• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So, haven't played this game in a couple months. Decided to come back for a little bit today. Obviously, I was rusty AF and barely scraped together a kill here or there.

That said, what the fuck has happened in regard to defense shooting attackers at spawn.

Seriously, every.single.game this was happening. And on both sides, it almost ALWAYS ended up with attackers having to go 4v5 in the first 10 seconds. I mean, seriously - ten full games, and had to happen in 90% of the rounds of seven or eight of those games. It's just a freebie kill. I tried it, and sure enough - easy kill.

Am I missing something? Have I just had a really bad bout of luck? I can't say so - because it worked in our benefit on defense half the time.

So, haven't played this game in a couple months. Decided to come back for a little bit today. Obviously, I was rusty AF and barely scraped together a kill here or there.

That said, what the fuck has happened in regard to defense shooting attackers at spawn.

Seriously, every.single.game this was happening. And on both sides, it almost ALWAYS ended up with attackers having to go 4v5 in the first 10 seconds. I mean, seriously - ten full games, and had to happen in 90% of the rounds of seven or eight of those games. It's just a freebie kill. I tried it, and sure enough - easy kill.

Am I missing something? Have I just had a really bad bout of luck? I can't say so - because it worked in our benefit on defense half the time.

I am surprised this wasn't happening earlier on. It always seemed like a valid strategy that wasn't being utilized enough. I am not sure attackers have something they can counter with though.

I am surprised this wasn't happening earlier on. It always seemed like a valid strategy that wasn't being utilized enough. I am not sure attackers have something they can counter with though.

Not in some cases. Some spawn points are really bad and attackers are literally in the open getting picked off from defenders or there is a window defense can use and get a couple kills like in Back Alley in Bank. Attackers can pick off one or two if they know the spots but usually, you have to die to them first because there are plenty of ways to exploit those spawns. Most of the time it is just a crack in the barricade you have to look out for.

I barely had this game for a month and Im already able to harass attackers with most of the spots I know. Just today, I chipped off over half the teams health just from running to a balcony on bank and running away and a teammate finished off over half the team with me getting the assists. It's really dirty, but it's almost necessary because Plat ranked and above will use it against you no matter how "fair" you are.

Fury451

Banned
Not in some cases. Some spawn points are really bad and attackers are literally in the open getting picked off from defenders or there is a window defense can use and get a couple kills like in Back Alley in Bank. Attackers can pick off one or two if they know the spots but usually, you have to die to them first because there are plenty of ways to exploit those spawns. Most of the time it is just a crack in the barricade you have to look out for.

I barely had this game for a month and Im already able to harass attackers with most of the spots I know. Just today, I chipped off over half the teams health just from running to a balcony on bank and running away and a teammate finished off over half the team with me getting the assists. It's really dirty, but it's almost necessary because Plat ranked and above will use it against you no matter how "fair" you are.

House is one of the worst for this. Happens nearly every round I've played.

Busting out the kitchen windows has been one of the most common go-to methods.

House is one of the worst for this. Happens nearly every round I've played.

Busting out the kitchen windows has been one of the most common go-to methods.

There are other spots people use as well. You're not safe on any spot on that map if they guessed right on where you spawned.

I dont really agree with your assessment.

Thing is, a defending team tries this once, and then they are really fucked if they try it again. And since attackers have Assault Rifles, they usually have the advantage.

If your team is constantly getting spawn killed, then they aren't learning to anticipate spawn kills. They could be new, or you could be playing casual where the spawns are randomized (which is a really dumb feature for casual).

The second you spawn as an attacker, you are fair game. You need to approach carefully, and choose a less popular spawn if defenders are prone to spawn killing. Use smoke grenades too.

I often find that when we start a round and have an attacker immediately picked off, the entire team goes on high alert for every round after. That alone stops spawn killing and encourages smarter attacking. I rarely try spawn killing more than once.

There is also enough cover and options on most maps that it's not an issue. They also patched spawning too, as before, it was definitely bad.

There is still one spot, I think on Bank, that is an absolute unfair deathtrap. You literally die right as you spawn, but I dont know if they patched that.

Most of the spawns are not like that, and simply require the attackers to approach cautiously

moai

the only map where this a little unfair is the bank when you spawn on the back. you have very little time to react if a defender has gone out and finds the attacking team on the alley. also this provokes many teamkills because people that spawn behind you tend to fire. i tend to go prone inmediatly when i spawn there and i have been able to pick the defender this way.
on other maps you just have to look for windows and we tend to pick one or two defenders this way. for the other rounds they think about it twice if you do this.
another strategy is to keep your drone near the windows or doors close to spawn points and alert your team about defenders waiting to go out or looking through windows.for example house the window that covers the garage, or bank the main entrance or back door. you just get your drone there and wait.

KodaRuss

I dont think the spawn killing is that bad but it happens a lot now. You just have to take your time and not sprint as soon as you spawn. On ranked make sure you are picking the safe spawn spots and make sure you check windows before you proceed.

There is always an idiot on my team when I am not in a group that wants to sprint as soon as the match starts and gets picked off.

EDIT:
Thinking about going for the Platinum on this so that means a lot more Terrorist Hunt. I have a ways to go almost 1k kills and I have 46 penetration kills, those are the two trophies I do not have.

Anyone have any tips for that?

yeah the spawn killing is something thats become a lot more common recently it's gotten pretty easy to work around though and if you know the windows they tend to shoot from you can clock one or two of them before they get a chance to do much my friends and I have done it once or twice.

The other team usually backs down after you kill an attempted spawn killer. Just stay behind cover and leapfrog your way to the building using suppressing fire at the windows.

I dont really agree with your assessment.

Thing is, a defending team tries this once, and then they are really fucked if they try it again. And since attackers have Assault Rifles, they usually have the advantage.

If your team is constantly getting spawn killed, then they aren't learning to anticipate spawn kills. They could be new, or you could be playing casual where the spawns are randomized (which is a really dumb feature for casual).

The second you spawn as an attacker, you are fair game. You need to approach carefully, and choose a less popular spawn if defenders are prone to spawn killing. Use smoke grenades too.

I often find that when we start a round and have an attacker immediately picked off, the entire team goes on high alert for every round after. That alone stops spawn killing and encourages smarter attacking. I rarely try spawn killing more than once.

There is also enough cover and options on most maps that it's not an issue. They also patched spawning too, as before, it was definitely bad.

There is still one spot, I think on Bank, that is an absolute unfair deathtrap. You literally die right as you spawn, but I dont know if they patched that.

Most of the spawns are not like that, and simply require the attackers to approach cautiously

The problem isn't with people's awareness. Its from the amount of places people can get hit from. If anyone plays any highly ranked team or player, they will see that they can get hit from the multiple places at the same spawn point. Someone pointed out house, but Clubhouse has it really bad too if you spawn near garage spawn where you can get easily killed from two spots if you don't check them. Kafe has a ton of windows you can get hit from and this is with any spawn there with an addition to some players running out from the garage area and killing players that spawn at garage before they can get the "Enemy Outside" notification. Oregon's Construction site spawn location also can be attacked by the enemy.

I'm saying this as someone who, after a month of playing, already has deferred people from spawning at certain spots by sniping them from an unchecked window multiple times even when they are totally aware that I am there.

An easy fix to this is to provide more initial cover for attackers and moving spawn locations to a safer spot where defenders can't simply run out and get a couple cheap kills with little to no penalty.

For reference on what I am talking about on Kafe, and overall, here is a video of someone doing that exact thing. Do note that there are wayyy more spots on that map you can get hit from.

Dysun

Spawn killing is always a thing in higher level games. I've been trying to push Diamond for months and I see this almost every game on every map that its an option. More cover and locking defenders into the building for another 5 seconds after start might be a good fix

flkraven

the only map where this a little unfair is the bank when you spawn on the back. you have very little time to react if a defender has gone out and finds the attacking team on the alley. also this provokes many teamkills because people that spawn behind you tend to fire. i tend to go prone inmediatly when i spawn there and i have been able to pick the defender this way.
on other maps you just have to look for windows and we tend to pick one or two defenders this way. for the other rounds they think about it twice if you do this.
another strategy is to keep your drone near the windows or doors close to spawn points and alert your team about defenders waiting to go out or looking through windows.for example house the window that covers the garage, or bank the main entrance or back door. you just get your drone there and wait.

IMO Kafe Dostoyevsky is the fucking worst for spawn killers, especially on casually with the random spawning. Caviera will just destroy the garage door and stand right on the edge of outside. The second the round starts she takes two steps forward, and strafes two steps left and boom, she is looking at all 5 attackers withing smg range. The annoying thing is that she gets there before the attackers are even full loaded and oriented, so you just spawn in to a headshot. They should extend the period of time that a defender isn't allowed to go outside by another 10 seconds after the round starts.

KodaRuss

Anyone got any gifs or short vids I can use to convince my friend to buy this?

Just get him to watch a Macie Jay or Serenity17 video. Here are a couple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZEDHirDqKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0lsp3WfMhM

I guess the German Operators are getting a challenge this week but you have to win 20 and 30 rounds for the German flag and a pretzel charm. I really want that damn pretzel charm and fortunately I really like the German operators.

http://imgur.com/Dry8MM6

Just get him to watch a Macie Jay or Serenity17 video. Here are a couple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZEDHirDqKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0lsp3WfMhM

I guess the German Operators are getting a challenge this week but you have to win 20 and 30 rounds for the German flag and a pretzel charm. I really want that damn pretzel charm and fortunately I really like the German operators.

http://imgur.com/Dry8MM6

Nice Youtube suggestions. Definitely need to learn some more spots since I went from manning the objective to roaming outside it with Pulse.

KodaRuss

I saw that today, I think I am going to get it also. By far their best Frost headgear.

EDIT:

Yaphett Kotto said:
Nice Youtube suggestions. Definitely need to learn some more spots since I went from manning the objective to roaming outside it with Pulse.

I will say one thing about Macie is that his transitions from clip to clip are a thing of beauty sometimes. He busts down a door from one clip to the next seamlessly. You are like "Woah, alright we have left Hereford and have entered House..."

ty_hot

Are the servers still full? I'm thinking about picking it up, but wanted to be sure.

I would take the standard edition, no season pass, no extra ingame credits, no nothing. I see maps and extras are free to everybody, but I'm just afraid about the ingame money. Will other players have a big advantage against me?

I miss R6, the last one I played was Vegas, but I players it a lot ooh the pc a long time ago.

Are the servers still full? I'm thinking about picking it up, but wanted to be sure.

I would take the standard edition, no season pass, no extra ingame credits, no nothing. I see maps and extras are free to everybody, but I'm just afraid about the ingame money. Will other players have a big advantage against me?

I miss R6, the last one I played was Vegas, but I players it a lot ooh the pc a long time ago.

This game is more popular then it was when it came out across all platforms. You should be fine with standard.

HiiiLife

Someone should just update the OP to say the game is still popular because the question is asked every page lol.

R6 Siege is live and well.

KodaRuss

Someone should just update the OP to say the game is still popular because the question is asked every page lol.

R6 Siege is live and well.

Probably but do those people read the OP or do they just hit the last page and post?

Working on the German Challenges I have 12 wins so far already! Blitz is fucking everyone up in Casual tonight haha.

ty_hot

Probably but do those people read the OP or do they just hit the last page and post?

Working on the German Challenges I have 12 wins so far already! Blitz is fucking everyone up in Casual tonight haha.

I know you are saying in general, but I did read it (reason why I knew the maps were free for everybody). btw, what a shit hugely overpriced season pass is this? lol

I am putting my Destiny on sale today, hope I can get at least 20 euros in my limited edition. I am still thinking if it's better to get the 25 euro digital version from PS Store or look for a used game disc (that I could resell later, thus costing less in the long term).

I know you are saying in general, but I did read it (reason why I knew the maps were free for everybody). btw, what a shit hugely overpriced season pass is this? lol

I am putting my Destiny on sale today, hope I can get at least 20 euros in my limited edition. I am still thinking if it's better to get the 25 euro digital version from PS Store or look for a used game disc (that I could resell later, thus costing less in the long term).

Yah.......it definitely is.

I managed to grab it for a few bucks off MSRP and I've found it worth it and I'm just crossing 40 hours worth of gameplay in it.

At 25k renown her DLC operator, that is an incredible amount of time to put into grinding and unlocking that I was more than happy to skip over.

flkraven

I didn't buy the season pass. Got the game about a month and a half ago. I have all the regular operators, the 2x25K operators I wanted, plenty of skins, all the gun attachments I want, and I'm still sitting on like 30K renown (saving up until the new operators are revealed).

IMO Rainbow Six Siege is the gold standard of how FPS should model the season pass vs microtransaction balance.

Tangeroo

I didn't buy the season pass. Got the game about a month and a half ago. I have all the regular operators, the 2x25K operators I wanted, plenty of skins, all the gun attachments I want, and I'm still sitting on like 30K renown (saving up until the new operators are revealed).

IMO Rainbow Six Siege is the gold standard of how FPS should model the season pass vs microtransaction balance.

Agreed. I've had the game about a month and I've got all the standard operators and 3 of the 25k operators. Granted, I've been playing an obscene amount and the free boosters from Ubisoft for the server outages have helped a lot. I liked it so much, I even bought a second copy on PS4 (first was on PC) and I already unlocked my first 25k operator.

I'm definitely a better player on PS4 but I like the community on PC better. I've been TK'd and voted to be removed (presumably for picking someone's favorite operator) on PS4 way more often than PC.

The only problem I have with the payment model is that you still have things that can only be bought with a secondary currency that actually means real money.

Even if it was hella expensive and time consuming, it'd be nice to be able convert renown into the other currency.

OG Kush

Cafe dostovesky can such my left testicle. Really dislike that map, especially when everyone just picks the train museum defence spot.

KodaRuss

Cafe dostovesky can such my left testicle. Really dislike that map, especially when everyone just picks the train museum defence spot.

Yeah, the trick is to take control of the third floor and blow up the floor and work on picking them off from above. Possibly have another person in the dining room watching through the fireplace so you can pick them off when they try to reposition.

Make sure you place claymores on the third floor so you can stop roamers.

EDIT:

I think I am going to put my collection of bullshit hit detection/kill cams onto a YouTube video next week. There were a couple last night that were just awful that I saved.

psyfi

Banned
How's the community on XB1? My XB1S arrives tomorrow and I'd really like to get into this game, but won't bother if the population is flatlining. Anyone here play the XB1 version often?

How's the community on XB1? My XB1S arrives tomorrow and I'd really like to get into this game, but won't bother if the population is flatlining. Anyone here play the XB1 version often?

Game is totally healthy on every platform it's been gaining players at this point, not losing.

KodaRuss

Cool, thanks for the answer. Are there many XB1 players here? Being in the minority platform for multiplat game threads gets really old, lol.

There are some. This OT is fairly quiet though. The best way I have met people to play with is just in game and use a Mic all the time.

I had two different people in two different matches team kill me last night. One as soon as we spawned on defence and the other about 30 seconds into attack.

I've not played for a while, is this just the way it is...

Top Bottom