• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Gameplay Videos & Articles

I don't think many would argue for RE5 damaging the series, as that's a genuinely good game that was received well by most who played it, even if it's not as universally loved as 4. RE6 rode in on the coattails of RE5 but it absolutely, without question, hurt the franchise's reputation, as it's an incredibly bloated mess of an experience. Almost anyone who played the game outside of the hardcore RE community will attest to this. Again, Capcom knows this and it's the reason why RE7 is a such drastic departure from recent entries.

The proof will be in RE7's sales. It's going to be punished for the sins of RE6, regardless of how lauded it is by the press and consumers. It'll still sell millions of copies, but I'll be shocked if it reaches the sales milestones of 5 and 6.

RSB

Banned
RE7 sounds extremely promising for what it is, but it still sucks to give up the exquisite action, attractive characters and cheesy camp of recent installments. Action RE is my soap opera... I hope we'll see more of it with a Revelations 3.
Yeah, it would be a shame if RE6 was the last we saw of that awesome action gameplay. Hopefully Revelations 3 (or a new spin-off series) will keep that style alive (plus all the crazy anime soap opera super hero drama of course)

Before that though, Capcom still has to not to fuck up the RE2 Remake (100% classic RE or bust)

Jawmuncher

I don't know why people are talking about sales when Capcom themselves said that RE6 sold less than they expected.

They didn't deny that the title was popular with over 5 million units sold at the end but it underperformed commercially being far way from the goal of 4.8m for the first quarter (when're the full price sales happens).

Because that they chose to back to roots and made a proper RE again.

I wouldn't say they instantly jumped on where RE7 is now. Every RE game has gone through two versions, and I bet at one point there was a third person RE7 before they dropped it and decided to change it up again.

i didn't watch most of the videos

tell me there isn't crappy hiding elements in the game

You can fight or flight, with flight needing you to hide. The lantern demo (VHS tape) was all about hiding. So it's there but optional.

LeFAIS

I was a pussy during the demo, but I'm still gonna get it. But fuck me I am hating myself for making this purchase.

Spinky

Everyone's played it, but even casual/mild enthusiast gamers I talk to always say how the direction in 5 and 6 is off-putting or bad because ,,not scary like 4".

Wat.

RE4 is barely scary.

Apart from the Regenerators and that fucking guy who comes out of the oven.

I spent pretty much half of the year addicted to RE6 The Mercenaries. Some of the most satisfying combat and traversal mechanics ever created, with an astounding variety of enemies that push you to use all of your skills, on maps that allow for virtually infinite strategies. So good.

The campaigns are nothing special (great character moments and atmosphere aside), but boy oh boy is Mercenaries a treat in RE6. Especially the No Mercy variant.

Im tellin' ya. They need to make an Mercenaries Allstars game with gameplay even nuttier than RE6.

It'll be the Devil May Cry of shooters.

Anteater

You can fight or flight, with flight needing you to hide. The lantern demo (VHS tape) was all about hiding. So it's there but optional.

hmm i guess i'll wait and see, the forced corridor shit with the evil within was the worst, if the game gives you multiple choices then it wouldn't be so bad

Wat.

RE4 is barely scary.

Sure it doesn't have the lurking horror that REmake or the Silent Hill games have, but you can't tell me that the opening village segment isn't one of the most tense video game moment of all time.

Zombies are a big part of the classic games which they keep saying was a big inspiration for this game, most of the enemies they've shown look like bullet sponges that won't be fun to fight.

I'm sorry, but have you played a classic RE game?

Mr Git

Excited for this. A return to survival horror is exactly what I wanted from Resident Evil. RE4 was wonderful but shouldn't have been the series career path for over a decade.

I really want to watch this stuff and read more, but it's less than 2 months away (!!) and I feel like if there's a game that you should probably go on a media blackout over, it's this one.

Jawmuncher

I really want to watch this stuff and read more, but it's less than 2 months away (!!) and I feel like if there's a game that you should probably go on a media blackout over, it's this one.

Watch the broll with no commentary.
It's not that spoilery. It's all still very early in the game from what they say.

Can't wait for the bait-n-switch this game's gonna get.

Cabin in the woods to overrun city perhaps?

Well we know you drive a car, and there's a literal chainsaw massacre so the switch is definitely in there.

Any Xbox one gameplay so far?

All gameplay is PS4, and some screenshots are PC. I think Sony has marketing for this, so you probably won't see Xbox gameplay until closer to launch. It'll run at 60fps though the resolution is gonna be power. Which is par for the course.

noomi

Personally, I'm very happy they've done away with the super hero anime soap opera. It's esoteric and cringe.

Couldn't agree more, it's one of the things that turned me away for a while. RE7 so far looks great from those few videos.

Consider me interested.

Well we know you drive a car, and there's a literal chainsaw massacre so the switch is definitely in there.

People who think this whole game is gonna take place in this house are all crazy.

Honestly, I feel the opposite considering how little they've shown us.

Vipu

Banned
Graphics look bad
Gameplay looks bad
Story maybe something?
VR showcase? Seems like there is some scenes that are made to move your head without you moving yours, that seems weird.

It definitely looks much better at this point than the demo, which I shit upon at length, but the Baker family essentially being a giant gang of Nemesis (absolutely hate un-kill-able enemies like that), sluggish and slow FPS view and hiding crap still makes it a no-go for me for now. Also hoping that the combat will feel weighty and substantial, looks really thin in the videos so far.

Then again, at least it isn't a full-blown walking simulator/Outlast clone as I had expected.

Will wait for my friend to buy it and try it out at his house.

EDIT: The game seems to rip camera control away from the player quite a lot, with the emphasis on 'seems', hope that's not the case during actual gameplay.

If I remember correctly, Capcom only showed the Village section in RE4 during Pre-release, correct? Maybe a few screenshot of the Castle?

Honestly, I feel the opposite considering how little they've shown us.

I can't see it this way at all. Part of what made the original such a hit when it came out was the sense of mystery going in and to be honest I think we have, at least after today, seen quite enough. It's at the point where if they keep showing more, surprises will start to reveal themselves and the more you know especially when it comes to horror, the less effective.

Graphics look bad
Gameplay looks bad
Story maybe something?
VR showcase? Seems like there is some scenes that are made to move your head without you moving yours, that seems weird.

Graphics are bad? I think they look quite good.

And we'll see how VR is implemented in the end. May be different from standard version.

Graphics look bad
Gameplay looks bad
Story maybe something?

OK_thumb.png

Wat.

RE4 is barely scary.

That's certainly not the general public reception though. Which is why it's striking when even less enthusiast gamers talk (at least to me) about how 5 and 6 are just weird action flicks. The brand certainly isn't all that great despite 6 doing high sales numbers. And core gamers shit on the game anyway.

Sesha

People are free to enjoy RE5 or even 6 more than 4.

They are not free to act shocked that most others don't share that view.

There's a difference between enjoying something and making claims like "RE5 is better than RE4 in every way". At least try and argue why. That's why we're here on GAF, right? To discuss things? Instead of covering our ears and going "lalalalala". Prime example right now being the Turning off consoles instead of standby mode thread.

But this is all off-topic so never mind, I guess.

I can't see it this way at all. Part of what made the original such a hit when it came out was the sense of mystery going in and to be honest I think we have, at least after today, seen quite enough. It's at the point where if they keep showing more, surprises will start to reveal themselves and the more you know especially when it comes to horror, the less effective.

I'm pretty confident we're not seeing anything more than this.

If more, yeah at this point I'm probably blacking out myself. But I feel a bait-n-switch in the works, which makes me more interested in looking at more of the trailers.

Looks great, like it could be the scariest gaming experience I've ever had. Glad it's apparently coming together nicely. As a longtime fan of the series who feels it has gotten stale, I'm quite pleased with how it's shaping up.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
hope the media keeps the hype in check for this game.. if it gets blown out of proportion it can easily underwhelm.

would much rather them say its a good game and it turn into amazing game and reviews... than them claiming its the best thing of 2017 already give it great reviews and the public generally hates it and thinks it was blown out of proportion

happy to see it coming along swimmingly though

Kazuhira

Yeah me too but i feel pretty optimistic after reading some of those impressions.

There's a difference between enjoying something and making claims like "RE5 is better than RE4 in every way". At least try and argue why. That's why we're here on GAF, right? To discuss things? Instead of covering our ears and going "lalalalala". Prime example right now being the Turning off consoles instead of standby mode thread.

I think 4 is a better game, but I did enjoy 5 more. I liked its heavier connection to the story over what 4 did, the soundtrack, the gameplay was pretty much just as good for me, Wesker, the huge b-movie bosses, etc. I also stand firm in the belief that 4 runs on for way too long, people often praise the pacing and while it is really good in general, I do think it's too long which for me is a pacing problem. 5 was just a leaner game for me.

That being said, again, I do think 4 is "better" but I prefer 5. I don't feel strongly enough about it to argue with someone who thinks otherwise as that's also perfectly valid. I also think 6 is fun as fuck, but I don't ever want another RE like it.

Graphics look bad
Gameplay looks bad
Story maybe something?
The game is 60fps though!!! It looks good for what it is. The early ps4 pro shots look great so that's where i'll be playing.

Top Bottom