• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Morn

Banned
So people guess Blizzard is running scared because they put the 4.1 patch on the PTR over night.

And EA Mythic disabled the ability for people to cancel their WAR subscription.

1stStrike

Banned
Morn said:
So people guess Blizzard is running scared because they put the 4.1 patch on the PTR over night.

*shrug* I don't care what either of those games do :)

Wallach

Morn said:

EA Mythic didn't remove the ability for people to cancel their WAR subscription.

Dunlop

Morn said:

lol, I can't believe WAR is still kicking, it had a lot of promise but I ran screaming after about of week of taking zones which meant staring sticking in the same spot staring at a timer, not able to leave until the zone flipped...meanwhile the opposition is doing that at another zone.

Also their content patches involved changing the rules of how to kill the bosses in Lost Vale and LOTD while dropping the same loot.

On the plus side collision detection was fucking awesome...Rift seems to have incorporated a lot of features from WAR, why not this?!?!?

Wallach

Fourman said:
I read the cancel button disappeared on the account management page yesterday. Might be back up now?

It was back up within like an hour. It was posted and scheduled site maintenance.

Morn

Banned
Dunlop said:
lol, I can't believe WAR is still kicking, it had a lot of promise but I ran screaming after about of week of taking zones which meant staring sticking in the same spot staring at a timer, not able to leave until the zone flipped...meanwhile the opposition is doing that at another zone.

Also their content patches involved changing the rules of how to kill the bosses in Lost Vale and LOTD while dropping the same loot.

On the plus side collision detection was fucking awesome...Rift seems to have incorporated a lot of features from WAR, why not this?!?!?

Because collision detection is the favorite tool of griefers. It's too easy to block in another player. Block a door, go /afk.

Rapstah

I sadly don't expect to actually get into a working server until tomorrow. This head start is a pretty damn genious concept though, they're releasing the big load split in two parts which should be way more possible to handle for any server.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
wow, almost all the servers have a Queue already.

Edit: Ok, all but 2 servers have a Queue now.

Edit 2: Now all servers have a Queue.

mxgt

Banned
7QgJG.jpg

This should be fun

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well 1 of 2 things just happened:

1.) Max server pop is currently based on newbie zones only.
2.) There was a gross miscalculation on number of needed servers.

mxgt

Banned
My queue is moving pretty fast, no way will this take 8 hours.

Kind of silly to only have 2 English PVP servers for EU :/

Wallach

Suikoguy said:
Well 1 of 2 things just happened:

1.) Max server pop is currently based on newbie zones only.
2.) There was a gross miscalculation on number of needed servers.

It's possible they enabled queues at player 1 to prevent server crashes.

Suikoguy

Wallach said:

Do they have newbie area instancing?

Otherwise, the newbie areas must be a nightmare right about now.

Wallach

Suikoguy said:
Do they have newbie area instancing?

Otherwise, the newbie areas must be a nightmare right about now.

The first 5-6 levels take place in a separate instance but I don't know how if it's just one instance separate for the starting area or if that will splinter at a certain number of players. Everything beyond that is not instanced.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Hehe, I logged in right as the servers went up and didn't have to wait. :p Don't have much time to play right now, but fiddling with a shaman for leveling purposes. On Belmont waiting for neogaf people.

Swag

Wallach said:

They probably did this.

I'd imagine a slow trickle of players is easier to deal with then servers going down completely. Also effects a smaller population

Rapstah

The starter area is definitely not splitting from many players, there are THOUSANDS on Belmont. Or hundreds I guess.

Suikoguy

Rapstah said:
The starter area is definitely not splitting from many players, there are THOUSANDS on Belmont. Or hundreds I guess.

I was wondering how that would work, lol. Sounds like a good idea to just wait til later today if you have better things to do.

Suikoguy

Looks like Deepwood and Stonecrest were just brought up.

The good news is that there are multiple instances of the starter zones, so things aren't completely chaotic. The bad news is that there appears to have been a gross miscalculation of the number of servers required, since every server seems to have a queue of a thousand or more.

Ricker

Down to 600 in queue now on Belmont,estimated time of 2 hours....typical,no one ever gets it right from beta to release and this is a headstart to supposedly avoid these kind of things...oh well,i`ll check the EURO servers,got to make a guy over there also anyway...

Rapstah

HiddenWings said:
The good news is that there are multiple instances of the starter zones, so things aren't completely chaotic. The bad news is that there appears to have been a gross miscalculation of the number of servers required, since every server seems to have a queue of a thousand or more.
I think there are tresholds where the instanced starter zones kick in. I've noticed there are fewer players competing over stuff now that there were right at 10.

I actually got into Belmont right at 10, but I am having some graphical issues with the game. I had no character at the character creation screen and when I logged into the game, I couldn't see anything. I updated the drivers to my graphics card and now in position 520 with about a 2 hour wait in the queue. Can't wait to actually get in game.

Einbroch

Banned
I think they're artificially trickling in people. Queue numbers are dropping REALLY quick...1900 to 1100 in 18 minutes.

Top Bottom