• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Mr_Guillotine said:
Yeah, it happens because of the full honor. Just put on your bandana before walking into town and you will be fine.

Hrm, I'm like 10 hours in and done a few missions. Did I just miss picking this up or is it something you need to equip where you change outfits? In the menu screen maybe?

Zeliard

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Actually there is a very dark brown (Almost black; considered black in the game) that is one of the fastest along with the Golden pearl, and white ones.

This is the one I've been using since near the beginning of the game. He wasn't wild. I spotted him on some dude's farm (don't remember who) and said "that's mine."

We've been on many adventures, he and I.

owlbeak

So...playing Free Roam today and I called my horse and up came my Warhorse. I'm confused, because later in another game it was my regular horse. Is this a random occurrence that's supposed to happen or....?

God this game is amazing. I played for almost 4 hours hoping to get story missions done, and am constantly distracted by stranger missions, hunting, random events, poker, blackjack, finishing requirements for clothing, etc. I only got 2 missions done in that span of time.

PS: Best thunderstorms ever in an open world. Not only was the storm I encountered LONG as hell (probably 20+ minutes) but the sound, and the way the world reacts to it was perfect.

Smokey

So how do you use the Golden Guns?

My code activated and it said something about the GG giving you more fame when you use them to kill (this is SP mode btw)...but I can't find where to activate them..?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Just finished the flower quest with Annabel, I thought something was up but that was messed up. :lol

Also some prostitute was asking for a ride to town then she threw me off my horse and tried to steal it, I dead-eyed her right in the fucking skull.

<3 this game.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Sir Fragula said:
Hey guys, what would you suggest as a good starting difficulty level?

There no difficulty levels. They are different aiming modes (Casual, Normal and Expert) that can make the game easier or harder depending on what you prefer.

You can also replay story missions once you've completed them to obtain different medal ranks (bronze, silver and gold).

R* Support

owlbeak

Net_Wrecker said:
PS: Best thunderstorms ever in an open world. Not only was the storm I encountered LONG as hell (probably 20+ minutes) but the sound, and the way the world reacts to it was perfect.
Went hunting earlier and a storm swept in. I noticed the brim of my hat flapping around, even my characters beard and hair was flipping around. The attention to detail is just awesome.

Gravijah

daddynorcal said:
There no difficulty levels. They are different aiming modes (Casual, Normal and Expert) that can make the game easier or harder depending on what you prefer.

You can also replay story missions once you've completed them to obtain different medal ranks (bronze, silver and gold).

R* Support

?! how?

Zeliard

Horsebite said:
Went hunting earlier and a storm swept in. I noticed the brim of my hat flapping around, even my characters beard and hair was flipping around. The attention to detail is just awesome.

Rainstorms leave muddy puddles in towns afterwards, too. The attention to detail in this game is something.

daddynorcal

Neo Member
Smokey said:
So how do you use the Golden Guns?

My code activated and it said something about the GG giving you more fame when you use them to kill (this is SP mode btw)...but I can't find where to activate them..?

Only the Cattleman Revolver and the Repeater Rifle have gold accents and are both weapons you receive early on in the game. This requires that you have put in the code and activated it in the DLC menu on the main title screen.

R* Support

Gravijah

Net_Wrecker said:
Go to your stats, and look for the mission times. It gives you the option of replaying them there.

Shit, thank you! That means if any cool stuff happens I'll be able to replay it. Does that mean I get the money/etc from them again?

ShockingAlberto said:
Met my first cougar.

He nearly killed me, but I managed to shoot him out of the air as he leaped in for the final hit

I keep reading comments about how Marston nearly got killed by the wildlife. Are wild felines so dangerous in this game? If so, it will make exploring way more fun for me.

Bah, my copy will probably only arrive Monday. This thread makes me sick with envy.

I'm disappointed that there really isn't a weather cycle in this game. I'm convinced that any unique weather events are scripted. I've yet to have rain other than during one of the earlier missions. And of course, if I wanted to use the weather cheat, I wouldn't be able to save!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, uh...how do you shoot the hats off people? I can't see to get it right. Dead eye just ends up killing them...poor souls. :lol

Zeliard

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm disappointed that there really isn't a weather cycle in this game. I'm convinced that any unique weather events are scripted. I've yet to have rain other than during one of the earlier missions. And of course, if I wanted to use the weather cheat, I wouldn't be able to save!

Dang, was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but I guess it is.

It was a real nice touch to have that music come in when you
First ride horseback into Mexico
. Really smart of them to do that. I did it during sunrise so it was perfect.

Karud

Early in the game dead eye just slowed everyhing down and I was able to aim and trigger the event. Now it's just slowing down and puts red crosses all over the enemy and everything I cross with the crossair. Why is that?

Karud said:
Early in the game dead eye just slowed everyhing down and I was able to aim and trigger the event. Now it's just slowing down and puts red crosses all over the enemy and everything I cross with the crossair. Why is that?

You have Dead-Eye Level 2. Enjoy it while you have it. It's the best of the 3 levels.

daddynorcal said:
We're currently looking into an issue that is preventing some players from receiving the Deadly Assassin's Outfit after correctly inputting the code. If you have received a message in-game that the outfit has been successfully unlocked after inputting the code, it should eventually be added to your Outfits menu where you can view the tasks you must complete before you wear it.

R* Support

I entered the code and it was successful, but that's it. I didn't receive any in game message after loading up my save. I hope you guys can fix the issue soon.

Seanspeed

Banned
lawblob said:
I highly recommend playing with expert aiming. City slickers need not apply.
I wouldn't recommend it, necessarily. I think certain players, those who appreciate a sense of accomplishment and who have some patience, will like it without auto-aim, but many people are going to find it too frustrating, no doubt. I know its tested my patience a couple times. Dead-eye helps, but you cant use it forever, and when you're doing bounty missions and some others, you get wave after wave of enemies, so you often have to rely on the somewhat clumsy controls to get your ass out of a jam, which is a problem because you can die so quickly.

I refuse to put auto-aim on, but I can see why some people might prefer it. Not everybody wants to play this sort of game for the 'challenge', ya know?

chidrock said:
Okay, these might be a dumb questions, but I couldn't find anything on it anywhere...

On the night watch patrol you come across two guys fighting - how do you handle it? I've tried pushing them, shooting them in the legs, etc and I always get a message stating that I didn't stop any crimes. This also applis to a guy I found in the wilderness who was getting held up.

For the brawl, the lasso and hogtying or barehand fist fighting until they're out cold works. It's two ranch hands, so you don't want to hurt them too bad, just stop the fight. :)

-PXG-

lawblob said:
I highly recommend playing with expert aiming. City slickers need not apply.

Word. Anyone who doesn't play with Expert aiming is a pussy. Seriously, it makes you feel so much more gangsta and killing shit more satisfying.

I've only played a few hours and I've seen so much shit already.

- Stopped a guy from raping a prostitute by shooting the rapist in the back of the head
- I was riding out of Armadillo late at night and saw a bunch of bandits dragging some poor bastard (tied up at his ankles to the back of a horse) into town
- Saw bandits attack someone's wagon in the middle of nowhere. They proceeded to beat him and then kill him execution style
- Went deer hunting in the bush with my horse
- Stopped (read: killed) a dude from breaking into someone's house.

There are soooooooooo many things to do in this game. So much better than GTA IV ever was. I just need to get more time to really sit down and play it.

Karud said:
Ah, thanks.
Why is level 3 worse in your opinion?

Because instead of automatically placing the targets (conveniently in my opinion) you have to use R1 which is just a mess. Accuracy goes way down if you ask me.

Aesius

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Because instead of automatically placing the targets (conveniently in my opinion) you have to use R1 which is just a mess. Accuracy goes way down if you ask me.

I think Dead Eye level one is the best. It's just enough of a boost to not feel like blatant cheating. And yes, level three sucks. I just got it, and I hate it already.

ACE 1991

Hey gaf, I have a have friend who says that whenever he tries triggers an auto save point, his game cuts him off and goes to the home screen on his PS3 when playing RDR. Is this a problem with his ps3 or his copy of the game?

Gravijah

-PXG- said:
Word. Anyone who doesn't play with Expert aiming is a pussy. Seriously, it makes you feel so much more gangsta and killing shit more satisfying.

I've only played a few hours and I've seen so much shit already.

- Stopped a guy from raping a prostitute by shooting the rapist in the back of the head
- I was riding out of Armadillo late at night and saw a bunch of bandits dragging some poor bastard (tied up at his ankles to the back of a horse) into town
- Saw bandits attack someone's wagon in the middle of nowhere. They proceeded to beat him and then kill him execution style
- Went deer hunting in the bush with my horse
- Stopped (read: killed) a dude from breaking into someone's house.

There is soooooooooo many things to do in this game. So much better than GTA IV ever was. I just need to get more time to really sit down and play it.

I'm not a pussy, I'm just a shit aim. :lol

Alucrid

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

I like level three better because I like level one the best. See, in level three I can use it as level one by just pulling the trigger in dead eye mode or assigning targets. I thought level two was a mess.

Aesius said:
I think Dead Eye level one is the best. It's just enough of a boost to not feel like blatant cheating. And yes, level three sucks. I just got it, and I hate it already.

See above. That's the beauty of it, you can still use it like level one.

TheKurgan said:
Still not that far into the game but hunting is easily one of my favorite activities. The ride between Bonnie's Ranch and the Marshall takes me about half an hour because I can't go 30 seconds without killing a rabbit, bird, deer, etc... It's very satisfying to chase a buck through the trees, activate dead eye and taking him down.

How do you activate the Hunting Challenges? Is it a random encounter?

Kill and skin a coyote to start level one (kill and skin 5 coyotes).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait so .. according to the gamefaqs page you CANNOT SAVE YOUR GAME if you use cheats ?

what ?

Majine

Banned
chandoog said:
Wait so .. according to the gamefaqs page you CANNOT SAVE YOUR GAME if you use cheats ?

what ?
Well that's new.

On the other hand, whenever I cheated on GTA IV, I'd never save so I can still load the old save and still get the trophies.

Horsebite said:
You haven't lived until you've ridden the top of the train scoping out the scenery while a thunderstorm cascades around you.

(And yes, the weather cycle IS random. I've had storm fronts creep in outside of missions numerous times.)

flyinpiranha said:
Hrm, I'm like 10 hours in and done a few missions. Did I just miss picking this up or is it something you need to equip where you change outfits? In the menu screen maybe?
Buy it from any tailor, the only one I've seen is in Thieves Landing in the very back. You can try and sneak around towards it if you go around the town instead of straight through, then buy and wear in town.

Barrett2

chandoog said:

what ?
I like this. Motivates you to actually finish the game before you start messing around with flying horses and shit.

owlbeak

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
If you play Free Roam you will know that they are NOT scripted. Storms roll in from the distance, from light rain showers to bad thunderstorms. Fog will roll in sometimes, especially after rain, clouds will roll in and break up and sun beams through the holes in the clouds.

It's all random, at least in Free Mode. I'm sure there are certain missions in SP that have weather scripted for atmosphere, but I seriously doubt it's all scripted.

eshock

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

This actually isn't true at all, I've gotten rain of varying strengths (sometimes just a light rain, sometimes really fucking raining) just while riding around doing Stranger missions. You must be really unlucky, sorry dude.

eshock said:
This actually isn't true at all, I've gotten rain of varying strengths (sometimes just a light rain, sometimes really fucking raining) just while riding around doing Stranger missions. You must be really unlucky, sorry dude.

I can see that. Not saying for sure that they are. However, in my experience I just haven't been as lucky :( I wish it would rain all the time. I have had some luck in Free Roam with the weather, at least.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

I had it start raining on two separate occasions, neither one in-mission.

yencid

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
im pretty sure it does have a weather cycle... i had a storm without being in any quest, i was just doing the outfit track.

Speaking of weather. Yesterday I was involved in a stranger cutscene inside a building. It was raining outside and you could hear the patter of the rain on the roof. It's the small things.

TheKurgan said:
I am in the same boat. Not sure what I am supposed to do in half of the random encounters I come across. Saw a guy stab a hooker to death behind the Saloon after a late night poker game. I wanted to shoot the guy, but didn't want a bounty, negative fame, etc... so I just looted her corpse instead. :D

General rule of thumb: If they're breaking the law somehow (riding into town dragging a woman behind them and shooting up the place or attempting to stab a whore to death in an alleyway for example), you can show no mercy without fear.

Top Bottom