• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Carm

Well, I preordered the D2D CE since it was so cheap with the coupon, dunno how much I'll play. I like the class system, everything else was so so. Hopefully it runs better than the beta, which ran like crap over the weekend for whats shown on screen.

Either way, it will be a distraction away from WoW, which can be a good thing sometimes. I had already planned on canceling one of my WoW accounts so no extra cost playing this, and even will save 30 bucks compared to that WoW account for 6 months.

TheExodu5

Banned
1stStrike said:
Awesome! The CE on this game is really worth it IMO. Much more so then many other games.

Also, for those interested, detailed loot system information is up.

We've settled on using a modified Zero Sum DKP model.

I take it back. Clearly you're putting a lot of effort into this. Looks like the guild will be a success. :)

I'm half considering rolling Belmont now. Only thing is, I already do Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday raiding in WoW from 8-11:30...which would put me at a conflict. I'm not 100% I'll be raiding either yet...it all depends on how the end content is.

1stStrike

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I take it back. Clearly you're putting a lot of effort into this. Looks like the guild will be a success. :)

I'm half considering rolling Belmont now. Only thing is, I already do Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday raiding in WoW from 8-11:30...which would put me at a conflict. I'm not 100% I'll be raiding either yet...it all depends on how the end content is.

We're doing late night saturday raids and I'm going to try and fit 10 man raid rifts in on fridays or mondays. The end-game is something none of us have reached yet so I'm mostly just feeling things out right now. Definite schedules will come later on.

Also, thanks for the kind words. I setup the entire website myself, host it on my own server and have put a lot of thought into how I'd like to shape things. Ashodin is the leader, so I always ask him before I make anything official, but he seems to have been receptive to my ideas thus far (and I have much more free time then he does).

So, yeah, I'm going to make this guild a success. We have a lot of people on board so far and it'll be great once the game is live and we've gotten our community going.

TheExodu5

Banned
The website looks great. It's the first inoffensive guild website I've ever been to. :)

I'm very, very close to rolling Belmont now. I just need to convince my buddy (who is a gaffer, but a rare poster).

Somnia

So hyped! I had been scheduled to interview a new assistant manager at noon on Thursday on my day off, but I moved that shit to 10AM so I could be home for the second the head start begins =)

J-Rzez

Had a good time with this in the beta. The most polished beta and probably retail MMO to date. I'll be pre-ordering this tomorrow through them to get in the game thurs. Should be a good time.

1stStrike

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
The website looks great. It's the first inoffensive guild website I've ever been to. :)

I'm very, very close to rolling Belmont now. I just need to convince my buddy (who is a gaffer, but a rare poster).

It's up to you. Like I've told others, I'm not going to try and hype the guild or be like "you must join us or we're going to come watch you sleep like that creepy vampire guy from Twilight".

If you think you'd fit in with us, go for it. I can tell you this: I play a lot of PvP. I just prefer controlled PvP. I know Ash and others are into it as well. I don't like getting jumped while I'm out xping or having some douches come along and gank us while we're doing a raid rift and losing 2 hours of effort. I'd much rather go into warfronts with a party of guildies, coordinate over vent and dominate the guardians through skill.

Or, you know, you can just run into their territory and start killing people if you want to gank. I can almost guarantee you that newbies won't have pvp flagged off and someone will definitely come out to swarm you. At the end of OB a party of guardians came outside of Meridian and every lvl 40+ in the place was on them like a bear on honey.

A PvE server with the option to PvP is just the most balanced in my opinion. If you're set on hardcore PvP, then go for it. Worst case scenario, you can just make an alt and hang out with us when you get tired of being ganked :)

Edit:

Patching. 1.17 MB/s. About an hour remaining :)

1stStrike said:
It's up to you. Like I've told others, I'm not going to try and hype the guild or be like "you must join us or we're going to come watch you sleep like that creepy vampire guy from Twilight".

If you think you'd fit in with us, go for it. I can tell you this: I play a lot of PvP. I just prefer controlled PvP. I know Ash and others are into it as well. I don't like getting jumped while I'm out xping or having some douches come along and gank us while we're doing a raid rift and losing 2 hours of effort. I'd much rather go into warfronts with a party of guildies, coordinate over vent and dominate the guardians through skill.

Or, you know, you can just run into their territory and start killing people if you want to gank. I can almost guarantee you that newbies won't have pvp flagged off and someone will definitely come out to swarm you. At the end of OB a party of guardians came outside of Meridian and every lvl 40+ in the place was on them like a bear on honey.

A PvE server with the option to PvP is just the most balanced in my opinion. If you're set on hardcore PvP, then go for it. Worst case scenario, you can just make an alt and hang out with us when you get tired of being ganked :)

Edit:

Patching. 1.17 MB/s. About an hour remaining :)

HA! 1.5MB/s!
I win!

1stStrike said:
I might have to take you up on the offer. :)

AceBandage said:
HA! 1.5MB/s!
I win!
I was patching during the beta at 2.0+MB/s. ;)

1stStrike

Banned
AceBandage said:
HA! 1.5MB/s!
I win!

I'm getting an upgrade soon. They rolled out 15 MBps in my area which I'm getting ASAP. :)

Big Papa Husker said:
I might have to take you up on the offer. :)

We'd be happy to have ya. Gaffers are one of the best crowds I've played with and most everyone is a mature gamer. It's such a relief and really a driver for me to make this happen as I've been in some pretty terribad guilds in the past.

BigAT

3.06!

q5fwp.jpg

Who cares about the race to 50, the race to have the full
y worthless
client is what really matters.

Somnia

mmm and downloading at 1.5mb. Best thing is this is the launch client so we don't need to install the dvd when we pick it up on the 1st. Unless you did Digital download well then you don't even have to goto the store... =P

I am heavily leaning on sticking with my tank for the launch. We seem to have a really good influx of healers hitting the guild and I had a blast with my tank. Can't wait.

BigAT

Big Papa Husker said:
Wow, you're playing Rift too? Small world... :D
Yep!

To be honest this game wasn't even remotely on my radar (I hadn't even heard of it) until I got a free key for beta 5. After seeing how polished it was already I was impressed, but wavering about whether or not to buy the retail. I got pushed over the edge and preordered yesterday after a couple of RL friends decided to buy it.

Weenerz

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Had a good time with this in the beta. The most polished beta and probably retail MMO to date. I'll be pre-ordering this tomorrow through them to get in the game thurs. Should be a good time.

Do it via steam to get the TF2 weapons!

3.76mb/s, will be done in 35 minutes!

1stStrike

Banned
BigAT said:
Yep!

To be honest this game wasn't even remotely on my radar (I hadn't even heard of it) until I got a free key for beta 5. After seeing how polished it was already I was impressed, but wavering about whether or not to buy the retail. I got pushed over the edge and preordered yesterday after a couple of RL friends decided to buy it.

What a twist! :p

You gonna join up with us or hang out in your own clique?

nyong

Banned
Does anyone know whether you can copy/paste the retail client you download from the official site? I have a new MB/CPU coming and I plan to reformat...would be nice to have the download finished and ready to go.

BigAT

1stStrike said:
What a twist! :p

You gonna join up with us or hang out in your own clique?
My roommate and other friend are already rolling on Briarcliff (PvP), so I'll be joining them there. I'm definitely planning on having an alt in the GAF guild though.

1stStrike

Banned
nyong said:
Does anyone know whether you can copy/paste the retail client you download from the official site? I have a new MB/CPU coming and I plan to reformat...would be nice to have the download finished and ready to go.

Uh, I'm not 100% sure to be honest but generally not. Worst case scenario - copy it over and then run the "Recover" function if it reports something broken and it should auto-fix it.

BigAT said:
My roommate and other friend are already rolling on Briarcliff (PvP), so I'll be joining them there. I'm definitely planning on having an alt in the GAF guild though.

Ah, cool. I'm really surprised by the number of people taking an interest in Rift. It's going to be successful IMO.

nyong

Banned
1stStrike said:
Uh, I'm not 100% sure to be honest but generally not. Worst case scenario - copy it over and then run the "Recover" function if it reports something broken and it should auto-fix it.
Yeah, that was my plan. However, I know that typically programs that mess with the registry (which this does) won't copy/paste. I wish you downloaded an exe file instead of the patcher. It doesn't really matter, though. I just checked the shipping information and it looks like I won't be getting my hardware until the evening of the 24th....so I'll play a day with craptastic lag before sitting down to rebuild my PC. Downloading now...
Ah, cool. I'm really surprised by the number of people taking an interest in Rift. It's going to be successful IMO.
I hope so. I think it'll be as successful as Age of Conan...maybe a bit less. At least to start. Word of mouth should help quite a bit. The biggest thing going against it--the same thing that shrunk the population of EQII--is the system requirements. An older C2D is pretty much worthless.

1stStrike

Banned
Big Papa Husker said:
Does anyone know if there is a cutoff date to pre-order for headstart?

There's been no official word on the end of pre-orders. I'm guessing they go all the way up to right before the 1st though as that's the official release date. Once the headstart begins you can join at any time if you've pre-ordered.

nyong said:
I hope so. I think it'll be as successful as Age of Conan...maybe a bit less. At least to start. Word of mouth should help quite a bit. The biggest thing going against it--the same thing that shrunk the population of EQII--is the system requirements. An older C2D is pretty much worthless.

Most people are upgraded these days... and the production client should be more optimized then the beta client anyway. I realize that a lot of people probably can't afford to upgrade or don't want to, but I just can't play a game that looks like WoW or many of the older MMO's these days. That was mostly the #1 reason why I never ventured into WoW... I thought the whole game looked like shit.

Ashodin

1stStrike said:
Yeah, well, I have a head start and I'm almost done :eek: So there! I get to wait longer then you after installing it!

*wins at life*
We all get to the same start time together YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Concept17

Have the devs ever stated their reason for not having cloaks in the game? It doesn't really bother me...just interesting to not see them.

1stStrike

Banned
Maxrpg said:
We all get to the same start time together YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have to go grocery shopping on thursday as I'm nearly out of greek yogurt (that would be horrible). Going to try and get that done in the morning. Also, I'm kind of worried about being cut off on the 1st if UPS is slow with their delivery.

Concept17 said:
Have the devs ever stated their reason for not having cloaks in the game? It doesn't really bother me...just interesting to not see them.

I have no idea. I've seen it mentioned by other players on their forums but no official response or anything.

Somnia

Concept17 said:

Saved for an expansion! (probably)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'll be another person pre-ordering tomorrow to get in on the head start. Think I'll go Defiant, and roll a healer. Can't imagine not being a healer in an MMO.

1stStrike

Banned
Mr Nash said:
I'll be another person pre-ordering tomorrow to get in on the head start. Think I'll go Defiant, and roll a healer. Can't imagine not being a healer in an MMO.

Woot. Superior race ftw. :p

I can't imagine not being a rogue in an MMO. LotRO was the first one I've ever not played a rogue in after release and that was only because the Lore-Master was so bad ass :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ooo it's up. Time to download then.

I think I'm going to stick with a tank. It may be a bit slower to kill things at times, but the dragon is playing a Mage so things should be a little fine.

LowParry

I'm happy they're letting us go through PayPal for monthly payments. And I'm at 6.58gig. A little bit more to go! Huzzah!

speedpop said:

I think I'm going to stick with a tank. It may be a bit slower to kill things at times, but the dragon is playing a Mage so things should be a little fine.

Why not just start with a dps class warrior. You'll get to duel spec at lvl 13. Make things easier on ya. :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I was thinking that but I think I'd rather keep to the same callings as I selected so I can adjust and fiddle around with what I want and get used to it.

I mean, that's nothing against Paladins but I came to find that once you hit the 10+ levels is when Paladin starts to shine when it comes to their abilities. One rotation of my skills would usually kill a mob.

LowParry

1stStrike said:
Hah, all you suckers still dling - once you finish the client there's another 819.6 MB patch to download :p

Goddamn. What is this, a total of a 9 gig client? I really hope the final client pumps out some more fps. Heavy rifts I was pulling just barely below 30 at high settings. I like my 60 fps :D

Einbroch

Banned
speedpop said:

Beautiful thing about Rift (and WoW now with dual specs)...level as a DPS Warrior! Just switch your role whenever you need to heal up with some self-heals or when you want to pull a large group. I want to play Archon but they suck at killing things, which is why it's my max level/instance role.

Edit: Beaten like a Shaman.

1stStrike

Banned
The patch is apparently about 2.36 gb uncompressed because it was bitching at me for not having enough space on my SSD. I had to uninstall Fallout: New Vegas (not that I'll ever finish it anyway).

So here's a question - anyone know if there's a way to change video settings *before* running the game? It takes my projector like 30 seconds to change resolutions to the one the game used by default during the beta, I don't wanna miss anything in the final version.

Top Bottom