• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
CcrooK said:
Meh, it seems my friends have already dedicated themselves to another server so I will not be with GAF on this. However I will share my stories :(

I hope you go guardians and are in the same warfronts as us :D

Ningo

Hey all,
I just joined the guild and my GAF account was only approved yesterday after a long time. So hey everyone, been lurking for a long time. looking forward to headstart, understatement much.

Ningo

Me too. Should be no problems on that front. Have witnessed bish's swift justice as a lurker. I am also an aussie from adelaide.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ningo said:
Me too. Should be no problems on that front. Have witnessed bish's swift justice as a lurker. I am also an aussie from adelaide.
In that case, these seem to be the unofficial Oceanic servers:

PVE : Wolfsbane
PVP: Briarcliff
RP-PVE: Faeblight

Ningo

Yea thanks, still looking to roll on Belmont though. Can be handy at times playing on a server with most in a different time zone. Had no problems in beta.

1stStrike

Banned
I think we have enough PST and vampires (like myself) to interact with. Having 4 days off a week and not working till 11 am on the days I do work does have its advantages :D

Morn

Banned
Somnia said:
Considering Scott Hartsman is the man you have nothing to worry about with them NOT updating the game and fixing stuff. He's the man who turned around EQ2 and made it a real game. The guy is very talented and is the main reason I even looked at this game at first.

Exactly. As long as he's in charge of the game I'll be subscribed.

desverger

1stStrike said:
I think we have enough PST and vampires (like myself) to interact with. Having 4 days off a week and not working till 11 am on the days I do work does have its advantages :D

Any thoughts about raid times and such yet?

I'm half seriously thinking about joining, but since I live in the EU, I suppose the times I could join up for official raids and such would be completely incompatible with you guys :p

1stStrike

Banned
desverger said:
Any thoughts about raid times and such yet?

I'm half seriously thinking about joining, but since I live in the EU, I suppose the times I could join up for official raids and such would be completely incompatible with you guys :p

Right now the tentative times are going to be 9 or 9:30 pm EST on thursday and a 11 pm EST raid on saturdays. Something like that. Most people seem to be pretty OK with the later times so we should be able to work with it. We'll also be doing 10 man raid rifts throughout the week.

It'll probably be early morning for you regardless of our schedule though, so I'm not sure how convenient that'd be for you to wake up at like 6 or 7 am on a saturday to play with us (plus being in europe i'm not sure how good your pings would be either).

knitoe

After thinking it through, I am probably going to just play casually. Don't want to get addicted like first days of WoW, spending 5+ hrs per day online and raiding pretty much every day. Have too many other games to play. Thus, I am going to role on Belmont. Is there still room in the guild for someone like me who probably won't raid much, if any?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Blah, im quite disapointed in you gaf for picking a PVE server. Im downloading the game now but i dont think i'll go to PVE, especially since like 95% of gaf MMO guilds fall down after a month or so.

PVP for life.

zugzug

Yep its 3:42am PST 6 hours before the headstart starts and I just now pre-ordered the Collectors edition from Wallmart.com only reason I went with wallmart the shambler companion pet.

I knew i was gonna get a boxed version of the Collectors Edition, just had to narrow it down. Its funny only the Trion website it does not talk about how the Direct 2 Drive version comes with a Corpse Kitty companion pet. Was sorta into that but Kittens always seem to small.

I wish I had stopped being lazy and waited till last moment I wish I was ready at 10am to log in an secure some iconic names but sadly I R Lazy and fail.

Undecided on server its gunna be a pvp server, undecided about Race, I am interested in Defiant but if thats the overpopulated side then I try to avoid that.

I get the feeling that Deepstrike PvP server will be most populated on that name as it speaks like a PvP server so I think I'll check out Seastone PvP or Reclaimer PvP server as those names are harmonious to me. Try to secure a couple names on Sunrest PvP-RP server.

TO Bad with the pre-order companion your in game character cannot get all 3 pre-order companions.

I'm really worried that this Game engine being used is not good enough to support many people in close proximity and lag/slowdown choppy FPS will start to happen.

Swag

zugzug said:
I'm really worried that this Game engine being used is not good enough to support many people in close proximity and lag/slowdown choppy FPS will start to happen.

The open beta didn't really have any problems with lag even during the Rift events or in the cities, and FPS choppiness is a client side problem ( ?? could be wrong ).

Either way the engine is up to par for the type of game that their going for, however you need a pretty up to date machine in order to maintain a high FPS in this on Ultra with everything on high.

Klyka

Banned
zugzug said:

You don't seem to have played the beta.

zugzug

your right I did not play it up high enough to try warfronts nor did i gather around any other PvP action however I'm seeing conflicting reports and discussion that this engine is not up to snuff on this matter so I guess you can continue to denigrate my worries.

Swag

zugzug said:
your right I did not play it up high enough to try warfronts nor did i gather around any other PvP action however I'm seeing conflicting reports and discussion that this engine is not up to snuff on this matter so I guess you can continue to denigrate my worries.

You'll be fine as long as you understand your computer's limitations.

BrettWeir

Marksman got hit hard....

Now to figure out what the fastest leveling Rogue soul is within 5.5 hours......

zugzug said:

I only ran into 1 slideshow during the beta, and I think that was due to memory leaks (which have since reportedly been fixed)

Quite a few ATI card users have issues, but it seems random. My specs are quite old, and it runs usually around 35fps, in rifts it drops down to 20s.

e8500
ATI 4850 1GB
Win7 64
1 TB HDD
4GB DDR2

Should be fine, just turn off shadows.

knitoe

Running 1900x1080 with everything max except no AA (using ATI's MLAA), ~30 FPS (crowded cities / rifts) and ~55 FPS (out nowhere). Framerates are pretty steady.

2600K@4.5GHz
ATI 6970
8 GB ram

And, the login is working, but the servers aren't available yet.

Ashes2049

Neo Member
Pre-ordered this yesterday whilst browsing through the steam store, was planning on going guardian but I think I will roll Defiant and join you guys on Belmont server if I can.
I didn't follow this game through development or even play any of the betas, but from what I've been reading so far it looks pretty solid. Should be playing once I get off work in 6hrs.

Dreamwriter said:
Speaking of which, that's the one thing I've been disappointed with so far in Rift...the music. Much of the time there's no music at all, and when there is music, it's only like 10 or 15 seconds long. Having just come from Final Fantasy XIV, the music is extremely substandard.

Actually, they did an interesting video about the music.
A lot of the music, especially for battles is dynamic. Which is why you don't hear it for long.
The more intense the fight, the more intense the music gets.
It's very interesting.

Ricker

knitoe said:
After thinking it through, I am probably going to just play casually. Don't want to get addicted like first days of WoW, spending 5+ hrs per day online and raiding pretty much every day. Have too many other games to play. Thus, I am going to role on Belmont. Is there still room in the guild for someone like me who probably won't raid much, if any?

I was still just a recruit in Lotus Cross but i`m sure being a casual is fine...I will raid some on Thursday,not sure for the weekend,definetly not during the summer because I am mostly at the trailer Park.

Downloading now to my new PC,I just hope I have no problem since my Windows 7 is 64 bits...downloading 5 MB/s =)

PaNaMa

Banned
Ningo said:
Just been reading the rift forums and apparently the fix used for fallout NV is helping some people. Here is a link to the file. http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34970 I will test and report back when headstart begins. Also the latest CF profiles include improvements for RIFT.

Ningo - Do you have a link to the Rift forums thread where this is discussed? Is there a way to check in a Rift config file what shaders are being used by your card, and a way to determine if they are correct?

My framerate improved considerably from beta6 to open beta, despite no changes to my setup or in-game graphics settings. A lot of my friends reported similar improvements.

Ningo

PaNaMa said:
Ningo - Do you have a link to the Rift forums thread where this is discussed?

Hey, just found the thread again: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?68673-performance-fix-work-around./

I only played the open beta and was averaging 55fps (i think i disabled shadows but rest were ultra with the non super sampling aa option, cant remember what it was called) with my i7 860 2.8ghz and 5870. But i have since updated my drivers and installed a second 5870 so it will be interesting how performance goes. I will load up without the fix from link above and then compare with the fix after. Must say I was shocked when I read this game used gamebryo today lol. time to get a few hrs sleep before headstart.

Ricker said:
I was still just a recruit in Lotus Cross but i`m sure being a casual is fine...I will raid some on Thursday,not sure for the weekend,definetly not during the summer because I am mostly at the trailer Park.

Downloading now to my new PC,I just hope I have no problem since my Windows 7 is 64 bits...downloading 5 MB/s =)

You shouldnt have any issues. Im running Rift on Win 7 64-bit.

PaNaMa

Banned
Ningo said:
Hey, just found the thread again: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?68673-performance-fix-work-around./

I only played the open beta and was averaging 55fps (i think i disabled shadows but rest were ultra with the non super sampling aa option, cant remember what it was called) with my i7 860 2.8ghz and 5870. But i have since updated my drivers and installed a second 5870 so it will be interesting how performance goes. I will load up without the fix from link above and then compare with the fix after. Must say I was shocked when I read this game used gamebryo today lol. time to get a few hrs sleep before headstart.

Cool, thanks. I'm running an old i3 Core 2 Quad q6600, stock. GPU is a HD5850 black edition. Framerate is all over the place, generally around 30-55 depending on what's going on. Can dip below 30 in cities and Rift events. Running 1680x1050, on High detail.

Updated to the 11.2 AMD drivers last night, and I'll make the morphological filtering change after work... apparently there's a Rift profile in the new drivers too, that supposedly improve things. Still, at the end of the day I can likve with ~40-odd fps average in an MMO.

Concept17

Just found out I have to go into work shortly after the servers come up and work most the day. =\

Will likely just have time to create my character and get a guild invite. I'll be on tonight for sure though.

Brashnir

Brazil said:
THIS.

FUCKING.

PATCHER.

Oh my God, Trion.

I just started mine up, and it's re-downloading the entire client again. Is this happening for everyone? I thought maybe it was just mine since I left the patcher running yesterday and when I got back to the computer, Windows had updated and restarted.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Brashnir said:
I just started mine up, and it's re-downloading the entire client again. Is this happening for everyone? I thought maybe it was just mine since I left the patcher running yesterday and when I got back to the computer, Windows had updated and restarted.
The thing follows no logic. If you change the names of the folders and click "Recover", sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. If you leave the folders as they are, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Brashnir

Brazil said:
The thing follows no logic. If you change the names of the folders and click "Recover", sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. If you leave the folders as they are, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

awesome. So I guess I should expect this to happen again when I try to log into the game in a few hours.

nataku

Strange. I've never had an issue with it in any of the betas I've been in.

Anyone know if they put the live patch notes up yet? I'm not seeing them on the forum.

BigAT

Brashnir said:
I just logged in and there were no problems for me.

A bunch of my friends and myself are going Seastone PVP server Defiant side. I did beta there and it was a high pop server. Which is most important to me, coming from the empty wasteland of Detheroc alliance. We going to start up a Guild on there if anyone wants to join me. I cant stand PVE servers. Too many Carebears.

Morn said:
They just announced via their Facebook page that they have more than 1 million accounts so far!
Wow, that's amazing for an MMO that's yet to be released. Still wobbling on whether to make a Rogue or a Cleric. Also tempted to roll on a PvP server...So many things to decide and not enough time to do it in!

1stStrike

Banned
knitoe said:

Yep, that's fine.

Also, remember that we have to actually level up and create the guild so it's going to be a little while before we get to that point.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Woo hoo, nut much longer to go. I have some running around to do in a bit, but gonna try and log in quick at go-live to create my character. The from mid afternoon it's go, go, go up to lvl 50. =D

Top Bottom