• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

VICTORY FOR PS4 GAF TONIGHT!

Some of the peeps I grouped up with tonight had it realllly rolling! We went something like 15-0 and just kept on winning!

This game is so awesome with a great team that just keeps steamrolling!

Next time we start Ranked.

Didin't realize we had won that many matches in a row! Had a few rough matches when we first started but definitely ended up with a great streak. I feel I need to get better about keeping situational awareness of where my battle bros are at. I think 2-3 times last night, i walked into lines of fire and caused you guys to get some TK's on me. I need to stay in a certain spot and not just rush in. It is just hard not to sometimes, get so caught up in the "Blitz"!

Klyka

Banned
People get REALLY good at knowing where drones will come on and taking them out early.

Believe me, not every time do you know where the objective is and even if you do: So what?
The defenders are not bound to the objective.
Only in Hostage do you really need someone with eyes on the actual objective (or else they run of with it). Defenders who just sit right around the objective are the easiest prey for attacker abilities and they condemn themselves to a tiny portion of the level, when they have a whole world out there to use for ambushes and such.

Hence why you need objective defender, proximity defenders and roamers.

Yeah, I see more and more defenders nesting around the map. They aren't even bothering with hovering around the objective.

Getting on PS4 now. PSN~ SheriffofPaddys

Mentok

Banned
I hope they don't tinker with the game modes too much, I love that there are different classes and abilities for attackers/defenders, which wouldn't work for something like TDM. I'm hoping they do something like "casual", "ranked", and "party" (mandatory mic users). For a new mode, keep diffuse, secure and hostage and add "destroy" where the attackers must destroy both objectives (unlike diffuse where you only need to select one), or something like "Kill the VIP" where the defenders can move the VIP around the map (who has way more health than the hostage).

As for operators, I gotta disagree with some of the ideas posted here (like invisibility, etc). Keep them tactical and balanced. Some ideas I had in mind:

Defenders:
-An Op (or if they changed Pulse's heartbeat monitor) that can place 3 motion sensor alarms around the map.
-An Op that can knock murder holes easily (like sledge, but smaller holes).
-A shield Op that shoots a taser to stun an opponent (like how Blitz's shield can blind you)

Attackers:
-A medic
-An Op who can hack the stationary cameras so the attackers can use them (it wouldn't be quick, you'd have to hold a button like planting the diffuser, and the camera then flashes blue when in use [as opposed to red] so the Defenders know). Maybe limit it to 3 cameras so it's not overkill
-I'd love an Op with a cornershot pistol, but don't know how they'd make it fair. Looks like this for those who don't know:
cornershot.jpg

I think a cool defensive Op ability would be someone who could place a stationary camera somewhere, that way the attackers would have to be on the look out for it and not just shoot the ones they already have memorized. Sneaky placement would be real important too so the defender would have to find a good hiding spot or somewhere that they have good vision on the attacker's routes.

The way this game 'gameified' the intel and callouts portion of a counter strike game and made it more accessible to the masses with the whole droning phase is really genius.

When people quit in ranked matches, they need to be able to throw players in to fill the void. Going 2-0, having three people quit, so we end the game at 2-4 is incredibly annoying and frustrating

nOoblet16

Kapkan is the best.

Round starts
10 seconds later two explosions
Only two enemies left

Lmao
His traps are easy to spot though, like the pierced door frame wasn't enough they had to have a red laser going through for everyone to see.

Think a good way to partially hide his traps are to place it as low as possible then barricade the door, once that is done you take the barricade down and build a new one, maybe do it twice. The debris will at least partially hide the laser.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
His traps are easy to spot though, like the pierced door frame wasn't enough they had to have a red laser going through for everyone to see.

Think a good way to partially hide his traps are to place it as low as possible then barricade the door, once that is done you take the barricade down and build a new one, maybe do it twice. The debris will at least partially hide the laser.

I like to break open barricades with 2 melee hits in the middle and hope that they use the final hit to break the bottom and blow up. It works around 25% of the time for at least one kill LOL

I would really like an attacking operator to have sticky cameras, splinter cell style. I am also thinking of the various gadgets from that franchise and the spies vs mercs mode. Wonder if they will draw any inspiration from there?

cormack12

Gold Member
Started playing this online tonight after sticking to terrorist hunt. Quite difficult. Attacker is definitely the easier side to play, and I'm not sure that should be the case.

Anyway, I only have like six operators unlocked so far, what are the must haves? I have the following (some seem pointless, like IQ). Don't want to waste what precious renown I do earn:

Thermite
Ash
Rook
IQ
Fuze
Pulse

Also, we won a round before but I didn't seem to get any XP or renown at the end of it - any reason why?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
How is the population on PS4? Been thinking about getting this...

Never have problems finding people

(unless you are in a group of 4 looking for 1 random, takes forever!)

Also, no matter what the others say, PS4 community is the best community
PC players will just go back to playing LoL soon anyways
;)

Raven117

Okay, word of mouth is strong with this one.

For a Ps4 user...is this game worth getting in to?

Is everyone mic'ed up usually? Is the ps4 community pretty solid?

Im thoroughly intrigued by this game.

cormack12

Gold Member
Is everyone mic'ed up usually? Is the ps4 community pretty solid?

Not everyone, but more so than other games. Usually if someone talks, other people will switch their headsets on and join in, in my experience. Only had one guy playing music down the headset since I got it.

I was just on it for a couple of hours and had full teams on each game mode.

Most people seem to play objective, except terrorist hunt (defend) where everyone just goes for KDR.

That's very clever, lol. I need to try this.

Servers being shit again btw

2 minutes to find a match on ps4. Lmao get your shit together Ubisoft.

You can also hit the door twice (three destroys, of course) so it's basically "open" but still conceals the trap.

Another tactic (from Matimi0) is placing a shield in front of the door, so they vault over it right into the trap.

Raven117

Not everyone, but more so than other games. Usually if someone talks, other people will switch their headsets on and join in, in my experience. Only had one guy playing music down the headset since I got it.

I was just on it for a couple of hours and had full teams on each game mode.

Most people seem to play objective, except terrorist hunt (defend) where everyone just goes for KDR.

Thanks for the post. Do you like the game? Is it worth picking up?

Buddy all of a sudden can't join my party as the game gives him a strict NAT error despite the network status showing him as NAT type 2.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind. He port forwarded again and it seems to have fixed the problem.

cormack12

Gold Member
Thanks for the post. Do you like the game? Is it worth picking up?

Personally I like it, yeah. I think renown is a little slow to build up after a certain time, but I think there are probably 6/7 really strong operators that if you unlock first will make the game as fun as it can be.

For £30 if you haven't got another shooter, it's worth it I reckon. I use BF4 as my other main shooter type game.

If you don't fancy the competitive side, then co-op is fun on terrorist hunt classic. Maybe someone will let you shareplay a session? I'll be on tomorrow for a bit after work if you fancy it? You can have a go of terrorist hunt on solo or try a multiplayer game - it might lag a bit though :)

Raven117

Personally I like it, yeah. I think renown is a little slow to build up after a certain time, but I think there are probably 6/7 really strong operators that if you unlock first will make the game as fun as it can be.

For £30 if you haven't got another shooter, it's worth it I reckon. I use BF4 as my other main shooter type game.

If you don't fancy the competitive side, then co-op is fun on terrorist hunt classic. Maybe someone will let you shareplay a session? I'll be on tomorrow for a bit after work if you fancy it? You can have a go of terrorist hunt on solo or try a multiplayer game - it might lag a bit though :)

Thanks! I appreciate your input and the offer to shareplay. (We are probably on at very different times, but thanks for the offer...once again proving Gaf is really the best way to play video games).

I actually am just getting into FPS. (Destiny was really my first FPS...looking to expand my gaming knowledge). (I've been gaming since the 80's!)

nOoblet16

Servers getting hammered. A lot of issues with disconnects, random "updating playlist" that fails every time, frozen post game screen etc etc.

Sectus

Yeah, I just ended a session because matchmaking kept failing. I really hope they'll get to properly fix the game, and that it doesn't take too long. The actual game is great, but the matchmaking and connection issues can be really frustrating.

Onivulk

Banned
Hi, I've been lurking this thread a bit. Does anyone have the xbone version and is it any good? I wanna play with some friends and with gold being 1 dollar this month, I'm thinking about picking up siege.

Keihart

I wonder if a Terrorist Hunt mode would be feasible with real people? Keeping the 5v5 dynamic, the terrorists could maybe respawn with a max limit of 25 lives total while the other team were just 5. Obviously the teams would have to be balanced right with the terrorists more easily kill-able since they have more people.

I'd just like to see some kind of mode where you can respawn.

As for operators, I'd like to see a proper medic character who can heal teammates while they're still alive or a mechanic-type who can fix blown up reinforced barricades and the like.

Intelligence becomes irrelevant if you can respawn tho, i would prefer more creative modes that would make use of all the desing choices as the current ones do.

Edit: Itelligence as in Intel, reconn , etc

Enco

Non stop syncing issues and zero XP/spending points.

Really frustrating not making progress but the core game is awesome.

Keihart

Im watching some more gameplay, and the game looks a lot more fun when attackers dont know where the objective is.

When they use drones, they just zero in on the location and it's over quickly.

But when they dont know where the objective is, they are entering homes very carefully, using drones to check for tripwires, clearing rooms together and sometimes taking risks to manage the timer.

I personally dislike the whole drone phase, but I like drones being used within the action phase itself.

I'm guessing that they wont remove the phase, just because there are some operators who can scramble drones.
Regardless of knowing where the objective is , against a good team, you should always do some recoignance with drones.

Good defenders don't stay in one room, you want to ambush attackers and make them paranoid.

Invite friends to party > connection failures > finally get them into a party > search for a game > back out and restart search several times due to matchmaking bugs > finally get into a game > finish game > synchronization error cause fuck you, no renown > back out and reinvite everyone again (repeat earlier steps) > search for a game > loading screen bug forcing you to restart game.

Holy jesus fuck. It's actually an exercise of frustration trying to play this game at this point. It was so much better at launch.

Mentok

Banned
^^^ Yup. This is the biggest issue I have with this game. It works a lot better when soloing than with a party. With a party it can take a LONG time just to get a game going. It's even more frustrating when you finally get into a game, only for the other team to have a TKer or all start quitting very fast. you then start going through the whole process of finding a match again...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just to remind ps4 users, you can join the community to group up with people and play!

The easiest way to join the community is to send me a friend invite and ask but you can also try this process detailed below to find the community yourself. It does not require direct invites so hopefully you can find it.
http://imgur.com/a/0Bxdq

You can also search for my profile on ps4 then look at my joined communities and join that way!
My PSN is thetrinidad

JOIN TEAM PS4 RAINBOW SIX TODAY!

Which operators should I buy first?

(doing the situations for cash atm)

I would say

Rook - Defender

Ash - Attacker.

Rook can lay down armor plates for teammates, so you won't need to know the maps to be helpful. Ash can shoot breach charges so you can easily shoot out windows/doors to get an angle on defenders.

nOoblet16

Which operators should I buy first?

(doing the situations for cash atm)
Rook and Ash are good bet as you can go solo.
Bandit is another choice, he is imo the best class for roaming when playing defense due to his speed and shotguns and learning how to use shockwires doesn't take much time.

Thermite is good as well for attack with his powerful weapon, medium armour and ability to breach anywhere but a good thermite can really crack open enemy's defended so it's best to let him be picked by someone who knows the maps a bit more and can work with team.

Fuze (attacker) is good for solo too but there are few caveats:

1) As a new player you might no know where the enemies usually are so your cluster charges will not be as effective.
2) You might use it in hostage mode and kill the hostage...this happens a lot when Fuze is used by new players.
3) He is the first operator to get picked usually in a non Hostage game mode, so if he is your only operator available then chances are you will end up not being able to use him half of the time as someone else will pick him.

What are your thought on a rogue defender leaving everyone else to defend the room/hostage/container? My friends play with a guy who always wants to leave the area to go attack the attackers and he may get 4 kills in a round but it becomes super boring as a defender. I don't care if we necessarily win but more to have fun, and it's not fun waiting for only 1 or 2 attackers. Am I crazy or is he being a dick?

hunchback

We really need to get a Xbox group going. If we can just get enough for a team at first maybe we can make it grow. I'll jump on at 9 pm Pacific tonight and see if we can get something going and have some fun. Add me DblTap

Mentok

Banned
What are your thought on a rogue defender leaving everyone else to defend the room/hostage/container? My friends play with a guy who always wants to leave the area to go attack the attackers and he may get 4 kills in a round but it becomes super boring as a defender. I don't care if we necessarily win but more to have fun, and it's not fun waiting for only 1 or 2 attackers. Am I crazy or is he being a dick?

The best strategy is to have a roamer. I rarely stay with the objective, but I main Bandit (who's best suited for roaming). In fact, if you have a person playing Pulse, they're supposed to roam. So I hate to break it to you, but no he's not being a dick.

Klyka

Banned

Roamers are an essential part of defending and you don't want to hole up at the objective anyway. you need to fan out and ambush the attackers and not be sitting ducks.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah what was already said - A good roamer can totally make a defense strategy by flanking the attackers. I'm getting pretty good at it as I've finally got a decent handle on all the maps (and I'm like rank 57 or something - it takes a long time to learn them!) so I like to roam, plus sitting and waiting makes me a nervous wreck. But you need at least 3 people around the objective(s) or there's the risk that OpFor just walks away with it while half the team is still alive. But a good roamer = godtier.

Anyone notice the brightness off on Xbox One. Started it up today and everything looks washed over. Like I've got my brightness settings cranked, which I dont.

It's playing well tho.

Animator

He is doing it right. Holing up in a room is the recipe to losing. You always have to flank attackers and keep them off balance.

Top Bottom