• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

levious said:
High Plains Drifter is a good example of a gritty earlier american western
And Hang 'Em High, I guess. Weird, those always get lumped in with Fistfull of Dollars etc, at least in my mind. There ya go, I would say that 1968-1973 period is where you'd see Euro Westerns starting to influence their American counterparts.

Damn I'm excited about this game. If it involves cowboys or samurai, I'm always down with it.

Magnus

Gorechylde said:
Have all of them been like this or just a few? How many missions would you say you've done so far? I don't mind alot of talking as long as it's pertinent to the job at hand.
It isn't. A lot of it is nice for setting up the mood and tone of the town or the backstory of a particular character, but i'm of the opinion that the early hours of a game should never be broken up by such long scenes.

The VA quality is standard awesome R* fare.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DeuceMojo said:
And Hang 'Em High, I guess. Weird, those always get lumped in with Fistfull of Dollars etc, at least in my mind. There ya go, I would say that 1968-1973 period is where you'd see Euro Westerns starting to influence their American counterparts.

Damn I'm excited about this game. If it involves cowboys or samurai, I'm always down with it.

yup, growing up I always assumed the divide was John Wayne/Clint Eastwood

DeuceMojo said:
Totally Off Topic but OK:

Spaghetti Westerns: Tend to be filmed in Italy (and let's face it, Spain), brought to great prominence by Sergio Leone. Are kinda stylized and violent, and modern. I'd say they have more in common with New Wave than American Westerns. Gritty, unshaven, sweaty, often funny, very memorable. Signature sound. Ennio Morricone is a freaking genius.

American Westerns, at least prior to say Pale Rider/Tombstone/Unforgiven-onward, tend to be clean-shaven, square-jawed man in white vs. man in black. Though John Ford kinda set the bar with his filming in Monument Valley. American Westerns definitely inspired the look of Spaghetti Westerns.

This! There both great styles with their own merits and pluses.

I would have to say you need to consider the huge impact of The Wild Bunch too, I think that marked a change in the American Western. One big theme in the American Western too was expansion and frontier life , this is in Spaghetti's too, but more in the mental forefront of the American filmmakers.

I'd say in regard to setting: The Wild Bunch is one of the biggest for RDR in terms of time period.

Check out the intro to TWB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-19MbPTmznY

Tonza said:
I started watching Deadwood for the first time in anticipation for this.

I never really liked westerns but Deadwood is pretty awesome and makes me want to play the game more and more. (have it preordered already)

Welcome to the best show you will ever watch.

Magnus

Woah, seems like you can set up a campfire wherever you want in the wilderness and use it to instantly travel to any previous town you've visited, or the nearest road to a user-set waypoint. Can also change costumes at the campfire.

Framerate kind of goes to shit during a multi-character gun battle. Nothing game breaking, but yeah.

Zeliard

Magnus said:
Some of these pre-mission cutscenes are way too long and self-indulgent. I'm talking like, 5 fucking minutes a piece of yokels chatting it up.

That just sounds awesome to me. Atmosphere, baby.

The most notorious difference between american westerns and spaghetti westerns is that in american western the revolvers go like: PAW PAW! while in spaghetti westerns they go: pew pew

Magnus said:
Woah, seems like you can set up a campfire wherever you want in the wilderness and use it to instantly travel to any previous town you've visited, or the nearest road to a user-set waypoint. Can also change costumes at the campfire.

Thank god, I know the plus of open world is well the open world, but I don't need to simulate my driving or riding everywhere (the cab system in GTA 4 was a start in the right direction).

Gravijah

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Thank god, I know the plus of open world is well the open world, but I don't need to simulate my driving or riding everywhere (the cab system in GTA 4 was a start in the right direction).

I never once used the taxi in GTAIV other than for restarting missions. I loved the driving that much. :D

Magnus said:
It isn't. A lot of it is nice for setting up the mood and tone of the town or the backstory of a particular character, but i'm of the opinion that the early hours of a game should never be broken up by such long scenes.

The VA quality is standard awesome R* fare.

Glad to hear the VA is holding up. I'm i the same boat as Clyde in that I thought the conversation between John and the Marshall was very well done. John's VA is going to have to grow on me a bit though.

As far as long dialogue bits at the beginning. I'm an avid MGS fan so I doubt that'll bother me too much.

Glad to see you're having a good time though. The cattle herding sounded ace.

RbBrdMan said:
Good to hear I'm a grown man but I felt embarrassed of my hobby in front of my wife while playing GTA.. Such a juvenile level of unnecessary cursing in that.

I agree. It doesn't really bother me but there is a ton of unnecessary cursing in a good number of games.

Gravijah

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
That's why its the right step, it's totally optional. You can take it or leave it dependent on your play styles.

I know I know. I just hope I don't end up abusing it like in Oblivion. Gotta take in the areas.

Camper182 said:
wtf, how come they are so fast. boys, we got a spy !

They probably have one or two people whose sole job is to camp this thread and look for streams. They probably have all the major sites like Justin.tv on speed dial. Along with a crack in house legal team, nobody stands a chance.

Magnus

I get a little stunned every time I get to ride out into the sunset. This game's beautiful sometimes.

10d7f50.jpg

I can't imagine what more a Western fan is going to want from this game. It absolutely nails it in a way I don't think any other game has or will for awhile.

Just saved some hooker from getting assaulted right in the middle of a town in broad daylight.

"HONOR + 50" :lol

And then she paid me :lol

Gravijah

Magnus said:
I get a little stunned every time I get to ride out into the sunset. This game's beautiful sometimes.

10d7f50.jpg

I can't imagine what more a Western fan is going to want from this game. It absolutely nails it in a way I don't think any other game has or will for awhile.

Just saved some hooker from getting assaulted right in the middle of a town in broad daylight.

"HONOR + 50" :lol

And then she paid me :lol

Do you have any pictures of storms rolling in from the distance?

Magnus

Gravijah said:
Do you have any pictures of storms rolling in from the distance?

Naw, this was only the second one I took.

And the storm in question was cued for the mission. I'm not sure if the game has random weather patterns that'll roll in, but it probably does.

Soundtrack is very simple so far, and just plain perfect. Very minimalist, and then roars into a thunderous kind of guitar riff when a chase happens. It's great.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
zero margin said:
So yeah dunno what that is going to do other than have them shut it down in an hour.

He will have a backup channel and maybe stream on another site so ...sssh. :D

Zeliard

Magnus said:
Naw, this was only the second one I took.

And the storm in question was cued for the mission. I'm not sure if the game has random weather patterns that'll roll in, but it probably does.

GTAIV had random rain, so the engine is potentially capable of it. RDR looks to be going further with the weather, though.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Zeliard said:
GTAIV had random rain, so the engine is potentially capable of it. RDR looks to be going further with the weather, though.

I would so love to see a tornado out there in the wide open plains of the west. Framerate killer though.

Top Bottom