it yet. We loaded it up and got Hostge mode on Consulate. Had some nice kills the first few rounds which got them excited(and one major fail as Montagne)

For the final round I decide to use Valkyrie and the objective was in Visa Office. I decided to camp above in the room next to the offices above Visa. I decide to leave a camera in the room behind me and one in the hallway opposite so I can spot enemies coming from either side.

I then watched on it as a Thermite came through the window on in the office behind me. As soon as he was getting close to the reinforced ceiling I realized he was about to go into his arming animation so I came into the room and popped him, and then went back into the room with the wooden wall to camp out again and monitor the cams.

A few seconds later on the same camera I see another enemy come through another window in the same office room. He comes in and crouches by the wooden wall inside the office(the one I am behind). He sits there and starts to look around to scan the area and hope that the enemy that killed his teammate comes out again. I quickly tag him with my camera and pop a shotty shell through the wooden wall from the other side. Enemy gets downed. Me being the asshole that I am, I throw a C4 through the wall onto him.... walk back and blow it up sending his body and wood shards flying. My friends were bursting out laughing.

I think I've sold them all on the game. I've done my duty to promote this game SiegeGAF

Nice! This game really is special. Been having some great times with it the last few days after kind of a 'rut' and it's just reminding me how well designed it is despite it's issues. Branching out to other classes and weapons than I'm used to is always fun as well.

Anyway, here is a PSA for the PC players out there, use Ubisoft's Report form to report cheaters or griefers! It actually works, especially if you have some recorded footage you can link. They respond pretty fast and seem to take care of obvious stuff so if you see some people being racists/griefers/cheaters just get a quick clip and send it in. I love this game and don't want it see it destroyed by assholes so I think we as the community need to start our own policing in the lack of proper anti-cheat and server admins like you'd see in a normal community-server ran game.

Patch was released today for PC, consoles tomorrow. Minor balancing, a bunch of fixes.

EDIT: Oh, shield charms are in!

New Features
Shield charms are now available. Universal charms can now be used on shield-wielding Operators. This is applicable to universal charms that have already been bought!

General Tweaks and Improvements
Operator Balancing
Reworked Reloading with Shield Wielding Operators
We’ve disabled auto-reload on Blackbeard’s primary weapon when his shield is equipped. This will make Blackbeard’s gadget act in a similar way to other shield operators and will allow the player to decide when to reload.

We’ve fixed an issue where the pistol of a shield wielding operator will auto-reload after placing a gadget. This meant that the ballistic shield operator would be temporarily out of cover.

Gameplay Optimization
Positioning and Perspective Representation Improvements
More Accurate Gunfire Tracer Representation
Bullet tracers (white smoke lines that indicates where the bullet travels when fired) are now sourced from the 1st person model resulting in more accurate tracer representation. Previously, they were sourced from the 3rd person models, resulting in misleading gunfire situations when spectating or watching a teammate.

Character Positioning Fix
We’ve improved the character model positioning so that it no longer clips and passes through the deployable shield and barricade while prone. This will result in reducing incongruous positioning and giving unfair advantages to enemy players.

Rappel Clipping Exploit Fixes
On various locations on several maps, we’ve made it so that characters can no longer clip inside a wall being able to shoot enemies while in rappel.

Once you realize how it works, it's easier to understand enemy positions. I've never had trouble telling if someone is above or below me, though., just which side they're approaching from.

New headgear out. Some of the cooler ones:

Ser19bZ.jpg

hnCOO3X.jpg

CEQveWu.jpg

Shield chibi bobblehead.

I thought they werent going to mess with that because its a design choice (much like where the POV camera is located on body)?

Didn't see this post until now
Dumb decision, I think. Hell, the audio positioning in larger games like Battlefield is far better and useful.

Once you realize how it works, it's easier to understand enemy positions. I've never had trouble telling if someone is above or below me, though., just which side they're approaching from.

Heh
Im the opposite. I can tell the direction (front, left, right, and behind) but at times can have difficulty with the floor stuff and it usually ends up getting me killed.

I've yet to encounter the new Border map in ranked. I play three nights a week. It's beyond a joke, now after how many weeks?

Definiely agree on the terrible audio positioning in this game, too. There could be a window breach and I never know if it's happened in the very room I'm in or three rooms over. Ditto for footsteps.

Im the opposite. I can tell the direction (front, left, right, and behind) but at times can have difficulty with the floor stuff and it usually ends up getting me killed.

Definiely agree on the terrible audio positioning in this game, too. There could be a window breach and I never know if it's happened in the very room I'm in or three rooms over. Ditto for footsteps.

Make sure you understand how it works. It's not like BF, COD, etc.

Rainbow Six Siege has a sound propagation technology with behaves like it would in real life. You can gain a gameplay advantage by combining understanding of procedural destruction and sound propagation in order to locate your enemies.

In the end, audio is another piece of information that can be used to your advantage, if you know how to.

Also, remember that different surfaces have different sound qualities. The carpeted floor of Air Force One is going to be a lot quieter (and easy to sneak around on) than a hardwood floor. A floor with broken glass is even louder (which is why you may want to shatter shit around the objective or near your roaming hiding spot).

Here's another good guide/explanation.

I have no trouble understanding how it works, it's just terrible imo.

An example would be if I was sitting on the middle section of a stairway between two floors. If I hear someone approaching it can be difficult to determine which floor they're on.

Not if you have good headphones

-Deimos

I have no trouble understanding how it works, it's just terrible imo.

An example would be if I was sitting on the middle section of a stairway between two floors. If I hear someone approaching it can be difficult to determine which floor they're on.
I've never played a game that had good representation of audio coming from above or below. That isn't just a Siege issue.

Wish Ubisoft would add a 24/7 Playlist for maps just rotate them out everyday.

Agreed, there should be more playlist options beyond going into settings and manually turning off maps from rotation (which more often than not isn't effective with a lower playerbase). They need more accessibility options.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

New headgear out. Some of the cooler ones:

Must be EU thing? They aren't on the US store. The medieval ones are neat though. Wonder why they did that.

I feel like the audio is amazing. I don't have many issues with it(when I play solo with my headphones). Also in general most humans have trouble differentiating sound on a vertical plane while having less trouble on a horizontal plane(hence why Atmos isn't all that great of a upgrade for most enthusiasts)

Agreed, there should be more playlist options beyond going into settings and manually turning off maps from rotation (which more often than not isn't effective with a lower playerbase). They need more accessibility options.

Said it before and I'll say it again, it badly needs a map vote option at the start of each match. Works fine in other shooters and games of other genres.

Toggling the maps on or off seems to make fuck all difference unless all 10 players in a match have the exact same preferences. For example, all 5 of my crew have every single map except Border set to off and it still doesn't show up when we play.. It's so ridiculous. Works fine in T-hunt when it's just the 5 of us, though.

So supposedly there was meant to be Ranked Rewards for each season. Did anyone get anything in the last couple days?

If you mean at the start of this season, I got a Gold 'R6' charm because I was Gold ranked last season. But that was a while ago when Dust Line first dropped.

etta

my hard graphic balls
4 operators instantly, breh
Rest are unlockable through the grind.

- Instant Unlock:
2 random Operators from a pool of the most intuitive Operators at entry level: Rook, Sledge, Ash, Fuze, Mute, and Smoke.
600 R6 Credits to spend on either additional Operators (recommended) or other additional content

- Instant Unlock:
2 random Operators from a pool of the most intuitive Operators at entry level: Rook, Sledge, Ash, Fuze, Mute, and Smoke.
600 R6 Credits to spend on either additional Operators (recommended) or other additional content

Don't you dare try to correct me, Mike! After all that carrying I did last night...

I think its a great idea and deters the base game from dropping greatly in value. It can't go below $20 basically considering starter is $15. Even at full price Siege was worth its value in spades. It's a shame so many gamers don't understand it and only look at the visuals.

Most people are really terrible at being useful with Valkyrie. Not using all of their cameras or just putting them in the same range as the default cameras. Such a waste.

I need to get back into this game. So much stuff right now though, Total Warhammer, Blood and Wine, Overwatch, UC4 MP.

I like to throw Valkyrie cameras through the glass and onto the roof so we can spot where they are coming in from. It worked great on Kafe? I think. Whichever one has the room with the Xmas tree and piano.

Most people are really terrible at being useful with Valkyrie. Not using all of their cameras or just putting them in the same range as the default cameras. Such a waste.

Throwing them in the same area as an existing cam can be a good strategy, since a lot of players just take out the known cam and then think they're safe.

My peeve is players not throwing them all or just putting them in the objective room. I can understand it with some of the bigger objective rooms (like Kafe kitchen) as it can really help, but most of the time, it's wasted.

I need to get back into this game. So much stuff right now though, Total Warhammer, Blood and Wine, Overwatch, UC4 MP.

I like to throw Valkyrie cameras through the glass and onto the roof so we can spot where they are coming in from. It worked great on Kafe? I think. Whichever one has the room with the Xmas tree and piano.

Yeah, usually I will place them:

-1-3 Outside of objective, usually around choke points or common approaches
-1 outside of the actual building

Occasionally I'll keep one for myself if I'm roaming, too.

As I've been running IQ now the interior placed cameras are harder to deal with, exterior ones you can take your time and do a run around of the building to get them all before your team gets in to deny them info. Interior ones I have to scan and just make a mental note of which hallway they are in then call out to my teammates when I see them going that way to get the camera. It'd be too dangerous to sweep the building for them without getting taken out by a roamer.

RedRum

Banned
Question guys, is it worth it to pick up this game if you're completely new? I want to pick it up today but it feels as though I will be a lowly player against vets with the best gear.

Question guys, is it worth it to pick up this game if you're completely new? I want to pick it up today but it feels as though I will be a lowly player against vets with the best gear.

You'll be fine. Ranked is full of people who know maps inside and out but Casual is still just that, for the most part.

Further up the page, the $15 version is discussed, so that's an option, too.

Muddimar

I've seen the $15 version mentioned, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea? From what you guys are saying, I'm conflicted. Is it worth it?

I've seen the $15 version mentioned, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea? From what you guys are saying, I'm conflicted. Is it worth it?

Honestly the game is so good that you should just get the regular version. It's a Uplay game on PC so you can find cheap keys for it. The increased grind with the starter edition will be a pain in the ass if you decide you like the game, whereas it's pretty much a non issue with the standard edition.

But if you are really on the fence and the choice is either the starter version or not playing it at all then I'd say go for it because the game really is special.

Starter Edition sounds fantastic, assume it's only for PC though?

Had an incredible moment tonight where our Montagne ran into the objective room and started capturing while the sole remaining enemy struggling to get past his shield as he was blocking the doorway. Somehow their Bandit slipped past tho and for LITERALLY TWO MINUTES they both just circled each other in the office complex on the Harbour map. Absolutely incredible. Friends and I had time to formally place bets. I bet Montagne would bite it trying to reload and he did, and as Bandit approached him to execute him, he noticed Montagne was crawling towards the Kapkan trap next to him and only just shot him before they both went out in a blaze of glory and made a Tie. Was fucking amazing, love this game haha

My friend and I quite baffled that Ranked seems to be filled with relatively low level people both on our own team and enemies ( < level 100), while Casual is dominated by full squads of communicating lvl 130+ guys. Really strange situation.

Detox

My friend and I quite baffled that Ranked seems to be filled with relatively low level people both on our own team and enemies ( < level 100), while Casual is dominated by full squads of communicating lvl 130+ guys. Really strange situation.
If you're on PC it's probably becuase they don't want to face hackers.

Top Bottom