• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Wallach

Kintaro said:
Sigh. The shit I do for MMOs and playing with Gaf folk. May as well preorder. I know nothing (NOTHING) about this game, so I'll go in sight unseen.

Check to see if the 20% off code from President's Day is still active (it was yesterday). It made the digital CE just under $50 and they have an exclusive pet (an undead kitten which is pretty win). I think the code was "Hailtothechief".

There's also a free hat for all your RIFT characters you can get for doing a TF2 achievement, which is really easy (killing someone within 5 seconds of exiting an Engineer's teleporter).

Einbroch

Banned
While it will be impossible to balance every single soul, they don't necessarily have to. They just have to balance 3-4 souls per calling because you can switch to them any time you want. Healers need a melee, spell caster, and healer balanced. Warriors need a few tanks and a few DPS balanced. And on and on.

Of course we want every soul to be balanced, but I just don't see it happening. I'd rather have 12 souls be balanced while keeping them unique rather than WoW's recent focus on homogenization and have all souls be balanced.

My brother and I are going Guardian, Deepstrike server. No guild, but the server sounds sweet. Deep strike? Hell yeah!

Concept17

Darkshier said:
Pre-ordered last night based on the good GAF impressions. I will start on Belmont with the rest of ya, while keeping a close eye on the PVP servers. Still trying to decide what kind of healer I want to be. Probably a Warden eventually and I'll use Justicar to level. Hopefully that should work out OK. Also signed up for Lotus Cross at the website.

I don't recommend Justicar for leveling purposes. It is the tank cleric class and as such offers more support and survivability than it does dps. I recommend using either Shaman or Druid for solo'ing/dps purposes. Both have high survivability as well. Cabalist or Inquisitor if you're looking to go caster dps.

Justicar: group support/tanking/survivability
Shaman: dps/survivability
Druid: dps/survivability/pet class/some range
Warden: HoTs
Sentinel: single target/group heals
Purifier: shields/heals
Cabalist: dps caster
Inquisitor: dps caster

I haven't had the chance to really try out Druid or Inquisitor. Based on what I've seen and the talents I think the Druid offers a bit more utility while the shaman is a bit more DPS.

For anyone looking for more info on particular classes and how they play, check out this channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/tgnRift I think it was posted a page or two back.

Concept17 said:
I don't recommend Justicar for leveling purposes. It is the tank cleric class and as such offers more support and survivability than it does dps. I recommend using either Shaman or Druid for solo'ing/dps purposes. Both have high survivability as well. Cabalist or Inquisitor if you're looking to go caster dps.

Justicar: group support/tanking/survivability
Shaman: dps/survivability
Druid: dps/survivability/pet class/some range
Warden: HoTs
Sentinel: single target/group heals
Purifier: shields/heals
Cabalist: dps caster
Inquisitor: dps caster

I haven't had the chance to really try out Druid or Inquisitor. Based on what I've seen and the talents I think the Druid offers a bit more utility while the shaman is a bit more DPS.

For anyone looking for more info on particular classes and how they play, check out this channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/tgnRift I think it was posted a page or two back.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I'll probably try the Shaman out and see how it goes. Definitely going to watch some of those youtube videos to get an idea of how some of these classes work.

1stStrike

Banned
mxgt said:
With so many souls the game will be impossible to fully balance. I hope they don't let too many souls run rampant though.

The official forums classes area has been rife with large amounts of whining throughout the beta and it's probably going to continue.

They've already put out some more balances in the classes - it looks like discharge on the warrior is going to 10 seconds and they nerfed a bunch of skills on the marksman. They're pretty good at balance and while some things do take trial and error, I've been pretty happy with their adjustments thus far.

oktarb

Pre-ordered it based off of this thread. See you guys online I shall be joining Lotus Cross if you'll have me.

Wallach

1stStrike said:
They've already put out some more balances in the classes - it looks like discharge on the warrior is going to 10 seconds and they nerfed a bunch of skills on the marksman. They're pretty good at balance and while some things do take trial and error, I've been pretty happy with their adjustments thus far.

Yeah, it will take some time and I imagine fixes will come fast and frequent for a while.

Was having a discussion on the forums about Saboteurs, I would expect their charge stacking mechanic to get a rather quick nerf early on.

1stStrike

Banned
oktarb said:
Pre-ordered it based off of this thread. See you guys online I shall be joining Lotus Cross if you'll have me.

Sure thing. Just join up on our forums and be sure to message myself or Ashodin for an invite on release day.

Wallach said:
Yeah, it will take some time and I imagine fixes will come fast and frequent for a while.

Was having a discussion on the forums about Saboteurs, I would expect their charge stacking mechanic to get a rather quick nerf early on.

*sighs* Sabo's aren't overpowered. People are just too dumb to look at their debuffs and either cleanse (the charges count as a poison) or get out of range. Also, it takes about 6 -7 seconds to build up the charges and then detonate them. It's spike damage, but the overall DPS isn't higher then any other class.

Plus, sabo's are squishy as hell by nature. You can't be an effective sabo with a riftstalker build and be all beefy - you pretty much have to make a lean, all or nothing, armor piercing DPS build which leaves you lacking on HP by quite a bit. In my sabo build it didn't take much to kill me and if someone got close it was very difficult for me to escape (almost never happened)

Wallach

1stStrike said:
*sighs* Sabo's aren't overpowered. People are just too dumb to look at their debuffs and either cleanse (the charges count as a poison) or get out of range. Also, it takes about 6 -7 seconds to build up the charges and then detonate them. It's spike damage, but the overall DPS isn't higher then any other class.

Plus, sabo's are squishy as hell by nature. You can't be an effective sabo with a riftstalker build and be all beefy - you pretty much have to make a lean, all or nothing, armor piercing DPS build which leaves you lacking on HP by quite a bit. In my sabo build it didn't take much to kill me and if someone got close it was very difficult for me to escape (almost never happened)

I'm not saying they are overpowered, really. I don't have a problem with the class mechanics in general. Just the case where the single type of charges only rolls crit chance a single time upon detonation. That winds up being a significant problem in their crit scaling and actually kind of hurts the class.

1stStrike

Banned
Wallach said:
I'm not saying they are overpowered, really. I don't have a problem with the class mechanics in general. Just the case where the single type of charges only rolls crit chance a single time upon detonation. That winds up being a significant problem in their crit scaling and actually kind of hurts the class.

Ah. If you gear yourself for crit it's not too bad. Plus, with carpet bombing you can throw your next 3 annihilation bombs with no cool down (no timer on it - just your next 3).

nyong

Banned
To be fair to Trion, there were only a few stand-out classes that sucked to go against in beta. Blast charge (sab) and those pew-pewing warriors in my case. All of which are being fixed in one way or another. My biggest concern is how easy it is to ride the flavor-of-the-month train. It's almost too easy to respec.

EDIT: And yeah, it's not that Sabs were overpowered per se...it was that their bombs were too hard to detect with Trion's messy interface. Next patch the "ticking" sound should help alot.

Wallach

1stStrike said:
Ah. If you gear yourself for crit it's not too bad. Plus, with carpet bombing you can throw your next 3 annihilation bombs with no cool down (no timer on it - just your next 3).

Well, all I mean is it will hurt the class down the line. Worst case scenario the damage gets nerfed to account for the regularity of high burst, or they limit the stack total from an individual charge type. They just need to make a stack of charges from the same type roll crit checks for each charge, like they do with different types of charges upon detonation. I think this is part of why people complained about Saboteurs so much, really. The way the numbers work I almost wonder if it's just a limitation they have yet to code around, because it's not something that is really viable to leave in the game.

jersoc

signed up for the gaf guild. Looking forward to tomorrow. Let me know if you guys still need a cleric, otherwise i'll probably roll with a caster. Either I enjoy.

Wallach

1stStrike said:
Congrats, you are far more analytical then I am when it comes to classes :p

Guilty as charged. Unfortunately I think if it is changed now it will likely be perceived as a nerf anyway, but I think it would be better changed sooner than later as to avoid problems with it down the line.

Swag

I know lots of you guys are playing this for PvP, but did anyone else think that the PvE encounters in the dungeons were amazingly simple?

Hardest thing I encountered was the last boss in DSM but this was mostly because most people were getting used to classes I suppose and not able to pump out high DPS, on top of the Rift bosses being pure tank and spanks I'm kinda worried PvE will be zzz.

Mind you I'm talking purely from the perspective of not seeing a lot of 35+ and not knowing what the Greenscale Blight bosses mechanics were, but from that video it seemed like throw tons of adds at you / Deal With It.

Trying to spark discussion, I know I should wait and see

BrettWeir

nyong said:
To be fair to Trion, there were only a few stand-out classes that sucked to go against in beta. Blast charge (sab) and those pew-pewing warriors in my case. All of which are being fixed in one way or another. My biggest concern is how easy it is to ride the flavor-of-the-month train. It's almost too easy to respec.

EDIT: And yeah, it's not that Sabs were overpowered per se...it was that their bombs were too hard to detect with Trion's messy interface. Next patch the "ticking" sound should help alot.
Are there notes for what is changing between B7 and retail?

Items like the Sab discussion is what makes me love MMOs. So many little intricacies to learn makes a game fun.

1stStrike

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
I know lots of you guys are playing this for PvP, but did anyone else think that the PvE encounters in the dungeons were amazingly simple?

Hardest thing I encountered was the last boss in DSM but this was mostly because most people were getting used to classes I suppose and not able to pump out high DPS, on top of the Rift bosses being pure tank and spanks I'm kinda worried PvE will be zzz.

Mind you I'm talking purely from the perspective of not seeing a lot of 35+ and not knowing what the Greenscale Blight bosses mechanics were, but from that video it seemed like throw tons of adds at you / Deal With It.

It's a common topic on the rift forums. Basically, the dungeons are mediium to mild difficulty (depending on your level and group - you can easily get wiped if you're not a high enough level or have a bad group so it's not like it's that easy).

Once you hit lvl 50 the expert dungeons unlock and you can go back into any of the previous dungeons to face new mobs/bosses and see new sections that were previously locked off. This is where you're going to see all the really hard boss fights.

Though, there are definitely some challenging ones in the 30's and 40's from what I experienced and they're still tweaking them a bit.

jersoc

Sebulon3k said:

I hope Trion moves towards a better model than Blizzard. Blizzard is like, well, we need 2 tanks and 2 healers sprinkle in some dragons as the boss, add in some stupid lame ass ae dmg so healers feel like ripping their balls off add in stupid cleave so on top of healing tanks, ae dmg you need to heal all melee that much more then to top it all off make it drop loot that no one in the raid can use!

/bitter

I would love to have boss fights more puzzle like rather than just straight up dps everything you see. Let the healers and tank in on the fun sometimes too. The current model of boss fights is well over a decade old. How the hell have they not evolved yet? I'm speaking more of the raids rather than 5 man instances and the like. Hell, most dungeon boss fights are far more fun than raid bosses in WoW that is.

1stStrike

Banned
Projectjustice said:
So everyone is going PVE?? No PvP servers players here?

We have some people that are going PvP only but they're in the vast minority right now. Maybe 5 or 6 of them vs about 35 - 40 of us going onto Belmont.

jersoc said:
I hope Trion moves towards a better model than Blizzard. Blizzard is like, well, we need 2 tanks and 2 healers sprinkle in some dragons as the boss, add in some stupid lame ass ae dmg so healers feel like ripping their balls off add in stupid cleave so on top of healing tanks, ae dmg you need to heal all melee that much more then to top it all off make it drop loot that no one in the raid can use!

/bitter

I would love to have boss fights more puzzle like rather than just straight up dps everything you see. Let the healers and tank in on the fun sometimes too. The current model of boss fights is well over a decade old. How the hell have they not evolved yet? I'm speaking more of the raids rather than 5 man instances and the like. Hell, most dungeon boss fights are far more fun than raid bosses in WoW that is.

The first raid in the game is a maze. After you find your way to the boss, the mage re-shapes and you have to find your way through to the next boss, and so on. Also, there's puzzles throughout the game that you have to locate and can solve for a blue/purple reward (the lvl 30 epic bow I got in the beta was from a hidden location on top of a mountain).

I think they're going to have some cool boss fights ahead for us.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I registered and filled out an app for the guild. Hopefully thats what I needed to do. Going in cold and would like to play with fellow GAF members whenever possible.

jersoc

1stStrike said:
We have some people that are going PvP only but they're in the vast minority right now. Maybe 5 or 6 of them vs about 35 - 40 of us going onto Belmont.

The first raid in the game is a maze. After you find your way to the boss, the mage re-shapes and you have to find your way through to the next boss, and so on. Also, there's puzzles throughout the game that you have to locate and can solve for a blue/purple reward (the lvl 30 epic bow I got in the beta was from a hidden location on top of a mountain).

I think they're going to have some cool boss fights ahead for us.

cool, that sounds like it could be fun. Is the maze randomized every time? Probably don't know, but it would ruin the fun if there were like 3 mazes it choose from.

Blackheim

Ohhh, I haven't posted in this one yet >_> Yeah, I'm in on this shindig as well, as some of you already know. The plan is to be a MM/R/RS Rogue and craft Outfitter :D

Swag

jersoc said:

/bitter

I didn't wanna mention WoW in my post, because I knew someone else would reply using it as an example, I guess I was baiting.

Now then, although I have my criticisms with the WoW approach to PvE encounters, I think Blizzard for the most part does a good job at designing interesting fights, with interesting mechanics, even though if you break them down to their core they may seem fairly simplistic, majority of them are actually quite interesting and more then the Tank n Spank you described in paragraph one, Four Horsemen, Mimiron, Hodir, Yogg-Saron, Algalon, Faction Champions, Saurfang, Putricide, Lanathel, Arthas to name a few encounters from Wrath alone that don't apply to the mold of your complaint.

But I'd rather not turn this into a WoW focused discussion, I wanna talk about Rift. The puzzle based encounters would be a cool idea, but I'd imagine past the first time you clear it the novelty would wear off, and it would become trivial because you've solved it, the fun is gone unless you make it a dynamic puzzle which changes every instance ID.

Yeah the puzzle idea for GB is cool, but what does it actually do outside of change the dungeon layout, isn't it just adding new paint to the same car model ( Wrong analogy probably ), the bosses are still the same just their position is different, it's a nice new take on the dungeon design aspect but I don't really see the excitement behind it.

As for the enjoyment of a fight increasing being a DPS I think it's a little more complicated then your making it out to be, as a healer I enjoy the challenge of keeping everyone alive while still having to keep up with boss mechanics, similarly as a tank I enjoy being able to maintain a high TPS and keeping the fight controlled while dealing with the mechanics, DPSing can be one of the most boring aspects of a fight, because a lot of mechanics ( at least from my experience in WoW ) are targeted towards Tanks / Healers ( See; Infest, Unchained Magic, Mark of the Fallen Champion, to name a few )

Also Lore said it better then I probably ever could as to your complaint about encounter design

J-Rzez

Weenerz said:
Do it via steam to get the TF2 weapons!

3.76mb/s, will be done in 35 minutes!

Sorry if I missed this, what are the TF2 weapons? Are they the one's you earn from doing achievements with I guess TF2 on PC? Are they any good?

I'll be going on a non-carebear server. Seastone sounds like there were a few Gaffers on before, so I guess that's the one for me.

Rapstah

J-Rzez said:
Sorry if I missed this, what are the TF2 weapons? Are they the one's you earn from doing achievements with I guess TF2 on PC? Are they any good?
Scout bat that mini-crits burning enemies, Pyro axe that ignites people. They're not good, but if you get them from pre-ordering the items have green tags and are called "Genuine" as a prefix. Not tradable.

Wallach

arts&crafts said:
Anyone know about a preload today? or do i have to wait til im off work tomorrow to dl 7gigs and patch :(

You can download everything now through Trion's launcher. I'm pretty sure Steam will only ever offer the launcher download, but really Trion's servers are faster than I have ever seen Steam offer anyway.

Prodigal

Banned
Just got my monthly issue of PC Gamer - Rift is their cover story and they have a 3 or 4 page article about launch day preparation and an overview of the unique aspects of the game for the uninformed. There's also a handful of suggested builds for each of the 4 roles aimed at people who don't really want to experiment and just want a solid build. Overall it seems like they're having a good time with it, hopefully that'll encourage more people to get it.

LowParry

I know I'll be doing pvp and still joining the Belmont server. Will be doing a lot of....uh...battlegrounds or whatever the hell they're called. The others I'm bringing with will be doing the same. Overall, we'll probably do a good mix of pvp and pve. Just depends on what's going on, who's on, etc.

BigAT

Anyone have much experience playing a Warrior during the beta? I'm trying to decide on a build focused on speedy leveling, although I plan to go pure tank eventually, and I'm leaning towards going Champion/Paragon/Riftblade, with my main focus being on the first two souls.

Morn

Banned
BigAT said:
Anyone have much experience playing a Warrior during the beta? I'm trying to decide on a build focused on speedy leveling, although I plan to go pure tank eventually, and I'm leaning towards going Champion/Paragon/Riftblade, with my main focus being on the first two souls.

Riftblade/Paragon/Beastmaster is decently fast leveling.

Top Bottom