• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
Most of us are around lvl 10 atm. It's still pretty hectic so the overall goal right now is to just get leveled up and get out of freemarch :)

Didn't realize they were taking down the servers, was pretty funny. One guy in chat, right before they went down, said "This is the best launch ever, I cant believe the servers havent crashed yet".

Wallach

1stStrike said:
Most of us are around lvl 10 atm. It's still pretty hectic so the overall goal right now is to just get leveled up and get out of freemarch :)

I'm lagging a bit behind because I take forever creating a character. Well, that and the initial queue.

I'll catch up pretty quick though. I went Sentinel in the end, I like the idea of Purifier but I'm not leveling with it, you don't even get any attacks besides the ones you start with until like 36 (and even then it's only one more damage spell). I'd rather get pew pew lasers until then.

If any of you guys want a healer along msg me (Wallach in-game).

Edit - BTW if you ordered from D2D they just recently sent out the codes for the exclusive undead kitten pet, check your e-mails.

Swag

Freakinchair said:
Didn't realize they were taking down the servers, was pretty funny. One guy in chat, right before they went down, said "This is the best launch ever, I cant believe the servers havent crashed yet".

14e6yox.jpg

rofl nice avatar

TheExodu5

Banned
Freakinchair said:
Bastard jinxed it.

Ricker

Damn,after waiting it out for 1 hour,I finally get on Belmont only to have the server crash in the middle of character creation... opening day woes are a bitch hehe...

1stStrike

Banned
Ricker said:
Damn,after waiting it out for 1 hour,I finally get on Belmont only to have the server crash in the middle of character creation... opening day woes are a bitch hehe...

Heh it didn't crash. Went down for maintenance. It'll be back up shortly :)

My friends all decided we're rolling on Sunrest. I've been in queue since 1pm today, so almost 4 hours. Every time I get down to about ~50 in the queue (from a starting point of 350 or so), I get disconnected and have to start over.

I'm seeing these server restarts as my chance to get in.

Carm

Pretty disappointed with the performance, no change from open beta. No excuse that I can't maintain 30fps with no one around me on lowest settings. Stutters every few steps loading when riding around on my deformed turtle.

Performance issues aside, I still like the class system though I'm just winging it with what works best. Playing a Ranger/Marksman/Bard and right now going heavy Ranger/with some bard, not sure if I should change that up to just rng/mm with zero in bard or not. I dig the party buffs so I dunno. For some reason it seems the low lvl dmg abilities for the bard are much better than the ranger ones, I don't get that.

Phenom II x4 945 3GHz
4gig ram
EVGA 460 GTX SC
Win 7 64bit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Lower graphics? :/

View distance and shadows both have a huge impact. Supersampling should only be enabled on high end SLI systems.

1stStrike

Banned
Carm said:
Pretty disappointed with the performance, no change from open beta. No excuse that I can't maintain 30fps with no one around me on lowest settings. Stutters every few steps loading when riding around on my deformed turtle.

Performance issues aside, I still like the class system though I'm just winging it with what works best. Playing a Ranger/Marksman/Bard and right now going heavy Ranger/with some bard, not sure if I should change that up to just rng/mm with zero in bard or not. I dig the party buffs so I dunno. For some reason it seems the low lvl dmg abilities for the bard are much better than the ranger ones, I don't get that.

Phenom II x4 945 3GHz
4gig ram
EVGA 460 GTX SC
Win 7 64bit.

You've got some other issue. What drivers are you running? I've got the latest nvidia drivers from z-tweaked and the same card as you with an AMD 955 OC'd, my 460 GTX OC'd and 8 GB of ram. So, fairly similar system and I'm seeing 44 - 50 FPS with no skips or stuttering. Everything is maxed. Just don't have AA on as I think it looks worse then edge.

Carm said:

Phenom II x4 945 3GHz
4gig ram
EVGA 460 GTX SC
Win 7 64bit.
I have a Bard/Ranger/Nightblade build right now. I use splinter shot to open my attacks, followed by a cadence and then a coda of wrath finisher. I agree that the ranger moves aren't as powerful as the Bard ones. The best part about the ranger is getting that pet to do extra damage and tank for you.

I am running on a Phenon II x3 @3.4ghz, 4gb of ram and a 5770, running on Win 7 64 bit. Quite a similar set up to yours. I have my settings on High and seem to be maintaining at least 30fps. Before the servers went down and I was around hundreds of people, it seemed to drop to below 30.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jesus fucking christ. Less than a minute of the servers coming back up, Wolfsbane hits 600+ queue.

Rapstah

Had to quit at level 7 for today. Tomorrow will at least let me play earlier which should mean quests possible to complete!

Carm

I haven't updated my drivers to the newest official ones because of other issues I had with other games but hopefully that will help. Currently using 260.99 I have a sneaking suspicion it's the engine they are using, gamebyro engine. Every game I have with that engine I have issues.

This is what Fallout New Vegas does without using a mod to fix it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1cxogzb7Q

Morn

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
The Goon Squad guild name was ninja'd on Briarthorn.

Bitter tears, Goon Squad. Bitter tears.

That's awesome. Actually Trion should have added the name to the name filter to prevent them from screwing up any server.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of glad I'm at work and not able to play right now. I guess one way to look positively on the queues is that at least it shows the game is doing pretty damn well! I might be starting and playing on the Euro servers for a couple of weeks just to avoid queue hell. I got around 150-200ms ping when playing on them during beta (compared to 80-120ms on US servers), so they are definitely playable!

TheExodu5

Banned
~80fps average. 50-60 in rifts. 35-40 in Briarthorn main city (in Beta).

1080p Ultra. No supersampling, as it cuts my framerate in half.

The game becomes network bound in cities, as neither my CPU or GPU get maxed. At least I think so. Could be a thread holding it back.

Running:

2500K @ 4.6GHz
2x GTX 570
8GB DDR 3
Windows 7 64-bit

Ashodin

Working to try to get online guys, having a decent bit of trouble with my PC. I switched over to Windows 7 to improve performance.

Scum

Pre ordered mine a few days ago from Steam but I'm stuck at work, missing out! :-(
Which warrior spec will allow my sassy char to strap a greatsword to her back to cause all kinds of trouble? ;-)

speedpop

Why do MMO developers continue to ignore the Oceanic region at launches? The only one that seemed to get it absolutely right was Mythic with Warhammer.

Scum said:
Pre ordered mine a few days ago from Steam but I'm stuck at work, missing out! :-(
Which warrior spec will allow my sassy char to strap a greatsword to her back to cause all kinds of trouble? ;-)
Champion.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Back from my errands, and it's time to get down to things. About a 30 minute wait to get on to Belmont. Kinda botched my cleric build though because I misunderstood how the specs work, so am stuck with a shaman/sentinel atm. I'll fix that first chance I get. Anyway, time to steamroll to 50. I've got pretty much nothing on my plate for the next three days, so could be doable.

Morn

Banned
speedpop said:
Why do MMO developers continue to ignore the Oceanic region at launches? The only one that seemed to get it absolutely right was Mythic with Warhammer.

And look where that got Warhammer. They're down to two servers now.

Morn

Banned
Goon Squad just fucked themselves.

Since their named was ninja'ed they stole Sturmgrenadier's name.

Sturmgrenadier has TRADEMARKED their guild name and are threatening to sue over it.

Morn

Banned
wayward archer said:
There was a rumor that the hard cap was 1500 but someone from Trion yesterday said this was false.

They won't disclose the actual number though.

Hartsman said during the dev rountable that they haven't actually hit the cap on any server yet. But they adjust the queues in real time based on a lot of different factors.

speedpop

Morn said:
And look where that got Warhammer. They're down to two servers now.
The ability to cater to a large PC-centric population by creating local servers (and not just labeling them as such i.e. WoW) has nothing to do with Mythics overstatements and being pushed off a cliff by EA. The sad truth is once I actually get into Wolfsbane then within the week when most things die down Trion will eventually open up new servers under an Oceanic banner and split the population even further. The same shit happened with WoW.

wayward archer said:
There was a rumor that the hard cap was 1500 but someone from Trion yesterday said this was false.

They won't disclose the actual number though.
Morn said:
Hartsman said during the dev rountable that they haven't actually hit the cap on any server yet. But they adjust the queues in real time based on a lot of different factors.
I'm inclined to think it possibly is related to real-time numbers due to the queue numbers dropping at a rapid pace at times (such as going from 800 to 500 in a matter of 20 seconds) and slowing up at others. I imagine a lot of the problems currently are due to the instanced starter zones and giving people enough time to get their character through it and out the door. It's a great idea but it's created a bit of a bottleneck.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Btw, is it easy to respec in this game? without costing huge amounts of money? And how does it work, you have a rogue level, you can respec in any subclass you want? What about armor weapons, sets for every subclass?

Morn

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Btw, is it easy to respec in this game? without costing huge amounts of money? And how does it work, you have a rogue level, you can respec in any subclass you want? What about armor weapons, sets for every subclass?

IIRC respec costs are based on your points spent in the trees as opposed to how many times you respec.

Top Bottom