• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

iMax

Yea, that's what I was referring too. I hope it's picked up in sales too, given how much I enjoy this game.

Just frustrated at this point is all.

76,000 across all platforms IIRC. Christmas buzz probably shifted some more and it's floating around £30 in most retailers at the moment. Should help a bit.

arimanius

Only thing frustrating about this game besides the server issues are the shield ops. I just can't kill them and their pistols seem a little to accurate. Any advice for them besides just trying to flank them?

iMax

Only thing frustrating about this game besides the server issues are the shield ops. I just can't kill them and their pistols seem a little to accurate. Any advice for them besides just trying to flank them?

C4, smoke, sprint behind them, stealth flank. That's about it.

76,000 across all platforms IIRC. Christmas buzz probably shifted some more and it's floating around £30 in most retailers at the moment. Should help a bit.

Yea, doesn't look like sales improved much in the UK given the recent charts. But hopefully it's tracking better in the US.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Was always gonn be a niche game. But honestly. It could eventually be up there with CSGo. The game is that good and entertaining to watch.

Valkrai

Was always gonn be a niche game. But honestly. It could eventually be up there with CSGo. The game is that good and entertaining to watch.

I think so, both games are very interesting to watch as esports. Even today's ESL matches are intriguing to see and watch how some teams are playing.

Mentok

Banned
For those wondering about the servers, isn't there supposed to be a 30 minute maintenance today?

I'll be on again tonight for sure!

Animator

As mentioned game tripled its sales on steam alone.(180k currently and the majority is on uplay. Its easily past 500k on pc alone) My entire ps4 friendslist is playing it as well. I wouldn't worry about sales or legs.

Keihart

After giving it some though, all defenders traps are pretty bad if the match would last longer, but their purpose seems to make the attackers slower wich give defenders an advantage. In the same way, since every trap that defenders can set can be deactivated with pacience, the attackers abilities that don't grant kills allow the atackers to move faster.

The round timers give the game this rushed pacing, making them faster and more tense the better the teams are.

I'm really liking the desing behind the game bugs and all.

nOoblet16

After giving it some though, all defenders traps are pretty bad if the match would last longer, but their purpose seems to make the attackers slower wich give defenders an advantage. In the same way, since every trap that defenders can set can be deactivated with pacience, the attackers abilities that don't grant kills allow the atackers to move faster.

The round timers give the game this rushed pacing, making them faster and more tense the better the teams are.

Barb wire + shock wire slows defenders down considerably. Sometimes even outright block paths especially later in the match when the cat and mouse game begins. Attackers usually don't go about destroying barb wire during that time unless they are absolutely sure no one is around...and even that means they slow down to take the trap out.

Animator

Barb wire + shock wire slows defenders down considerably. Sometimes even outright block paths especially later in the match when the cat and mouse game begins. Attackers usually don't go about destroying barb wire during that time unless they are absolutely sure no one is around...and even that means they slow down to take the trap out.

That is how every defender trap works. I have yet to see someone use barb wire correctly, people usually put it directly in front of doors and such which is useless. You want to alert yourself to the enemy coming and which direction they are coming from. I always put barbed wire to the sides of doors from the outside that way you know if an enemy is there and they can't retreat to safety quickly when the firefight starts. Same goes on stairs, don't put barbed wire directly in front of you while you camp upstairs, you want to put it down around the bend so you know the enemy is coming from there and is already slowed down when you jump them.

Klyka

Banned

Yep, that's the thing about the defenders in this game:

They have stuff that CAN kill/hurt you,but mostly they are supposed to do three things:

1) block of easy access to the objective and guiding the attackers down the path the defenders want them to go

2) slow down the attackers as much as possible to make the 5 minute timer go down

3) have the attackers make as much noise as early and as often as possible to know where they are

ubisoft, as you correctly say, basicaly balanced the game not around defender abilities necessarily killing attackers, but about giving the defenders the tools to properly setup to defend. they are still supposed to use their guns and not rely entirely on gadgets.

This is true for the defenders too btw, with only small exceptions like Fuze

I love the game but am getting frustrated by the servers. Multiple times this weekend, I finished a game and got no xp or renown. Not happy at all.

Freeman76

Yep, that's the thing about the defenders in this game:

They have stuff that CAN kill/hurt you,but mostly they are supposed to do three things:

1) block of easy access to the objective and guiding the attackers down the path the defenders want them to go

2) slow down the attackers as much as possible to make the 5 minute timer go down

3) have the attackers make as much noise as early and as often as possible to know where they are

ubisoft, as you correctly say, basicaly balanced the game not around defender abilities necessarily killing attackers, but about giving the defenders the tools to properly setup to defend. they are still supposed to use their guns and not rely entirely on gadgets.

This is true for the defenders too btw, with only small exceptions like Fuze

Genius game design. Absolutely astounded with how fucking cool they made this. Im 40 next year and this game gets me excited like im a kid again.

Klyka

Banned
Genius game design. Absolutely astounded with how fucking cool they made this. Im 40 next year and this game gets me excited like im a kid again.

31 next year and game makes me feel like I am learning counter-strike for the first time again.

it's something special and I hope people give them a couple days to fix the servers before new years and don't jump off of the game because of it.

The game has been steadily INCREASING it's community,would be a shame if people jumped ship now for something like this.

I've killed many of enemies with my shock barbwire. The way I use it is I put one in the doorway of the main entrance. That way they have to shoot the battery, destroy the barbwire...Something to let the team know that they are out that door, or at least somewhere they can see the door. Sometimes I get lucky and someone puts a breach charge on the barricade which does pretty good damage to that person.

Another spot is right below ceiling entrances. They blow the hole and they are up there looking around for enemies. When they drop down they are not expecting to be standing on shock barbwire. This makes them panic and you get the jump on them if you didn't already have it.

Stairways. This is my favorite. Place the shock barbwire on the flat of a stairway. They more than likely are not going to walk through it, they are going to crouch and start destroying it. You can clearly hear this. Run to the spot and light them up. They are concentrated on the barbwire so you will win this fight 9 times out of 10.

Yep. Big fan of Bandit, ha.

Freeman76

31 next year and game makes me feel like I am learning counter-strike for the first time again.

it's something special and I hope people give them a couple days to fix the servers before new years and don't jump off of the game because of it.

The game has been steadily INCREASING it's community,would be a shame if people jumped ship now for something like this.

They seem to be working hard to sort the servers out, so hopefully they will iron out the kinks soon.

As word spreads i expect this will become very popular, its pretty unique and not many games put you in Jack Bauers shoes like this one haha

Klyka

Banned
They seem to be working hard to sort the servers out, so hopefully they will iron out the kinks soon.

As word spreads i expect this will become very popular, its pretty unique and not many games put you in Jack Bauers shoes like this one haha

The thing the Ubisoft team achieved with Siege, in my opinion, is that they managed to walk the very very fine edge they were on when it comes to "Gameplay vs Mechanics".

They could have made a game that was very safe and very like other games and maybe introduced like, one thing like "You can rappel!".

Or they could have made a monster of a game full of way too complicated,intricate mechanics that take hours and hours to learn and push away absolutely everyone but the hardcore fans.

Instead, they made a game that anyone who has played a shooter can pick up and play and understand but that offers a very specific and easily understandable amount of mechanics you do not find in another game and then combines all of that into what we are playing now.

It was a VERY tight rope they walked and I feel the alphas and betas helped them tremendously. Just look at some of the first gameplay videos from like, a year ago, the game was really different.

I love putting the shield in deceptive places.

There's just so many options in such a limited space.

What features would people like added?

Maybe strange, but I'd love a surrender option. It could grant attackers more points but could then be countered by smart team play.

My vision of it is probably unbalanced as fuck but yeah....it'd be fun.

I finally unlocked ranked.

Now time to play in the big leagues.

I'm hoping for a step up in play as it'll help me improve hopefully.

Just because you CAN play ranked doesn't mean you should :)

I say this because I jumped into ranked too quickly and upset a few teammates at times. You really should know every operator and every map inside and out before playing ranked. Luckily I was able to carry my own weight with K/D and by supporting teammates but I did lose a few rounds by not knowing every possible location of the objectives.

Congrats on Rank 20 though!

30fps vs 60fps... I judge you as... an unworthy

;)

To be fair, a lot of console players should be used to this by now.

Killzone switches from 30 to 60 FPS for across multiplayer and singleplayer, even changes resolution. Uncharted 4 plans on doing the same I believe.

For some reason though, it comes hits you really hard on Siege, while on these other games, I barely notice it. I wonder why?

Valkrai

Killzone switches from 30 to 60 FPS for across multiplayer and singleplayer, even changes resolution. Uncharted 4 plans on doing the same I believe.

For some reason though, it comes hits you really hard on Siege, while on these other games, I barely notice it. I wonder why?

I'd say because of the structure of this game. For a tactical shooter or at least something this precise, you need 60 FPS (even on T Hunt with how pinpoint accurate those bots are).

Shooters in general are much better in 60 than 30 but Siege REQUIRES 60.

Keihart

I really wish there is an operator that can't shut off lights permanently, if not i really think is a missed oportunity having all this indestructible lights while almost everything else is destructible.

You can shut them off with tatcher, but is only temporal and is a lot more important for defenders.
Maybe there will be a defeder that does this and an atacker that can kinda see in the dark?
I'm no necesarily saying NVG because depending on range, that would be super OP. Maybe battery limited and small range NVG?

It's because the game looks the same while performing worse.

On PS4 for example, I'll be able to readily see the trade off in SP and MP for UC4. Seige? Beats me.

Klyka

Banned
I really wish there is an operator that can't shut off lights permanently, if not i really think is a missed oportunity having all this indestructible lights while almost everything else is destructible.

You can shut them off with tatcher, but is only temporal and is a lot more important for defenders.
Maybe there will be a defeder that does this and an atacker that can kinda see in the dark?
I'm no necesarily saying NVG because depending on range, that would be super OP. Maybe battery limited and small range NVG?

There were actually rumors about an attacker who can go up to certain electrical boxes on the map and use them to turn off cameras and lights and he was supposed to have NVGs.

It's because the game looks the same while performing worse.

On PS4 for example, I'll be able to readily see the trade off in SP and MP for UC4. Seige? Beats me.

It's the AI and pathfinding of the bots having to navigate levels that can change layout and having to navigate traps and such.
They only have so much CPU power to play with and the physics alone take a large part of that.

There were actually rumors about an attacker who can go up to certain electrical boxes on the map and use them to turn off cameras and lights and he was supposed to have NVGs.

It's the AI and pathfinding of the bots having to navigate levels that can change layout and having to navigate traps and such.
They only have so much CPU power to play with and the physics alone take a large part of that.

Yea, I figured as much. It's just the visual disconnect that makes it really annoying.

Ooccoo

I think I'll bite at $50. There was no way for me to buy a "broken" game at full price, but that's a really great deal and the game is fun. Hopefully they'll fix the servers and hit detection.

Keihart

That sounds sweet. Really intrigued by the new operators and maps.

I saw a video about how they designed the maps the other day. And the guy mentioned that they had set rules for every map but then they would make exceptions in some maps to one of those rules to make them feel unique. They mention the bar and the plane as examples of these exceptions, the bar braking the rule of no exterior walls being brekable and the plane having unbrekable windows.

They also talk about how they wanted to make a map of being inside of a skyscraper and atackers starting rapelling from the top but they couln't make it work, but they still haven't given up. That would make my Die Hard fantasies come true.

Edit. Maybe i'm missremembering the plane, but at least that is one unique part of it!

I'm level 48. I've put in about 6 hours into the game today. I won about 70% of the matches.

I was level 48 when I started playing this morning.

Ubi pls, I just want my renown, trophy and skins... T_T

Mentok

Banned

As Bandit, I totally love how I can slow the game down while I roam (I find Bandit is best as a sprint roamer, rather than trying to win a 1-1 firefight). However, I've seen more often than not that Kapkan's traps become more useful the longer a match goes. At the beginning people are looking for them, but as the round goes on I find Attackers tend to forget about them.

As Bandit, I totally love how I can slow the game down while I roam (I find Bandit is best as a sprint roamer, rather than trying to win a 1-1 firefight). However, I've seen more often than not that Kapkan's traps become more useful the longer a match goes. At the beginning people are looking for them, but as the round goes on I find Attackers tend to forget about them.

I know I do!

Top Bottom