• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

$35? Definitely. The randoms I've run into are actually pretty swell. For the most part.

Randoms have been fine so far. Only exception was one game with some idiot who was deliberately team killing. Otherwise it seems most people know what is up and what they need to do in this game.

Shocks you when you go to breach charge the wall.

And prevents the charge from being activated. Even if they do decide to withstand the shocks.

Enemys cant place breachs , very effective
Or place jammer too

Shock wire kills drone, or dmg enemy

Think you can even slap it on deployable shield lol

I think jammer is better for the walls, as on the smaller ones you can jam two walls with one jammer, and mute has 4 jammers, so you can jam 8 walls compared to bandits 3.

Bandit is better for killing drones than mute is though. It's too easy to jump the jammers and the signal interference gives you a warning that they're nearby. Though mute can place out jammers faster...

I guess mute is a better character, overall, since the actual damage from shock is very rarely substantial and he has extra amour which I tend to appreciate more than mobility.

You can get kills with bandit by placing shockwire at the bottom of skylight rappel points though. There's usually shrubbery at the bottom so people often miss the electrowire.

They need to do something about katchaka(sp) traps, no one with half a brain is going to fall for them when they are so obvious.

I kicked open a door last night that was nowhere near the objective and then tripped one. I don't think I've ever felt so stupid in my life.

I think the three biggest issues to tackle now are:

1) Netcode/Tick Rate
2) Trap visibility
3) IQ special ability

2 and 3 go hand in hand. If traps become harder to spot IQ becomes more valuable. It's really a testament to how great the game is that there seems to be little needed to balance out. Just a few operators feel underpowered. I can't really think of any that are OP either.

Did they come in one message or two separate messages?

If I don't get it by tonight I will contact them.

One message, it had 2 buttons under it to redeem codes. But for Gears ultimate I got 3 different messages each with one code. The code messages seem to be a bit random.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
People complaining aboud random headshot ohk's... I am not in that camp.

I hope ubi doesn't cave to pressure on that. Those complaints are not coming from the OG Rainbow players. It's bleedover from modern shooters and those players thinking their skill should get them through a 1v1 or whatever. And that is completely missing the point of Rainbow combat. Imo anyway.

Soktos

Had some absolutely amazing games earlier today with soctos. Highlight for me was us crouching next to and hugging the hostage and the enemy gunning him down as soon as they enter. I am still laughing about it. :D

This. Laughed so hard.

I think when we use the "drop a shield by the hostage" tactic, it only serves to protect the hostage from fire, which is probably more of a detriment. I haven't seen anyone mistake the hostage for a player yet.

But man, when you get a group of 5 working together, coordinating on mics, playing against an equally skilled team... there is just nothing like it. So fun. Here's hoping the devs do whatever it takes to keep this game going strong.

Also, this game, overall, isn't that pretty...but some of the effects work is outstanding. Game is at its most "beautiful" when the assault begins and shit hits the fan, IMO.

The AA is terrible on anything other than max and it dithers distant objects a bit more than I'd like. U.I. Is okay, the lack of a map is a big oversight though. I don't need a mini-map, but I'd like to be able to pull out a map whenever I want to coordinate with my team better.

But it does do some things very well. I like how lighting works in this game. How if it's very bright out, it's hard to see into a buildings windows/doorways giving a real purpose to Glaz's scope or how when an assault starts the smoke and debris from walls/doors/breeches will fill a room. The audio is a definite high point as well, the way sound propagation works is very well done and the sound effects of weapons and environments are mostly pretty good if bordering on the unrealistic(I wonder when a dev will actually use the sound of a real silencer in a game). It also runs very well on my PC at 1440p and I'm grateful for that.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the presentation.

and wheeeeeere is it 35ish at?

GMG has it for $40 if you have a PC.

I was playing with a buddy last night who just got the game, showing him the ropes and stuff.

I ended up making a highlight reel from some of the matches. All of these are from last night and I've included commentary.

Video

Let me know what you think, as I actually might make some more Siege vids. :)

At first I didn't like it, but now I kinda love that you get the option of matchmaking with a different team after a round vs playing the same team.

It kinda speaks to the core of the game, at its best. When we were losing to this team last night, and eventually lost the game, we decided to play them again to REGAIN OUR HONOR.

However, there was also another team that was just thoroughly stomping us. Instead of getting stuck against them, round-after-round (and likely getting stomped as often), we just let matchmaking do its thing.

Not sure if this is common in many other shooters, but I like it.

Real talk - is this worth $35ish if you'll mostly be playing with randoms?

Oh, absolutely. The trick may be finding a good team of randoms that uses their mics, but even without it, the game is a lot of fun online.

I loved Vegas, but they really didn't feel like Rainbow games to me.

Same. Had a lot of fun with those games, but they were never R6 to me.

I was playing with a buddy last night who just got the game, showing him the ropes and stuff.

I ended up making a highlight reel from some of the matches. All of these are from last night and I've included commentary.

Video

Let me know what you think, as I actually might make some more Siege vids. :)
I don't know how I know Sir MJC, but he's in your video and now my friend list. Just a weird coincidence. I think I know him. I think? Haha.

Gaz_RB

People complaining aboud random headshot ohk's... I am not in that camp.

I hope ubi doesn't cave to pressure on that. Those complaints are not coming from the OG Rainbow players. It's bleedover from modern shooters and those players thinking their skill should get them through a 1v1 or whatever. And that is completely missing the point of Rainbow combat. Imo anyway.

I agree. You need to be setting yourself up better if you keep getting sprayed in the head. Headshots are good as they are.

But it does do some things very well. I like how lighting works in this game. How if it's very bright out, it's hard to see into a buildings windows/doorways giving a real purpose to Glaz's scope or how when an assault starts the smoke and debris from walls/doors/breeches will fill a room. The audio is a definite high point as well, the way sound propagation works is very well done and the sound effects of weapons and environments are mostly pretty good if bordering on the unrealistic(I wonder when a dev will actually use the sound of a real silencer in a game). It also runs very well on my PC at 1440p and I'm grateful for that.

Yeah, I love that HDR lighting finally has a functional purpose in games, other than to be annoying.

This is the only game I've played (recently, at least) that I refuse to play without headphones, too. Soundscape is just too important.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Siege is far more twitchy than Rainbow proper. You can, for example, play Ash as a low-recoil modern CoD'ish run and gun, and mow down the other team. But you do so with the understanding that one random pistol round through the drywall can end your spree.

Your choice.

Play cautiously, hug nonpermeable surfaces exposing as little of yourself as possible, you substantially reduce that risk.

At its core, Rainbow has always been about risk assessment, and decisions based on it. Twitching got you fucking killed in OG Rainbow. Now it's more viable, but there will always be that high risk. Risk vs Reward is why I accept this new twitchy play in Siege. But remove the risk and suddenly this game is every other goddamned shooter on the market. Except in this one you can shoot through stuff.

Please, for fuck's sake... dont.

We finally, finally have something here.

SomTervo

And prevents the charge from being activated. Even if they do decide to withstand the shocks.

I think jammer is better for the walls, as on the smaller ones you can jam two walls with one jammer, and mute has 4 jammers, so you can jam 8 walls compared to bandits 3.

Bandit is better for killing drones than mute is though. It's too easy to jump the jammers and the signal interference gives you a warning that they're nearby. Though mute can place out jammers faster...

I guess mute is a better character, overall, since the actual damage from shock is very rarely substantial and he has extra amour which I tend to appreciate more than mobility.

You can get kills with bandit by placing shockwire at the bottom of skylight rappel points though. There's usually shrubbery at the bottom so people often miss the electrowire.

This post is why the game is so great.

So deep and so well balanced.

I don't know how I know Sir MJC, but he's in your video and now my friend list. Just a weird coincidence. I think I know him. I think? Haha.

Man I don't know, was he opposition? How did he die in the vid? Hope he wasn't the guy freaking out shooting ghosts at the end. I thought that part was really funny.

The last clip was right after I 5-0ed them as the last man on offense. So I'm imagining the last man was kind of tense.

Reminds me of The Last of Us, where in situations like that players will sometimes throw a molotov at the floor and burn themselves to death sooner than face the 5 vs 1. Some people don't handle / don't like the pressure, heh.

Is there a lot of online co-op stuff? I can't seem to find much co-op talk in reviews.

Oh, absolutely. The trick may be finding a good team of randoms that uses their mics, but even without it, the game is a lot of fun online.

Maybe I'll go ahead and grab this then. I'm a huge fan of low player count + high-tensity tactical shooters. Obviously they're not the same genre but it's the biggest reason I love Gears so much. Small intimate maps with no radar and a lot of teamwork needed.

Is there a lot of online co-op stuff? I can't seem to find much co-op talk in reviews.

Maybe I'll go ahead and grab this then. I'm a huge fan of low player count + high-tensity tactical shooters. Obviously they're not the same genre but it's the biggest reason I love Gears so much. Small intimate maps with no radar and a lot of teamwork needed.

Terrorist Hunt is basically co-op: you and other players versus a ton of AI.

Also, slight spoiler:
there is one unlockable co-op "scenario". Hoping they add more.
Scenarios are really more like training missions to prep you for the game's mechanics, but are essentially individual missions.

Terrorist Hunt is basically co-op: you and other players versus a ton of AI.

Also, slight spoiler:
there is one unlockable co-op "scenario". Hoping they add more.
Scenarios are really more like training missions to prep you for the game's mechanics, but are essentially individual missions.

Terrorist Hunt is the co-op mode, you and 4 others vs the AI
Has matchmaking and play with friends.

Good stuff, thanks brahs. Read about the Terrorist Hunt (which is apparently pretty awesome) but didn't put 2 and 2 together that it was the co-op mode.

KPunk

Just purchased for $35 can't wait to play this tonight. And those that are asking, Current Nvidia bundle with a purchase of video card. Search on ebay "Blades or Bullets" for a discounted copy of Rainbow Six Siege, and redeem at redeem.geforce.com

They're not the same genre but the sense of tension and atmosphere certainly do extend between the two! I played quite a bit of Gears 1 and 2, and TLOU. I actually think I enjoy this more though.

I would go as far to say that this is the most fun I've had on a multiplayer shooter, ever. I used to play a lot of COD as a kid, 3.7 KDR on MW2... and I have good memories of that... but I ended up quitting because I didn't feel like it had competitive validity. I was basically farming kills from people that barely even seemed like they wanted to live. It's not very satisfying.

That's a big difference between this game and others. On Siege everyone has a solid sense of self-preservation. Everyone wants to be alive. On almost all modern shooters there's people who just don't care, or aren't playing at all.

Last week I got a 31 killstreak on Black Ops 3, but two of the people in that streak, weren't even playing. While I think the streak was impressive, the fact is that those two kills propagated my killstreak rewards early, and as a result it left me with a feeling 'would I have even done well if those two were actually playing?'. If even one player gives up, or AFKs, or whatever activity they tend to do while pretending to play video games, that completely ruins the matches validity, and undermines everything I do.

On Siege, when play I actually that everyone is going to be playing, and I know that everyone is going to be fighting for their life, down to the last bullet. That makes it all the more satisfying if you do manage to take their life away from them, and you just don't get that in many other games.

Were you responding to his video or mine? There's a Sir MJC in my video, I play with him and he posts on here. Didn't see one in his video...his is captured from a also PS4, I'm on Xbox. Be a weird coincidence if there was one in both videos on two different platforms lol.

Still feel bad about shooting my buddy through the back of his head :(

owlbeak

They need to do something about katchaka(sp) traps, no one with half a brain is going to fall for them when they are so obvious.
I play defense almost exclusively as him, and I've found what works best is to not put the traps on doors/windows near the objective, but in adjacent areas where the firefights are likely to spill over into. When someone is getting shot at, they run for cover, and in that panic, they run through a door with a trip mine. Last night I got maybe six kills over a few hours with the traps. Though I do think they could tone down the brightness of the laser or the giant screw sticking out the opposite side of the door/window they are attached to.

Were you responding to his video or mine? There's a Sir MJC in my video, I play with him and he posts on here. Didn't see one in his video, he's also on PS4. Be a weird coincidence if there was one in both videos on two different platforms lol.

Still feel bad about shooting my buddy through the back of his head :(

That would make more sense, otherwise, that certainly would be an odd coincidence.

Soktos

Question... so I just realized there is a steam version of the game. I bought it through greenman, which is the uplay version. Does the steam version still use the uplay launcher? I'd probably rebuy the game if it doesn't...

Valkrai

Question... so I just realized there is a steam version of the game. I bought it through greenman, which is the uplay version. Does the steam version still use the uplay launcher? I'd probably rebuy the game if it doesn't...

Yeah, it requires Uplay regardless of where you buy it.

Reposting some "first steps" for beginners:

• Tutorials: Watch all three tutorial videos (you can skip through them) for an easy 800 credits (200 per vid + 200 for completing all of them)
  • Scenarios: Scenarios are, for the most part, pretty easy, have easy 200 credit challenges (can get up to 600 bonus credits for completing all challenges), and can be run on harder difficulties for bonus payouts
  • uPlay: When I logged into uPlay, I had 100 uBucks (my madeup name for them--what are they actually called?); it seems you earn some each time you level, maybe? You can unlock skins, boosters, and other stuff with these. I also had a free skin for participating in the Alpha/Beta

mr stroke

Want to pick this up on PC cause of the better image quality but wondering if randoms are using mics?

or should I just grab the Xbone version if I want to talk to people?

Alchemist

Loving this game. You guys were right, lots of mics on PS4 and players wanting to squad up. Found a cool group earlier and learned a tone them being more experience than me.

Ranked is a lot different compared to Casual, too. Every match we played, the opponents seemed to know exactly what they were doing making strategy, communication character selection that much more important.

Are we expecting huge expansions as DLC, stuff that would be review worthy?

Someone posted the DLC roadmap earlier in this thread. It looks like each one is based around a specific country, so we will get maps and operators for that country. I doubt they will be very big since they are going to be free.

Top Bottom