• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Cant0na

Banned
Gravijah said:
GAF, are there any cheap XBOX live subscriptions going around? I might have to buy the 20 for 3 months thing. Christ. :/
10 more and couldve had a year. buy em when the deals come up

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I like Magnus's ps3 vs 360 impressions, since I had a launch 360 without hdmi, and I still saw a huge difference between the 360 and ps3 versions of gta4 resolution-wise. So if it doesn't seem like a big difference maybe it won't be a letdown like gta4 was in the blurred-up department.

Jonm1010

Banned
mattiewheels said:
I like Magnus's ps3 vs 360 impressions, since I had a launch 360 without hdmi, and I still saw a huge difference between the 360 and ps3 versions of gta4 resolution-wise. So if it doesn't seem like a big difference maybe it won't be a letdown like gta4 was in the blurred-up department.

Yeah this is my concern. I have a HDMI-less 360 vs a HDMI PS3 and am having difficulty deciding on which to go with.

Magnus

Jonm1010 said:
Yeah this is my concern. I have a HDMI-less 360 vs a HDMI PS3 and am having difficulty deciding on which to go with.

The differences in framerate made the decision for me, but I guess I'm pretty anal when it comes to that particular thing.

I'm wondering how much nicer 1080p/hdmi would really look and whether I want to buy another 360 one day for it. Can't believe I missed the chance to get a $99 Arcade with the trade in deal at Gamestop 2 months ago.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Magnus said:
The differences in framerate made the decision for me, but I guess I'm pretty anal when it comes to that particular thing.

I'm wondering how much nicer 1080p/hdmi would really look and whether I want to buy another 360 one day for it. Can't believe I missed the chance to get a $99 Arcade with the trade in deal at Gamestop 2 months ago.
Since a lot of this angst is coming from the resolution differences in the different versions of gat4, the only question I have for you is:

When you start the 360 version of rdr, does it feel like a jolting graphical upgrade, as far a clarity and blurriness goes, or does it feel very similar to what you've seen with the ps3 version?

unomas

Banned
Ahhhh I want to buy this game from Amazon, but my only worry is that I still haven't even opened God of War 3 yet! I'm determined to finish the God of War Collection before I move on to God of War 3, currently I'm a little over halfway through GOW 2. I'm thinking by the time I get done with that game Red Dead Redemption will be cheaper in price somewhere a few months down the road. What to do?

SpaceHorror

Iron E Man said:
Did I miss out on the release date shipping or is amazon glitched?

Amazon will probably overnight it tomorrow. All of my release day shipping games have been sent out on Monday with overnight shipping.

soldat7

Magnus said:

Does your TV not accept 1080p via Component? What about VGA?

Edgeward

NightHawk17 said:
it was removed, but if you already preordered and had release date you should be good

And here I was gonna cancel and re-order so I can finally use my amazon prime trial. Oh well, free shipping it shall stay.. and wait another week.

Edgeward said:
And here I was gonna cancel and re-order so I can finally use my amazon prime trial. Oh well, free shipping it shall stay.. and wait another week.
well if youve got prime you could just switch to free 2 day shipping and get it quicker than the week you have now

Finally some non-fanboy comparisons, and pretty much what I expected. Thanks Magnus.

EB in Australia sold out of the Red Dead LE on 360. The PS3 version is still available, but I’m going 360 standard edition and will wait for the inevitable DLC.

For those who have it, are there enough other people roaming the towns because watching gameplay it almost seems pretty scarce. I realize its a western and all and not meant to be a city like New York but I am hoping there are more than 4-5 people roaming around each town you visit.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Quick question, what are the flowers and animalmeat and -skins for? Just purely for selling, or will I run into uses for them later? I don't want to sell off my wolfpelt-collection only to find out that I need 200 of the damn things to get a critical item.

JambiBum

neorej said:
Quick question, what are the flowers and animalmeat and -skins for? Just purely for selling, or will I run into uses for them later? I don't want to sell off my wolfpelt-collection only to find out that I need 200 of the damn things to get a critical item.

I know that picking your first flower unlocks a group of challenges. I'm also pretty sure that you don't need to collect a bunch of pelts to unlock an item. This isn't like a MMO where you have to grind for the best loot.

neorej said:

There are challenges that you rank up in for picking flowers, skinning, and killing animals. Not sure what the different ranks do for you. Probably unlocks outfits.

As for the actual pelts and meat I think they're for selling only.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Gravijah said:
GAF, are there any cheap XBOX live subscriptions going around? I might have to buy the 20 for 3 months thing. Christ. :/

3 months for 9.99 right on the NXE when you boot up.

JambiBum

sw33tclyde said:
There are challenges that you rank up in for picking flowers, skinning, and killing animals. Not sure what the different ranks do for you. Probably unlocks outfits.

As for the actual pelts and meat I think they're for selling only.

In vidya's stream earlier he unlocked a bandito outfit by doing a bunch of different things. He had to win at liar's dice and then catch a bandito outlaw among some other things. It took him like 10 tries to when LD so when he finally did win he killed everyone he was playing with since they kept beating him :lol :lol

JambiBum said:
In vidya's stream earlier he unlocked a bandito outfit by doing a bunch of different things. He had to win at liar's dice and then catch a bandito outlaw among some other things. It took him like 10 tries to when LD so when he finally did win he killed everyone he was playing with since they kept beating him :lol :lol

:lol

Did you see the video of the guy lassoing a nun and putting her on the train tracks?

I'm hoping we can get a bunch of people in a posse and do the same with 8 or so NPCs on the tracks. :D

JambiBum

sw33tclyde said:

Did you see the video of the guy lassoing a nun and putting her on the train tracks?

I'm hoping we can get a bunch of people in a posse and do the same with 8 or so NPCs on the tracks. :D

Yeah I saw that. His horse ran right in front of the train too just as it hit the nun. Thought the horse was going to get crushed. He screamed at it as it crossed :lol :lol

I only get to play for around three hours once I pick it up tonight because I have to work at 4 am. But then I get the entire day to play :D

Teknoman

sw33tclyde said:

snidely.jpg

Majine

Banned
sw33tclyde said:

Rockstar games brings out the bastard child inside of you. :lol

SpaceHorror

I have an 8 hour shift at work tomorrow from 3pm to 11pm, heading to a midnight release as soon as I get off. I have a feeling those 8 hours are going to feel painfully slow. :(

Top Bottom