• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

HiiiLife

I might not be seeing it but when I go into options for map preferences i see only 10. Aren't there supposed to be 11 maps?

One thing that's been gradually bugging me the more I play: headshots.

At first I thought, it's great to have a game that's realistic, and the one-shot headshot kills make the experience feel more visceral and tense. But in reality, I feel that these induce sizable element of luck to the gunfights, and that I don't like.

For instance, with the people I was playing with, on one round, two of us were headshot by a guy using a pistol and shield. I was headshot by his first bullet fired, and this instantly killed me.

Similarly, a lot of the SMGs see these 'random' headshots influence their engagements to a great deal. Realistically, after the first few rounds its difficult to pinpoint the exact location of the subsequent rounds fired, so there's little skill involved in netting the headshot... but they regularly happen. People spraying SMG fire, will get one bullet that catches your head and suddenly your not just down, but dead. Due to sheer luck they are rewarded not only with a kill, but an instant execution.

I think thematically it fits the game well, but mechanically, I can see why most games do not opt for one-shot headshot kills or excessively high headshot multipliers. It doesn't make me hate the game or anything, but I feel like it adds quite a bit of luck to the gunfights which doesn't need to be there.

Deception

The one gripe I can about the game is a lack of game modes, which i agree with but the maps honestly each one plays completely different each round depending on the position of the objective so the game actually has 33+ different experiences to offer in terms of multiplayer. I can say I have yet to have a game that has played out the same and that's the most redeeming quality so far.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

At first I thought, it's great to have a game that's realistic, and the one-shot headshot kills make the experience feel more visceral and tense. But in reality, I feel that these induce sizable element of luck to the gunfights, and that I don't like.

For instance, with the people I was playing with, on one round, two of us were headshot by a guy using a pistol and shield. I was headshot by his first bullet fired, and this instantly killed me.

Similarly, a lot of the SMGs see these 'random' headshots influence their engagements to a great deal. Realistically, after the first few rounds its difficult to pinpoint the exact location of the subsequent rounds fired, so there's little skill involved in netting the headshot... but they regularly happen. People spraying SMG fire, will get one bullet that catches your head and suddenly your not just down, but dead. Due to sheer luck they are rewarded not only with a kill, but an instant execution.

I think thematically it fits the game well, but mechanically, I can see why most games do not opt for one-shot headshot kills or excessively high headshot multipliers. It doesn't make me hate the game or anything, but I feel like it adds quite a bit of luck to the gunfights which doesn't need to be there.

I agree with you. Almost exact same thoughts.

Something I considered, but it makes no logical sense... and probably would never happen. But only pistol headshots are one-hit kills? Still gives an advantage. But you'd get rid of that spray and pray.

This game is a campers paradise. And I agree about the head shots. There's no real way to know if you will pull one off or if you will just drop.

HiiiLife

Jesus. If what I'm reading on Reddit is true, you have to get
all stars in Situations to unlock this map called Harvard... And that's the 11th map.

Now I have a reason to play it.

I feel this is OP worthy (if true) and not enough people know about this lol.

11th map HARVARD SOMEONE ON GAF CONFIRM IF ITS ONLY TH OR PEOPLE CAN PLAY IT ON PVP PLZZZZZZZZZ

Edit: is it a campaign mission...??

Pachimari

Are any of you in here getting together "every" night to play some multiplayer? I mean, like a set group of people? And do you communicate via voice?

I'm strongly thinking about getting this one for PC, as Rainbow Six 3 is one of my favorite games.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Good games tonight fellas, fun stuff. I'll be on the same time tomorrow.

Yeah man, had a blast! I'll be on again tomorrow.

Are any of you in here getting together "every" night to play some multiplayer? I mean, like a set group of people? And do you communicate via voice?

I'm strongly thinking about getting this one for PC, as Rainbow Six 3 is one of my favorite games.

See above :)

Skel1ingt0n

Anybody on PC right now that wants to play for ~45 minutes before bed?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lol I remember that, that last peak at the end was awesome.

My non knowledge of the maps showed by breaching a wall that lead to nowhere lol.

Yeah we're all still learning it... I need to stop hitting melee when I just want to lean. Sometimes it cancels my reload even! lol

-Deimos

Added my name to the spreadsheet and everyone on PC NA to friends.

How is it that I still haven't played a match on Plane? Unacceptable.

bigDave

Jesus. If what I'm reading on Reddit is true, you have to get
all stars in Situations to unlock this map called Harvard... And that's the 11th map.

Now I have a reason to play it.

I feel this is OP worthy (if true) and not enough people know about this lol.

11th map HARVARD SOMEONE ON GAF CONFIRM IF ITS ONLY TH OR PEOPLE CAN PLAY IT ON PVP PLZZZZZZZZZ

Edit: is it a campaign mission...??

i can confirm, you don't need to collect every star, just complete all 10 situations and it will be unlocked.

it's a coop mission, like TH but with an intro and outro

bigDave

you mean like this headshot i made yesterday?

http://gfycat.com/IllinformedDecentAsianpiedstarling

GrizzNKev

Banned
Really liking this game, even though I get rekt pretty consistently. It'll drive me to get better, which is exactly what I want from video games.

Vex_

Banned
Question for those that have this game: are the maps randomly generated?

Otherwise, would this mean that after awhile everyone would know the best spots to hide and place c4? Not really tactical when you're just memorizing a map.

Is there ANY element of randomness? Spawns? Amount of hostages? Placement of hostages?

Or is it the same stuff every match?

Seems like a missed opportunity if true.

Otherwise, would this mean that after awhile everyone would know the best spots to hide and place c4? Not really tactical when you're just memorizing a map.

Is there ANY element of randomness? Spawns? Amount of hostages? Placement of hostages?

There are random spawns for the objectives like the bomb or hostage.

This is why you have a recon stage before the round starts where you send in the drones looking for the objective.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

The location of objectives is randomly selected from a set of predetermined locations. However, the sheer number of counter-tactics that come into play from the various characters may help keep encounters from getting tiresome. We'll see how it goes in the long run!

Karak

Styygian on PC Westcoast USA feel free to add on uplay

Tonight was great. Got to play against a gaffer or two randomly as well.

Brockxz

Random objective spawn and also there are different mix of defender operators that can counter your abilities. Most likely those who play always together will work out what is the best operator setup for every map and every game mode but I don't think that will be a problem because not always defenders are near objective. The good tactic for defending is at least one person to be somewhere more outside of objective zone and get behind attackers. I've seen this happen a lot that attackers get killed by someone who flanks them when they are focused on getting to objective.

Skel1ingt0n

Just had a blast with four other guys losing like six games in a row.

It's now 1:30 in the morning. First shooter to keep me up way past my bedtime in several years.

213372bu

Banned
Randomly dying from drops that I've survived multiple times is annoying.

Cash bonus and tying tons of attachments and classes behind paywalls* is annoying.

Grinding matches out for competitive though most of the team rage quits if they lose the first round or leaves pre-match is annoying.

Lots of stuff could use improving, but I'm sure I can find more fun in the game like I did my first two rounds tomorrow.

* Referring to in-game credits

Animator

Cash bonus and tying tons of attachments and classes behind paywalls is annoying.

There is nothing in the game behind a pay wall other than two shitty camos. Not sure where you are getting "classes and attachments behind a paywall" thing since you CANT use real money to unlock any of that, you have to use reknown which you get only by playing the game.

The only thing real money gets you is boosts and camo packs. None of which effect gameplay.

213372bu

Banned
There is nothing in the game behind a pay wall other than two shitty camos. Not sure where you are getting "classes and attachments behind a paywall" thing since you CANT use real money to unlock any of that, you have to use reknown which you get only by playing the game.

The only thing real money gets you is boosts and camo packs. None of which effect gameplay.

I meant in-game points.

It serves for lots of people stacking on attack or defend and teammates going to a default class.

DMTripper

Is this game noob friendly? I'm on PC and getting my PC back tomorrow after a new SSD has been fitted. I still have to look at the keyboard to see what I'm pressing sometimes :-|

Although I have done OK on arma 3, not great but OK. Getting destroyed in BF4 tho :-( it seems the more pressure I'm under the more mistakes I make!

Brockxz

Is this game noob friendly? I'm on PC and getting my PC back tomorrow after a new SSD has been fitted. I still have to look at the keyboard to see what I'm pressing sometimes :-|

Although I have done OK on arma 3, not great but OK. Getting destroyed in BF4 tho :-( it seems the more pressure I'm under the more mistakes I make!

Maybe later for you when you are more comfortable with k+m. There are too much intense moments.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Yes and no.

I'm terrible at Battlefield, Call of Duty, and the like. Always get destroyed.

Was struggling at R6 initially as well, but succeeding here is less about twitch and more about utilizing the tools you've been provided. Learning the strategies and executing can lead to success and it's super fun.

It's not an easy game, but it's fun to learn.

Just played another match. I usually get so annoyed trying to cover multiplayer games but, man, this is amazing. I can't believe how good this is. I discovered that once you hit level 5 you can run a custom game and select your map. So it's possible to run around without enemies for capture purposes. Just means I have to get up to level 5 on three platforms. Already did that on XO and PS4, now onto PC!

Top Bottom