• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Drewfonse

I would unlock Rook first and tell your team in voice that is the only defender you have, they'll usually give it to you. All you really have to do as Rook is drop your armor plates at the start of every round. After that watch what people reinforce and use your two panels to do the same areas or get one of them to point out spots that need it. If you do go Rook I suggest the MP5 with a vertical grip and the optics of your choice. Having much more success with that than the P90.

For attackers I'd probably go with Sledge first. Decent utility but few "must-have" situations like there are with Thermite, Thatcher, or Ash.

I agree, Rook is still my go to defender, even after playing this for 40 hrs. Just make sure that you drop your armor plates somewhere obvious, and even repeatedly "spot" the plates (left d pad while looking at them) to further alert your teammates.

I have my highest k/d ratio AND win ratio while using Rook.

Thatcher is a great attacking choice. Hardly anyone picks him, so he should usually be available. He is an under appreciated operator. His EMP grenade can really cripple a well fortified defense. Couple that with a skilled approach to window breaching (master the art of the upside down rappel, it usually catches defenders by surprise inside windows) and you can start contributing immediately, even without getting too many kills.

Also, try different optics. I had been using the green triangle and doing OK, but when I switched to the holographic circle, I routinely started getting more kills. It can really impact your game,

Have fun!

I agree, Rook is still my go to defender, even after playing this for 40 hrs. Just make sure that you drop your armor plates somewhere obvious, and even repeatedly "spot" the plates (left d pad while looking at them) to further alert your teammates.

I have my highest k/d ratio AND win ratio while using Rook.

Thatcher is a great attacking choice. Hardly anyone picks him, so he should usually be available. He is an under appreciated operator. His EMP grenade can really cripple a well fortified defense. Couple that with a skilled approach to window breaching (master the art of the upside down rappel, it usually catches defenders by surprise inside windows) and you can start contributing immediately, even without getting too many kills.

Also, try different optics. I had been using the green triangle and doing OK, but when I switched to the holographic circle, I routinely started getting more kills. It can really impact your game,

Have fun!

Agreed on Thatcher.

I initially thought very little of him until I gave him a shot.

As you said, his ability to destroy all things electric(including cameras) is supremely powerful.

kvk1

Thatcher is probably my favorite attacker. Good teams will treat the EMP grenades like a flash, and use it for a brisk entry.

Many people forget that the grenade itself disables laser sights and holos for a good period of time.

Pretty terrifying going ADS when the enemy team is breaching and you're looking at nothing but darkness in your sights.

Klyka

Banned
PC Version just hit 12,217 players right now

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

beating the previous peak of 12,113.

http://steamcharts.com/app/359550#48h

Amazing sign that the player base is growing a month after release and Steam is not even the cheapest way to get the game.

It's on sale for 44.99 at the moment.

And that's only Steam. I am very sure a large portion of people have uplay versions because that'S not just where the physical goes into but a lot of the keys you can buy on the internet are all uplay.

KaYotiX

Banned
I haven't touched halo 5 since siege came out, game is just so good.

Lastnight we won a 4v5 ranked that went all 9 rounds. Talk about an amazing feeling when I got the final 2 kills lol

E-flux

Ash has quickly become my favorite attacker, it's so fun to be one floor below the objective and recon the room with drones to find where the enemies are camping and blow the floor up under them.

manhack

More good press here:

PC GAMER: 2015 Personal Pick — Rainbow Six: Siege

http://www.pcgamer.com/2015-personal-pick-rainbow-six-siege/

I spent most of 2015 with no feelings for Rainbow Six: Siege. I honestly didn’t care. When we sent our latest issue to print, Ori and the Blind Forest was my Personal Pick, but I'm going to break the rules and claim an extra one, because since then I’ve spent most nights cowering in the corners of biker bars, storming the boardrooms of presidential aircraft and hiding drones in the laps of hostages. I’ve been playing Siege almost exclusively, and barely stopped to wonder why. Now, I’m going to wonder why aloud.

Klyka

Banned
I am having way, WAY too much fun being the one who drives a drone around and calls out positions or who sits on the cameras.

Yesterday I sat in the cameras the entire round,not shooting a single bullet but instead calling out positions to my GAF team and I was basically part of 4 out of 5 kills made by the team.

Feels great!

PS4 gad had a good night after a rocky start. I am definitely perfecting my Blitz, love him and the other shield characters. Great games last night though. Ill be online again later today/night.

Admodieus

Played a few games this morning on PC - got absolutely destroyed in my first two, started to contribute to the team in the third one.

Add me PC GAF - Admodieus on uPlay

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'd like to cooperate with a shield user, but have yet to find one who coordinates well. Too often the shield users are too squirrelly. They don't trust you to cover their flank (so they constantly turn, exposing you), they don't move in a consistent, predictable manner, or communicate their next move. They react offensively under fire, and move, instead of letting you work angles off of them. Sometimes they stand up. *smh* Often they cross my firing line... this is the most common issue.

That's fine. Play however you want. It's a game and I ain't mad. But I'm not walking anywhere near you. Good luck, some of you guys are awesome with solo shielding. Not too many are good at close coordination. They coordinate in other ways though... They are still very useful.

Klyka

Banned
I'd like to cooperate with a shield user, but have yet to find one who coordinates well. Too often the shield users are too squirrelly. They don't trust you to cover their flank (so they constantly turn, exposing you), they don't move in a consistent, predictable manner, or communicate their next move. They react offensively under fire, and move, instead of letting you work angles off of them. Sometimes they stand up. *smh* Often they cross my firing line... this is the most common issue.

That's fine. Play however you want. It's a game and I ain't mad. But I'm not walking anywhere near you. Good luck, some of you guys are awesome with solo shielding. Not too many are good at close coordination. They coordinate in other ways though... They are still very useful.

I am currently trying with a friend to coordinate myself better when I am a shield to actually be a mobile cover + fire support.
I also love Montagne and literally being a full blown moving wall.

C4 hurts me though :(

iMax

Agreed on Thatcher.

I initially thought very little of him until I gave him a shot.

As you said, his ability to destroy all things electric(including cameras) is supremely powerful.

I think Thatcher would be a little more balanced if his EMP grenade was timed; taking out electronics for maybe 15 seconds or so.

Evolved1

Not fair that PC people can lean with their shield. Wtf Ubisoft. Christ.

lol

Evolved1

you....can't lean with your shield on console?
No. You can only lean while ADS, with any weapon. It's goddamn ridiculous they couldn't get lean on the gamepad. Ridiculous.

Evolved1

They really need some alt configurations on console. I don't need melee on the stick, for example.

If anything I constantly hit melee accidentally just trying to lean. I'd rather just have lean to be L3/R3 all the time (as long as you're <40% movement speed) and they can map melee literally anywhere else and I'd prefer it.

iMax

They really need some alt configurations on console. I don't need melee on the stick, for example.

If anything I constantly hit melee accidentally just trying to lean. I'd rather just have lean to be L3/R3 all the time (as long as you're <40% movement speed) and they can map melee literally anywhere else and I'd prefer it.

If you're on Xbox One, download the Accessories app and you can remap every single button/stick/tricker however you see fit.

Babalu.

just bought the game for $45 on steam. I've always loved the old rainbow six games and even though this one isnt the same i can feel i'm going to love it.

will be starting the tutorials sometime today.

Klyka

Banned
just bought the game for $45 on steam. I've always loved the old rainbow six games and even though this one isnt the same i can feel i'm going to love it.

will be starting the tutorials sometime today.

Make sure to add us PC gaffers on uplay and play with us. it's very very fun!

atr0cious

Which operator has the shield? I'm still just using recruit for everything. Will take your post as a personal challenge to fill a gap for teams.

Mentok

Banned
Haven't got time to explain in-depth (and we have been over this before in this thread) but Thatcher and Bandit are good bets.

They aren't the most picked operators which is good when you only have one to pick, but they are very useful. People pick the more aggressive ones that will earn kills, more often, but Bandit and Thatcher won't get you kills, but they are super useful.

I disagree about the kills part, I main these two and am highly successful with them. Bandit as a roamer can wreak havoc with his smg (high rate of fire and incredibly accurate with the iron sight). Thatcher's AR has low recoil for good headshots.

Klyka

Banned
Which operator has the shield? I'm still just using recruit for everything. Will take your post as a personal challenge to fill a gap for teams.

Blitz and Montagne are exclusive shield users and Fuze can equip a shield as well.
The recruits can also equip a shield.

Klyka

Banned
Word of mouth actually seems to be rolling on this. Didn't think it would happen.

It's really crazy because the alphas and betas were all "oh don't touch that game it's not very good they need to change a lot" and then the full game comes out and they changed a lot and people are now saying "wow so uh...that game uh...they changed stuff and it's awesome now...so..buy it?"

Basically the biggest negative comments I have seen on the game are/were the tickrate and network performance and basically that it's a full price multiplayer only game.
Which apparently a lot of people are ok with not just because of sales going on but also because for once the season pass is basically just a little extra and not a "you better get it so you have all the content"

I disagree about the kills part, I main these two and am highly successful with them. Bandit as a roamer can wreak havoc with his smg (high rate of fire and incredibly accurate with the iron sight). Thatcher's AR has low recoil for good headshots.

Sorry I meant their abilities won't get you kills, not the characters. Everyone in the game is lethal. What I meant was that people pick operators like Fuze and Kaplan etc. who have the capacity to net kills with their abilities, while non-lethal abilities are often under-appreciated, especially by players who are newer to the game.

That said bandit is a potentially lethal operator, with his ability, but anyone that electrocutes themselves to death is an idiot.

Animator

That said bandit is a potentially lethal operator, with his ability, but anyone that electrocutes themselves to death is an idiot.

There are places you can place it that are unavoidable like barbed wire under window entrances and electrocuting them or shield in door entrances and electrocute that.

Been playing since day one on Xbox and man this is the most fun I've had with a shooter in ages. Rook is my main defenders because those armor plates and mp5 are god like and Glaz all the way for attacking. Nothing beats sniping a team from an angle they didn't think was possible. The far end of the wing on the plane and through the half window above the breachable window on house get people every time! If you are tired of twitch shooters or just want a shooter with more depth buy this game!

Klyka

Banned
There are places you can place it that are unavoidable like barbed wire under window entrances and electrocuting them or shield in door entrances and electrocute that.

shield in doorway with electrocuted barbed wire directly behind it :D

Gotta get rid of the battery or destroy the shield with Ash

Evolved1

Well that requires a teammate who will stick to you. I've tried being shield-guy. It's hard, and the AR-guy needs to understand how to work off a shield. And be willing and patient enough to do it.

Basic principles though... for example (assuming 1 shield and 1 AR) moving down a hallway: shield should be hugging one of the walls with AR covering opposite-shoulder flank.

No one does this. Too much of a hurry I guess.

In an entrance point: after quick survey, shield needs to pick a side and plant themselves, let the AR work the angles.

No one does this. Shield always moves. Even if no C4 threat.

God forbid you try and follow or lead at an intersection, it's almost comical to watch this. Now it's just a game, and a lot of these guys are good/great players. They will get a bunch of kills and even lead the team to wins. But if you're expecting even basic close-coordination, it's not there. I've basically accepted that shields have a different role than what I'd originally expected.

I suck as a solo shield, too focused on trying to set up an encounter for a teammate to work into that never materializes, so props to those who are good with them. They are still powerful even if they're used in a way that's weird for me to watch. I still see a shield as a tool to work off when most times they're their own self-contained unit. The coordination I see with them is mostly they make an entrance and draw aggro as a teammate flanks. That's great of course, and works.

Just again... I'm not following them through the breach.

Klyka

Banned
Smoke grenades in this game are the greatest smoke grenades I have ever used.

You can walk straight up to people and shoot/knife them without being seen. it's fantastic.

I posted before in the thread that this game would not be worth it as a MP-only game at the previous price point and the online community would be dying out soon but Steam and a few other stores put a sale on it and the player count has risen. So I bought it.

add me on uplay (PC) if you live in Europe or Asia: KeiDash

Klyka

Banned
I posted before in the thread that this game would not be worth it as a MP-only game at the previous price point and the online community would be dying out soon but Steam and a few other stores put a sale on it and the player count has risen. So I bought it.

add me on uplay (PC) if you live in Europe or Asia: KeiDash

UPlay had it on sale first btw ;)
And also gave free weekend keys out that even just in my circle of friends made one guy already buy it and two more people want it.

atr0cious

Well that requires a teammate who will stick to you. I've tried being shield-guy. It's hard, and the AR-guy needs to understand how to work off a shield. And be willing and patient enough to do it.

Basic principles though... for example (assuming 1 shield and 1 AR) moving down a hallway: shield should be hugging one of the walls with AR covering opposite-shoulder flank.

No one does this. Too much of a hurry I guess.

In an entrance point: after quick survey, shield needs to pick a side and plant themselves, let the AR work the angles.

No one does this. Shield always moves. Even if no C4 threat.

God forbid you try and follow or lead at an intersection, it's almost comical to watch this. Now it's just a game, and a lot of these guys are good/great players. They will get a bunch of kills and even lead the team to wins. But if you're expecting even basic close-coordination, it's not there. I've basically accepted that shields have a different role than what I'd originally expected.

I suck as a solo shield, too focused on trying to set up an encounter for a teammate to work into that never materializes, so props to those who are good with them. They are still powerful even if they're used in a way that's weird for me to watch. I still see a shield as a tool to work off when most times they're their own self-contained unit. The coordination I see with them is mostly they make an entrance and draw aggro as a teammate flanks. That's great of course, and works.

Just again... I'm not following them through the breach.
Thanks for all of this. Which shield user do you prefer? Is the extended worth it over a free flash?

Top Bottom