• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rift: Planes of Telara |OT|

Effect

Hmm. Glad I pre-ordered the box copy from Amazon.com and not the digital version or I'd be screwed right now. Just canceled that and I'll be sure to keep the email of the confirmation. Played for a few minutes and realized something. While the game came off polished (ran well on my system), and I liked the design of it, I realized any excitement I had just disappeared. I could care less that I was playing. I knew I had some burnout to a degree in regards to MMOs for a while now but didn't realize just how bad it was.

I had planned on spending all day tomorrow playing the game since I had a extra day off. Now that isn't going to happen. The spell effects were very nice. The little part of the story I read was interesting. I think I'm going to take a pass on the game. At least at this point in time. If my burnout goes away I have no problem at all purchasing this game. The game itself, so far, hasn't left me with any negative impressions. The UI takes all that is good about other games like Everquest 2 and WoW so it was easy to dive right in. Just no desire to play. :(

I really should have taken the time to play the beta since I did have a invite for it. Just never got around to it due to the download.

shoplifter

Morn said:
Goon Squad just fucked themselves.

Since their named was ninja'ed they stole Sturmgrenadier's name.

Sturmgrenadier has TRADEMARKED their guild name and are threatening to sue over it.
you have things off by just a bit about Goon Squad getting ninja'd. just a bit.

Effect

Morn said:
Did you even play past the tutorial?

Me? No. Like said it has nothing to do with the game itself. My impressions of it are positive. Just no desire to play at all and it just extends to the genre itself when I think more about it.

Just joined Belmont Queue:

Average wait 5 hours. Then it dropped to 3 hours within a minute. Now it's gone up slightly.

First day of MMOs... always a fun time.

Subxero

wayward archer said:
Just joined Belmont Queue:

Average wait 5 hours. Then it dropped to 3 hours within a minute. Now it's gone up slightly.

First day of MMOs... always a fun time.

I'm down to just over a hour to get in to Belmont now. I have been waiting about 40 minutes so far.

nataku

How many people in the GAF guild are going Rogue? I wish there was a poll on the guild website so I could decide easier.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone know what the AFK timer is? I'm raiding tonight in WoW, but am going to finish my queue in maybe an hour and a half. I'll tab back in now and again to not time out.

Weenerz

Banned
Most likely I will be going rogue/bard, but since my work schedule isn't so great during the week, I won't be taking a raid spot.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
TheExodu5 said:
Anyone know what the AFK timer is? I'm raiding tonight in WoW, but am going to finish my queue in maybe an hour and a half. I'll tab back in now and again to not time out.
It's rather large, or at least it was during Beta. Was able to AFK for 30 mins once.

LowParry

1stStrike said:

I like that. However I'm trying for a Sab/Ranger type of style. At high levels I may switch up from Ranger/Sab but the combination of abilities look good to me. But I'll probably take this slow in a way because I'll be leveling professions in the process.

Edit: Just to give ya an idea of what I plan on playing around with:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MTNM.iMMcE0xkko.EG0c0coc.0V

Morn

Banned
Server message just went out that the rate that people are signing up has shot past anything they saw in beta.

Hawk269

Darkshier said:
Queues are going by fast. 30 minutes ago I had a 3 hour wait, it is now down to 25 minutes.

When I started it said I had a 4 1/2 hour wait. 30 min real time later, it says 1 hour 50 minutes...UPDATE...well it is all over the place now....the lowest I got was 1hour 50 min, then it went back up to 2 1/2 hours, then back to 2 hours and then going back and forth between 1hr 58 and 2hr and 8min. Que started at 680, now at 462 on Belmont.

So being a noob to the MMO world, is this a good sign that every server is full with maybe the exception of 2 or 3 of them? A follow-up question, is this good for a head start program? I could understand retail release, but to me it seems like the game is a rousing success already and retail has not hit yet.

I can tell you that it was no where near the volume of DC Universe...on launch there were several servers at low pop levels for the whole day.

I have a E8600 3.33GHZ, 8GB Ram and a 4870x2 and I am getting HORRIBLE FPS. In the first area after going through the portal my FPS drops to 10 FPS on Ultra. I dropped to Medium and it isn't much better, only 20FPS. One of my friends has a AMD Phenom II 865 Black, 6GB Ram and a 5870 and is getting 30-35 in town on Ultra.

Does anyone else have a similar build as me? How is your performance?

BigAT

Are all the other servers out there as bad as Briarcliff is? I joined back only 5-10 minutes after the servers came back online and I was already 2100 in line to get in. It's 3 hours later now and I'm still 900+ in queue.

TheExodu5

Banned
Briarcliff is by far the most populated server out there. By a large margin.

I was going to go Briarcliff, but decided to go Reclaimer instead.

I just got to Regent's Cove and checked my mail, but the mount isn't there, only the rune and the preorder pet. :| Any idea why? Is it because I preordered the physical CE from Amazon and not the digital one?

Weenerz

Banned
Big Papa Husker said:
I just got to Regent's Cove and checked my mail, but the mount isn't there. :| Any idea why? Is it because I preordered the physical CE from Amazon and not the digital one?

Most likely, you will have to apply the CE code to your account when you receive the game in the mail. That's what I did for the TF2 hat.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TheExodu5 said:
Shadows aren't working for me. =\ No character shadows.

Shadows are also dependent on your lighting setting.

Not that I could get into the game to check.. lol

amrod

We realize that some of you are still waiting to get logged into the game. The problem is that many people are choosing the same few servers. We are seeing long waits on some servers while there is little or no wait on others. We understand that some of you chose specific servers ahead of time. But it might be better to choose a different one now that there are a few that are pretty packed. We can keep opening servers but we have no control over how many people choose one over the other.
If you are in a long queue, please consider joining another server with a lower population. No matter how many servers we open, it doesn't help fix the situation if everyone is lining up for the same few servers.

Bellmont = 500+ when I logged in and 3 hour wait
Silkweb = 3 ppl ahead of me....

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
amrod said:
We realize that some of you are still waiting to get logged into the game. The problem is that many people are choosing the same few servers. We are seeing long waits on some servers while there is little or no wait on others. We understand that some of you chose specific servers ahead of time. But it might be better to choose a different one now that there are a few that are pretty packed. We can keep opening servers but we have no control over how many people choose one over the other.
If you are in a long queue, please consider joining another server with a lower population. No matter how many servers we open, it doesn't help fix the situation if everyone is lining up for the same few servers.

Bellmont = 500+ when I logged in and 3 hour wait
Silkweb = 3 ppl ahead of me....

Why did you copy and paste from the forum without attributing it?
Do you work for Trion?

Anyways, they should have released with the number of servers they have now, then added more if needed. They grossly miscalculated the number of servers needed. Not by a few, but by 10+.

Secondly, if all of your friends are on one server, people are not going to re roll unless you have free character transfers. The newbie area is bad enough to play through more then once.

BigAT

Flambe said:
Yeah... stuck with stupid Briarcliff unless the people I'm with wanna leave -_-
Yeah, I'm bailing on Briarcliff. That server is going to be a complete mess...possibly forever. I was on a similar server when WoW launched and things never got better. After many months of awful conditions they finally allowed a free transfer off the server to a lower population one.

LowParry

We rolled on the Wolfsbane server. Started out slow as usual but kicked in nice afterwards. However the cue time waits are around 1300 or so...and this was like 15 mins ago.

Hawk269

Well it is too early for Trion to offer free transfers, but it might not be a bad idea for them to still offer it in about 2 weeks. I guess what I mean is, tell your customers today "We realize that you cannot get on the server you want, so roll on another server and when you want "2 weeks from now" transfer you character to the server you want we will do it for free". The only issue with this is if the majority want a specific server.

I have been waiting since about 430pm PST, it is now 6:50 and it says I am 68 in the que about 10 minutes.

Hawk269

BTW..Have they said how many people are allowed per server? Someone mentioned that they thought it was about 3000 or so, but mathmatically that does not seem right. If they claimed over 1mill pre-order, you can assume about 800,000 of those are tying to get on today or tomorrow. With about 24 servers at last count, that would no way be enough and all of them except for 3 were full.

I am a noon at MMO's so have no clue about server capacity etc...just curious.

Einbroch

Banned
Rerolling on Stonecrest. Still a queue, but it's only 200 people.

It might settle, but I'm not willing to invest the time on a "might".

Quagm1r3

TheExodu5 said:
Briarcliff is by far the most populated server out there. By a large margin.

I was going to go Briarcliff, but decided to go Reclaimer instead.

Briarcliff queue is ridiculous. A friend of mine wants to roll on there cause of a 200 man guild that's going there, but 20 hour queue? Really?

Suikoguy

Hawk269 said:
Well it is too early for Trion to offer free transfers, but it might not be a bad idea for them to still offer it in about 2 weeks. I guess what I mean is, tell your customers today "We realize that you cannot get on the server you want, so roll on another server and when you want "2 weeks from now" transfer you character to the server you want we will do it for free". The only issue with this is if the majority want a specific server.

I have been waiting since about 430pm PST, it is now 6:50 and it says I am 68 in the que about 10 minutes.

I see your point, but that's why you don't allow transfers to the servers with high pop.

Take all of your servers, order then by population, then take the top 50% and don't allow transfers to them.

BigAT

Einbroch said:
Rerolling on Stonecrest. Still a queue, but it's only 200 people.

It might settle, but I'm not willing to invest the time on a "might".
I'm heading to Stonecrest as well. Guardian style.

I think they really screwed up by holding back so many servers and then rolling them out throughout the day today. They clearly had all of these servers available (you don't just create a new MMO server in a couple of hours), but by holding them back for whatever reason, everyone made their plans on just the few that were available. Had they just set forth this huge this from the start, the population would be much more spread out and balanced instead of people being hesitant to move to a lower population server because they planned to play on a different one.

BigAT said:
Yeah, I'm bailing on Briarcliff. That server is going to be a complete mess...possibly forever. I was on a similar server when WoW launched and things never got better. After many months of awful conditions they finally allowed a free transfer off the server to a lower population one.
Come to Ragulos. There are short queues on here - less than a minute in some cases.

Ashodin

riftcermcw.jpg

riftce277c5.jpg

Lookie what I got

Top Bottom