• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Swag

Do mouse pads actually do anything, I've been using my table instead of a pad and it seems to work just fine

Sebulon3k said:
Do mouse pads actually do anything, I've been using my table instead of a pad and it seems to work just fine

They were needed for Track Ball mice and some crappy laser mice.
But most mice these days are Optical and can work smoothly on pretty much any surface.

Concept17

Door2Dawn said:
I kinda want to play this. But at the same time I really don't want to play this. Does that make any sense?

For the most part I've been out of MMOs for the last 2 years. I've spent tons of money on other games in that time, and very few of them hold my attention for a fraction of the time a MMO can. Which is why I've been avoiding them. I don't really have the lifestyle to play them as often as I used to, but I've also learned self control. Its easy to get caught up in the game and it often feels like a race just playing. I've learned to relax a little and just enjoy it without becoming obsessed with trying to obtain something. It actually makes the game that much more enjoyable for me. The game also seems to have a nice balance between solo and grouping, which is great for me.

Sebulon3k said:

The only real effect they have is simply how your mouse feels while moving across them, which to some makes a big difference - but is primarily for FPS. I've tried many different types, and the 15-20$ rocketfish control/speed pad from Best Buy is my favorite for both RTS and FPS. (and any game really)

Wallach

Sebulon3k said:

For me it's really just a texture thing. I prefer to have a smooth cloth texture surface to slide across than hard surfaces. Hate the hard surface mouse pads as much as just using my desk.

Effect

Game is all downloaded and patched. I have an extra day off coming that I can take at any time (due to coming in on a holiday) and I think I'll take it this Friday. :) Actually looking forward to this now. Still going into this with a big unknown. I think I understand how the class system works finally and that's pretty much it. Everything is going new. Though the last time I did that was Final Fantasy XIV and we know how that ended. Still the impression for this are very good, that or a huge amount of people are lying their asses off as some big trick. Just only now starting to read through the wiki but I think I'm going to go with a caster class. Usually what I'm best at playing as in MMOs, at least starting out.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
God Rift is such a pretty game when you have the hardware to run it nicely with max effects, can't wait to play this with upgraded hardware
Yeah thats one of the reasons I'm hesitant to jump in. The game looked like complete shit on my computer.

1stStrike

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
Yeah thats one of the reasons I'm hesitant to jump in. The game looked like complete shit on my computer.

Yeah it's one of the games where if you want to really appreciate the world you need to run it at high or max settings. I tried low once and was like GAH! *quickly raises it back to max* :p

Ferny

Hey 1st ive been trying to register on the guild forums but keep saying 'an error has occurred' and ive triple checked everything.

KScorp

Rift patcher decided to dump my previous DL progress, so I might have to redownload 6GB... trying the recovery function but even that takes ages.

I don't know how they store it, but it worked fine several other times (pausing the DL, restarting my computer, resuming) and all of a sudden it's gone. Game seemed OK from the little bit I played but the patcher is just shit.

Edit: Yep, it's all gone.

1stStrike

Banned
Ferny73 said:
Hey 1st ive been trying to register on the guild forums but keep saying 'an error has occurred' and ive triple checked everything.

Sorry about that. Looks like a anti-spam plugin I had enabled was spazzing out a bit based on the error log. I've removed it and verified registrations are working normally again.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
KScorp said:
Rift patcher decided to dump my previous DL progress, so I might have to redownload 6GB... trying the recovery function but even that takes ages.

I don't know how they store it, but it worked fine several other times (pausing the DL, restarting my computer, resuming) and all of a sudden it's gone. Game seemed OK from the little bit I played but the patcher is just shit.

Edit: Yep, it's all gone.
Happened to me a few times during Beta and yesterday. This patcher needs an upgrade.

1stStrike

Banned
Brazil said:
Happened to me a few times during Beta and yesterday. This patcher needs an upgrade.

They should probably just make a torrent for the full client for people that are less fortunate then the rest of us with their internet :p

Huyabasa said:
Will this be the wow killer?

Trion doesn't have a trillion dollars and Mr T, so no.
Nothing will kill WoW except Blizzard themselves.

Doesn't make it any less of a great (and arguably better) alternative.

Hawk269

AceBandage said:
Trion doesn't have a trillion dollars and Mr T, so no.
Nothing will kill WoW except Blizzard themselves.

Doesn't make it any less of a great (and arguably better) alternative.

I wouldnt say that they cant do it becuase of money. I think that if they support the game and keep updating, tweaking and adding more content then they have a chance. The biggest challenge will be getting people to stay on board after the first 30 days. I will stay on board as long as they support the game with fixes and content. Nothing kills a game more for me is when the developer does nothing to support the game. Being that Trion seems to be working their asses off to make the beta run as good as they could, I can only imagine that with "paying" customers they are going to try to do everything humanly possible to continue to update the game and make it better.

I am not a WoW player, though I have played it before and I am not a big MMO game player, with that said, Rift has me hooked to the point where I got the collectors edition, I have the client downloaded and ready to go tomorrow when I get home from work. As a someone novice to the MMO world, I am really looking forward to it like I normally do for the high profile single player games.

I tell you this right now though, if Trion is not listening to the community and updating the game for even the smallest of bugs/issues, I will drop them like a bad habit...to me an MMO needs contant support/updates...so Trion, don't disapoint me...I think they have a great base going and it can only get better if truley supported.

Somnia

Considering Scott Hartsman is the man you have nothing to worry about with them NOT updating the game and fixing stuff. He's the man who turned around EQ2 and made it a real game. The guy is very talented and is the main reason I even looked at this game at first.

J-Rzez

Like I said, the latest debacle that blizzard brought onto themselves, along with cata's content being "too shallow" after the honeymoon has passed, Rift will only benefit from this. Slay WoW, no, but it will be easily self-sustainable I believe thus far.

Sucks I have work so I won't get to sign on until tomorrow afternoon, but oh well. Loaded and ready to go. Still tallying up how many guildies are coming with me, so far looks to be 6 not including myself from our main raid group (10-man guild).

J-Rzez said:
Like I said, the latest debacle that blizzard brought onto themselves, along with cata's content being "too shallow" after the honeymoon has passed, Rift will only benefit from this. Slay WoW, no, but it will be easily self-sustainable I believe thus far.

Sucks I have work so I won't get to sign on until tomorrow afternoon, but oh well. Loaded and ready to go. Still tallying up how many guildies are coming with me, so far looks to be 6 not including myself from our main raid group (10-man guild).

I have to work in the morning, then go over to a friend's house after work, so I'll barely get to play at all.
Oh well, I have the entire weekend!

/foreveralone

Ashodin

I'm all over this tomorrow. I can't wait!!

Sooo many posts to reply to on the forums. I guess I could join the chat too...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
1stStrike said:
They should probably just make a torrent for the full client for people that are less fortunate then the rest of us with their internet :p
That could work too. Although the Blizzard patcher treats me very well.

Ashodin

I'll be reviewing all applications tonight. I'm not disbarring GAFers, but since you're coming from GAF I expect you to be awesome. :)

nyong

Banned
Maxrpg said:
I'll be reviewing all applications tonight. I'm not disbarring GAFers, but since you're coming from GAF I expect you to be awesome. :)
I'd love to make an alt in the GAF guild. I'll be leveling as slow as a friend (slow) on my primary, but I also plan to check out the Defiant storyline and such.

Oh yeah, new patch is up and the introduction video is now viewable.

1stStrike

Banned
We'll have a couple guys in the LC guild that will be mostly just playing with us whenever they feel like it. I'm officially dubbing you guys the Lotus Cross Reserves :p

Ashodin

1stStrike said:
We'll have a couple guys in the LC guild that will be mostly just playing with us whenever they feel like it. I'm officially dubbing you guys the Lotus Cross Reserves :p
I think I'll actually make those distinctions. It'll help people feel more organized and at home with their playstyle within the guild.

Hawk269

About 10 minutes ago, I was able to get to the screen where you select your server. Of course it said, servers were unavailable, but earlier it would not even get to that. I was able to set up my resolution and max out all the options (well most of them). I then decided to play the "intro movie" via the option on the bottom of the screen and yeah, it is a different intro than there was in the beeta. I am not sure if this intro has been seen or not, but I never seen it and it was really good, high quality...not the pixelated low-res look of the movies in the beta.

BTW..What is the main method of communication in the guild 1stStrike? I am a newer pc gamer and not sure if voice chat will be the preffered method or just k/b chat.

1stStrike said:
Yeah, he really nailed it with the music.
Speaking of which, that's the one thing I've been disappointed with so far in Rift...the music. Much of the time there's no music at all, and when there is music, it's only like 10 or 15 seconds long. Having just come from Final Fantasy XIV, the music is extremely substandard.

teiresias

I absolutely love the art style in this game, but I have never been able to give any MMO I've tried the time and attention to get the most out of it. I'm very ADD with MMOs for some reason (moreso than with regular single-player RPGs for some reason). Anyway, maybe I'll join someday, *sigh*

Wallach

Woooooooooooooow I just decided to look at the Chloromancer soul what the fuuuuuuu...

Very tempted to ditch the Cleric idea altogether for that class, it seems like it would be boss as hell for PvE healing.

1stStrike

Banned
Hawk269 said:
About 10 minutes ago, I was able to get to the screen where you select your server. Of course it said, servers were unavailable, but earlier it would not even get to that. I was able to set up my resolution and max out all the options (well most of them). I then decided to play the "intro movie" via the option on the bottom of the screen and yeah, it is a different intro than there was in the beeta. I am not sure if this intro has been seen or not, but I never seen it and it was really good, high quality...not the pixelated low-res look of the movies in the beta.

BTW..What is the main method of communication in the guild 1stStrike? I am a newer pc gamer and not sure if voice chat will be the preffered method or just k/b chat.

Nice, I'll definitely have to check out the new movie.

Also, we're going to be using ventrilo a lot, but many will be in-game too.

Ashodin

1stStrike said:
Nice, I'll definitely have to check out the new movie.

Also, we're going to be using ventrilo a lot, but many will be in-game too.
It's the CGI trailer they released earlier.

Maxrpg said:
It's the CGI trailer they released earlier.
Yeah, some of us never saw that - heck, I didn't read *anything* about Rift until the open-beta weekend (and now I've got the CE pre-ordered and my friends are gonna start playing tomorrow!)

LowParry

Meh, it seems my friends have already dedicated themselves to another server so I will not be with GAF on this. However I will share my stories :(

Top Bottom