• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

For first playthroughs, which character should you start off with? I started with Jill, but I'm still at the beginning so I could switch if Chris is recommended

For first playthroughs, which character should you start off with? I started with Jill, but I'm still at the beginning so I could switch if Chris is recommended

Jill is generall a bit easier (Not as much as in the original PS1 game but still easier.)

One of her biggest perks are two more inventory slots, that means less backtracking to make space for other items.

is this true gaf?
every puzzle changed and new ones? i might get it if it's that different

Most puzzles are somewhat similiar but extended, a very few puzzles are exactly the same (Though the necessary items might be found in a different place.) and then there are entirely new puzzles and areas.

Jill is generall a bit easier (Not as much as in the original PS1 game but still easier.)

One of her biggest perks are two more inventory slots, that means less backtracking to make space for other items.

Definitely Jill. Easier to learn the puzzles, routes and how to handle your items with two more inventory slots.

Cool, so I can continue on this playthrough then. Thanks

Most puzzles are somewhat similiar but extended, a very few puzzles are exactly the same (Though the necessary items might be found in a different place.) and then there are entirely new puzzles and areas.

new areas??? they added new puzzles and new to the gamecube version?
wow this is the first time i'm hearing about this, well done capcom!

edit: i should re-iterate what i mean is did they add new areas and puzzles to the remaster version?

new areas??? they added new puzzles and new areas to the gamecube version?
wow this is the first time i'm hearing about this, well done capcom!

Oh, then you'll be pleasently surprised. There's a lot of new content apart from new puzzles.

edit: i should re-iterate what i mean is did they add to the gamecube version?

Oh...no, in that case no. All the puzzles, enemies and areas are exactly the same.

Oh, then you'll be pleasently surprised. There's a lot of new content apart from new puzzles.

sorry i think i've confused people, i played the gamecube version hundreds of times, what i mean is did they add new puzzles and areas for this remaster?

Oh...no, in that case no. All the puzzles, enemies and areas are exactly the same.

rats, i didn't think it was possible for capcom to add that many changes and additions.
not that they needed to though, game is a masterpiece and looks just as good as on the gamecube when playing on a sdtv.

-MD-

Game looks so good I could cry. Tried the new analog controls for 10 seconds and wow are they bad lol.

sorry i think i've confused people, i played the gamecube version hundreds of times, what i mean is did they add new puzzles and areas for this remaster?

No.

Synless

I thought this game was ~15Gb? I started my download this morning and it statted that high and shrunk down to ~3ish Gb.

Shining

I played trough this (GC version) last fall and it's too soon to play it again. But i will be buying this at some point. That will be the 4th time i'm buying this game, lol. So good.

srst

I'm torn between which control style to use. Alternative is easier to control but I'm always crashing up against the wall when the camera changes breaking the immersion and flow. Should I master Classic with Type B layout or just suck it up?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So as someone new to this game. Should I be running from most Zombies or trying to engage? I feel like the amount of ammo I had to pump in the first Zombie alone was enough that I should probably just run...?

Also, I hear so many great things about RE2 as well. Any chance they will do a RE2Make if this sells well enough?

Cob32

Not sure if this has been posted but for playstation users in the uk and possibly the rest of Europe, it's available on the web-store.

GeNoMe

Hunter's 1 hit KO don't decapitate >.>

What is it with decapitations and censorship. I remember being super pissed by the fact that the EU version of ninja gaiden didn't have decapitations.

Thank god black came out when it did.

*ontopic*
I'm still stuck at work unable to play this monster of a game!
Haven't touched the GCN version in like forever!

-MD-

Took like 27 hits with a knife to kill the first zombie lol.

I'm torn between which control style to use. Alternative is easier to control but I'm always crashing up against the wall when the camera changes breaking the immersion and flow. Should I master Classic with Type B layout or just suck it up?

Classic B. I'm using it and it feels great.

4 - 5 hours left till the sun goes away and I'll start playing. The wait is killing me.

Curtains!

gelf

So as someone new to this game. Should I be running from most Zombies or trying to engage? I feel like the amount of ammo I had to pump in the first Zombie alone was enough that I should probably just run...?

My rule is, if you think you can get through by running then always run. Save ammo for the tightest corridors.

A good method to dodge zombies even in tight corridors, get close enough that they try to grab you and when they fail, right there is your window to run past.

Generally though, like with all classic RE's, you only really have to be careful with ammo during the first area of the game.

JimPanzer

first time playing it (besides a timed demo when I was a kid). three hours in and loving it. game oozes atmosphere. one question: how am I supposed to burn zombies? I got the lighter but can't use it on them. am I missing something?

first time playing it (besides a timed demo when I was a kid). three hours in and loving it. game oozes atmosphere. one question: how am I supposed to burn zombies? I got the lighter but can't use it on them. am I missing something?

You need to find the canteen and fill it with fuel first. When standing on top of a downed zombie use the canteen, not the lighter. You need to have both in your inventory though.

Gurish

I'm having a hard time choosing between 16:9 or 4:3, I keep switching between the two and can't decide which looks better, each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, quick survey GAF- how do you prefer to play the game?

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm having a hard time choosing between 16:9 or 4:3, I keep switching between the two and can't decide which looks better, each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, quick survey GAF- how do you prefer to play the game?

Widescreen 16:9. I get what the purists are saying but I just don't like empty space on-screen these days.

Equally (and believe me when I say the first three classic RE's are my favourites and I've been a RE member since '96), I'm having more fun with the new control scheme than original Tank (I'm glad it's there though should I choose)

Fasty

I haven't played this since the original PS1 version. So I watched the gameplay trailer and they still have the doors that take ages to open as you go from room to room that, as far as I know, were only there to mask loading times and to make the game 100 times more tedious than it needed to be! Is there an option to turn these off or what? The unrelenting door and stair case animations were the reason I never finished the original game.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Soo. Killed my first Zombie or 2 as Jill. Seems as if every door is locked.

Damn I feel like a newbie.

Ah. Found a door. Got killed by walls and a statue lol.

This is going to take some adjusting, but I'm liking it so far.

I hope everyone buys this and forces Capcom to release an updated version of Resident Evil 2. I've been waiting for that game for over a decade.

That's not happening. I'm just hoping for 0 at this point, though that leak seems to indicate it's already happening.

I haven't played this since the original PS1 version. So I watched the gameplay trailer and they still have the doors that take ages to open as you go from room to room that, as far as I know, were only there to mask loading times and to make the game 100 times more tedious than it needed to be! Is there an option to turn these off or what? The unrelenting door and stair case animations were the reason I never finished the original game.

No option but if you're on PC you can expect a mod for that soon.

leng jai

How is the sound quality and mix in this? The last RE game I played was RE5 and that was one of the most compressed and poor audio I've ever heard in a game.

liquidtmd

Banned
If REMake 2 is too much work, I would really like a cleaned up as best as possible RE2 and RE3 double pack digital release at a strong price point. Sure they wouldn't be amazing visually, but I just want to own them again in one place (PS4)

People who say 'lazy Capcom' are missing the point. I wanted to own REMake again and long since ditched my Wii. It's a great game and this has given me the choice to buy. I would like the same choice again.

Ducktail

Also, I hear so many great things about RE2 as well. Any chance they will do a RE2Make if this sells well enough?

If you can run, run! They will later come back as Crimsom Heads if you kill them, and believe me, you don't want that.

HeelPower

Fuck!

It's been a long time since death meant so much in a game.

I died after so much progress ,desperately trying to get into a save room.

Gaddang this game! Beautiful to look at too!

This is going to be the 1st playing this properly ( had disc problems with it on PSX so couldn't play it)

I miss the old RE games with pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls and loved RE2.

That and Gran Turismo were the two games that stood out when I bought my PSX.

Edit: playgo finished, game is starting up!

Here's the start up screen.
Il1y4ZY.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
How is the sound quality and mix in this? The last RE game I played was RE5 and that was one of the most compressed and poor audio I've ever heard in a game.

Did you play it on Xbox 360? Horribly compressed sound was the main reason I played multiplats on PS3 last gen.

-MD-

This is going to be the 1st playing this properly ( had disc problems with it on PSX so couldn't play it)

I miss the old RE games with pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls and loved RE2.

That and Gran Turismo were the two games that stood out when I bought my PSX.

Edit: playgo finished, game is starting up!

Take it slow and enjoy yourself, your first playthrough will be a memorable one.

KyleCross

So the present issues I'm having with the PC version:

- Audio desync in in-game cutscenes. Longer the cutscene goes on the more out of sync it becomes. This only happens when playing in 60fps, issue is gone completely in 30.
- Lagging by complete random when met with complexity. For example the main hall with the mirroring floor, or the birdcage hallway with the swinging light. Sometimes these areas are fine, sometimes they're laggy.
- Putting the game at a lower resolution (just did this because I wanted to see how the backgrounds would look at a lower resolution) results in the game simply shrinking in size putting pillar and letterboxing around the game.
- The mouse cursor does not hide, you simply have to move it off the side of the screen.

I'm going to hold off for awhile before going balls deep into my first ever playthrough of this game to see if these issues will get fixed.

Sectus

I am super confused about one thing.

The 360 and PS3 versions has a music glitch which makes a lot of the music play at the wrong speed and pitch. I'm pretty sure the same glitch is in xbox one, ps4, and pc versions of the game.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvajuZkmDo
This is how the song is supposed to sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdANb4aGC_c

Now then, for people who pre-ordered it on steam, go to the game directory and look at the soundtrack. Play track 27. Did they "fix" it by pretending the glitched version of the music is now the correct version? I'm pretty sure this "music box" version of the music is in no other version of the soundtrack.

Top Bottom