• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah yes, the game that scored 9s and 10s from "professional" videogame journalists, only to be absent from literally every GOTY list.

Deathloop is shit, and Redfall seems strike two for a stumbling Arkane.
I personally never played it and don't believe it deserves the scores it got based of what I've seen. Also, I am a journalist myself, not all of us are bad, although the 90% of them are garbage ill admit to that. Kotaku/Polygon in particular.

mdkirby

Deathloop, whilst not what I want from an arcane game, was a good game. Not great, but good, and an interesting experiment. That is a far cry tho from prey or dishonoured. And now it’s looking like they’ve drifted further off course…what happened to them? I hope whatever used to make them good splinters off and reforms to return to making immersive sims with interesting world building and narratives. As their fall from grace for me is almost as big a loss as BioWare.

Bethesda;Arkane in damage control

He/Him and Writer on Gotham Knights

Animated GIF

Deathloop was made by Arkane Lyon. This is made by Arkane Austin.
Arkane has less than 200 employees apparently. Which means this game was most likely made by around 100 or so people. I don't know how they were thinking of creating an open world game with the scope of Far Cry with 100 people.
Wasn't aware of that. Good to know.

Bethesda;Arkane in damage control

How is that cruel? If they believe the game is genuinely a bad game, they shouldn't sugar coat it and potentially confuse a potential buyer.

It wasn't even personal, just the opposite. He actually complimented the PEOPLE who made it, but was honest and said, while extremely talented, what they did he didn't work.

Last edited:
No matter what side of the divide you fall on, I hope we can agree that launch time review embargoes is a shitty thing to do. People need to make informed decisions prior to purchase.

Especially for a $70 title. It doesn’t also spark confidence in your work.
Game Pass baby.

Hestar69

What is this a euphemism for?

Really?

We're gonna just ignore FH5, MSFS, Psychonauts 2, HFR that all launched on the service too? Halo Infinite campaign I guess too since MP was basically free. Last year wasn't a very great year, but let's not act as if the service hasn't had quality games before. Your comment on Starfield makes zero sense.
ppl sleep on halo's SP and it's the best one since halo 3 IMO. The open world was....good...but it coulda been alot better.

Now the MP was total ass, they dropped the ball hard there.they REALLY should've made a halo BR..they STILL should make one even put it on ps5.

Calverz

I played about an hour or so of before they took the servers down again and some of the early impressions are pretty spot on

I had some higher hopes for it before its not in a good place here at launch on PC at least
How was performance on pc? Looks unstable but does dlss keep it consistently over 60fps?

How is that cruel? If they believe the fabe is genuinely a bad game, they should sugar coat it. Let your audience know to not waste your time and money.

It wasn't even personal, just the opposite. He actually complimented the PEOPLE who made it, but was honest and said, while extremely talented, what they did he didn't work.
Yeah that’s not even bad. It’s saying the team and talent are great, and they had a fuck up here. It’s not cruel at all. If its shit its shit. It’s actually kind.
If someone told me, mate you’re amazing, but you shit the bed on this work, do better, I’d be fine with it.
If you think Arkane doesn’t know it’s shit and being pushed out, you’re wrong

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How was performance on pc? Looks unstable but does dlss keep it consistently over 60fps?
On a 4090 I was keeping over 100 fps on a 1440p ultrawide with upscaling disabled with everything on epic

It did have some stutters

Last edited:

Calverz

On a 4090 I was keeping over 100 fps on a 1440p ultrawide with upscaling disabled with everything on epic

It did have some stutters
Ok. I have a 4090 but looking to play on 4K. Might be fine then. There was a video posted earlier of a 3070 and it looked horrendous. Did you notice a lot of texture pop in and textures not loading?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ok. I have a 4090 but looking to play on 4K. Might be fine then. There was a video posted earlier of a 3070 and it looked horrendous. Did you notice a lot of texture pop in and textures not loading?
I didn't notice a lot of texture pop in, at least not enough to make it distracting

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Is the AI worse than death loop ?

Is it possible for it to not suck if you turn up difficulty ?

bender

What time is it?
Now the MP was total ass, they dropped the ball hard there.they REALLY should've made a halo BR..they STILL should make one even put it on ps5.

I didn't care much for Halo's SP campaign but I really think the downfall started with the introduction of Brutes in Halo 2.

Eotheod

What the fuck happened with Arkane? Deathloop was shit and now this? Put them as a support studio Microsoft for now, until they come up with something decent and fleshed out.

Truly in the age of shit gaming, outside of titles like Tears, where the development cycle being 5-6 years is hurting the releases. The games go into development at a whole different industry standard, and it's bloody hard keeping up with those standards while also trying to develop. Going to be some games coming out that just feel backwards and behind the times.

nbkicker

"Oh won't someone think of the devs"

Please. These guys receive a salary and the people who employ them are demanding $70. This is business, they didn't do a good enough job and the product is rightfully being criticised.
Exactly i dont feel any sympathy for a developer, unless they where forced by a higher suit into the decisions, but graphically the ai and animation is upto the people working there, comapnys care more about diversity etc in there staff then keeping or getting the people who can actually deliver whats needed

Reactions: GHG

diffusionx

Gold Member
ppl sleep on halo's SP and it's the best one since halo 3 IMO. The open world was....good...but it coulda been alot better.

no they don't, it's not very good. The open world is well-done yea, but the story is usual 343 nonsense and the missions are super boring. There is probably a great game there but it was completely incompetently made and then they had to throw it together just to get something out the door after a year delay. Maybe not too different from this game.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is the AI worse than death loop ?

Is it possible for it to not suck if you turn up difficulty ?
I was going to try and crank it up to the highest available setting but servers have gone down

On the medium setting they are dumb, blind and can not aim.

On a couple of occasions I would take someone down with melee and the other AI standing maybe 20 feet away? couldn't see me or their knocked out friend laying there and did nothing about it

Had one patrol literally right over a dead body and walk over him and not care

Top Bottom