• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Alucrid

Banned
Lonewolf_92 said:
General rule of thumb: If they're breaking the law somehow (riding into town dragging a woman behind them and shooting up the place or attempting to stab a whore to death in an alleyway for example), you can show no mercy without fear.

Well...I ran into two guys engaging in fisticuffs in the wild. So me being a good guy fired a warning shot to get them to disperse. One ran away, but the other had more deadly intentions for my intrusion. He reached into his holster, pulled out his six shooter and started to fire at me. Instantly I pulled out my rifle and put one between his eyes, netting me seven dollars, six bullets and -50 honor. :\

UrbanRats said:
How do you sve your horse if there are not garages(like in GTA)?

hitch them at hitching posts. They're usually found somewhere near stores and places you can rent/buy. On the 360 you'll get a Press X to Hitch type popup when you're near them.

Alucrid

Banned
UrbanRats said:
I don't have the game(yet, they have dispatched it and i'm going crazy :D )just wondering, thanks both of you.

Honestly, I never bother hitching my horse now. I just jump off it and leave it there then whistle for it when I need it, and it always comes running.

So is there a way to get people to not run away from me when I save their ass?

Seriously, I've saved people from cougars and wolves, and then they thank me and then run away screaming. Same thing when I save somebody from being robbed.

Also, maybe it's just me but treasure hunting is hard! I still haven't found the place from the first treasure map yet.

Barrett2

A few notable moments playing earlier:

- middle of the night i was sitting on my horse on top of a random plateau, pack of wolves comes for me. I unload my pistol into the pack, drop three of them, the rest turn tail and ran away. I set up camp, feeling like a man.

- Saw a woman running from wolves, screaming, i rode to her rescue, but accidentally shot her in the back when i aimed for a wolf. Couldn't let the body go to waste, so I looted it, and someone saw me and ratted me out to the cops. It made me really mad, i was trying to help the damn woman!

Really, this is the first game of 2010 i truly love. I've bought a lot of games this year, but haven't really gotten into any of them. Bioshock, FF, Mass Effect, etc... This is the first game this year i can just sit down and play for countless hours without getting bored.

Mr_Guillotine said:
Buy it from any tailor, the only one I've seen is in Thieves Landing in the very back. You can try and sneak around towards it if you go around the town instead of straight through, then buy and wear in town.

Ah, gotcha ... I've only ever been to that place once and now going back for a quest, I'll probably have to sneak around :lol

Also, I find the weather to be pretty random, I've ridden in the rain a few times, no real thunderstorms outside of the one mission from the ranch early in the game though.

TTG

timetokill said:
So is there a way to get people to not run away from me when I save their ass?

Seriously, I've saved people from cougars and wolves, and then they thank me and then run away screaming. Same thing when I save somebody from being robbed.

Also, maybe it's just me but treasure hunting is hard! I still haven't found the place from the first treasure map yet.

Search around hanging rock. I have no idea where to go next though. I realize it wouldn't be very credible for a general location name to be on the map... but damn, I have no clue.

Burger

My copy arrived this morning in NZ. Work is going pretty slowly, I think I've read every post in this thread. 5hrs left, ugh.

Dead

well not really...yet
God damn, Beavers are impossible to find right now.

Are stranger quests on a time limit or will they still there until the end of the game?

TTG said:
Search around hanging rock. I have no idea where to go next though. I realize it wouldn't be very credible for a general location name to be on the map... but damn, I have no clue.

Yeah, I was about to check there next, I just was scouring the macFarlane Ranch area :lol

I like that they don't tell you specifically where it is, actually. It's a lot more fun this way.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mr_Guillotine said:
Anyone know where to find foxes? Looking for the tiny animals is pretty hard.
I put some bait near the river, north of Hennigans Stead, when I was looking for Beavers, but it attracted Foxes instead. So try there I guess.

Bait is pretty useful. I had Boar come out of nowhere when I used it once. First time I saw them in the game.

KaYotiX

Banned
sazabirules said:
Any tips at horseshoe? I am terrible at it and I want to win a game at the Ranch.

Just practice, it took me 7 games to finally get a ringer (and net that achievement) and when my wife asked me for help i got it for her on the first shoe i tossed :lol .

Its pretty easy once you get the hang of when to release and the power you toss it. Just practice it over and over.

Man, I friggin' hate how when you save at a campsite, it doesn't always start you back at the same location when you load. I'm looking for the 2nd treasure so I saved at a location on the treasure map, and when I reload I'm so far away and have to do a long ride back.

Does the upgraded campsite fix this, or is it just a limitation of the game?

Dead said:
I put some bait near the river, north of Hennigans Stead, when I was looking for Beavers, but it attracted Foxes instead. So try there I guess.

Bait is pretty useful. I had Boar come out of nowhere when I used it once. First time I saw them in the game.
I'll try it, did it matter if it was night or day? Are the beavers part of a hunting mission?

Known Shippable

Neo Member
Net_Wrecker said:
What patch?

http://ca.kotaku.com/5544100/rockstar-patches-red-dead-redemption-invisibility-glitch

"Yesterday the developer promised a fix as soon as possible. That fix is now live, according to a Rockstar representative, who issued the following statement to Kotaku:

"We have just deployed a fix that should address the issues some people have been experiencing in Red Dead Redemption online multiplayer. This fix should address a specific issue that was found where the player's multiplayer avatar, their horse or their weapons would occasionally not be visible in multiplayer games as well as an issue that some players were experiencing where they would lose connection to the various multiplayer modes."

Known Shippable

Neo Member
I think they may have known about the bugs and had the TU/Patch ready for submission. Either that or Rockstar has pull at certification because of the high profile title.

TTG

Dead said:

Is there a use for hunting besides the challenges and selling the supplies for some pocket change? Maybe I haven't gotten to that yet.

TTG said:
Is there a use for hunting besides the challenges and selling the supplies for some pocket change? Maybe I haven't gotten to that yet.
Level 5 unlocks a weapon, 10 for all of the challenges unlocks an outfit.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mr_Guillotine said:
Level 5 unlocks a weapon, 10 for all of the challenges unlocks an outfit.
Oh wow. I had no idea :lol

Is the outfit one of the blacked out ones in the menu? Or is it a brand new one that will appear?

Net_Wrecker said:
WTF? What's the excuse then for every other developer that takes 3 weeks to patch a glitch? Unless this was known about prior to release...

Sounds like it was the case and already in testing pre-release even though there has already been one update before this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WOW. I'm blown away by the beauty of just riding in the desert as the sun sets. WOW

This game is awesome. It feels like San Andreas 2. Tons of shit to do, look at, and explore. And no pretentious douche in sight so far. What a game.

My one complaint is that pulling back on the stick should stop your horse. I do it instinctively and it just fucks me over.

Known Shippable said:
I think they may have known about the bugs and had the TU/Patch ready for submission. Either that or Rockstar has pull at certification because of the high profile title.
Kohler tweeted something the other night about how there's MS Cert for readable button prompts and I feel Rockstar must have somehow gotten around that.

Haunted

Approximately 7 hours until I'll get mine. Then some more agonizing hours at work jealously looking at the box and it's go time!

Kingbrave

Y2Kev said:
WOW. I'm blown away by the beauty of just riding in the desert as the sun sets. WOW

This game is awesome. It feels like San Andreas 2. Tons of shit to do, look at, and explore. And no pretentious douche in sight so far. What a game.

This is how I feel. Loving it so far.

am i the only one who either screwed up or never got the initial treasure map sequence? i'm far along in the game now, & i've either blown it or can't seem to trigger it? does it always happen just west outside of bonnie's ranch?...

soldat7

Haunted said:
Approximately 7 hours until I'll get mine. Then some more agonizing hours at work jealously looking at the box and it's go time!

It almost doesn't seem fair that you haven't played it yet. You'll love it.

Now, I think I'm ducking out of this thread for a while. You turd burglars keep spoiling all the cool little stuff.

DrBo42

Dead said:
Oh wow. I had no idea :lol

Is the outfit one of the blacked out ones in the menu? Or is it a brand new one that will appear?

Legend of the West outfit. That's what I'm shooting for right now. It better be awesome.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Gully State said:
Sorry if this has been already asked but how do you unlock the exclusive PS3 content?

The Solomon's Folly Gang Hideout and the Walton's Gang Outfit do not need to be activated. Solomon's Folly should be available from the start after the first Ranch mission (you can ride there - it is in the southwestern part of New Austin near Plainview). To start the Walton's Gang outfit you just need to find a scrap by killing and looting one of the gang members.

R* Support

TimBrad

Neo Member
14 hours then I should be home from work and hopefully have it waiting for me! :D

Thanks to all who have shared some, but not too much info to help out us brits! ;)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just made it to
Mexico
, and holy shit at the
song that starts playing upon your arrival
. The atmosphere this game presents is just...wonderful.

GOTY 2010 right here, folks.

gotee12

So I rented RDR today. That was a complete waste of $8...
Because I will be buying this beautiful thing first chance I get tomorrow!

Top Bottom