• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Tworak said:
the queue rage on the official forums is funny

To some degree it's understandable.
If you logged in shortly after it launched, I think every single one of those servers has a very long queue. Now they are telling people to pick quieter servers, IE the ones they just added.

Tworak

Suikoguy said:
If you logged in shortly after it launched, I think every single one of those servers has a very long queue. Now they are telling people to pick quieter servers, IE the ones they just added.
it's only understandable to me if this is their first MMO. servers will normalize, get increased capacity and queues will (mostly) disappear.

people threatening to quit due to a 3 hour queue on launch day is incredibly hilarious.

rObit

Banned
Comp decided to reboot itself mid-quest. Back to sitting in the queue =( Loving this game though, my willingness to sit in a queue for an hour and a half shows how much I enjoy it. Trion has been pretty quick on their feet thus far, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for these queues to die down.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Suikoguy said:

It is kind of funny. On these forums and other MMORPG forums I frequent, people just kind of shrug at the queues. They suck, but anyone who has played a couple of MMORPGs know they are kind of unavoidable, especially at launch.

Also: anyone on Byriel server/Defiant? A couple of friends started there so I am playing there. Let me know!

Flambe

328 in queue! My 8 hour wait is coming to fruition!

I'm going to have to stay up till like 4am to make this worth it :S

Oh sweet!
D2D gave me a free Rift pet.
:D

Also, it's insane that they passed 1 million subscribers already.
Wasn't WoW only at like 600K their first week?

1stStrike

Banned
Blackface said:
Been in Que since 5:30 PM

It's 1:10 am

What a joke.

Pretty much like this on launch day for any popular MMO. Unfortunately, Belmont is one of the more popular servers. It'll subside.

Entropia

No One Remembers
1stStrike said:
Pretty much like this on launch day for any popular MMO. Unfortunately, Belmont is one of the more popular servers. It'll subside.

Just to confirm - that's the server you guys are on right?

Blackface

Banned
1stStrike said:

Been trying to get on Briarcliff. Also, been playing MMO's since UO, and never have I ever been in a que that lasted 7 hours - 8 hours. Never have I been in a que that lasted more then two.

Got in and got my character created.

rift%202011-02-25%2000-47-26-99.bmp

rift%202011-02-25%2000-46-12-39.bmp

Now off to bed!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
Oh sweet!
D2D gave me a free Rift pet.
:D

Also, it's insane that they passed 1 million subscribers already.
Wasn't WoW only at like 600K their first week?

Where did you get the 1 million subscribers figure from?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I played on a pvp server without any queue last night, actually one friend was on another server, i tried to join his one but the queue was way high, so i told him to try mine, he logged immediately.

Lvl 11 assassin :D

sturmdogg

I'm thinking of picking this game up, but I don't think I have enough free time to play hard core. How is this game for us casual gamers?

1stStrike

Banned
sturmdogg said:
I'm thinking of picking this game up, but I don't think I have enough free time to play hard core. How is this game for us casual gamers?

It's pretty easy to play casual. You can just follow the quests and get quite a bit done in a short time.

I didn't quite make my goal tonight since they increased the difficulty of Jakub (he whooped my ass solo all the way up to 19 - i only beat him when a nice healer dude joined up and helped me out).

But, lvl 19 isn't too bad for the first day. We did some group pvp and didn't do too bad. It was fun, though we won about as much as we lost all in all. This was really a great first day for us and I can't wait to hit the game some more as I'll be moving on to stonefield when I wake up.

Oh and the server is going down right now for a minor patch so expect to download that when you next login.

BigAT

At 8:30 AM EST this morning, you could get into every single server instantly...except for Briarcliff which was full with a 400 person queue.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Played a Mage(Pyro/Lock/something) to level 8 - that was fun

Then a Cleric(Purif/Sent/Warden) to level 10 - did this with a buddy, so I didn't really do much damage wise.

Overall it was pretty fun, can't wait to try the instances.

I was going to set up with a few friends on Wolfsbane, but...

queue.png

This was at about 1:30 EST. We got established elsewhere later in the evening.

I only had about twenty minutes to kill last night - no way I was going to make it onto Belmont so I went to another server (forgot which) and fooled around a bit.

Got onto Belmont this morning without issue and rolled my Defiant cleric. Didn't get out of the prologue yet though. I wish they'd let you skip it if you wanted- I've already seen it. I just want my levels, my points, and access to the main world.

Finally got on Belmont this morning (Med Population).

Rolled an Eth Paragon/Paladin/Void Knight and got him through the starter zone.

If I can get on the server tonight I would like to join the guild so I'll try and contact the appropriate people in game...

rObit

Banned
Logged on this morning to see how queue times were before heading out to class. Got right in, can't wait to hop in for the rest of the day.

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah, I just got on with no queue (logged in at 1 pm EST). Seems fine. I'll be on the rest of the day if there's anyone not in the guild yet.

With my 4870x2 struggling to play this game on anything other than low/med, I am thinking about getting a GTX580 to replace it. I'm just wondering if my processor is the actually bottleneck, not the 4870x2 . I have a C2D E8600 3.33 ghz with 8GB RAM.

Swag

Big Papa Husker said:
With my 4870x2 struggling to play this game on anything other than low/med, I am thinking about getting a GTX580 to replace it. I'm just wondering if my processor is the actually bottleneck, not the 4870x2 . I have a C2D E8600 3.33 ghz with 8GB RAM.

Could be, I was running it on Ultra with a 4890, but I have an i5

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Big Papa Husker said:

Rift is very CPU intensive.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Man, that Rift invasion that spawns what seems like 50 rifts all over the zone outside Meridian, and summons multiple 644k+ hp mobs, is just nuts! Good times, though. I love the dynamic content in this game.

Hit 14 last night, got up to 16 today, so much fun.

Iadien said:
Rift is very CPU intensive.
Damn, thats not what I wanted to hear. I was planning on waiting on the 6 core Sandy Bridge cpus. Heck, can you even get the current Sandy Bridge stuff now because of that SATA problem?

Carm

So, I updated my nvidia drivers to the latest official ones, zero performance gain. Even on the min setting using the low quality renderer(looks like EQ1), it stutters when walking around, no matter if I'm at 60fps with vsync on, or higher with vsync off. FPS drops to high teens in Rifts with a lot of people around on those settings too.

It's definitely because of the engine they are using, my hardware just doesn't like Gamebyro. Shame there isn't a community fix for it like New Vegas and Fallout 3.

This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1cxogzb7Q shows the issue I'm having. It can be running at a rock solid 60fps and it will still do this. With New Vegas I can use this mod/fix http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35262 to completely eliminate the stuttering. This stuttering happens in Divinity II: DKS(again Gamebyro engine) as well for me, but I don't know of a mod to fix it.

Carm said:
So, I updated my nvidia drivers to the latest official ones, zero performance gain. Even on the min setting using the low quality renderer(looks like EQ1), it stutters when walking around, no matter if I'm at 60fps with vsync on, or higher with vsync off. FPS drops to high teens in Rifts with a lot of people around on those settings too.

It's definitely because of the engine they are using, my hardware just doesn't like Gamebyro. Shame there isn't a community fix for it like New Vegas and Fallout 3.

This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1cxogzb7Q shows the issue I'm having. It can be running at a rock solid 60fps and it will still do this. With New Vegas I can use this mod/fix http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35262 to completely eliminate the stuttering. This stuttering happens in Divinity II: DKS(again Gamebyro engine) as well for me, but I don't know of a mod to fix it.
What card do you have?

nyong

Banned
Carm said:
Try forcing DX9. Right click on your launch icon and append "-dx9" without the quotes to the end of the target ("C:\Program Files\RIFT Game\riftpatchlive.exe"-dx9)

Top Bottom