• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SCB3

How can those concern you now? Those are far away, easily next gen for The Elder Scrolls VI, let’s say 5 years, and Fallout late next gen or the generation thereafter.
Well seeing as they would be likely Game Pass games now and made for that market in mind, they may be a lesser experience than Fallout 4 and Skyrim now

Interfectum

Gold Member
13 pages? So much 'interest' for a crappy coop shooter? 😄
War GIF by Fargo

LostDonkey

What have you played of theirs?

Dishonored, Prey, Deathloop, Wolfenstein.

Didn't like any of them, the way they play, the way they look...I don't get the hype and why they're regarded on such a high pedestal.

But...with this being co op online it may be different so I'm willing to give that element a shot at least.

MiguelItUp

Now that I think about it, I can’t remember a rather big game keeping review embargos until several hours after the games release?
Well the game's embargo is lifting an hour before the game's release tonight. Which, isn't too uncommon. Especially Bethesda published games.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
In spite of all the hate the game is getting, mostly because it's not releasing on their favorite plastic box, looks to me like a 70-80% game.

Of all the exclusives one would hope to have on his plastic box of choice this ain't it chief.
Personally, you'd have to pay me to invest my precious time on this generic, soulless and dated looking online co-op title.

Foilz

Banned
When MS or any management is on a team, pushing and crunching to get shit done all you hear on Twitter or here is "they gotta be hands off" "they have to let the studios work themselves out". MS acquires Bethesda and is "hands off" , now all you hear is "MS needs to fix their hands off approach, it's time they get these studios in line and getting shit done".

What exactly can be done? We all know that more than half of the studios MS has are GOOD studios. What is broke. At XGS that is causing these issues? I know redfall is a Bethesda issue, it was in development before they were acquired and if it was released on PS5 as well it would be the exact same way but with 5 more FPS.

Dishonored, Prey, Deathloop, Wolfenstein.

Didn't like any of them, the way they play, the way they look...I don't get the hype and why they're regarded on such a high pedestal.

But...with this being co op online it may be different so I'm willing to give that element a shot at least.
Ah ok so you like co-op looter shooter games. Yeah that's not what Arkane made in the past. Even though their games are first person, they are closer to something like Deus Ex or System Shock.
Also, all their console versions with the exception of Deathloop have ran like absolute shit with terrible framerate and massive input lag. PC is the only way to go for their game releases unfortunately.
For instance, the original Dishonored still plays at 30fps even on the current gen consoles. Same with Dishonored 2 and Prey. They absolutely play and feel like absolute shit. Which is definitely not a good sign for the console versions of Redfall.

Flutta

Banned
Yup, shit stinks. Thanks MS for rushing this turd out the door.

Now the next turd we all been waiting for is Starfield. That one is special indeed. Tod and Phil can’t wait for you to play it even if it’s not ready yet😅

LostDonkey

Ah ok so you like co-op looter shooter games. Yeah that's not what Arkane made in the past. Even though their games are first person, they are closer to something like Deus Ex or System Shock.
Also, all their console versions with the exception of Deathloop have ran like absolute shit with terrible framerate and massive input lag. PC is the only way to go for their game releases unfortunately.
For instance, the original Dishonored still plays at 30fps even on the current gen consoles. Same with Dishonored 2 and Prey. They absolutely play and feel like absolute shit. Which is definitely not a good sign for the console versions of Redfall.
I don't necessarily like co op looter shooters, no, but I'm willing to give it a try as it's different from what Arkane usually make.

And as far as their games go I played them all on PC.

I also wouldn't put any of their games even close to Deus Ex. That's on a complete other level.

Yup, shit stinks. Thanks MS for rushing this turd out the door.

Now the next turd we all been waiting for is Starfield. That one is special indeed. Tod and Phil can’t wait for you to play it even if it’s not ready yet😅
Bethesbug, can't wait to see the massacre...

Varteras

When MS or any management is on a team, pushing and crunching to get shit done all you hear on Twitter or here is "they gotta be hands off" "they have to let the studios work themselves out". MS acquires Bethesda and is "hands off" , now all you hear is "MS needs to fix their hands off approach, it's time they get these studios in line and getting shit done".

What exactly can be done? We all know that more than half of the studios MS has are GOOD studios. What is broke. At XGS that is causing these issues? I know redfall is a Bethesda issue, it was in development before they were acquired and if it was released on PS5 as well it would be the exact same way but with 5 more FPS.

When you have set up a company culture of success that allows you to be hands-off, you stay hands-off. When your company clearly isn't finding success on its current path, you change things. Sometimes that means being more hands-on to steer the ship. When you're out of the storm, then you can let go of the wheel.

There is a reason why Zenimax sold, and it wasn't because it was financially successful. Most of its studios were draining the company. So why would you then fold that leadership into your company and then leave it alone? Especially when Xbox's leadership was already having issues. The answer is new management.

Yeah, but I guess it doesn’t really show much confidence in the game to have embargoes up so close to release. I’m mostly surprised opencritic comments on it in the tweet.
I believe it's standard for Bethesda now to embargo until release, so in this case it doesn't say much. I think the more obvious sign that no one believes in the project is releasing it at 30fps at the same time as Zelda, Diablo and Jedi Survivor.

Rival

Gold Member
Nothing I have seen about this game looks even slightly interesting to me. 6.2 out of 10. If it reviews well and people seem to enjoy it I’ll gladly eat my words and give it a try.

Fess

Well seeing as they would be likely Game Pass games now and made for that market in mind, they may be a lesser experience than Fallout 4 and Skyrim now
They’re just about to learn the hard way that they need to make sure the quality is good at launch because with no investment people will drop a bad game like a cold fish and just walk away.

FrankWza

I mean they already are. Making games that don't sell. Thing is, I'm not even trying to be that funny. I've always felt Arkane was overrated and Tango was underrated. Even said as much here. Got laughed at by a few fanboys. Well, between Hi-Fi Rush and Redfall...

Austin Powers Evil Laugh GIF
Tango losing Mikami could be the best thing for gamers. I don't think hes announced plans yet so there's a chance he ends up somewhere making games for everyone.
Greenberg needs a hair transplant from his bulbous neckbeard
His boy Todd can hook him up with his guy.
goodfellas GIF

They’re just about to learn the hard way that they need to make sure the quality is good at launch because with no investment people will drop a bad game like a cold fish and just walk away.
And they'll play it on day one too.
this is pretty unprofessional lol
Which is weird, because the reason Opencritic exists is to be better than Metacritic. Personally I'd like to see a Rotten Tomatoes style aggregator be put together for gaming. Opencritic is better than Metacritic, but not much different other than the review weighting.
He's miles above Cope...
OK, straying off topic here, but a PlayStation fanboy that hides behind the Dreamcast brand is about the worst thing in fanboydom (for this SEGA fanboy especially).

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Arkane used to make great games. Death Loop was a slog though and this looks significantly worse. Hope they figure things out internally and rebound instead of going under.
I genuinely loved Death Loop but this looks very low quality. I don't know how you go from Dishonored and Prey to this; the type of game they're attempting here just doesn't seem to be part of their DNA, it's just such an odd choice. I was hoping I would be wrong and that this would turn out great....but the writing was on the walls for this one since the first reveal. They need to go back to their roots and make a quality deep sim ala Dishonored or Prey, it's what they do and what they're good at.

Top Bottom